I bought an iPhone today. Taking it back tomorrow. I feel robbed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here is what happened... Back in the late 80's early 90's a bunch of people bought iPods then invested big $ in songs and movies. They have been stuck with Apple products ever sense. They don't want to loose their investment so to make them feel better about their mistake they drag others into the ecosystem.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
While IOS 7 was a slight change, nothing has changed since 2007. I still find it boring on my iPad, and I prefer WP and windows 8.1.

Why people like iPhones versus Windows Phones and some Android devices? I think it is their extreme simplicity, which also causes them to be behind.

Team Windows Phone!!!

But that Avatar though! LOL!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I got an iPhone 5S free from my mobile operator and my experience with the device is somewhat a mixed bag. Here's why.

1. I got it for LTE primarily

Alas, I discovered that its data performance is pathetic. When my Xperia V gets LTE, the iPhone 5S goes from E(DGE), GPRS and 3G. They're side-by-side. The iPhone can get LTE signal if I get out of the house. At the office, there are locations it won't get LTE, again no problem for the Xperia.

Tethering is pathetic too. The range is so short, compared to my Xperia or HTC 8S. Other issues I just found out is that when data is engaged, and SMS or call comes in, it gets disconnected. I can't send SMS when data is engaged.

When I enable tethering, it will turn on both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. If I turn tethering off, it leaves Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on!

2. I chose it as a "middleman" for my Synology NAS.

All my digital music are stored in the Synology. My Xperia V > USB OTG > FiiO DAC > main audio system is beaten in SQ by the iPhone 5S + Dock. The application, i.e., DSaudio also has offline mode in iOS but not on Android and Windows Phone.

Others:

The control center has no short cut to turn on/off data. I just shook my head in disbelief.

Sending SMS is sometimes a pain. Perhaps it has to do with the pathetic radio hardware/iOS 7.

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
None of the 6 iphones or 5 ipads in my family have ever frozen. You may want to make an appt in the local Apple store to get it replaced. It will give you a chance to experience real customer service. Just for the sake of conversation, where is the local HTC store if you have problems?

My 5S rebooted the other day while in camera mode. I don't know why it did and I was not able to reproduce the problem.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is what happened... Back in the late 80's early 90's a bunch of people bought iPods then invested big $ in songs and movies. They have been stuck with Apple products ever sense. They don't want to loose their investment so to make them feel better about their mistake they drag others into the ecosystem.

Wasn't the iPod announced in 2001? :confused:

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've only owned Blackberry and WP. Never owned an IPhone or Android. Was thinking about switching for a while because of all the fuss.

The world goes nuts for IPhone. People say you can do anything with it or Android. They tell me I'm missing out. They tell me it's unreal. Blah blah blah.

I bought an IPhone today and been playing with it all day. Someone explain to me what the fuss was about? I don't see it. What is it exactly? Am I missing something?

It's a bunch of icons. Is this a joke? I'm a little PO'd right now. This phone in no way shape or form is better than WP. There is nothing about this phone I like.

I asked someone that same question and they replied..."it can get what's app"...I'm surprised the human race isn't extinct yet.

IMO, iPhone gets its reputation for running one if the most reliable operating systems on the planet (this is debatable though) but seriously, the thing just works no matter how simple you are or what ever you do...it never freezes or lags (provided you dont update old hardware with the latest os or jail break) and every app in the Apple app store is of the top premium quality. seriously, every app is optimized for a specific device running a specific version of ios...yes, developers literally need to make many multiple variants of their app to support several apple devices. also I've heard that no app has faults as a result of the very strict moderation.

though I hate it when you ask people why they think that their iphone they bought or want is so amazing and they cant even answer you buy their own biased opinion...for people like this you know they bought it as a fashion accessory. to give them class.

but if I bought an iPhone it would only be for its reliability. and its compatibility for apps in the app market. I wouldn't take it for anything else because lets face it...its the most borring os on a smart phone I have ever seen, yes even Nokias symbian and asha os is more exciting. asha is actually very impressive by the way.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
There are a ton of things the iPhone can do that a Windows Phone can't. But since your OP just reeks of fanboyism, I feel it would be useless to go into details.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
While IOS 7 was a slight change, nothing has changed since 2007. I still find it boring on my iPad, and I prefer WP and windows 8.1.

Except for an entirely reworked multitasking system, a new notification centre, tons of new APIs enabling thousands of new apps and a recent revamp of the UI. Really if you're going to talk about massive changes, then how much has Windows Phone changed in 4 years? It looks literally the same as it did in 2010, except for more live tiles.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've only owned Blackberry and WP. Never owned an IPhone or Android. Was thinking about switching for a while because of all the fuss.

The world goes nuts for IPhone. People say you can do anything with it or Android. They tell me I'm missing out. They tell me it's unreal. Blah blah blah.

I bought an IPhone today and been playing with it all day. Someone explain to me what the fuss was about? I don't see it. What is it exactly? Am I missing something?

It's a bunch of icons. Is this a joke? I'm a little PO'd right now. This phone in no way shape or form is better than WP. There is nothing about this phone I like.

In the UK, the law states that once you have removed the packaging / used the phone, you cannot return it simply because you want to.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
ugh that username and that avatar annoys me haha. I can't stand that stupid show and character lol
But uyeah an iPhone is a peoples phone I feel. The elderly can use it easily just as young kids can and that's why it caught on so well, even before the app store.

No it "Caught on so well" because it was the only smartphone that did something. Unlike the sluggish and fat early blackberries.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone is so easy to use is definitely a quality. Apple assumes you are ignorant when it comes to tech. Mother in law with a iPhone 5 perfect example (how she can operate a toaster amazes me). This assumes everything else is very complexes and difficult to use, when my 2 year old son can make my WP kiss his azz. So once again good marketing.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
No, please do...

Well for starters it has apps.

1- Whether you like it or not, people want apps. They want the latest fad app. It sucks for most people when they don't get to play the latest fad app. You can make fun of these people, but it's the reality. But then there are genuinely useful apps. Like Google apps, Wunderlist, Omnifocus etc.

2- VPN. This is such a deal breaker for me. I plan to purchase a premium VPN by the end of the month. Unfortunately Windows Phone does not support VPN, and even if it does in the future, there is no telling if premium VPNs will have their apps ready for it.

3- Excellent backup/restore. I backed up my iPhone 4S on iTunes. Restored it on my iPhone 5. Backed up the iPhone 5 and will restore it on my iPhone 5S. It's like I never formatted my phone to begin with. Everything is right there when you get a new iPhone. Windows Phone has no backup what so ever other than saving your app list and SMS/MMS.

4- No smartwatch support for Windows Phone, because it currently does not have the required APIs. This was told directly by Pebble. I don't expect APIs to come till 8.1.

5- iMessage and Facetime. Nothing even remotely similar on Windows Phone.

6- Apple customer support. Needs no explanation.

7- You get OTA updates the second they're available. No need to ask around, wait around and wonder around if you'll get them.

8- Battery on the iPhone is awesome. I don't know how they do it, but I've never had battery issues on an iPhone. Windows Phone is notorious for its random battery drains. This issue was there back in 2012, and it's still there despite 3 updates to the OS. Even my Lumia Black running Lumia 1020 is just odd in terms of battery. One night I'll have 2% drain, and the next it will be 15%.

9- Apple actively listens to its customers. When iOS 4 was released, lots of people started complaining about the lack of a notification centre. It was there in iOS 5. With iOS 6 people were disappointed with the lack of UI changes. It was there in iOS 7. Apple copped a lot of criticism over some design elements in iOS 7. They're actively fixing them with each update. iOS 7.1 even alters some icons. Microsoft doesn't give two ****s about what the customer wants. They have their own check list of things they want to do, and no amount of complaining will move them. We've been asking for a notification centre and separate volume keys for nearly 3 years now. We got Kids Corner and Rooms instead.

Look, I'm no Windows Phone hater. I own a Lumia 1020. It's a beautiful piece of hardware. But you asked for a list of things the iPhone does that Windows Phone doesn't. Similarly there are tons of things Windows Phone does that the iPhone doesn't. Both OS have their pros and cons. But stop kidding yourself by thinking the iPhone is just a dumb phone that can't do anything.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, I think you need to use a device - any device - for more than one day before making a judgement on it.

As I'm writing this, I will say something more... My iPad was rock solid until iOS7. Now it reboots every day or so, always when swapping between apps. It seems to be some special fast reboot as it comes back to life quite quickly, but it's still annoying. Otherwise I find iOS fine. The icons may be boring but they are a means to an end and I don't spend much time looking at them. Apart from my reboot issue, it's very stable and does not slow down over time. The only other problem I had with it was the 'other' storage getting too large - resetting the device fixed that, and I must say I was very impressed with how all apps and data were automatically synced from iCloud. Within fiften minutes or so, my iPad was fully restored without any intervention on my part. However, it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.
In my experience, Android is the most stable mobile platform - my phone runs for months between reboots (I've had uptimes well over 1000 hours), and most reboots are a result of the battery running down because I forgot to charge it. I've never had to reset the phone in two+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte