10-09-2014 06:15 AM
402 ... 1314151617
tools
    I am surprised Nokia/Microsoft didn't unveil anything to "combat" the iPhone 6 launch to keep people from switching. I am seriously thinking on going iPhone 6+ full time and use the 1020 as a full camera. My main gripe is that my mail app refuses to show mail correctly, the content always goes off screen and it looks horrible, as well as it never downloads the full email. The fact I cannot really do anything with an email besides reply or delete it. Cortana and the 41mp camera really are the only reasons at the moment why I like my 1020 more. Everything else has been getting on my nerves lately. As well as maps using data even when I downloaded them.
    09-19-2014 10:22 AM
    I am surprised Nokia/Microsoft didn't unveil anything to "combat" the iPhone 6 launch to keep people from switching. I am seriously thinking on going iPhone 6+ full time and use the 1020 as a full camera. My main gripe is that my mail app refuses to show mail correctly, the content always goes off screen and it looks horrible, as well as it never downloads the full email. The fact I cannot really do anything with an email besides reply or delete it. Cortana and the 41mp camera really are the only reasons at the moment why I like my 1020 more. Everything else has been getting on my nerves lately. As well as maps using data even when I downloaded them.
    Yeah that was supposed to be the McLaren. MS dropped the ball on that one.
    09-19-2014 10:45 AM
    I am surprised Nokia/Microsoft didn't unveil anything to "combat" the iPhone 6 launch to keep people from switching.

Nothing Microsoft could release would ever stop anyone from swtching, upgrading or bus plain old buying an iphone. They know it, everyone else in tech knows it so it would be a waste of time.
    09-19-2014 10:58 AM
    Nothing Microsoft could release would ever stop anyone from swtching, upgrading or bus plain old buying an iphone. They know it, everyone else in tech knows it so it would be a waste of time.
    Sad, but oh so true. Even the mighty Samsung marketing machine is quiet with the Note 4 pre-order today.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    09-19-2014 09:41 PM
    You don't get the gist of what I was saying. I was talking about the apple lemmings that Just HAVE TO HAVE everything they release just because its the new "revolutionary" thing. Even though that's the farthest thing from the truth.

My dad bought the IP5s 2 months ago, the call quality on that phone is terrible.. He is always cutting in and out, and the volume while talking is fluctuating constantly. The app argument is over. There is basically every important app available for WP now. Yes apple has 5 times the amount of apps, however I don't need 10,000 fart apps. The higher end wp devices are much nicer than apples same ole same ole since IP1.

The IOS software is boring at best. It does NOTHING. just sits there with icons waiting to do something. The WP software with live tiles you get all your information you need updated in real time. It's a much better more advanced OS. Plus, you don't need the best newest processors to run the software smoothly. This is a fact that most normal people and salespeople don't understand. My wifes first WP was the 520 and it ran fine with windows 8. I actually like that phone a lot. I have an IPhone 4 sitting in my desk now with an exploded battery, just happend out of the blue. I have never had an issue with any other phone for reilabliity but had 2 screens die and this battery explosion with the apple products in my household. Then there is the ease of use on OSX. What a joke that is. Windows is infinantly easier to use than OSX. But marketing and lack of education on consumers parts make them buy apple. Also on that side is the gotta be seen with apple "status symbol". I need to be seen at Starbucks sitting with my MacBook sipping my fake coffee through a straw.

My windows products work miles better than my apple products did when I had them.

The fanboy comment is far from incredibly stupid. I have a friend, who is an apple fanboy, and every time a new product comes out he's like did you see the I"whatever". Its revolutionary. I wish they would quit with that word, because there is nothing revolutionary coming from apple. All smoke and mirrors.
    All OS's have icons as they're primary UI, live tiles and widgets are just gimmicky extras. The call quality on my 5s is just fine, and I haven't heard any complaints about that anywhere, on any tech site (of course dad could've gotten a dud). Also the app gap is far from over, just look around this very forum. The App Store has the best and most apps, and even if there was 10,000 fart apps, how about the other million? Are they all junk too? Also, so you have an ip4 with some issues (if these examples are even true), again, a dud. I've had plenty of wp/android duds. I do understand what you mean about the stereotype about the Starbucks/status thing that's been beaten to death for years. That kind of crap only comes from these tech sites and forums. Some of that is true, but any iPhone owner I know likes it for other valid reasons. Really? A "boring" OS? That's your opinion, one that not many share with you.
    iamtim likes this.
    09-19-2014 10:36 PM
    I was going for the iPhone 6 plus but apple doesn't know how to operate in phablet land so i think the Note 4 is going to get my money instead. You can't come out with an Half *** phablet in the big phone jungle.
    Whatever that means. Lol.
    09-19-2014 10:42 PM
    Today is a perfect example of how and why the iPhone will always beat Windows Phone (at least until MS changes their methods):

iOS 8 was released about an hour ago, on the day Apple announced it would be released. I went to Settings>General>Software Update on my AT&T iPhone, and started downloading and installing iOS 8. I then picked up my T-Mobile iPhone (AT&T personal, T-Mobile work), did the same thing, and started downloading and installing iOS 8 on it as well. When I go home and do the same thing on my GFs iPhone 4S, iOS 8 will start downloading and installing on it.

When Microsoft and Nokia announced Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan were available, I had to wait 2 months before it was available for my Lumia 820.
    It's still not available for my lumia 928 either.
    iamtim likes this.
    09-19-2014 10:46 PM
    Anybody see those drop test videos on YouTube? Those screens break by just looking at them. The same dude from Phonebuff.com made one for the L920. He had to literally throw it into a concrete street light mooring to break the screen.
    Mach_E likes this.
    09-19-2014 10:49 PM
    09-22-2014 03:42 PM
    No, I'll be getting the Galaxy Note 4. Don't think Microsoft is ever going to figure out how the smart phone industry works
    How does it work? Enlighten us.
    09-22-2014 03:56 PM
    True but neither Android or WP will have the relationship that APPLE has with these service providers. Have you ever wondered why there's always a
    "testing" period with WP and Android and not IOS!!! What we have to understand is that APPLE is homemade, homegrown and homeschooled in the US and the US will always back its own. MS is US as well but unfortunately APPLE has shown that they're just about a product that works and looks good while doing so.
    carlos12001 likes this.
    09-22-2014 03:59 PM
    09-23-2014 08:18 AM
    True but neither Android or WP will have the relationship that APPLE has with these service providers. Have you ever wondered why there's always a
    "testing" period with WP and Android and not IOS!!! What we have to understand is that APPLE is homemade, homegrown and homeschooled in the US and the US will always back its own. MS is US as well but unfortunately APPLE has shown that they're just about a product that works and looks good while doing so.
    it has nothing to do with the US. It has everything to do with leverage. Apple walks into US carrier HQ and says you must do as we say or we will pull our phone from your network. CEO of US carrier sees he will lose literally millions of customers and says.....ok deal. Do as you wish. Microsoft walks in and beggs he carriers to sell the product. Verizon says "ok but we get to decide what color, where our logo goes, and when it get updates. Microsoft says..ok...do as you wish.
    09-23-2014 08:26 AM
    How does it work? Enlighten us.
    My contract ends in November, two years after the launch of WP8, and the Lumia 920. I'll be getting a new Note 4, you figure it out 😊
    09-25-2014 08:13 AM
    Don't forget to mention that the ip6 is the first flexible phone to be released too......oh , wait.

something that bends by just being in your front pocket when you sit is far from a good product.
    09-26-2014 04:57 AM
    Don't forget to mention that the ip6 is the first flexible phone to be released too......oh , wait.

something that bends by just being in your front pocket when you sit is far from a good product.
    This has only happened to 9 people... And those nine people probably put it in their back pockets. This issue is overblown
    carlos12001 likes this.
    09-28-2014 12:14 PM
    This has only happened to 9 people... And those nine people probably put it in their back pockets. This issue is overblown
    No, Apple says only 9 people reported it. That was within an hour of the launch and didn't even include the 354 people that complained rather than reported and the 1,203 that threatened rather than complained. You should check out the RosettaStone spin-doctor language course. ;)
    09-28-2014 03:41 PM
    No, Apple says only 9 people reported it. That was within an hour of the launch and didn't even include the 354 people that complained rather than reported and the 1,203 that threatened rather than complained. You should check out the RosettaStone spin-doctor language course. ;)
    It would still have to be 100k people with the problem for it to even have effected 1% of iPhone 6/+ users. From some estimates, it's roughly 4m 6+ sales, so even going by that it'd have to be 40k to be 1%. That's horrible to happen, but still statistically insignificant.
    iamtim and dgr_874 like this.
    09-28-2014 04:46 PM
    It would still have to be 100k people with the problem for it to even have effected 1% of iPhone 6/+ users. From some estimates, it's roughly 4m 6+ sales, so even going by that it'd have to be 40k to be 1%. That's horrible to happen, but still statistically insignificant.
    You misunderestimate (homage to GWB) the power of negative press. There are 1696 active NFL players in the league at any given time and to my knowledge there have only been 4 players (Rice, Peterson, Hardy & McDonald) accused of domestic violence this year. Unless my math is way off, that works out to only 1/4 of 1 percent yet the league has been skewered every which way. NOW is calling for Commissioner Goodell to resign, Rice has already had his contract voided and McDonald faces the same fate if indicted. Keep in mind that no criminal court has handed down convictions on 3 of the 4 (Hardy) but in the court of public opinion, they've been tried, convicted and executed.

Still think insignificant percentages don't matter? Try 3,176,000 Ford Pintos produced between 1971 and 1980. Everybody knows about the famous gas tank explosions but there were "only" 117 cases. Do the math.
    09-28-2014 07:29 PM
    Will I purchase? NO.

But I'd take the free 6+ from my carrier.
    09-28-2014 07:43 PM
    You misunderestimate (homage to GWB) the power of negative press.
    Yeah, it's totally affected iPhone 6/6+ sales. Sales are so far down on those models because of the negative pre... oh, wait, they're not at all. In fact, they've (again) set sales records.
    carlos12001 likes this.
    09-28-2014 07:51 PM
    Yeah, it's totally affected iPhone 6/6+ sales. Sales are so far down on those models because of the negative pre... oh, wait, they're not at all. In fact, they've (again) set sales records.
    You really think this is over?
    09-28-2014 08:01 PM
    You really think this is over?
    Yup.

Apple offered to replace bent units and Consumer Reports showed that it's largely media hype. Unless Apple does an about face and kicks people who actually bring in bent iPhones to the curb, this will disappear like yesterday's antennagate. And then the 6s/6s+ will come out, Apple will have undoubtedly reinforced the phone, and they'll once again break sales records.
    carlos12001 likes this.
    09-28-2014 08:14 PM
    This came out after the consumer reports test....so, no.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg
    09-28-2014 08:16 PM
    Yup.

Apple offered to replace bent units and Consumer Reports showed that it's largely media hype. Unless Apple does an about face and kicks people who actually bring in bent iPhones to the curb, this will disappear like yesterday's antennagate. And then the 6s/6s+ will come out, Apple will have undoubtedly reinforced the phone, and they'll once again break sales records.
    This is from investor.com:

Last year, Apple sold more than 9 million iPhone 5S and 5C models in the first weekend. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus launch translated to 11% unit growth year over year, which is a much slow growth rate than previous years.

I want to see what the sales figures are post-bendgate. A lot of these 10 million units were from pre-orders and sales before the reports came out. I'll wait for updated figures before I render final judgment.
    09-28-2014 08:34 PM
402 ... 1314151617