Will you purchase the iPhone 6 ?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
In the U.S. for example iPhone 5C and 5s range from $549-$650 off contract which is the same range for the Lumia Icon ($549), the M8 ($599) and other flagships. That's why when people say Apple is overpriced, I don't understand why they would say that when they all cost the same.

Other countries though, the prices for devices can vary greatly.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Not a fair comparison! That Iphone has been out for a while. A better comparison would be the Lumia 920 as it has been out about as long.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Not a fair comparison! That Iphone has been out for a while. A better comparison would be the Lumia 920 as it has been out about as long.

The 5C and 5S is from 2013! What are you smoking? The 920 is from 2012! A fair comparison is any of the products I just mentioned before.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The 5C and 5S is from 2013! What are you smoking? The 920 is from 2012! A fair comparison is any of the products I just mentioned before.

I mean, technically, the 5C is the iPhone 5 with a plastic coating. The internals are the same.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's true, but it was released the same time as 5S.
A fair(er) comparison would be 5C and 925, since they're both just re-coated last years model.

It's not fair at all to compare devices based on internals alone. We are comparing them on time of release and off contract price.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Can you point out the clauses and phrases which lead you to that conclusion? I'm not trying to be obstinate; I don't come to that same conclusion and I'm curious about your interpretations.

Hi Tim,

I don't thinkg you are obstinate. I stated something. You want more information. I agree it's fair. Let's go see a bit and then i'll explain you why i think what i think:

1. General.
(a) The software (including Boot ROM code and other embedded software), documentation, interfaces,
content, fonts and any data that came with your iOS Device ("Original iOS Software"), as may be
updated or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates or system restore software provided by
Apple ("iOS Software Updates"), whether in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form
(the Original iOS Software and iOS Software Updates are collectively referred to as the “iOS Software")
are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. ("Apple") for use only under the terms of this License. Apple
and its licensors retain ownership of the iOS Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted
to you....

- It's true many others have the same take on this. However Apple has been pursuing this area with unprecedented aggressivity.

e. This License does not grant you any rights to use Apple proprietary interfaces and other
intellectual property in the design,
development, manufacture, licensing or distribution of third party
devices and accessories, or third party software applications, for use with iOS Devices

- This doesn't exist in Android for example. You simply do whatever you like. And that's why you have such a variety of things you can do on it.

(c) You may not, and you agree not to or enable others to, copy (except as expressly permitted by this
License), decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, decrypt,
modify, or create derivative works of the iOS Software or any services provided by the iOS Software or
any part thereof (except as and only to the extent any foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable
law or by licensing terms governing use of open-source components that may be included with the iOS
Software).

- Again, this is case of striking difference between open and close ecosystems. I agree you'll tell me WP is the same after you read this. However A) Android is not and B) Microsoft since Mobile 6.5 has always been very very flexible in regards to this. Apple is famous for being very very selfish and greedy and protective in these areas.

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute, or sublicense the iOS Software. You may,
however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the iOS Software to another
party in connection with the transfer of ownership of your iOS Device, provided that: (a) the transfer must
include your iOS Device and all of the iOS Software, including all its component parts, original media,
printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the iOS Software, full or partial,
including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the iOS
Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License.

The section above looks perfectly in line with all major software producers, EXCEPT section B is at times not seen in other products.

These are just a few. We have to consider not only the striking difference between OPEN and CLOSED OS (And whatever stays in the middle, like WP in my opinion) but also the way Apple has built a reputation as very selfish aggressive company in protecting its own devices.

This adds up to what i said before. It's a very closed system that doesn't allow for the level of flexibility users like me require and doesn't offer the level of "perceived liberty of choice" people like me want in their device.

Bear in mind that is not just my interpretation. It's how Apple is considered and perceived by a vast variety of users in Europe and Asia. The fact such limitations come at a higher price in our markets just worsens the opinion on the product. This is a generic outlook. My personal stance is also that i follow any company allowing me free to create or customize my device without affecting my privacy (too much). Android used to be this. Since Google "evolved" its strategy compelling users to join G+ i got the same reaction and distanced myself from their platform. It's gradual..but it's happening.

So summing up, my opinion on Apple is not only due to the fact they have certain legal limitations open systems don't have (and some closed ones take more flexibly), but also in the way they attack users to keep their ecosystem protected. It's a concept i don't share. That is why i claimed "They are never yours". Something you can't customize, change, modify and has so many limitations can't be yours. iOS and Windows represent a good example in this. I buy a copy of Windows 8 and then can do so much stuff on it (despite MSFT limitations on paper) that the system becomes mine. On iOS you can't. Android allows you to do whatever you want, Linux goes a step further. This also reflects in their mobile platforms.

Hope this explains better.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Good lord, everytime I see this thread pop up, I think it says Wii U purchase iPhone 6 and I get so confused. Hate you, OP ;)

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
All phones come from China, import costs are the same. Apple just charges more because it can.
In Telekom Slovenia iPhone 5S is the most expensive phone you can get.
Galaxy S5, HTC M8 are 24x23?, 1520 (32GB) is 24x22?, 16GB iP 5S is 24x24,12? and 32gb and 64gb are 28,2 and 32,5? per month for two years.
It's by far the most expensive phone, even though other flagships cost almost the same (16GB variants), so 16GB is not all that overpriced, but ones with more memory certainly are, especially because you can buy 64GB or even 128GB SD card for the price difference. Yet somehow they're always sold out.

Italy has higher import taxes. This also applies if you send the phone as a gift to a friend. Customs stop it at the border, calls your friend at home tells him/her there is a package and duties have to be paid or the package is sent back. On a 700 Euros phone (which you buy for 530 Euros in Taiwan) you need to pay those taxes and therefore you still pay around 650/700 euros in all.

Even assuming (i know it's not true) that all those phones come from China, you need to consider single country import taxes are different.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hope this explains better.

Hmm.

I see a lot of stuff which talks about the iOS software, but nothing about the device itself. It's known that with almost all commercial software - especially OSs like iOS - that you don't own the software, you're only given license to use it. You're entitled to your opinion and I don't think you're wrong with some of your critiques of Apple's "ecosystem", but based on what you've shown me I can't agree that there is anything which infers that you don't actually own the device itself.

Thanks for all the information, though.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There's 2 things holding me back. 1. Size, which may be addressed this year. 2. The home screen is lame. I don't see this changing, much, for a while. Therefore, I don't ever plan on buying an iPhone.

iPad? If i had the cash, maybe.

I think a Windows Phone, an iPad Mini retina and a Surface Pro would be my gadget heaven, at the moment. Best of both worlds.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
You know, this might finally be great time to buy a 5S. Since the 6 will have a much larger screen people will be jumping to it like crazy. Might drive the used 5s prices down.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Italy has higher import taxes. This also applies if you send the phone as a gift to a friend. Customs stop it at the border, calls your friend at home tells him/her there is a package and duties have to be paid or the package is sent back. On a 700 Euros phone (which you buy for 530 Euros in Taiwan) you need to pay those taxes and therefore you still pay around 650/700 euros in all.

Even assuming (i know it's not true) that all those phones come from China, you need to consider single country import taxes are different.

Import duties set at EU level, so are the same in Italy and Slovenia.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
After last night's conference I just might. If iPhone 6 will be bigger that 4", then I'm buying one ... 2nd hand in 4 years when prices go really down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo