11-22-2014 11:43 PM
423 12345 ...
tools
    iOS is too expensive if you take a price/quality comparison. It makes no sense paying 800€ for an iPhone which actually has the same functions as a decent Windows Phone running 8.1 which may cost €500.
    I'm American so it may be different but all my iPhones have paid for themselves after a one time purchase of $650. Every year around September I sell it get the latest model with very little extra cash on top. iPhones keep their value and they also cost just as much as other flagship phones. You can't sell a 3 year old WP for $250.
    06-02-2014 05:21 PM
    I'm surprised by the negativity for iOS 8 here. I'd say that is one of the most solid developer conferences I've ever seen. The sheer amount of stuff they have given developers is almost un-Apple-like!

By giving Notification Center widgets they have brought its functionality ahead of WP 8.1 and possibly ahead of Android. Opening up the OS as they have done clearly shows Tim Cook is his own man. Jobs would never have allowed this level of openness.

Homekit is clearly a play to hurt Google in a big way. Google buys Nest; Apple creates a proprietary API for every other home automation maker to plug in to. Other platforms may end up with several apps to control various different devices whereas an iPhone can just do it all under the same system. Saying "Hey Siri, open my garage door. Hey Siri, switch the living room lights on", you cannot not be impressed at that.

Personally the Jony Ive colours, transparency and gradients design is not to my taste so the iPhone 5 was my last iOS device but Microsoft and Google have some catching up to do. The downside for Microsoft is that they have played their hand already. Google has Google I/O in a few weeks and I can only imagine they have some sort of response. Especially with Apple bulking up Spotlight like they have. Clearly another play to keep users from even needing to open a web browser to search.

Today was all about Apple building the ecosystem and pretty much owning it. The funny part is the only aspect of their ecosystem they don't control is the search (currently powered by Bing). Within the next two years they will announce their own search engine, I'm convinced of that now seeing today's event.
    Thank you! Finally an opinion that didn't reek of fanboy. If the OS wasn't hideous and threw phones weren't miniscule it'd be the only considerable high end phone.
    Arka1412 and wrm1 like this.
    06-02-2014 05:22 PM
    Very excited about the upcoming OSX Yosemite summer preview, since I got a MacBook Pro a few days ago. No plans to leave WP 8.1 - it's just beautiful, connected to OneDrive, great camera, video, Office, Bing. Same with Surface 2... I'm looking forward to a great RT update in the months ahead; for my needs it should be a bit more exciting than iOS 8.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-02-2014 05:27 PM
    Now that they have Beats, its probably going to be an even better stunner. I'll wait on the highlights and details.
    Beats wont be helping apple make a better operating system than MS. Beats is a highly marketed headphones with subpar audio performance in comparison to true audio companies.
    b23h likes this.
    06-02-2014 05:28 PM
    Yet WP8 doesn't have swipe. Remember WP8.1 hasn't been officially released yet
    And.... WORD FLOW is 100% better than that crappy thing calle Swype. Former Galaxy S user that loathe the stupid swype keyboard on it.
    TheMightyCraken likes this.
    06-02-2014 05:33 PM
    I absolutely hate the contacts floating on top in the multitasking view in ios 8. That feature alone will keep me off ios and I do hope that Microsoft does not copy this feature.
    06-02-2014 05:33 PM
    The continuity sold me. I am going to love being able to respond to text messages, recieve phone calls, and pick up right where I was on my iMac, iPhone, or iPad. IMO it completly blows MS integration out of the water. I'm very curious to see how Google responds and am somewhat disappointed the all of MS's cards are showing. Just when they finally catch up, Apple makes me want to go full on iOS.
    Dude, I know that feeling. .. you these features won't look do great in reality. ..had to learn this the hard way -_-
    06-02-2014 05:40 PM
    windows phone 8.1 turned out to be something big and unexpected with many improvements, new features and so on. but there are some features i would like to see in order to keep the hype and momentum of windows phone 8.1 going. we need something or anything we can get that reduce the hype ios 8 is now receiving. imagine on CNN they are talking about feature like actionable notification, family/ room, always on siri like they are the new apples innovation.
    please vote for these features and share with as many people as you can.
    actionable notification, always on cortana, picture password – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
    06-02-2014 05:42 PM
    Very excited about the upcoming OSX Yosemite summer preview, since I got a MacBook Pro a few days ago. No plans to leave WP 8.1 - it's just beautiful, connected to OneDrive, great camera, video, Office, Bing. Same with Surface 2... I'm looking forward to a great RT update in the months ahead; for my needs it should be a bit more exciting than iOS 8.
    hey did they announce what the hardware limitation on those will be? will all macs currently running maverics be able to upgrade?
    06-02-2014 05:43 PM
    I think iOS8 brings some innovative things, but I wouldn't say it blows the integration of WP8.1 out of the water. Again, 8.1 is fresh too. They are releasing the DP of iOS8 later this month. WP8.1 just got another update today. Where iOS8 took the iphone isn't as far as WP8.1 took WP. Again this is no knock on iOS or anything Apple. My whole point with them has always been price point. Who cares if you can call on an iPad to an iPhone if only the top 15% of society can afford it? Why call when you can facetime, Skype, or Whatsapp anyway? Wait, that's because most of the market outside the US uses those applications and that's why iOS8 isn't going to matter in Asia, or Europe as much as Andriod or WP. Being able to respone directly from the notifcation center is cool, but with live tiles I feel like you already have better method. I like how you can double tap the control button and it'll open the last app you were at, but you could do that anyway via another method. I can understand people being a little underwhelmed considering how hush, hush, Apple had been. Still it's a nice OS update and will give the fans of Apple a continuation of what they have come to expect. A polished and refined OS. the question is how many fans will they continue to have.
    Couldn't have said it better... but still wish Microsoft world play a last cats and support 3rd party keyboards (not that I have any problem with the Microsoft Keyboard) Also they should integrate the WP platform even more with the Windows platform just like Apple is doing. ..
    06-02-2014 05:48 PM
    Most people brought up in the WP experience don't use the actions center as a primary notication point, but a primary access point. Live tiles provides a lot of what the new widgets for the notificatons center for iOS8. I can already respond from the action center, but I can also respond from the people hub. MSFT has been developing universal apps that coexist on WP and Windows. Can you buy apps that work on your iPhone and work on your Mac? Do you have to pay for the OS X variant? MSFT is bridging the cap between WP and Windows. WP was smart to release the DP for 8.1 for anyone who had a developer account because they knew people would get a chance to use it while pushing out updates like today. We wouldn't look at it as updates to an existing OS, but refinments to an upcoming OS that is still pretty much in beta (I know the 630 and 530 are out with WP8.1) So WP is basically showing the hand they want you to see while continuing to refine WP8.1. MSFT has already established alliences with companies specializing in home appliances controlled by Cortana, who even in beta stands toe to toe with Siri, and you can get her on any WP with the update. Like I've stated before, Apple has established a reputation for excellent products and services. It's just that you're going to have to pay a price for them, and I don't see the worth when there are other viable options out there.
    sdreamer likes this.
    06-02-2014 05:52 PM
    Couldn't have said it better... but still wish Microsoft world play a last cats and support 3rd party keyboards (not that I have any problem with the Microsoft Keyboard) Also they should integrate the WP platform even more with the Windows platform just like Apple is doing. ..
    I actually don't... Purely for aesthetic purposes.
    06-02-2014 05:52 PM
    FYI, I have been WP user since Focus days..
    I really don't get this ios hate, I think this update is probably biggest since the first iphone. sure it does not have a lot of user centric features right now, but i thinks it's all about giving devs the power to really push the use/feature set. just think about all the possibilities with Honekit, Healthkit, Notification widgets, Touch id API, etc.
    You have to also remember that Devs/Companies really will/do adopt things when Apple offers it and that in turn leads to general population.
    MS/Nokia is really in trouble in this sense, how many apps do we have that takes advantage of Wallet integration or the Live tiles or the new Sensor Core.
    06-02-2014 05:54 PM
    It's not. Skype does that.
    Lol. Not sure if you're serious. You know this implementation is tied to your phone number, right?
    06-02-2014 05:56 PM
    Beats is just a marketable name. Their audio is over priced mid grade.
    Partially true. What you are dead on with is Beats being a marketable name. This is what Apple does probably better than most. Marketing.
    tgp and Tony_Offends_U like this.
    06-02-2014 06:04 PM
    There's no question, these iOS and OS X updates are significant and substantial. Anyone looking at technology from an objective point of view has to admit this.

Whether they are truly innovative is another question.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    A895 and Ivin Laney like this.
    06-02-2014 06:04 PM
    Dude, I know that feeling. .. you these features won't look do great in reality. ..had to learn this the hard way -_-
    What makes you think apple won't deliver?
    A895 likes this.
    06-02-2014 06:17 PM
    Maybe you guys impressed because it's new for apple but the new IOS isn't cutting it to me. At the end of the day IOS 8 pretty much fixed a few of the many things previous IOS versions got wrong and added gimmick features to compensate for the ones it didn't.
    06-02-2014 06:50 PM
    I think iOS8 looks very good. There are so many features in iOS that are lacking in Windows Phone. I am a diehard MS user (surface, win8, wp8.1 lumia 1020 etc etc), but if Apple releases a larger screened iPhone I will have to consider it. I wish I didn't have to type that last sentence but Windows Phone is struggling to keep up.
    mrzees likes this.
    06-02-2014 07:04 PM
    What makes you think apple won't deliver?
    To keep it short, experience... my parents refuse to get anything other than iMacs(this I'm sure I'm gonna have a go on OS X Yosemite)... This is totally my opinion but most of the time the Apple stuff is never as good as you see it on the website or adverts and WWDC... BTW I'm totally open to your opinion :)
    06-02-2014 07:10 PM
    iOS (Apple) is going to gain more functions But Loosing its Simplicity
    new features are great, but cost loosing its minimal Design (for example: multitasking favorite contacts)
    I saw many great features and also saw sacrificing unique minimal design
    But as I said in the other thread I will purchase it
    06-02-2014 07:13 PM
    Personally I think iOS 8 isn't much of a step forward as WP's 8.1 upgrade...I think the best new feature is the 3rd party keyboards support ( REALLY wish Microsoft world flip it's last card and add support for 3rd party keyboards)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    06-02-2014 07:14 PM
    Attending a phone call from an iPhone on your Mac. Do that with your Windows Phone/Windows 8.1.
    Project My Screen?

anyway, I'm not interested in this thing that runs on a way overpriced stuff which a lot of people worship
    but yeah, it's a big slap to Microsoft... they need to speed up!
    06-02-2014 07:34 PM
    Wow... I think WPCentral is actually much worse than iMore... And I'm a WP fan.
    Ivin Laney, Jack Janik and A895 like this.
    06-02-2014 08:26 PM
    Wow... I think WPCentral is actually much worse than iMore... And I'm a WP fan.
    Haha were you expecting us to like it more than iMore readers?
    BobLobIaw and neo158 like this.
    06-02-2014 08:42 PM
423 12345 ...