Wordament now on iOS

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft just ticked me off.

Mixed reactions on Wordament. On one hand, WP just lost an exclusive but on the other hand, we get to play with friends on iOS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Who cares. I've paid for an amazing phone that I enjoyed even before this move, I am still going to enjoy it. Microsoft can't tick me off so easy. It is a business and they are doing it right. I am a customer and enjoying my phone purchase like day 1. Happy days.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I agree about the Wordament thing being a mixed bag. On the one hand, WP really needs some "killer apps". That's what makes an OS a success, and if MS keeps porting our best apps to iOS and Android, our OS will never take off. Good OS's have failed because of the lack of exclusive, killer apps. Look at webOS. That was an excellent OS, but they never got an app that you couldn't get on another, bigger platform. I got my wife an iPhone for Christmas (gave it to her early) and she wasn't sure if she wanted to keep it, and one of the big reasons was she missed playing Wordament. Well, she is pretty happy this morning.

On the other hand, cross platform apps could also help WP grow. If people see that the game all their friends play with each other is also on Windows Phone, they won't feel like they will be left out of the fun by going with WP. I know I have personally considered leaving WP because I want to be part of the games my friends all play with each other and talk about.

So ya, Wordament is a mixed bag but Zombie Run! sucks.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Whether iOS has Wordament or not, I can still play it, that's all that matters. But what I'm concerned about is that more efforts may go to updating the iOS version, since I believe there's a larger user base, and we may get left behind. That's NOT okay with me. Unless Wordament has a separate team working on the iOS version, I'm disappointed by the news.

On the other hand, I don't use RZR so it doesn't really concern me. No comments.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Wordament did not give up on WP. They just added another platform. And Zombies, Run! while a cool app/game, it isn't really all that popular even in iOS/Android. For one, it's $8 for a running app with some very basic gaming.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Mixed reactions on Wordament. On one hand, WP just lost an exclusive but on the other hand, we get to play with friends on iOS.

Who cares. I've paid for an amazing phone that I enjoyed even before this move, I am still going to enjoy it. Microsoft can't tick me off so easy. It is a business and they are doing it right. I am a customer and enjoying my phone purchase like day 1. Happy days.

I agree about the Wordament thing being a mixed bag. On the one hand, WP really needs some "killer apps". That's what makes an OS a success, and if MS keeps porting our best apps to iOS and Android, our OS will never take off. Good OS's have failed because of the lack of exclusive, killer apps. Look at webOS. That was an excellent OS, but they never got an app that you couldn't get on another, bigger platform. I got my wife an iPhone for Christmas (gave it to her early) and she wasn't sure if she wanted to keep it, and one of the big reasons was she missed playing Wordament. Well, she is pretty happy this morning.

On the other hand, cross platform apps could also help WP grow. If people see that the game all their friends play with each other is also on Windows Phone, they won't feel like they will be left out of the fun by going with WP. I know I have personally considered leaving WP because I want to be part of the games my friends all play with each other and talk about.

So ya, Wordament is a mixed bag but Zombie Run! sucks.

yeah I don't think it's a big deal at all. I dont know anyone who bought a Windows Phone because of Wordament. I didn't even know it existed before I got my phone. I think this move gives us something we need, the ability to play games with people on iOS and Android. hopefully its the first of many. that being said, we DO need a few exclusives, but I don't think it's a big deal. I'd rather be able to be accepted by other OS than have exclusive games that I can't play with any of my friends.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Let's face it. "Killer apps" are only killer apps if everyone knows about them.

Wordament is a really fun game. But it wasn't going to be a killer app for Windows Phone because hardly anyone knew about it. We'd just be playing together talking about how great it is. Yet it would do nothing for iOS users who have never played it.

When iOS and Android users play it, they'll find a great game that was on WP first. "What game is this? It's fun. Where did it come from? Oh, it was on WP first?"

It can help legitimize WP as a platform to others. There may be good games on WP first. Games they never heard of, like Wordament.

In the end, if you really like WP, you can't be afraid of certain games being available elsewhere. You either like the whole design philosophy behind the OS or you don't. And that design philosophy is what will eventually win new users, not some exclusive word games that remain largely unknown.

I completely understand when someone says that they can't go with WP doesn't have an app or game that they feel they need. I don't understand when some people want to jump ship just because someone else happens to also have something that we have.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I think the biggest thing that happened in this is allowing achievements on the ios platform. That was the one thing I could tell my friends why these phones are so kickass

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

WP doesn't need EXCLUSIVE killer apps. This isn't a closed ecosystem world anymore. WP needs killer apps that are cross-platform. I have friends that are die-hard apple or android fans. They wont change, but I still want apps that can communicate with them. I want to be able to play Wordament with my friends if they start playing it (now I have to tell me iOS friends about it).

The features that set WP apart aren't apps. They aren't how awesome the weather app and the calculator app are. The features that are awesome are the Live Tiles (soon to be augmented with notifications), the vanilla lockscreen capable of app integration, and people hub and such. These are tools that set WP apart. Not some game. I know games are big on smartphone ecosystems, but they need to be cross-platform to prevent limitation.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: WTH, Microsoft released Wordament for iOS

Can someone explain what in the world Microsoft is thinking with releasing Wordament for iOS? This is one of those games I used to convince some of my friends when I explain about Windows Phone. It seems Microsoft is picking petals off a flower each day...."fight, don't fight, fight, don't fight,...." Grrrrr!!

mjr.mn/UWKS2d

Last time I checked MS was a software company. Perhaps they are trying to make money by selling software.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the biggest thing that happened in this is allowing achievements on the ios platform. That was the one thing I could tell my friends why these phones are so kickass

WP kicks ass for so many other reasons too. But I guess some of it isn't that easy to just explain to someone. WP is something that you don't appreciate until you actually use for a while.

As for achievements... they'll get their tidbits. Sure, we get them first. We get them for all our XBL games, not just the few that are trickled onto iOS with that functionality.

If achievements is important, there is no better phone than WP.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

sorry but that zombies, run app is pretty stupid imo.

i understand that the whole running from zombie theme is a motivation booster and could add some fun to exercising but it's pretty useless. you could be sitting down on a bench stuffing your mouth with 20 quarter pounders and still escape from the horde of zombies right behind you.

****e. im still 500 pounds. screw you zombies, run!

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft just needs to build upon the "Live Anywhere" concept. Continue to bring the WP8, Xbox and Win8 users together in a unified ecosystem. All 3 systems can tie into the same Xbox Live experience. Make it work automagically regardless of which device they log into. Then they really need to market the **** out of platform. Show people how they can go from phone to PC to Xbox seamlessly.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I also had never even heard of Wordament before getting the phone and have yet to play it... Achievements? I'm not 14.

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Amen!

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

i don't care about and don't play games on my phone
thats whats my 130" screen is for

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member