Any other iphone users thinking of coming back after todays letdown?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
After todays reveal of the new iphone and its subsequent disappointment, I was thinking of coming back to windows phone for at least the next year. I am pretty familiar with the platform having had a Lumia 900 and 920 (still own the 920). I'm using Windows 8 at home on my PC and really enjoy the way Sky Drive works once you get it set up. I finally figured out how to manage PDF documents with email on my 920 today so that solves one nagging issue. The other major one keeping me off of WP 8 permanently is the media management. XBOX music is just a complete mess compared to how neat and organized all my itunes is for my iphone. XBOX video is even more of a joke on the phone in my opinion. Maybe the time has come though to just go all in on it.

Anyone else out there contemplating what I am?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends used iPhones from the 3 to the 4S and then switched to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. He isn't getting a different device now, since he is still in contract, but he likes the Nokia WPs better than the new iPhones.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
What letdown? If a new CPU/GPU with a completely revamped UI is a letdown for you then what is Windows Phone, which has had the same hardware for a year and the same UI for 3 years?

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Same hardware for a year? Who cares-WP runs perfectly fine on single core 1.5 gz CPUs.
Same UI but completely different and better than iOS's (and Android's) boring grid of icons.
A lot of people were expecting a 5" screen iPhone today-they blew it as far as I'm concern ed. So yes it was a letdown I'd say. Samsung has been killing them with the S3 & S4 the last couple years..
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually Wp 7.5 and Wp8 are completely different UI's but just the same design language so you're point is invalid if you think the UI hasn't changed in 3 years

also sir/mam. the specs have changed or WP.

Wp7 -1ghz single core
Wp7.5 -1.5 single core
wp8 - Dual Core
Wp8 GDR3 - Quad Core

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Same hardware for a year? Who cares-WP runs perfectly fine on single core 1.5 gz CPUs.
Same UI but completely different and better than iOS's (and Android's) boring grid of icons.
A lot of people were expecting a 5" screen iPhone today-they blew it as far as I'm concern ed. So yes it was a letdown I'd say. Samsung has been killing them with the S3 & S4 the last couple years..
Better is subjective. The point is the UI has remained almost completely unchanged for the past 3 years.
And your hardware argument is completely pointless and incorrect so I'm not going to go there. Windows 8 will run fine on a Pentium D so why get a Core i7? Stupid thing to say.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
You're kidding me right? Either I'm blind or you have access to a Windows Phone 7.5 or 8 that no one else does.

you didn't read my quote. I said its different from WP7.5 but it keeps the same design language. You don't expect a company to change their UI every year. Android changed it cause it was getting old it came out in 2008 IOS is the same nothing much has changed. MS will improve on it (but not change it from the ground up) when the UI is getting very old. But right now 3 years for a OS that was designed from the ground up is not old at all

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
You mean the revamped UI that looks like the UI that's been around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM8NSSzxNGM

Good video link, thanks!

To tell the truth, the apps shown all look very similar between iOS, wp, and android, and the fifteen skins available on android.

Some of the palm influences are easily seen, along with sailfish and meego...

I guess that's testimony to good design and expectations of modern mobile ui's.

The real difference isnt in the brand makes it or the hardware anymore... It's in the development community behind each.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
What letdown? If a new CPU/GPU with a completely revamped UI is a letdown for you then what is Windows Phone, which has had the same hardware for a year and the same UI for 3 years?

So we should change our UI every three years so customers can complain about the design and how they have to learn how to use their device again like people did with Windows 8?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
You're kidding me right? Either I'm blind or you have access to a Windows Phone 7.5 or 8 that no one else does.

why would you want the UI to change so much? And all I know is WP7 to WP8 is still a bigger change than iOS to iOS6, and then they ruined iOS7 by making it look like a children's toy phone

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Without working notifications. "O wait. It's coming with Windows Phone 8.1" Rinse and repeat. The subject of UI is clearly subjective - some find Windows Phone better, others find iOS better. Who are you to decide for others?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can someone tell me why Windows hardware and software trumps an iPhones? I would really love to know. As far as I understand it, you all still can't use custom notifications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss