I bought an iPhone today. Taking it back tomorrow. I feel robbed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Except for an entirely reworked multitasking system, a new notification centre, tons of new APIs enabling thousands of new apps and a recent revamp of the UI. Really if you're going to talk about massive changes, then how much has Windows Phone changed in 4 years? It looks literally the same as it did in 2010, except for more live tiles.

Doesn't the multitasking remind you of windows phone? :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't the multitasking remind you of windows phone? :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm not talking about the multitasking user interface. I'm talking about the multitasking capabilities of the app. The background work etc.
And even if you want to talk about the interface, the one on iOS is slightly superior because it doesn't limit the viewable apps to just 9. You can open the 10th or even the 20th listed app provided it hasn't been killed by the OS.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes you are right. Anyone who says iPhone is dumb , probably doesn't know much about it. It is a solid piece of hardware and that's why people love buying it. About the few points you mentioned below , here is my point of view:

1) Apps: Absolutely ! I love trying out the latest and brightest apps. But frankly , I never felt missing anything in the windows phone store. It doesnt have the latest but it has everything that I need. May be am the only one :)

2) VPN is confirmed in 8.1 About VPN apps , I guess Ms would surely launch VPN with some popular apps. If i am not wrong , we have all the apps from citrix , cisco webex , so I don't think VPN apps would be missing for a long time

3) Trust me Windows Phone backup is awesome. I changed phone three times and I lost no data. It backups in skydrive. It had zune in WP 7 , but I guess most of us hated it

4) May be a deal breaker for you. Never really cared for t. Isn't fidbit app available ?

5) Isn't Skype as good as Facetime ? iMessage is like BBM . May be it is a deal breaker for you. But for most of us , we are happy with Whatsapp. But if i am not wrong, MS / Nokia has some messaging apps. I however agree , Skype can be made a little better

6) Can't say.windows Phone / Nokia has been extremely helpful over twitter. Again , no comments on this

7) Agreed. OTA being carrer dependent didnt go down well with us. Probably thats why MS gave us the developer preview which gives us the update on day one and yes any phone can be a developer phone free of cost

8) Not sure. Most of myiPhone 5s friends crib about battery. They disable most of features , lower brightness and still runs out of juice soon. I use my Lumia in full throttle , play games , pair with my bluetooth and needs to charge only in the night. Again good for you , that battery is not an issue for you.

9) HEre you are wrong. MS does listen to people and they speak about it over twitter. Most of what we asked they kept giving us and if you are not aware the notification thingy people so love would come in 8.1 I guess MS even has an user voice a/c which they keep watching and even update when they add a feature. It would be unfair to say MS cares a damn about users. However I would agree MS is kinda slow. If i am not wrong Apple updates also comes yearly. More or less same condition with MS

Again , Am not saying iPhone < WP or WP < iPhone. As a buyer and In India where we have no subsidy where I have to do a cost - value assesment , I some how find WP more suited from "value" perspective. Recently I got around 50K to buy a device from my office and I wanted to buy a high end phone. Most natural choice was the iPhone but I went with Lumia 1520. I paid 45K and in that 45K I got :

1) awesome camera
2) Bigger better storage ( iPhone @55K was 16 GB and 1520 gave me 32 internal + 64 GB storage)
3) Bigger and awesome screen ( iPhone screen is awesome too , but it is kinda smaller to my need and has lesser dpi- personal choice perhaps)
4) Free Nokia unlimited music and me being a music buff I really enjoyed the free music they gave
5) PErsonally a better UI , though choice may differ.

So yeah choices differ. MS is doing hard to meet our demands. Of course iPhone has been here for years and WP will need to play catch up for sometime , but it is doing pretty fast.

But again , I completely agree I don't think iPhone is dumb , it is just for people like me who has no subsidy , sees a better value in some other alternatives available.

Well for starters it has apps.

1- Whether you like it or not, people want apps. They want the latest fad app. It sucks for most people when they don't get to play the latest fad app. You can make fun of these people, but it's the reality. But then there are genuinely useful apps. Like Google apps, Wunderlist, Omnifocus etc.

2- VPN. This is such a deal breaker for me. I plan to purchase a premium VPN by the end of the month. Unfortunately Windows Phone does not support VPN, and even if it does in the future, there is no telling if premium VPNs will have their apps ready for it.

3- Excellent backup/restore. I backed up my iPhone 4S on iTunes. Restored it on my iPhone 5. Backed up the iPhone 5 and will restore it on my iPhone 5S. It's like I never formatted my phone to begin with. Everything is right there when you get a new iPhone. Windows Phone has no backup what so ever other than saving your app list and SMS/MMS.

4- No smartwatch support for Windows Phone, because it currently does not have the required APIs. This was told directly by Pebble. I don't expect APIs to come till 8.1.

5- iMessage and Facetime. Nothing even remotely similar on Windows Phone.

6- Apple customer support. Needs no explanation.

7- You get OTA updates the second they're available. No need to ask around, wait around and wonder around if you'll get them.

8- Battery on the iPhone is awesome. I don't know how they do it, but I've never had battery issues on an iPhone. Windows Phone is notorious for its random battery drains. This issue was there back in 2012, and it's still there despite 3 updates to the OS. Even my Lumia Black running Lumia 1020 is just odd in terms of battery. One night I'll have 2% drain, and the next it will be 15%.

9- Apple actively listens to its customers. When iOS 4 was released, lots of people started complaining about the lack of a notification centre. It was there in iOS 5. With iOS 6 people were disappointed with the lack of UI changes. It was there in iOS 7. Apple copped a lot of criticism over some design elements in iOS 7. They're actively fixing them with each update. iOS 7.1 even alters some icons. Microsoft doesn't give two ****s about what the customer wants. They have their own check list of things they want to do, and no amount of complaining will move them. We've been asking for a notification centre and separate volume keys for nearly 3 years now. We got Kids Corner and Rooms instead.

Look, I'm no Windows Phone hater. I own a Lumia 1020. It's a beautiful piece of hardware. But you asked for a list of things the iPhone does that Windows Phone doesn't. Similarly there are tons of things Windows Phone does that the iPhone doesn't. Both OS have their pros and cons. But stop kidding yourself by thinking the iPhone is just a dumb phone that can't do anything.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
3) Trust me Windows Phone backup is awesome. I changed phone three times and I lost no data. It backups in skydrive. It had zune in WP 7 , but I guess most of us hated it
Really? May I ask how you did that? I have Angry Birds on my Lumia 1020. Will I get all my progress back if I shift to Lumia 1520?

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
From a previous Iphone user, it is no frills phone. Basic ui. I always felt it was very restrictive. Did not like the small screen. Plus the integration with Outlook, and Office was horrible. I went through two iphones, 4, 4s, on Verizon, and both experienced lockups, freezups..some times when an incoming call would come it, as soon as i tried to answer it, it was freeze up. etc.

Did not care much for Itunes, and the backup/restore solution. I can't tell you how frustrating is was merging contacts with Outlook Contacts, and how many times it would lock up syncing contacts, only to find out i lost all my contacts on the iphone and outlook.... then it would automatically try to create a backup image, only to overwrite your good backups.... Ultimately, I tried the Windows Phone, and wow, so much more smoother integration with Outlook Contacts, Calendaring. I have had a 928 since last summer, and have not dropped a single call, freeze up.

The iphone is basically all about hype as far as i am concerned.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You may want to make an appt in the local Apple store to get it replaced. It will give you a chance to experience real customer service. Just for the sake of conversation, where is the local HTC store if you have problems?

Wow, guess I haven't seen the local Apple store. Oh, that's right, the closest one is 2hrs from here. Yeah, not everyone has an Apple store locally.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Really? How hard is it to hit the magnifying glass and search for the particular app? Or at least the type of app.

It's not. The hard part is getting a pertinent app to show up if you don't know the name or don't have a specific app in mind.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow, guess I haven't seen the local Apple store. Oh, that's right, the closest one is 2hrs from here. Yeah, not everyone has an Apple store locally.

That is unfortunate, there are 5 within 30 minutes of my location. My lumia 920 is still the phone i use until a better deal comes along.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, I think you need to use a device - any device - for more than one day before making a judgement on it.

As I'm writing this, I will say something more... My iPad was rock solid until iOS7. Now it reboots every day or so, always when swapping between apps. It seems to be some special fast reboot as it comes back to life quite quickly, but it's still annoying. Otherwise I find iOS fine. The icons may be boring but they are a means to an end and I don't spend much time looking at them. Apart from my reboot issue, it's very stable and does not slow down over time. The only other problem I had with it was the 'other' storage getting too large - resetting the device fixed that, and I must say I was very impressed with how all apps and data were automatically synced from iCloud. Within fiften minutes or so, my iPad was fully restored without any intervention on my part. However, it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.
In my experience, Android is the most stable mobile platform - my phone runs for months between reboots (I've had uptimes well over 1000 hours), and most reboots are a result of the battery running down because I forgot to charge it. I've never had to reset the phone in two+ years.

Apple has attributed this behavior in iPhones to a bug in iOS 7 and they are working on a fix: Apple iOS 7 fix for random iPhone reboots in pipeline.

I wasn't aware that the issue affected iPads as well but based on your description this sounds like the same issue...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How exactly do you feel robbed? Does the phone not do what it's advertised to do? Is there a missing function? If you didn't bother to do at least a modicum of research (reading forums is not research) and read the detailed specs for the phone, shame on you. While it isn't exactly my cup of tea, there's no denying the quality of the device and the quality of the apps. iOS apps are far and away more polished and feature-filled than Android, BlackBerry and even WP. The UI is boring and the pastel treatment of iOS7 is deplorable, but some people dig it. Even the hard-core ****** reviewers acknowledge WP's superior UI but it doesn't take away the fact that there are millions more iPhones out there than WP7/8 devices.

If after reading this you still feel robbed, call the cops.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised to hear OP complaining about the icons. Isn't that just like BB? They can be hidden in folders I think. I'm no ifan and dislike a screen full of icons as well. Android is a very nice OS. Just takes some getting used to.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That is unfortunate, there are 5 within 30 minutes of my location. My lumia 920 is still the phone i use until a better deal comes along.

man were the heJJ do you live? Kissappleassville? 5 within 30 minutes, I have never seen a apple store. I don't blame you I would be looking forward to the next iPhone too.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
man were the heJJ do you live? Kissappleassville? 5 within 30 minutes, I have never seen a apple store. I don't blame you I would be looking forward to the next iPhone too.

There's 6 in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area easily within a 30 mile radius. Where do YOU live, Potato Falls, Idaho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven