Will you purchase the iPhone 6 ?

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
That's the point! No one cares about updates, the fact that KitKat is over 8% of Android smart phones is a good thing. Imagine trying to update literally 10s of millions of devices.

Also I wouldn't brag about the Developer preview, you are literally beta testing. I saw all the threads of how people had problems with it and their battery life suffered. Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

It's not like every android release is perfect, go on xda-developers and check out what the new version broke. For example 4.2 broke bluetooth audio, it took at least 6 months or more to fix it, and the release was supposed to be final. Newly released android is released to lets say 5 devices (Nexus 4, 5, 7, 7v2, 10) and it still has some bugs, WP developer preview first of all is meant for DEVELOPERS so they can test the new APIs on actual hardware, but still, it's released to ALL WP devices and has plenty of bugs, if you do the devices to bugs ratio here, it's about the same. Only enthusiasts really install developer preview, and in stability it's still better then all those 3rd party ROMs that people install on android phones (that almost always break at least one feature like LTE, GPS, camera, HDMI output, BT or something like that).

WP could simply not release as preview and then the official release would be the quality of iOS releases (which I hear are also quite buggy when released, and I've heard they make previous generation iPhones much slower).

No device/OS/system in general is perfect, people usually weigh pros and cons and go for the one with most pros or least cons, or some just follow the crowd.

And to answer the thread question: no, I will not. If I got it for free, I'd probably sell it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's not like every android release is perfect, go on xda-developers and check out what the new version broke. For example 4.2 broke bluetooth audio, it took at least 6 months or more to fix it, and the release was supposed to be final. Newly released android is released to lets say 5 devices (Nexus 4, 5, 7, 7v2, 10) and it still has some bugs, WP developer preview first of all is meant for DEVELOPERS so they can test the new APIs on actual hardware, but still, it's released to ALL WP devices and has plenty of bugs, if you do the devices to bugs ratio here, it's about the same. Only enthusiasts really install developer preview, and in stability it's still better then all those 3rd party ROMs that people install on android phones (that almost always break at least one feature like LTE, GPS, camera, HDMI output, BT or something like that).

WP could simply not release as preview and then the official release would be the quality of iOS releases (which I hear are also quite buggy when released, and I've heard they make previous generation iPhones much slower).

No device/OS/system in general is perfect, people usually weigh pros and cons and go for the one with most pros or least cons, or some just follow the crowd.

And to answer the thread question: no, I will not. If I got it for free, I'd probably sell it.

I never said very Android release is perfect. But 4.4.2. is damn near it. I was referring to the other poster bragging about getting the DP when it was not that good from the beginning.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Weird, 8.1 on my 1020 still has less issues/crashes than stock 4.4.2 on my brand new Nexus 7 2013. I enjoy the Nexus, don't get me wrong...

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I might, listen I have enjoyed the L920 and L1020 hardware and I really like the OS but the apps are better quality on IOS and thats the only thing I really miss and presuades me to go back to an iphone.

Buy a good case if they go with saphire. Saphire is beautiful and very scratch resistant but also, unfortunately, very brittle with a tendency for shattering.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely on the fence about it. I've had two 928s, both with hardware problems. I'm thinking of either switching OEMs or switching platforms altogether. Plus I'm liking what I'm hearing about the new iPhone.

You might try a different device between me,my wife, and best friend have had 7 Nokia phones (4 of them WP, 3 Symbian with 0 hardware issues) might have just been a bad model. My Samsung WP worked fine but felt like a cheap toy and as breakable as one. Give a different model a try I think you'll be happy. If you choose an iPhone that's fine. Just get a great case saphire is quite brittle.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
While you may not like their mobile devices millions do. And they are not overpriced. Overpriced to you. But economically and by comparing high end smartphones from other platforms they are priced the same.

I agree on the fact millions use them. It's not my job to judge their needs and their likings. I state my needs. They don't match with Apple's. Simple as that. One of the reason why i never judge a user for his choice is that i simply don't know what his need is. I need huge slabs with lots of functions, you may need a small, sturdy one for working in a rugged environment, another may need a good photocamera, one may need waterproofing, another may need a status symbol to be accepted in a group of friends. Judging users for their choices is simply wrong.

PRICE: I don't know where are you based. I am in Asia as you may know. Till last year In Taiwan, when all other phones were placed on the market at around 20.000NTD/21.000, iPhone (with smaller screen, already obsolete CPUs, less resolution, etc etc.) was selling for 27.000NTD. (6000NTD = 150 euros roughly). Each time i took the metro, it would be thousands of users staring at their iPhone....so i am aware of the gravitational pull of the brand. Things are changing though. Prices have now dropped slightly, and users seem to pick other devices, mostly Android. That's my reality.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

https://ssl.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iOS7.pdf

Let's add up the whole ecosystem is closed to changes, modifications, etc. Millions of devices looking all alike, without any chance of customization and Apple looming on your head. No thanks. Apart from that, i don't really share a pinch of both ecosystem and business model. The last two are personal tastes. The first part is mainly the reality everyone knows.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree on the fact millions use them. It's not my job to judge their needs and their likings. I state my needs. They don't match with Apple's. Simple as that. One of the reason why i never judge a user for his choice is that i simply don't know what his need is. I need huge slabs with lots of functions, you may need a small, sturdy one for working in a rugged environment, another may need a good photocamera, one may need waterproofing, another may need a status symbol to be accepted in a group of friends. Judging users for their choices is simply wrong.

PRICE: I don't know where are you based. I am in Asia as you may know. Till last year In Taiwan, when all other phones were placed on the market at around 20.000NTD/21.000, iPhone (with smaller screen, already obsolete CPUs, less resolution, etc etc.) was selling for 27.000NTD. (6000NTD = 150 euros roughly). Each time i took the metro, it would be thousands of users staring at their iPhone....so i am aware of the gravitational pull of the brand. Things are changing though. Prices have now dropped slightly, and users seem to pick other devices, mostly Android. That's my reality.

In the U.S. for example iPhone 5C and 5s range from $549-$650 off contract which is the same range for the Lumia Icon ($549), the M8 ($599) and other flagships. That's why when people say Apple is overpriced, I don't understand why they would say that when they all cost the same.

Other countries though, the prices for devices can vary greatly.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
In the U.S. for example iPhone 5C and 5s range from $549-$650 off contract which is the same range for the Lumia Icon ($549), the M8 ($599) and other flagships. That's why when people say Apple is overpriced, I don't understand why they would say that when they all cost the same.

Other countries though, the prices for devices can vary greatly.

Yes prices vary a lot In Italy for example iP5C costs more than any other device
L'iPhone 5c italiano da 8 GB ? il pi? costoso d'Europa - Wired

8GB: 579 Euro
16GB: 629 Euro
32:GB:729 Euros (992.02 USD) (any other top line brand would be 650/699 Euro as a standard)

You need to consider import costs, operators, Apple market position as a premium brand in most EU markets etc. That adds up to the price. Apple products in many parts of Europe (and in Asia too) are infamously known for their outrageous prices that many consider totally unjustified.
That's where sometimes we may argue on prices. Coming from different countries the perception changes.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You said, "Devices are never really yours as Apple retains rights on them". Where does that PDF say that Apple retains rights to the device?

Let's add up the whole ecosystem is closed to changes, modifications, etc.

Except for jailbreaking. Which has been ruled legal. But I concede that most people don't jailbreak and that most iPhones remain in the closed ecosystem.

But on the other hand, how is Windows Phone not closed in that same way?

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
You said, "Devices are never really yours as Apple retains rights on them". Where does that PDF say that Apple retains rights to the device?

Except for jailbreaking. Which has been ruled legal. But I concede that most people don't jailbreak and that most iPhones remain in the closed ecosystem.

But on the other hand, how is Windows Phone not closed in that same way?

If you read the PDF (and those relating to the other devices but phones in particular) it appears clear that the devices are really never yours. I am not even talking about the jailbreaking. I didn't expect you to find a statement saying "Apple claims that the device is never yours". However, there are huge limitations on what you can do, transfer etc. Basically, the device you pay doesn't belong to you. It belongs to Apple. That's my take, especially on phones, i must stress.
You're right that WP is closed too, but not to the extent to which Apple is. Also, bear in mind i come from Android and before Android Windows Mobile 6/6.5. That OS was anything but closed. If you tried it, you know could do much more than you can with Android, without rooting.

My argument is that Apple punishes you for whatever you do to the device and goes great lenghts to let you understand that. This limits your freedom to use your investment as you wish. Microsoft is closed (for now) but not to that level. Android is relatively open (compared to the others; trash compared to WinMobile 6.5 in my opinion in that specific area). You buy the device, operator customized, brand customized or just plain vanilla and then do what you want with it, including rooting, changing Roms etc. That's something you can only dream of with Apple. With Apple you're doomed to have a device you can't customize at all.

Android, WP and Apple have very different philosophies as you know. I am more for WP and Android. WP needs time and people ranting :).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you read the PDF (and those relating to the other devices but phones in particular) it appears clear that the devices are really never yours.

Can you point out the clauses and phrases which lead you to that conclusion? I'm not trying to be obstinate; I don't come to that same conclusion and I'm curious about your interpretations.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I never said very Android release is perfect. But 4.4.2. is damn near it. I was referring to the other poster bragging about getting the DP when it was not that good from the beginning.

My Nexus 7 has never been so slow as it is on 4.4.2.
When I got it with 4.1 preinstalled, it was the fastest, since then it was all downhill. Also 4.4 is ugly. In my opinion.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes prices vary a lot In Italy for example iP5C costs more than any other device
L'iPhone 5c italiano da 8 GB ? il pi? costoso d'Europa - Wired

8GB: 579 Euro
16GB: 629 Euro
32:GB:729 Euros (992.02 USD) (any other top line brand would be 650/699 Euro as a standard)

You need to consider import costs, operators, Apple market position as a premium brand in most EU markets etc. That adds up to the price. Apple products in many parts of Europe (and in Asia too) are infamously known for their outrageous prices that many consider totally unjustified.
That's where sometimes we may argue on prices. Coming from different countries the perception changes.

All phones come from China, import costs are the same. Apple just charges more because it can.
In Telekom Slovenia iPhone 5S is the most expensive phone you can get.
Galaxy S5, HTC M8 are 24x23€, 1520 (32GB) is 24x22€, 16GB iP 5S is 24x24,12€ and 32gb and 64gb are 28,2 and 32,5€ per month for two years.
It's by far the most expensive phone, even though other flagships cost almost the same (16GB variants), so 16GB is not all that overpriced, but ones with more memory certainly are, especially because you can buy 64GB or even 128GB SD card for the price difference. Yet somehow they're always sold out.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Blasphemy! Delete this thread!

Or just let people spend their money however they like... I personally can't stand IOS, but I do recognize that some prefer it, even having tried other OSs. Honestly if I could stomach IOS in even small doses (and if it worked with Xbox music pass) I would pick up an iTouch for music in the car. Because gapless playback.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Wait, iPhones are cheaper in India? :confused:
I have to ask about your avatar and I hope its not too soon.

We all know everyone in heaven uses WP and that everyone in the other place gets iPhones, But how do you know where Steve went?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb