05-04-2014 08:50 AM
110 12345
tools
    Note that it's unlocked and I'm desperate. I'm leaving the country in two days. But luckily, the method posted above seems to have been sticking so far, but it's too soon to tell. I'm taking a gamble on this damn phone again, but at the first sight of a duplicate song, I'm selling it for pennies and getting something else. And that will really suck because it's going to cost way more to get an iPhone in Germany than it is here (US).

I'd be willing to pay $500 if it meant I got everything I wanted in a listening experience. I know it's not going to happen. PowerAmp on Android was the best app I've ever used, but it also meant having to use Android. That got tedious real quick. Trust me, I do love WP8 in almost all other aspects. Sure it has some things it could improve (like why links in the browser won't open in their respective apps), but it's so snappy when I have to rush finish a task. It's just being spoiled by an absolutely worthless listening app. If I didn't use subscription music, I'd just get an iPod.
    snowmutt likes this.
    04-22-2014 09:34 AM
    Note that it's unlocked and I'm desperate. I'm leaving the country in two days. But luckily, the method posted above seems to have been sticking so far, but it's too soon to tell. I'm taking a gamble on this damn phone again, but at the first sight of a duplicate song, I'm selling it for pennies and getting something else. And that will really suck because it's going to cost way more to get an iPhone in Germany than it is here (US).

I'd be willing to pay $500 if it meant I got everything I wanted in a listening experience. I know it's not going to happen. PowerAmp on Android was the best app I've ever used, but it also meant having to use Android. That got tedious real quick. Trust me, I do love WP8 in almost all other aspects. Sure it has some things it could improve (like why links in the browser won't open in their respective apps), but it's so snappy when I have to rush finish a task. It's just being spoiled by an absolutely worthless listening app. If I didn't use subscription music, I'd just get an iPod.
    are you using xbox music subscription?
    04-22-2014 09:42 AM
    are you using xbox music subscription?
    Yup. Gotta say I love the way it integrates with my local music collection and scrobbles. At least with WP8. It's touchy with 8.1
    04-22-2014 09:55 AM
    I sold my iPhone 4 because it is so slow with iOS 7. If you can get 5S that would be good, but my Lumia 520 is waaayy better than the performance of iPhone4.
    Karthik Naik and James8561 like this.
    04-22-2014 10:03 AM
    Yup. Gotta say I love the way it integrates with my local music collection and scrobbles. At least with WP8. It's touchy with 8.1
    i just find it a little slow with 8.1, otherwise no complaints, but hopefully they update that they have today will fix that. Did you figure out your duplicate issue and iphoto pop-up?
    tapehead likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:06 AM
    Is windows phone 8.1 update still live?? Anyone??? My battery is draining like water fall. Will hard reset solve my problems
    04-22-2014 10:56 AM
    Is windows phone 8.1 update still live?? Anyone??? My battery is draining like water fall. Will hard reset solve my problems
    Not that your issues are the same as the OP's, but yes, the 8.1 DP update is still live. Downloading it a L920 as we speak. As for the battery drain, have you tried checking your background tasks? Email sync settings to "as items arive" or another setting besides "based on your usage?" There are a few forums addressing the battery drain and how to combat it.
    04-22-2014 11:14 AM
    Trust me, I do love WP8 in almost all other aspects. Sure it has some things it could improve (like why links in the browser won't open in their respective apps), but it's so snappy when I have to rush finish a task. It's just being spoiled by an absolutely worthless listening app. If I didn't use subscription music, I'd just get an iPod.
    The only reason I suggest waiting is due to a couple of things:

1. You like the OS otherwise

2. MS has openly acknowledged the poor state of the app and have committed to a bi-weekly round of updates starting today. That is also thanks to the fact that they broke the Xbox Music app out on its own, not part of the OS.

If MS had not taken this step, I would not be confident enough to give them a chance to improve it. They have a chance to prove that now that the app is not tied to the OS, you will see rapid improvements and fixes.

If you do have time, I would highly suggest that you go over the xbox music user voice forum that MS setup and voice your issues. That makes it much more likely that the issues you are having get addressed asap. I really get the impression the guys working on the app want to improve the experience, so hopefully they back that up with action.
    04-22-2014 11:18 AM
    Have you tried Nokia MixRadio?
    04-22-2014 11:25 AM
    I understand new xbox music app is slow and stuff but they did add lots of useful new features like syncing the app list you have on Windows 8. We didn't have this before, I hope they update the app soon to make it faster and smoother.
    savagelizards likes this.
    04-22-2014 12:09 PM
    I understand new xbox music app is slow and stuff but they did add lots of useful new features like syncing the app list you have on Windows 8. We didn't have this before, I hope they update the app soon to make it faster and smoother.
    Yeah, but that doesn't really help the Mac users. :(
    04-22-2014 12:11 PM
    I copy files to my phone via drag and drop and have no issues with duplication, I don't use any stupid music program like iTunes, I just have ripped CD's or music from amazon.
    04-22-2014 02:33 PM
    My opinion from all this:

No don't get a 4, I can pick one up on craigslist for $100 and with iOS 7.1 it is likely going to be left in the dust. (Despite the improved performance for the 4 touted in the changelog, still kinda bad.) For that $300 you can pickup an iPod touch 5th generation and those aren't shabby at all. (but don't touch the 4th gen) Especially compared to the iPhone 4.

You get great and solid media playback and a solid experience with the iPod and everything great except Music for now on the WP. However, I think we hit rock bottom with Xbox music, nowhere to go but up. Unless MS outsources the coding to Visualland.
    04-22-2014 04:39 PM
    Iphone 4 for $300 sounds like a joke, I got my iphone 5 for around that price on eBay and aside from a dent in the casing it was fine.
    snowmutt likes this.
    04-22-2014 04:44 PM
    I empathize with this situation. I wish there was a nice standalone app for music which included a file manager. I have my own stash of music which I listen to and which is stored on my storage drives at home (which means I would transfer them between the storage drives and my phone manually) and on my personal secure cloud from where I could download bits and pieces as and when I want. So, I have no need for streaming. This is also one of the things that I find missing on the RT Store (unless I am not looking at the right places, which is very well possible). Any ideas? Any recommendations for my Lumia 720 running WP 8.1? Thanks in advance.
    tapehead likes this.
    04-22-2014 08:22 PM
    If you are that miserable get the iPhone. Dealing with iTunes is a whole nother level of frustration for me.
    iTunes is garbage, WP users should use Amazon Music. iTunes isn't really compatible with anything except Apple. Tapeheads issue is not Microsoft but Apple.
    04-22-2014 09:37 PM
    $300 for a phone from 2010? Wow.

That ancient thing is on it's last leg.

I wish my Lumia from 2012 still received updates, but c'mon! $300?
    04-22-2014 10:19 PM
    would you replace a faulty chevy carburetor with a ford carburetor..if you're gonna use mac..use all mac products ...if windows then all windows
    04-22-2014 10:46 PM
    Looks like the OS's capability as a Music Player is its Weakest. MS/Nokia etc are concentrating on Imaging.
    04-22-2014 11:14 PM
    would you replace a faulty chevy carburetor with a ford carburetor..if you're gonna use mac..use all mac products ...if windows then all windows
    That's hardly an excuse for a product not working. MS took the time to release programs to make WP8 work with Macs. It should by all means work. Then again I've had the sync app not work for me, and I've been using WP8 on W8.

Looks like the OS's capability as a Music Player is its Weakest. MS/Nokia etc are concentrating on Imaging.
    Not the greatest move honestly. This right here is pretty much the reason I'm really hoping Sony releases a Windows Phone. Just imagine. Walkman WP8.
    04-23-2014 02:00 AM
    My iPad works perfectly with Windows and Office and OneDrive. But I have to say that I use iTunes only as a file transfer software (drag and drop without any issues).
    tapehead and xandros9 like this.
    04-23-2014 02:28 AM
    I use Linux, Windows, iOS and Android on a more or less daily basis and they all work fine together. Well, getting stuff on and off the iPad is a pain and iTunes is one of the worst pieces of software I've ever used, but otherwise everything is good. I strongly recommend not sticking to one ecosystem - it's a big mistake to believe that one company has all the best products, now or in the future. And services like Spotify, Dropbox, Google Docs, Skype, GMail and many more work well across all of them. I won't use a service that's limited to or gives preferential treatment to a certain platform. I suggest you don't either.
    tapehead and Jan Tomsic like this.
    04-23-2014 05:29 AM
    That is the worst comparison ever and a pathetic excuse for the issue that tapehead is facing! Especially given the fact that this thread has people that are using windows phones with macs just fine.
    04-23-2014 06:10 AM
    iTunes is garbage, WP users should use Amazon Music. iTunes isn't really compatible with anything except Apple. Tapeheads issue is not Microsoft but Apple.
    This... really doesn't make a lot of sense.
    04-23-2014 07:50 AM
    This right here is pretty much the reason I'm really hoping Sony releases a Windows Phone. Just imagine. Walkman WP8.
    I would die of happiness.

But I will say that since dragging/dropping via the Mac transfer app (even on my 64GB card), I haven't seen a single duplicate. I'm really hoping those days are over. :)
    trooper11 likes this.
    04-23-2014 07:53 AM
110 12345