IPhone 5C 16 GB for 599$ without contract. Apple doesn't understand what budget device is?

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
You do not understand. The C stands for COLOR. NOT CHEAP. It is not a budget phone, and it does not have the 64 bit chip either. And the iPhone 4S was priced the same way.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You do not understand. The C stands for COLOR. NOT CHEAP. It is not a budget phone, and it does not have the 64 bit chip either. And the iPhone 4S was priced the same way.

The "C" does not stand for color or cheap. It means crap. Over-priced, over-hyped, underwhelming crap.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
They really messed up with the 5C. All the media were hyping up that this would be the budget iPhone so this is what people were expecting. The fact that it does look like a cheap plastic budget phone does not help support it's high price.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Apple is marketing toward average consumers. You will be surprised that there are so many people think their phones come with 16/32/64GB of memory :) ....

We have the 5S and a "budget" 5C. First 64-bit phones, Apple's magic, blah, blah, blah. It could be nice but not for 599$. The price point is ridiculous, so yeah, Cupertino is keeping tight with its strategy. Still the Infinity Blade III :( I'd love to have it on my Lumia.

theroyboy44

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 5c is going to sell a billion times more than the cheapest or best w8p. With those colors and the specs of the iPhone 5 the apple die hard will eat it up then the new upgrades and the flat out sheep will go crazy for the finger print scanner.

silly guy it will sell more of course but remember most ppl who buy phones don't buy the latest and great they buy affordable phone. Nokia making so many affordable phone puts them inline to win from the bottom up not top down. And I think it's smarter because windows phone needs a base and the easiest way is to have as many ppl buying windows phones as possible. And that's by making quality and cost friendly phones. If it was just about making the best cell phone we have the 920,925,928, and 1020. That may not be number one hands down but you can debate it. So if that formula isn't work build a base. Cuz remember people also need apps (esp official ones to be made) and as we have the windows market isn't large enough for them to spend the resources to make them so again the answer is a base. So it doesn't matter how much better or whatever the iPhone 5C is because at the end of the day if the majority of the people can't afford it they will be more likely to buy windows phones therefore creating a windows phone base therefore bring more apps and bringing more people and once that loop is continued windowsphone will be on a first name basis with android and apple. And mark my words, after windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1 catch a little steam it'll be a wrap. Cuz I don't know if you remember when ppl hated mac computer cuz they were "hard to use" and now everyone loves them. Just give it a little time u'll see

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
One day old thread, in the wp section, has two thousand views.

And its about the iP hone....

The hardware looks tougher than current generation devices they offer, and faster specs. Speaking of looks, the No kia's will have to find a new differentiator , color is no longer it.

I could care less if the new I phones ( broke the brand name so I'm not helping them) sell, I'll enjoy the spoils of last years phones on craigslist, today.

I think ap ple has plenty of an idea...

Given the free publicity its getting here and other places, it will sell well.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
silly guy it will sell more of course but remember most ppl who buy phones don't buy the latest and great they buy affordable phone. Nokia making so many affordable phone puts them inline to win from the bottom up not top down. And I think it's smarter because windows phone needs a base and the easiest way is to have as many ppl buying windows phones as possible. And that's by making quality and cost friendly phones. If it was just about making the best cell phone we have the 920,925,928, and 1020. That may not be number one hands down but you can debate it. So if that formula isn't work build a base. Cuz remember people also need apps (esp official ones to be made) and as we have the windows market isn't large enough for them to spend the resources to make them so again the answer is a base. So it doesn't matter how much better or whatever the iPhone 5C is because at the end of the day if the majority of the people can't afford it they will be more likely to buy windows phones therefore creating a windows phone base therefore bring more apps and bringing more people and once that loop is continued windowsphone will be on a first name basis with android and apple. And mark my words, after windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1 catch a little steam it'll be a wrap. Cuz I don't know if you remember when ppl hated mac computer cuz they were "hard to use" and now everyone loves them. Just give it a little time u'll see

Vegeta has spoken!!!

ErR0rPr0n3

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The other thing is - now the 5s is 64bit none of the apps developed for it will work on the 5c - Devs are going to have to now create two versions of the app. I can see a lot of games titles being 64 bit only.

Yeah, and I just read a thread the other day where people on WP7.8 were saying "Apple would never do this!" (drawing a line where you couldn't use apps on your older phones like MS did with WP 8/7.x) Its just about the same thing now any app where the store doesn't target a specific WP version (made for win phone 7) seems to be fine for me on 8 and app specifically targeting 8 don't work on older phones. Of course I think the biggest impacted apps would probably be games and some other calc intensive apps. You don't really need to push the boundaries of your phone's CPU/GPU just to snapchat.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, and I just read a thread the other day where people on WP7.8 were saying "Apple would never do this!" (drawing a line where you couldn't use apps on your older phones like MS did with WP 8/7.x) Its just about the same thing now any app where the store doesn't target a specific WP version (made for win phone 7) seems to be fine for me on 8 and app specifically targeting 8 don't work on older phones. Of course I think the biggest impacted apps would probably be games and some other calc intensive apps. You don't really need to push the boundaries of your phone's CPU/GPU just to snapchat.

Backward compatibility isn't a WP7.x/WP8 creation. How many users were left in the dust when FroYo came out and apps weren't compatible pre-Eclair?

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the 5c is meant to replace the 5 as the $99 on contract option and not necessarily to enter the market as a budget alternative for price conscious people and developing markets. The iPhone 5 was probably too expensive in manufacturing to sell at the $99 price point that the previous generation model normally sells at, so they made a plastic version. The off contract price is too high for most people to consider buying it over the iPhone 5 in my opinion. As much as it looks like the 620, I don't think the 5c is designed to compete against it or similar models. A lot was assumed in blogs and rumor sites before launch, but I don't Apple's intent is to have the 5c serve as a market share expander in nations whose carriers eschew subsidized pricing. Rather, it is to preserve margins for their mid-tier option.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Let's not kid ourselves here: Apple has never really targeted the people who buy phones off-contract. The 5C *is* their budget-minded option, for consumers who buy all their phones on-contract. And they're going to sell... so... many... 5Cs. They will probably sell more 5Cs at $99 with a two year contract than Samsung, HTC, and Nokia has sold Windows Phones in total. We can sit here on our Windows Phones on Windows Phone Central and laugh at the off-contract pricing and snicker at how the 5C is clearly influenced by Nokia's color options and make fun of the people who buy the 5C, but... the reality is that this phone is going to sell like hotcakes.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Let's not kid ourselves here: Apple has never really targeted the people who buy phones off-contract. The 5C *is* their budget-minded option, for consumers who buy all their phones on-contract. And they're going to sell... so... many... 5Cs. They will probably sell more 5Cs at $99 with a two year contract than Samsung, HTC, and Nokia has sold Windows Phones in total. We can sit here on our Windows Phones on Windows Phone Central and laugh at the off-contract pricing and snicker at how the 5C is clearly influenced by Nokia's color options and make fun of the people who buy the 5C, but... the reality is that this phone is going to sell like hotcakes.

No doubt it will help them in North America but not so much in the rest of the world where they are losing market share quite fast.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Its a serious money spinner. Instead of making the iphone 5 free as they have done with year old models previously they have made it cheaper to make but carried on charging for it. The ifans will still buy it in millions without realising they are getting shafted.

That's what its about, release the same phone every year, just add an 'S' and tell people we've worked extremely hard for millions of years to add that S, takes a lot of effort.

I don't say that, someone on a youtube video did :p

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
share it with us too

Sent from my Lumia 520 using tapatalk

9Gag is blocked at my workplace, your avatr was my reaction when I tried to open the URL.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
No doubt it will help them in North America but not so much in the rest of the world where they are losing market share quite fast.

That's interesting, I thought they were holding at 18% or so for quite a while? ( android 79%, wp7/8 around 2-3% total) ?

Who are they losing to?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos