IPhone 5C 16 GB for 599$ without contract. Apple doesn't understand what budget device is?

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe MS should do a commercial comparing the 520 with the 5S?

I'm sure 5S will be a big hit in the US which just makes me throw up a little. Why are there so many stupid people here?

I'm not sure if emerging markets will be stupid enough to buy into the 5S.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The other thing is - now the 5s is 64bit none of the apps developed for it will work on the 5c - Devs are going to have to now create two versions of the app. I can see a lot of games titles being 64 bit only.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
So? Iphone 5 price was $799 changing the aluminum to plastic cut the price by 200$. Hmmm rip off the metal cost 200$

Sent from my Lumia 520 using tapatalk

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
The other thing is - now the 5s is 64bit none of the apps developed for it will work on the 5c - Devs are going to have to now create two versions of the app. I can see a lot of games titles being 64 bit only.

that's what apple want. They will force user to get iPhone 5s.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

With a little bit of brains, the difference between 64bit software and 32bit software is a matter of recompiling the app with different compiler settings. There is no reason to deliver only a 64bit version of your app, when recompiling to a 32bit version is such a simple matter.

We could go even further and just admit there is little to no reason to even create 64bit apps. Just release a single 32bit version and be done with it. That is what most app developers will do. As always, Apple has launched a great marketing campaign convincing the masses of the benefits of their 64bit OS, 99% of it is pure FUD however.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With a little bit of brains, the difference between 64bit software and 32bit software is a matter of recompiling the app with different compiler settings. There is no reason to deliver only a 64bit version of your app, when recompiling to a 32bit version is such a simple matter.

We could go even further and just admit there is little to no reason to even create 64bit apps. Just release a single 32bit version and be done with it. That is what most app developers will do. As always, Apple has launched a great marketing campaign convincing the masses of the benefits of their 64bit OS, 99% of it is pure FUD however.

I agree on the 99% FUD - but it would be interesting to see what some games would look like running on 64bit making more use of the available ram - While im talking about ram did they even release the numbers for it?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the 99% FUD - but it would be interesting to see what some games would look like running on 64bit making more use of the available ram - While im talking about ram did they even release the numbers for it?

What do you mean by "making more use of the available RAM". Having a 64bit OS allows you to address more RAM, but that only comes into play for RAM beyond the 4GB threshold (32bits can address 4,294,967,296 bytes = 4GB). The iPhone 5s won't have more than 4GB of RAM (probably 2GB), so there is absolutely no benefit to be had from a 64bit OS in that regard. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Edit: I just spent a few minutes looking at how all the mainstream tech sites are parroting Apple's marketing. The amount of misinformation being spread is nothing short of astounding, even for mainstream tech site standards. Statements like: "In desktop computing, a 64-bit processor can perform tasks at double the speed of a 32-bit one as it can address more volatile memory or RAM." are complete garbage and utterly wrong, but it's almost the statement of the day.

This is one of the few more knowledgeable takes:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-marketing-fluff-and-wont-improve-performance

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "making more use of the available RAM". Having a 64bit OS allows you to address more RAM, but that only comes into play for RAM beyond the 4GB threshold (32bits can address 4,294,967,296 bytes = 4GB). The iPhone 5s won't have more than 4GB of RAM (probably 2GB), so there is absolutely no benefit to be had from a 64bit OS in that regard. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Edit: I just spent a few minutes looking at how all the mainstream tech sites are parroting Apple's marketing. The amount of misinformation being spread is nothing short of astounding, even for mainstream tech site standards. Statements like: "In desktop computing, a 64-bit processor can perform tasks at double the speed of a 32-bit one as it can address more volatile memory or RAM." are complete garbage and utterly wrong, but it's almost the statement of the day.

This is one of the few more knowledgeable takes:

iPhone 5S: The 64-bit A7 chip is marketing fluff and won’t improve performance | ExtremeTech

It is head scratching to read all the articles proclaiming how 64 bit puts the iPhone above everything else. It really makes you wonder if these tech sites have some kind of financial incentive to make sure Apple is shown in a positive light.

Barely any of them have even talked about the high price for the 5C or how ridiculous the case looks.

Shishir Girjapurkar

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
what is meant by 2 years contract ..and off contract ..? i did'nt understand ..? with 2 years contract iphone 5c is $99 (16gb) and without contract $549 ..wtf ?
can anybody tell me ?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
In some countries, especially in the US and Canada, if you sign up for a contract with the mobile carrier (usually 2 year contracts) they will give you the phone for a lower (subsidized) price. So say I sign up on a 2 year contract with AT&T I will get the iPhone 5c for $99. If I don't want to sign up for 2 years I will have to buy the phone for $549.

The catch is that since the mobile carriers are cover most of the cost of the device the monthly cost for the contract is usually higher than in other countries.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It is head scratching to read all the articles proclaiming how 64 bit puts the iPhone above everything else. It really makes you wonder if these tech sites have some kind of financial incentive to make sure Apple is shown in a positive light.

Barely any of them have even talked about the high price for the 5C or how ridiculous the case looks.

I imagine that some sites are influenced by advertising dollars, but I can't imagine that financial incentives are handed out directly. But yeah, it does make you wonder.

If you look at anything Apple publishes related to the iP5s, you will notice they are claiming the A7 SoC offers twice the performance of its predecessor (whatever that means). They always follow that up with a reference to the CPU being a 64 bit instead of a 32 bit design. That has been true of all the official marketing material I've seen so far. I suspect a lot of people are just imagining that a correlation exists between being "twice as fast" and "having twice as many bits"... as stupid as that sounds. I can't imagine where else the stupidity is coming from. I certainly haven't seen Apple make that false claim themselves, but it's practically everywhere else.

Whatever the reason is, I'm sure Apple has no interest in clearing up the misunderstanding, as neither Android or WP will be making that transition anytime soon. If enough clueless geeks buy into the misinformation, it will turn into a marketing advantage.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
The 5C case is horrible!! Moreover the same phone as iph5 but plastic?? No thanks, even if I would buy, I would preffer an used iph5 instead of 5C.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The 5C is just an iPhone 5 with a plastic case slapped on the back. Nothing new, and its certainly not cheap, just less expensive.

Apple must be smoking some serious dope if they actually think it will penetrate emerging markets.

They get into emerging markets with these price points, they'll definitely be doing some "penetrating".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb