Wordament now on iOS

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft just ticked me off.

Microsoft just needs to build upon the "Live Anywhere" concept. Continue to bring the WP8, Xbox and Win8 users together in a unified ecosystem. All 3 systems can tie into the same Xbox Live experience. Make it work automagically regardless of which device they log into. Then they really need to market the **** out of platform. Show people how they can go from phone to PC to Xbox seamlessly.
I agree with this. For example, I installed Wordament in Windows 8. Microsoft treats the desktop version completely different from the Windows Phone version. I expected to see my achievements in the desktop version as they appeared in the phone version; however, the desktop version is completely segregated--I have to start from scratch to get achievements I already had on the phone version in the desktop version. What fun is that?

Why didn't Microsoft allow seamless integration between the phone version and the desktop version?

aFriendNamed5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

What?! 2 (relatively unknown) games removed from WP and only another <insert f**k knows how many hundreds more> left? ****, this must be that Apocalypse the Mayans were on about...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
RE: WTH, Microsoft released Wordament for iOS

Outlook works great with a Mac. I use it on my MacBook Pro a couple of times a week.
oh I am talking about outlook.com, aka hotmail which only works via pop3 😞
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Let's face it, iOS & Android won 90% of the smartphone market, but there is that 10% to grab.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

In a way I miss exclusivity on some things, but overallI think being open is the best option for the customer. At least the somewhat closed approaches of Google and Apple is what pisses me off about them, so I rather not have that for MS too.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

No one ever bought a Windows phone because of Wordament, no one, ever.
You should be more upset about Office making it to other platforms because that's a real selling point for WP and the Surface

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

No one should be upset about Wordament supporting iOS.
All
Windows Phone users should be upset about it bringing Xbox achievements.

Not only does this remove yet another reason for people to buy WP over iOS, but it also removes yet another incentive for developers to develop on Windows Phone. Why go through all of the red tape on Windows Phone, with their 3% market share, just for a little marketing boost when I can make the exact same game with the exact same features on iOS? Wordament should have been pushed to iOS with Xbox-less achievements, just like any other iOS game. However, at the bottom of the achievements list, there should be a disclaimer saying that if it was played on WP or Windows 8, then the achievements would be added to their Xbox account. This would have maximized both Windows 8 and Windows Phone exposure, allowing both consumers and developers to see that there are perks for moving to the Microsoft ecosystem. As it is now, those perks are becoming fewer and fewer.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

"exclusive" timewaster games aren't going to sell these phones. Games like wordament or alphajax, no matter how good they are on windows phone, are dime a dozen on android and ios. The only way xbox live is going to create leverage for windows phone is if games people play on the console have a windows phone component that adds value to the overall game experience.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft is a weird company because their only aim is profitability. There's far less integration at MS than at Apple because the teams that write software aren't tied to any particular os or overall vision for the company. They just aim to be profitable on their own. Whether it's office or skype or whatever, that's why skype was getting updates on iOS and Android even before they released a WP version. I can bet you wordament was working on an iOS (and probably android version) long before this.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Speaking for myself, Microsoft haven't ticked me off. They're merely doing what I expect from other companies. Yes, I talking about you Google. :angry:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: WTH, Microsoft released Wordament for iOS

And to OP and those who agree with his premise, do you believe anybody out there would buy a Windows Phone simply to run Wordament?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

How many people said "Oh wow, Wordament is AMAZING! What's that? I need a Windows Phone to play it? Well, screw my iPhone, I'm getting a Lumia!"

I'd bet both of them are quite upset now. :winktongue:

thyttel

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
RE: WTH, Microsoft released Wordament for iOS

Last time I checked MS was a software company. Perhaps they are trying to make money by selling software.

Exactly. Besides the game so far is only playable in English. The game is basicly unknown to everyone but people in America and England.

I never even heard about the game before visiting this forum.

Think most Europeans play Wordfeud which is available in a multitude of languages.

So if MS kept the game exclusive to WP their not going to get much profit. You got to look at it realistically and right now market share for WP is almost non existent compared to iOS and Android so to make money their need to reach that market

Sent from my RM-821_eu_denmark_251 using Board Express

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Not sure why everyone is upset about Wordament going to iOS. The developer taps into a larger audience, makes some money and we see a) improvements to the game or b) new games.

It's not as if he pulled up stakes and moved Wordament to iOS. It's still on Windows Phones....

Windows Phone users complain that iOS games never make it to Windows Phones.... so why is it bad for a Windows Phone game to make it to iOS?

The outrage should be with situations like Photosynth... developed by Microsoft but released on iOS first? And we've yet to see a Windows Phone 8 version ? I have no issue with developers cross marketing their apps on multiple platforms but the home team should take care of home field first, then look at other neighborhoods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb