Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I can't understand why anyone here would say this isn't a huge update. We should be happy about this because this will force MS to push updates and features faster, and with the new leadership I hope there is a new attitude.
But yeah, Apple did work.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Project My Screen?

anyway, I'm not interested in this thing that runs on a way overpriced stuff which a lot of people worship
but yeah, it's a big slap to Microsoft... they need to speed up!

You cannot be serious...
Did you even watch the keynote? Show me how you can start a document in windows then get up and be prompted to continue it on your tablet. What you're talking about isn't even close to be as polished or integrated. Also, just because something doesn't fit into your life doesn't mean it's overpriced. Apple competes on the high end and nowhere else. They are actually price competitive with other premium products and sometimes even cheaper. However, don't get me started on how overpriced the accessories are though. Now that is a rip off.

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Now Siri can work with shazam for music search....that's cool but Cortana has something similar, just ask her "what's playing" and she gets the song just like shazam.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Stop fooling yourselves. From what I've picked up this is a good update for the iusers, rather than try and deny it you should be looking at why Microsoft has allowed WP to be in the uncompetitive state its in now and how they are going to pick up the pace to not only catch up but take the lead. And with updates like this and probably also from the next one from google Microsoft will have no choice but to step up or die, plain and simple.

This is exactly what Microsoft needs and its up to them to accept the challenge, instead of giving us half baked crap like gdr updates that add one or two trivial features and the useless xbox music and video apps.

Last edited:

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You cannot be serious...
Did you even watch the keynote? Show me how you can start a document in windows then get up and be prompted to continue it on your tablet. What you're talking about isn't even close to be as polished or integrated. Also, just because something doesn't fit into your life doesn't mean it's overpriced. Apple competes on the high end and nowhere else. They are actually price competitive with other premium products and sometimes even cheaper. However, don't get me started on how overpriced the accessories are though. Now that is a rip off.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually with Office 365 you can, but I agree its not as integrated....yet, a d I say that because MSFT is now beginning to understand the importance of universal apps and they are driving to connect WP, Windows, and Xbox.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow this thread is full of bitterness. iOS8 does seem to bring many cool features, but until I can have simple things like, not having to be forced into iTunes, a file browser, and so forth, I don't give a rats ***! :D

fonix232

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
My point is that it's still a great feature regardless of how many people can use it. It would be an awesome feature either way. I have Macs in my house but if I didn't it would make me want to buy one. It would also be outstanding if WP had this feature as I'm sure it would sell phones. BTW it also works between iPhones and iPad.

The thing is, that while the majority of the iPhone users use Windows on their day-to-day computers/laptops, the majority of the WP8.1 users user Windows too. Meaning it's the minority of iPhone owners who can use these features, while the majority of the WP8.1 users get to use their own.

Besides, Microsoft's integration is way deeper at the moment. Hell, even the custom accent colours are synced between computers and phones/tablets!

Actually the only thing I miss is from Skype - transferring calls. I am often on the way, always on Skype, and it's quite annoying when I have to interrupt a call, or even a group call, just to get on my computer. Now, if I could simply transfer the call between W8.1/WP8.1 devices, it would be awesome. Other than that, I'm happy with OneDrive, synced settings, etc.

iOS8 is a huge blow to Apple, by the way. They did exactly the opposite they were preaching so far (widgets are clutter, etc.), they realized they're late to the party, tried to catch up, and now everyone's laughing at them. Also, their new language? That jokingly absurd merge of Python and Javascript? C# XAML beats it any day. Hell even Qt with their QML-weirdo beat that PoS! Yes, better than Objective-C, but not better than current alternatives on the market.

Jorlon

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely hate the contacts floating on top in the multitasking view in ios 8. That feature alone will keep me off ios and I do hope that Microsoft does not copy this feature.

They won't since we can already pin contacts to our home screen which IMO is better than what they just showed in IOS 8

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The thing is, that while the majority of the iPhone users use Windows on their day-to-day computers/laptops, the majority of the WP8.1 users user Windows too. Meaning it's the minority of iPhone owners who can use these features, while the majority of the WP8.1 users get to use their own.

Besides, Microsoft's integration is way deeper at the moment. Hell, even the custom accent colours are synced between computers and phones/tablets!

Actually the only thing I miss is from Skype - transferring calls. I am often on the way, always on Skype, and it's quite annoying when I have to interrupt a call, or even a group call, just to get on my computer. Now, if I could simply transfer the call between W8.1/WP8.1 devices, it would be awesome. Other than that, I'm happy with OneDrive, synced settings, etc.

iOS8 is a huge blow to Apple, by the way. They did exactly the opposite they were preaching so far (widgets are clutter, etc.), they realized they're late to the party, tried to catch up, and now everyone's laughing at them. Also, their new language? That jokingly absurd merge of Python and Javascript? C# XAML beats it any day. Hell even Qt with their QML-weirdo beat that PoS! Yes, better than Objective-C, but not better than current alternatives on the market.

The point was that it's still a useful feature regardless of how many people get to use it. Also, how do you feel that the MS integration is superior beyond syncing of colors. What can it do better than what we saw with OSX and iOS? I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Show me how you can start a document in windows then get up and be prompted to continue it on your tablet.

I can save a word/excel document I started writing in my WP to OneDrive. On my windows laptop, I can access the OneDrive folder in Explorer and continue working on the file with Office. I guess this would be the same on a Surface as well.

I haven't seen the iOS8 implementation of this, but just wanted to say that Microsoft's system works well for me.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Today was all about Apple building the ecosystem and pretty much owning it. The funny part is the only aspect of their ecosystem they don't control is the search (currently powered by Bing). Within the next two years they will announce their own search engine, I'm convinced of that now seeing today's event.

I dunno if they will invest in a search engine.. it sounds extremely unlikely to me especially since Bing can be used "behind the scenes". They might cut a deal with MS in terms of who gets what % of the revenue from that, but I doubt they will built their own search engine.

Maybe they can buy one.. like duckduckgo ? That's the only way to enter the market at this point

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
@ivan Apple is cheaper? I have 80 dollar Windows 8.1 phone that has the same features and functionality as a 4s with IOS 8. Windows for example has a location sharing feature already and OneDrive to sync my files perfectly. Also, I could run all the games at the same speed as the 4s. The only difference is the OS and the camera is so so on my phone. I could save 200 plus when buying a Windows phone that is even in features and practically.

Typed with my Lumia 521

Brother777

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I must be missing something, because everytime Apple, Google or Microsoft upgrade their operating system I have to play with my HP Pre and TouchPad. None of them are innovating, I hope HP is getting paid handsomely by all of them, because all I see is webOS being used by all of them. It's amazing how advanced webOS was compared to Apple, Microsoft and Google. I'm a diehard Microsoft fan and I have bought into the ecosystem, because I needed something that works and not have to buy a ton of apps to make it function well.
But come on, from the multitasking to answering/replying to text messages and phone calls on the iPad/Mac, that's all webOS. HP must be either one the most brilliantly or craziest ran company in the world. If they are getting paid for all these so called new innovations, then they are brilliant. But if not, then they are a bunch idiots.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. This conference just cemented the fact that WP team moves at a really slow pace. Apple could achieve this much in a year. WP took 2 years to get WP8.1 out and it's still playing catch up. Sigh
The WP team is slow because they keep rewriting the damn OS over and over again. WP7 to WP80 was a complete rewrite. WP80 to WP81 was a significant rewrite (going from Silverlight to WinRT). If the underlying core and UI APIs are so unstable, how does anyone expect the UX SDEs (who write the visible parts of WP) to keep up with the competition. I'm surprised they ever get anything working properly.

The amount of core incompetence at MSFT these days is shocking. I never thought I'd see it happen. Where's Dave Cutler? IMHO, he's the only one at MSFT with the respect/authority to clean up the mess. Unfortunately, I suspect he's too old to care anymore...

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Lol what? The biggest thing that I hear people talking about is predictive text. PREDICTIVE TEXT. My 3 year old Android had that. Its a solid update, no doubt, but nothing very impressive.

​Exactly. It's a solid update when you compare other iOS versions but as a whole comparing iOS, Windows Phone and Android, it's nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb