11-22-2014 10:43 PM
423 ... 14151617
tools
    Seriously? I'm not an iPhone user, but you're completely out in left field with this statement. iPhone is the biggest seller here in the U.S., and with carrier subsidies, no one thinks about the cost of a phone. I also never see people buy or use Windows Phones, never at concerts or events, or clubs, or any place where there's a large gathering of people.

hmm, this doesn't seem to be the case with me even though I am in the US...seen loads of people with Lumias ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    06-06-2014 01:51 AM
    Then you have those iPhone fans wanting to upgrade but questioning the value of the phone for the price versus the line up of WP and Android phones. Not to mention to fully utilize iOS8 you want other Apple devices. A hard sell when there will be MSFT products at very price conscious devices.
    This ftw
    06-06-2014 03:48 AM
    That's the case only in India.but still I only see lot of Samsung galaxies in buses nd trains.I will India is Samsung country.most popular is grand 2 nd grand.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    its not
    canvas is the most popular, there was even a survey conducted on that by thinkdigit
    06-06-2014 06:30 AM
    Yes I don't see motos in Chennai atleast there are all Samsung galaxies.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    maybe you live close to a samsung cafe coz micromax is arguably the most popular
    i dont like micromax but theres no denying its the most popular
    06-06-2014 06:31 AM
    Didn't the GNex get kicked out of Ubuntu for Android? I think the Nexus 7 (2013) and Nexus 4 are supported now because of the same specs. Either way, Ubuntu is going to have it's own devices late this year and next. Verizon (my carrier) is also signed on as a potential carrier for Ubuntu phones as well. I can't wait! Ubuntu is what WP should have been from the get go, a Desktop OS and Phone OS that is the same through and through.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    its sluggish on my nexus 7 as well
    06-06-2014 06:33 AM
    WP8.1 still has less features than iOS 8 regardless of whether you call it a major update or minor. Windows Phone is not that new, that needs to stop. Windows phone has been on the market for almost 4 years now.

make your own os then and come back with the features you wanted, its not easy to code an entire os
    06-06-2014 06:34 AM
    Yup...WP has been out for a while..

People will always be unimpressed I guess,especially when they really don't like something,even if it is better than before.

Heck,I'm unimpressed with Google and and folks swear by them thinking they are the best at everything,when they really aren't ๐Ÿ˜‹

Mac
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-06-2014 07:41 AM
    Yup...WP has been out for a while..

People will always be unimpressed I guess,especially when they really don't like something,even if it is better than before.

Heck,I'm unimpressed with Google and and folks swear by them thinking they are the best at everything,when they really aren't ๐Ÿ˜‹

Mac
    They are everywhere that's not USA... At least Google web services.
    A895 likes this.
    06-06-2014 08:17 AM
    Seriously? I'm not an iPhone user, but you're completely out in left field with this statement. iPhone is the biggest seller here in the U.S., and with carrier subsidies, no one thinks about the cost of a phone. I also never see people buy or use Windows Phones, never at concerts or events, or clubs, or any place where there's a large gathering of people.
    This.

06-06-2014 08:23 AM
    make your own os then and come back with the features you wanted, its not easy to code an entire os
    When toy have the money and power Microsoft does, they should have been gotten it right. But that's why it has been said lately around here that Windows Phone isn't a prime focus for Microsoft. The focusing on Xbox and their Services, WP has been on low priority. Yeah, they are going to release WP8.1 OTA, but besides the 930 there is no indication of more high end lumias.

06-06-2014 08:26 AM
    hmm, this doesn't seem to be the case with me even though I am in the US...seen loads of people with Lumias ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I have only seen maybe 6 WPs out of the almost 2 years I have been in Atlanta. I see mostly iPhones and Samsung Galaxy devices and mixed in LG, HTC and prepaid Android phones all the time.

06-06-2014 08:28 AM
    Please, most people with an iPhone end up getting other Apple gear. And not to burst bubbles but I highly doubt someone goes in store in September and considers a WP when there is a bunch of high end Android devices and the iPhone 6 on the shelf.

I would have to say you're more incorrect than correct. I would venture to say that there are more people that own iPhones by themselves than those that own an iPad or Mac in addition to. Either way, there are a few factors that you're not taking into consideration. First, only AT&T had the iPhone so many didn't get one because of the carrier. For the first time since WPs induction you're going to have a cross carrier WP debuting on three carriers at the same time in the fall. It wasn't until the iPhone went to Verizon and Sprint that it really planted itself as "the phone." Second, why do you think iPad sales succumbed to Android tablet sales...price and capability. MSFT just announced tablets will be on sale with price points that will rival those of Android. So the question for people looking to holiday shop will be Windows tablet or Android tablet, because during that time of the year its all about extending your budget, and that something you have more difficulty doing with Apple. Metrics indicate Apple will loose market share to WP in the next coming years. That's in part to the growing popularity of WP and the growing competency of the mobile market. How many people are buying iPhones just because they're iPhones?? Its become iconic, but even that is starting to fade a little.
    06-06-2014 09:24 AM
    I would have to say you're more incorrect than correct. I would venture to say that there are more people that own iPhones by themselves than those that own an iPad or Mac in addition to. Either way, there are a few factors that you're not taking into consideration. First, only AT&T had the iPhone so many didn't get one because of the carrier. For the first time since WPs induction you're going to have a cross carrier WP debuting on three carriers at the same time in the fall. It wasn't until the iPhone went to Verizon and Sprint that it really planted itself as "the phone." Second, why do you think iPad sales succumbed to Android tablet sales...price and capability. MSFT just announced tablets will be on sale with price points that will rival those of Android. So the question for people looking to holiday shop will be Windows tablet or Android tablet, because during that time of the year its all about extending your budget, and that something you have more difficulty doing with Apple. Metrics indicate Apple will loose market share to WP in the next coming years. That's in part to the growing popularity of WP and the growing competency of the mobile market. How many people are buying iPhones just because they're iPhones?? Its become iconic, but even that is starting to fade a little.
    Even then Android has been growing too, a lot of people who end up leaving iOS go to Android. As of right now, there is little reason to move to Windows Phone, especially if you already were using the latest iPhones and Android devices. Again, Windows Phone in the U.S. is more popular on the low end. Not the high end.

06-06-2014 09:55 AM
    Ok folks, lets get this thread back on track.

[WARN]If we can't keep these posts directly related to the new features in iOS8, then this thread will be closed.[/WARN]
    06-06-2014 10:26 AM
    I figure it like this.

Apple didn't get where they are by being dumb.

This combination of IOS 8 and Yosemite is going to allow a very large segment of their ecosystem to utilize phablets if rumors are true,and make more money ๐Ÿ’ต for them in the long run. They make more money on the phone than the tablets,and since there are going to be tons of cheap tablets it will make sense to offer it to folks not wanting 3devices but 2.

Also the hard nut is beginning to crack.IOS 8 is opening up some with 3rd party keyboards and has a new coding way for games.....

Transparencies,integration,bigger screens while common place for Android or WP,is a huge deal for Apple,and gives it to those who have been asking for this,and offers more to those who aren't with them yet.
    Folks say nothing ground breaking,I say to them they aren't looking at the big picture.......for Apple to open up some is ground breaking...with out having to jailbreak....how much more will they open up.

The next big thing will be voice integration with out data mining issues. The easier and more secure both Cortana and Siri can be made,the bigger the draw to both,and I fully believe we haven't seen this played out yet to JQP.

I have about 10 close friends who all have different Androids,these guys are power users too. They all have asked me what I thought about IOS 8 and know what phone I have (ATT 1520)..I pointed them to the WWDC and see what was coming..they now are more than curious about it if a larger phone is available for it. They all like my 1520 but aren't wanting to carry a behemoth of a cell phone around...and haven't heard much about 8.1...
    This is what the difference between the two platforms really boils down to....media attention,commercials,getting recognition....and is also why IOS 8 is a big deal..it's giving folks more than before who are on another platform and want something new.. There hasn't been that much advertising about it yet,and already it has people interested in it...wonder why WP is in 3rd place..just imagine come release time..yes..it's impressive..from the changes to the marketing of it
    06-06-2014 05:07 PM
    Apple just copied Windows phone 8.1 features.
    06-06-2014 05:49 PM
    Apple just copied Windows phone 8.1 features.
    Yeah, and Microsoft has copied things from other mobile OS's. That's how software improves.
    06-06-2014 06:41 PM
    Wonder if they fixed the sync issue with iTunes that they have neglected for over a year.... Probably not.
    06-06-2014 11:49 PM
    Yeah, and Microsoft has copied things from other mobile OS's. That's how software improves.
    I'd say that's how software stays boring, which I think is the general comment of the OP's starting post. Yeah those features may be great for iOS but how are they great as a whole for regular and mobile computing? The only thing that seems decently impressive to me is Handoff. That looks to be a refinement of what MS is trying to accomplish with their unified experience. I analogize what Apple's doing with that in terms of MS and Cortana.

However, overall I'd agree with the OP there's not much to really go crazy over--not like decades ago at least when things were really fresh.
    06-07-2014 12:29 AM
    I find it anything but boring.

They have added new features,improved it's performance,changed it's looks,allowing changes via 3rd party development,and will be offering larger screens.

I honestly don't believe that some people here would be impressed regardless what they did,and it shows by all the hate that is shown by these people and even if they did something so awesome and ground breaking enough to change the mobile phone market in its entirety,these folks would still find something to rag about them. They would claim Apple stole it from WP or Android or bellyache that it is to expensive.

Unbelievable

Mac
    tgp and HAMEDACC like this.
    06-07-2014 07:40 AM
    I'd say that's how software stays boring, which I think is the general comment of the OP's starting post. Yeah those features may be great for iOS but how are they great as a whole for regular and mobile computing? The only thing that seems decently impressive to me is Handoff. That looks to be a refinement of what MS is trying to accomplish with their unified experience. I analogize what Apple's doing with that in terms of MS and Cortana.

However, overall I'd agree with the OP there's not much to really go crazy over--not like decades ago at least when things were really fresh.
    I agree that there's nothing to go crazy over. They apparently are pushing features back to 8.1, to make sure that 10.10 gets done. Also, I think these next two OS releases (8 and 8.1) and likely to be more refinement and under the hood than anything else.
    06-07-2014 09:27 AM
    When toy have the money and power Microsoft does, they should have been gotten it right. But that's why it has been said lately around here that Windows Phone isn't a prime focus for Microsoft. The focusing on Xbox and their Services, WP has been on low priority. Yeah, they are going to release WP8.1 OTA, but besides the 930 there is no indication of more high end lumias.

what are you saying? you dont know how WP works then
    see how many apps and updates are made by nokia and microsoft for WP then talk
    get a WP and youll see why we love WP
    no need for too many third party apps, the oem ones are awesome
    how do you know there wont be any more high end lumias , thats the vaguest statement ive ever read, isnt it obvious they will release a 1530,1030 etc
    its like saying samsung wont make a galaxy s6 or apple wont make iphone 6

"Windows Phone isn't a prime focus for Microsoft"
    Lolwut? dude they plan to merge all their services and OS's for a unified experience
    8.1 is just the start with the new .APPX format which is easy for wp8.1 and w8.1 releases of apps
    06-07-2014 03:30 PM
    You're right: It's not easy. Hence why we give our money to companies to make, offer and sell a quality and compelling product.

Seriously, that logic will ruin the world, because it wouldn't leave room to criticize anything. Don't like a movie? Go make your own! Supermarket sold you rotten meat? Raise your own cows! A landscaper you hired did a **** job on your yard? Go do it yourself! Etc, etc.

Yeah, the whole point of this magical little thing we call an economy is to facilitate the trade and exchange of goods. They're supposed to do the hard work we can't and don't want to do, and we pay them in return. They don't listen? Then we speak with our wallets: By spending money elsewhere.

So hell yeah, it's tough to build an OS, hence why I'm giving them my money to do it for me. As such, if they don't give me what I want: I can go elsewhere, where I can receive what I desire. Gotta love the choice available in a consumer-driven economy. :P
    06-07-2014 10:39 PM

Yeah, people have kept copying that whole idea of a metal box on wheels for decades. Seriously, that concept has gone nowhere, not improved at all. Exactly the same, nothing new or interesting. Nope, nothing at all.
    tgp likes this.
    06-07-2014 10:43 PM
    Whether you like Apple or not and if you like what Apple announced or not we all have to agree on something.

It's creating competition and pushing technology forward, and when one company pushes the tech bar forward the others follow. When tech pushes forward and competition heats up we win as consumers.

Sent from my Bambo and Orange Moto X
    06-07-2014 11:48 PM
423 ... 14151617