The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-22-2014 10:43 PM
423 ... 56789 ...
tools
    If Apple releases a larger phone I could have a very, very difficult decision when the contract for my 920 expires in November. And I might have to hold off on that new PC purchase. Microsoft better have something compelling by end of year.
    Well if you weren't compelled by the Surface Pro 3, then I don't know what to tell you. That would be my PC purchase. As for phones, you have the 930 and the W8 being released later this year. I went from the 920 to the 1520. You might want to check that out too. The screen is amazing.
    fdruid likes this.
    06-03-2014 09:59 AM
    You have to admit though, after Steve Jobs....Apple has lost A LOT of creativity..
    fdruid likes this.
    06-03-2014 10:01 AM
    Well if you weren't compelled by the Surface Pro 3, then I don't know what to tell you. That would be my PC purchase. As for phones, you have the 930 and the W8 being released later this year. I went from the 920 to the 1520. You might want to check that out too. The screen is amazing.
    Surface 3 kills the ipad on every level. It is insane on the specs that the surfaces have and the quality they come with.
    fdruid likes this.
    06-03-2014 10:02 AM
    You have to admit though, after Steve Jobs....Apple has lost A LOT of creativity..
    Not at all. They've innovated infinitely more since he croaked. They stopped focusing on throwing in one gimmick and instead focus on improving the whole package.
    Jonnie LasVegas and A895 like this.
    06-03-2014 10:02 AM
    Not at all. Steve Jobs ushered in a new age of devices. You're not going to have a new device type made every year. They have continually improved their product to keep it on top (quality wise).
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 10:27 AM
    Best Windows Phone off contract is $549.
    Phone with same memory except non-expandable from Apple? $749
    Moving goal posts.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    06-03-2014 10:30 AM
    Interesting, since I have a few friends with iPhones, and when they come to my place, they always ask me to charge their phones from my laptop. Their phones were NEVER recognized and they never even started charging unless I grabbed iTunes and installed it. So your statement pretty much fails there.
    I don't know about the activation, but I do remember a friend of mine getting a 5c just a few weeks back. I went with him to the store, the first thing that damned phone demanded was to get connected to iTunes (by the way, fresh out of the box, first time turned on device we're speaking about).

And again, this integration can go s*ck d*ck as long as you only have one iDevice. Apple took a 180 degree turn on their way of doing things, the platform is not simple any more, and I can assure you there will be more and more clutter on the way.

Why is it so hard to accept that Apple was late to the game, finally realized that they need to do what others been doing for years, and as soon as they tout it as "their" innovation, people would die to protect this lie?

Android was never about integration. It works well in the Google ecosystem, but can import your information from various other platforms too (Facebook, Firefox Account, Microsoft, and if I recall right there was even an iAccount adapter too). It goes low-level (MTP was only generalized with the spread of the unified internal storage), and supports any OS it's connected to, to an extent. The nice thing is that it can be easily expanded so it works with a companion app. Crude method, but works.

Windows Phone integrates into Windows a lot better. Using a custom MTP driver, you can easily access your storage, but MS would prefer if you used the cloud (can't blame them for that tho). Its syncing might not give the same level comfort as continuity, but it is rid of any of that systems stupidity (e.g. you get off from your computer to take a call, and bam it opens the document you were editing, while you did not need that). Both systems have their pros and cons, and sincerely, I am more used to MS's way, and I think it is more comfortable than continuity. And this comes from a guy who did the Metro transition easily (so I'm open to changes that MAKE SENSE).

I'm not against them because they make people's lives easier. I'm against them because they tout their "innovation" which is 90% copy of other platforms already existing features, 5% slapping the i to the beginning, and 5% work on making it fit.

It is indeed not the same, and I have to disagree, MS does it better. As I said before, while almost all WP users day-to-day computer runs Windows (hence, almost all WP user can enjoy the syncing, etcetera), only a minority of the iDevice users have another iDevice (let it be a computer, tablet, phone, whatever.). And you have to accept this. Just by being here on the forums, you represent the minority of the Apple users who know more than 5% of their phones' features, and use it. I'm happy that you can use continuity, be happy with it - but stop praising it as it was the first and best solution ever, for all. It might be the best for you, but again, the MAJORITY of the iDevice users will NEVER use it. Or use it once or twice, just like Siri.

There was a time when Apple was innovative, spitting newer and better products at the market. But that time is long gone, and now they're trying to lessen the gap of features between iOS and other mobile platforms. Yes, iOS8 is a big change from 7, I agree on that. It brings great features that the platform missed for some time. But comparing it to e.g. Android, you'll see that almost all the features have been at the core of Android for the past few years.

It also does not help on the image that the first thing they did during WWDC was to bash on Android. It's basically saying "my neighbour has such ****ty taste with all the garden decorations, they suck. But hey, I just bought and set up lots of the almost same decoration!".

The problem here is that Apple is contradicting itself on multiple levels. Once their motto was "keep it simple, stupid". Now it's not true any more, because they brought in the features that make other platforms complex. Also, their unofficial motto has been for some time "Be different" (or "Think different", can't remember exactly). How is it being different if you're copying 90% of your new features from others?
    All you're bringing to the conversation is anecdotal evidence and ridiculous generalizations. You dont need itunes for anything anymore and havent for years. You haven't showed me why WP+W8.1 is better than OSX+iOS. You just keep saying Windows does X or Windows does Y while pulling percentages out of thin air to support your claims. You havent said anything about a Windows version of what Apple presented yesterday because it DOES NOT EXSIT.A quote from WMPowerUser " Microsoft is completely absent in this department. Given the fact that both its mobile and desktop OS shares same core, I expected this continuity feature on Windows before iOS/Mac. Kudos to Apple for waking up Microsoft, I hope Microsoft does this continuity thing."
    Have a source that 90% of the features are from competitors? How about only 5% of iOS users don't know how to use the feature in there devices? Your bias is showing.
    Last edited by Ivin Laney; 06-03-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    twint7787, A895, dgr_874 and 1 others like this.
    06-03-2014 10:35 AM
    You just keep saying Windows does X or Windows does Y while pulling percentages out of thin air to support your claims. You havent said anything about ta Windows version of what Apple presented yesterday because it DOES NOT EXSIT A quote from WMPowerUser " Microsoft is completely absent in this department. Given the fact that both its mobile and desktop OS shares same core, I expected this continuity feature on Windows before iOS/Mac. Your bias is showing.
    Alllllllll of this
    06-03-2014 10:39 AM
    Well I see Apple gaining,and it's not all about the numbers.

Do we all drive the same car?

People moan because Apple uses from others,big deal. Which works best for you?

How long has this been done in the world? There really isn't a lot of this that is that is truly brand new.

You have to compare the whole ecosystem of each and decide which is better for you. Which one supports you best,which one takes care of your issues best,which one can you recoup most from if leaving,how invested are you with each.Which integrates with the other is using both or multiple platforms.

A lot of this isn't the initial cost but of trading in for many people today. If only dealing with low end devices, Apple certainly isn't trying to get you to switch,but,if you can afford higher end devices like a iPhone then come time to upgrade the cost is well offset by their long term value.

No 1 manufacturer is perfect for everyone. We all have different needs wants and desires along with different values we place on importance's.

Mac
    A895 and Orange Cat like this.
    06-03-2014 10:40 AM
    Maybe everything is fine but I just don't understand the purpose of the contacts floating in the multitasking view. Why there? It is pointless and weird.
    06-03-2014 11:00 AM
    I don't like all iOS 8, and don't think some things are revolutionary, like the keyboard, however, Microsoft copied off others. You guys should all know, sometimes we need to get ideas from others. Someone once said "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

And they did announce things that we don't have. I'm sure all of you will be begging for these features from Microsoft, am I right?
    A895, Ivin Laney and SwimSwim like this.
    06-03-2014 11:06 AM
    I just watched the presentation for IOS 8. Those that believe that IOS 8 brings nothing to the table are not being truthful. IOS 8 brings tons. More than I've ever seen in any other package and this package will be a FREE upgrade. Google I/O is a joke by comparison.
    The worst part about Google is that only about 20-25% (if not lesser) phones get the Android updates. There is much lesser support for Android devices compared to Windows or iOS devices.
    06-03-2014 11:07 AM
    Maybe everything is fine but I just don't understand the purpose of the contacts floating in the multitasking view. Why there? It is pointless and weird.
    Quick access to contacts that is out of the way but still accessible anywhere.

06-03-2014 11:08 AM
    But, like clockwork, they roll out once a year, and about 90% of apples mobile device users get the latest and greatest IOS should they choose to install it. Nice.
    The answer to actionable notifications is actionable live tiles. This is something that should have shipped with W7 when the OS was launched. The fact that we don't have it yet -- and that it may never be coming -- is really just pathetic.

MS, you are behind and falling further and futher behind. WP8.1 is not really an "upgrade" with all the features you've removed, but once again a lateral move. Try just adding features, and doing it faster. The best way to get more features faster is to open up your OS to 3rd party developers. Custom keyboards (now in iOS), alternative browsers, start screen skins, etc., are all a must.
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:11 AM
    The answer to actionable notifications is actionable live tiles. This is something that should have shipped with W7 when the OS was launched. The fact that we don't have it yet -- and that it may never be coming -- is really just pathetic.

MS, you are behind and falling further and futher behind. WP8.1 is not really an "upgrade" with all the features you've removed, but once again a lateral move. Try just adding features, and doing it faster. The best way to get more features faster is to open up your OS to 3rd party developers. Custom keyboards (now in iOS), alternative browsers, start screen skins, etc., are all a must.
    We need actionable live tiles for WP, yes (it was demoed for W8, idk when it will come), but actionable notifications would be nice as well. I think Android has something a bit similar.

Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 11:18 AM
    Moving goal posts.

Howso?
    06-03-2014 11:30 AM
    Howso?
    You changed the parameters of the comparison.

06-03-2014 11:33 AM
    I am watching WWDC 2014 live and I must say, I really expected Apple to pull a bigger refresh... same with OS X Yosemite... please share your ideas :)
    They ripped off the whole iCloud Drive integration from OneDrive in Windows 8. Obviously it means that MS is doing the right thing, heh. But it shows how Apple have lost any ability to innovate, and are just playing catch-up.

If the rumours are true and they put out bigger iPhones, they'll be doing the same with hardware.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    06-03-2014 12:21 PM
    Since everyone is so readily impressed by apple ability to produce nothing of real usefulness lets talk about all the features apple users want that aren't present in IOS 8. Idrive is an interesting concept but useless if the stupid phone doesn't even have a file manager anyway. Clearly it's a way to force people into the Idrive. iTunes has not been updated and iPhones biggest crutch is having to buy a Mac to get somewhat of a decent iTunes experience. And since you're still forced to use iTunes you're locked in further. Answering phone calls on a Mac is a Mac feature not an iPhone feature. And one again this requires you buy more apple products. Same with imessage, group text had to be the most annoying feature on iPhone. Fixing it only for other iPhone users does not make me want an iPhone. It makes me less likely to get one. Siri update is weak. Siri still can't do half of what Cortana does. Apple completely drop the ball when it comes to Siri. Actionable notifications is cool but it's far from this mesmerizing feature you guys are making it out to be. Most IOS 8 features are fixes not game changers. Imessage was terrible and now it's better but it's far from revolutionary. Keyboard is better but not revolutionary. IOS 8 is better than IOS 7 but marginally.
    fdruid and Karthik Naik like this.
    06-03-2014 12:25 PM
    But, like clockwork, they roll out once a year, and about 90% of apples mobile device users get the latest and greatest IOS should they choose to install it. Nice.
    I feel like there's not a lot of option with IOS updates. If you don't install them your device will become obsolete. I know that iPhone users are wealthy and change their phones each year, but if they don't, they are left behind. More so than with any other platform.

Their updates are free and big, sure, but they are also are pretty much mandatory. It's their philosophy in everything: it's their way or your loss, like it or leave.

That's one of the many things I don't like about Apple and their devices.
    06-03-2014 12:26 PM
    Best Windows Phone off contract is $549.
    Phone with same memory except non-expandable from Apple? $749
    Don't you realize that in bizarro world you're supposed to compare the cost of the 32GB WP with the cost of the 16GB iPhone models?
    06-03-2014 12:38 PM
    Many of the new features are a copy of 3 party apps/other OS (swiftkey, mic option in message, ability to send video and voice messages,...)
    Who cares, it's consumers who benefit from OEMs 'copying' each other. I'd gladly use an OS that copies all the greatest features from current systems, why not? As a user, I want all the features in one package, I'm not going to purchase 3 different devices because they offer different features. Someone designs a feature, another one copies it and improves it, third one improves it even further, first and second one implement the latest improvements. It's a win for users. It's not like WP8.1 is 100% original ideas. There's even an article on Pocketnow, how webOS had all these things, that are being presented as new in new systems, already implemented.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about mic option in message, I much rather use the new flow keyboard. If I want to talk, I'll just call. Video and voice messages are being presented as a revolution, like everything Apple presents, yet I find very little use for them. I only find it weird that this wasn't available before.
    06-03-2014 12:45 PM
    Since everyone is so readily impressed by apple ability to produce nothing of real usefulness lets talk about all the features apple users want that aren't present in IOS 8. Idrive is an interesting concept but useless if the stupid phone doesn't even have a file manager anyway. Clearly it's a way to force people into the Idrive. iTunes has not been updated and iPhones biggest crutch is having to buy a Mac to get somewhat of a decent iTunes experience. And since you're still forced to use iTunes you're locked in further. Answering phone calls on a Mac is a Mac feature not an iPhone feature. And one again this requires you buy more apple products. Same with imessage, group text had to be the most annoying feature on iPhone. Fixing it only for other iPhone users does not make me want an iPhone. It makes me less likely to get one. Siri update is weak. Siri still can't do half of what Cortana does. Apple completely drop the ball when it comes to Siri. Actionable notifications is cool but it's far from this mesmerizing feature you guys are making it out to be. Most IOS 8 features are fixes not game changers. Imessage was terrible and now it's better but it's far from revolutionary. Keyboard is better but not revolutionary. IOS 8 is better than IOS 7 but marginally.
    I think you're conveniently dismissing the improvements made to their ecosystems. An apple product works well with other apple products. Quite frankly they work better than other products because they control software and hardware. Regardless, Apple is providing their users with new features (yes others OS's have them) that will work across any of their devices. SMS integration? Android has that only if you use hangouts, otherwise no one has it and Apple will most likely make it a more reliable experience. Taking calls with your macbook? I mean I think you're being a bit dismissive because you have some ill will towards Apple. In all honesty I want a cohesive experience between devices and Apple just laid their offering out there, and it looks the best. Microsoft isn't there yet and Android is android regardless of device (not arguing the usability of their devices). And how can you dismiss actionable notifications, seriously? If WP had it you would probably tout how Innovative MS is. But because apple did it.....meh. C'mon man.
    06-03-2014 12:51 PM
    ios 8 = ios 7 + health stuff and some minor stuff which android, wp , BB have enjoyed since atleast 2 years but were waiting for apple to invent the new features and be called revolutionary
    i dont see any reason why ios 8 is even called the next version of ios, it doesnt have any new features as such and might as well have been an updated ios 7.1.x or something instead of 8
    every other mobile os gets major changes every update(wp,android,BB10 and even the aging and old- BBos and symbian)
    ios on the other hand has gone the other way after ios 7, design is kiddish and unoriginal-they should have given an option of themes and fonts instead , even wp has more customisation in that aspect(dark and white background,wallpaper,colour schemes etc)
    ios is a great os no doubt,dont get me wrong, but ios 7 and 8 are real letdowns for an apple lover like me, i love my idevices but only one of my ipads is on ,7 others are jailbroken on 6.1.3 and 6.1.2
    wp8.1 has already gotten soo much criticism and hate for a few things despite bringing alot of new things to the table if not late but ios 8 ,despite not getting any major updates is still not scrutinized

ps- taking calls with a mac etc have been inbuilt-features for windows and windows phone as well, just try pairing wp8.1 to windows 8/8.1 and see, you can even make calls etc from there
    06-03-2014 12:52 PM
    It's there for people who use their phones to communicate with other people a lot. Remember that you can't pint your contacts to start on iOS, so before this shortcut, calling someone quickly required going to Contacts first.
    Oh, I noticed there were options for contacts shortcuts, but creating then was less then convenient.
    And that space was empty before, now they filled it up with content, not so pointless from my point of view.
    Karthik Naik and A895 like this.
    06-03-2014 12:53 PM
423 ... 56789 ...