11-22-2014 11:43 PM
423 1234 ...
tools
    What's impressive about WP8.1 (Genuine question) cause most of the features(all of them actually) are available on other OSes.
    I love WP very much, but you have to be realistic. iOS8 is really great
    What's impressive about WP8.1, download the DP and find out for yourself.
    a5cent and James8561 like this.
    06-02-2014 04:05 PM
    Lol what? The biggest thing that I hear people talking about is predictive text. PREDICTIVE TEXT. My 3 year old Android had that. Its a solid update, no doubt, but nothing very impressive.
    I can go one better than that, my HTC Desire had predictive text and that's, what, 5 years old!!!
    Jas00555 and a5cent like this.
    06-02-2014 04:07 PM
    I heard even Windows Mobile had predictive text and swipe typing
    06-02-2014 04:16 PM
    Yes, I'm sure the 5% of the planet with a Mac will be happy. Unfortunately, they are a small minority.
    So if MS implements it, it would be exactly the same just on opposite ends since only 5% of people worldwide use WP. Unfortunately, they are a small minority.
    anon5997296 and HaibaneReki like this.
    06-02-2014 04:22 PM
    What's impressive about WP8.1, download the DP and find out for yourself.
    Point of my post to which you replied to: Almost everything on WP8.1 is already on other devices, so all the "apple copied this" comments are irrelevant. I have WP8.1
    So if MS implements it, it would be exactly the same just on opposite ends since only 5% of people worldwide use WP. Unfortunately, they are a small minority.
    You beat me to this
    Not just any swipeable keyboard - it had Swype. Swype moved to Android after WP7 came out without a replaceable soft keyboard.
    06-02-2014 04:23 PM
    Yet WP8 doesn't have swipe. Remember WP8.1 hasn't been officially released yet
    A895 and Ebuka Allison like this.
    06-02-2014 04:23 PM
    I think iOS8 brings some innovative things, but I wouldn't say it blows the integration of WP8.1 out of the water. Again, 8.1 is fresh too. They are releasing the DP of iOS8 later this month. WP8.1 just got another update today. Where iOS8 took the iphone isn't as far as WP8.1 took WP. Again this is no knock on iOS or anything Apple. My whole point with them has always been price point. Who cares if you can call on an iPad to an iPhone if only the top 15% of society can afford it? Why call when you can facetime, Skype, or Whatsapp anyway? Wait, that's because most of the market outside the US uses those applications and that's why iOS8 isn't going to matter in Asia, or Europe as much as Andriod or WP. Being able to respone directly from the notifcation center is cool, but with live tiles I feel like you already have better method. I like how you can double tap the control button and it'll open the last app you were at, but you could do that anyway via another method. I can understand people being a little underwhelmed considering how hush, hush, Apple had been. Still it's a nice OS update and will give the fans of Apple a continuation of what they have come to expect. A polished and refined OS. the question is how many fans will they continue to have.
    TheMightyCraken likes this.
    06-02-2014 04:26 PM
    Yeah... Exactly.... That was my point. Anything Mac-specific is only as good as anything Windows Phone specific. For example, the WiFi sense thing that allows me to share my WiFi without a password is cool, but I don't know anyone with a Windows Phone that well, so its useless to me. I'm not sure what your point is.
    06-02-2014 04:29 PM
    iOS is too expensive if you take a price/quality comparison. It makes no sense paying 800 for an iPhone which actually has the same functions as a decent Windows Phone running 8.1 which may cost 500.
    Jorlon likes this.
    06-02-2014 04:31 PM
    iOS is too expensive if you take a price/quality comparison. It makes no sense paying 800 for an iPhone which actually has the same functions as a decent Windows Phone running 8.1 which may cost 500.
    That means to an extent all flagship Windows phone can be compared to low end Windows phone except for camera.yet people buy flagship wp devices.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    06-02-2014 04:38 PM
    Yet WP8 doesn't have swipe. Remember WP8.1 hasn't been officially released yet
    Did the Lumia 630 cease to exist or something?
    Jas00555, Jorlon, a5cent and 5 others like this.
    06-02-2014 04:38 PM
    I am watching WWDC 2014 live and I must say, I really expected Apple to pull a bigger refresh... same with OS X Yosemite... please share your ideas :)
    If you've been with apple for any length of time then you know shouldn't be unimpressed. This update is about as mediocre as all the pretty updates they've had over the past few years. IOS 6 is probably the last good OS. Everything else has been weak features and a complete ignore of features people really want.
    06-02-2014 04:42 PM
    That means to an extent all flagship Windows phone can be compared to low end Windows phone except for camera.yet people buy flagship wp devices.

I mean, yeah, its true. You get pretty much the same experience across the board. That's what makes WP so great. I could easily live with a 520, but I like the awesome camera and nicer screen and the other, better specs, so I buy flagships.
    06-02-2014 04:44 PM

Well, where I live we get phones on contract mostly. And we get many WP devices ( 920,1020,1520 Lumia ) for free, while for an iPhone 5 we get to pay an additional 500 to our monthly bill. It's insane!
    06-02-2014 04:46 PM
    Now that they have Beats, its probably going to be an even better stunner. I'll wait on the highlights and details.
    Beats is just a marketable name. Their audio is over priced mid grade.
    Jorlon and a5cent like this.
    06-02-2014 04:47 PM
    No multitasking, despite the fevered wishes of some Apple centric tech bloggers, and no separate user accounts. Geez Apple its 2014. And no "family unit" isn't the same thing. This was really pretty sad.
    06-02-2014 04:53 PM
    You cant say that taking a call on the mac isnt cool though.
    06-02-2014 05:02 PM
    You cant say that taking a call on the mac isnt cool though.

It's not. Skype does that.
    06-02-2014 05:07 PM
    And still no iTunes overhaul or apple ID overhaul either.
    06-02-2014 05:08 PM
    No file manager. Yet there is a cloud storage solution but with a weak 5gb free limit. Forcing you to pay since you can't save files locally. Everything they do is to tie you deeper and deeper into their system smh.
    06-02-2014 05:10 PM
    Yeah... Exactly.... That was my point. Anything Mac-specific is only as good as anything Windows Phone specific. For example, the WiFi sense thing that allows me to share my WiFi without a password is cool, but I don't know anyone with a Windows Phone that well, so its useless to me. I'm not sure what your point is.
    My point is that it's still a great feature regardless of how many people can use it. It would be an awesome feature either way. I have Macs in my house but if I didn't it would make me want to buy one. It would also be outstanding if WP had this feature as I'm sure it would sell phones. BTW it also works between iPhones and iPad.
    A895 likes this.
    06-02-2014 05:14 PM
    iOS is very mature overall and they can now keep refining and polishing the software even further.

The notification center and the new messaging app are way ahead of the competition.

Also, the new "metal" tech seems really powerful for 3D rendering so I expect to see some awesome games in their store soon.

Its really hard to bash a well executed product.

Now, on osx 10.10 vs. Win 8.1 .. that's another story...
    06-02-2014 05:18 PM
    I'm surprised by the negativity for iOS 8 here. I'd say that is one of the most solid developer conferences I've ever seen. The sheer amount of stuff they have given developers is almost un-Apple-like!

By giving Notification Center widgets they have brought its functionality ahead of WP 8.1 and possibly ahead of Android. Opening up the OS as they have done clearly shows Tim Cook is his own man. Jobs would never have allowed this level of openness.

Homekit is clearly a play to hurt Google in a big way. Google buys Nest; Apple creates a proprietary API for every other home automation maker to plug in to. Other platforms may end up with several apps to control various different devices whereas an iPhone can just do it all under the same system. Saying "Hey Siri, open my garage door. Hey Siri, switch the living room lights on", you cannot not be impressed at that.

Personally the Jony Ive colours, transparency and gradients design is not to my taste so the iPhone 5 was my last iOS device but Microsoft and Google have some catching up to do. The downside for Microsoft is that they have played their hand already. Google has Google I/O in a few weeks and I can only imagine they have some sort of response. Especially with Apple bulking up Spotlight like they have. Clearly another play to keep users from even needing to open a web browser to search.

Today was all about Apple building the ecosystem and pretty much owning it. The funny part is the only aspect of their ecosystem they don't control is the search (currently powered by Bing). Within the next two years they will announce their own search engine, I'm convinced of that now seeing today's event.
    06-02-2014 05:19 PM
423 1234 ...