Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree. iOS 8 is a pretty massive update, now that Apple is done with redesigning all the OS elements and being able to focus on the OS core and features themselves. iOS 8 is indeed huge.

However, I also don't think it's as damning as some would like to make it out to be. Many of the new features I've seen launched "steal" (I use that word tentatively, because innovation is all about stealing from those before and improving upon it) WP8/8.1 features. This means that, in many regards, iOS 8 is being forced to play catch-up. (I.E: Swype keyboard [Which we kinda stole from Android third-party keyboard makers], the ability to more easily attach your location, voice messages, etc., in iMessage, Improved Spotlight Search + Siri Integration, deeper OS level Share Pages and other functionality, iCloud Drive, etc..)

Yes, iOS 8 is a bit ahead of us in several regards now. Only a fool would deny this. But I reiterate that this isn't the end of WP. Several headline grabbing features, such as actionable notifications, were in early builds of WP8.1, and some (again, citing actionable notifications) made it as far as the 8.1 SDK-Preview before 8.1 was officially announced at BUILD. They were almost-ready, but had to be cut at the last minute due to time constraints. Unfortunate, yes, but just like the FM Radio app with WP8: It seems entirely possible these features that were close-but-didn't-quite-make-it could be released with a future GDR update. Definitely by April 2015's "Threshold" update.

So yes, iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 do indeed introduce some incredible new features, and are in many ways ahead of Windows and Windows Phone 8.1 (especially the whole answer phone calls and text messages on OSX, which it was much rumored Microsoft would be the first to do this). So yeah, they are ahead, but my friends: this isn't the end. We aren't nearly as desperately behind as we once were, and the morale in Redmond is the highest it's been in years. So I have faith that this new, overly exaggerated feature gap, won't last for long at all.

So let's not run around like a bunch of headless chickens just yet. What Apple has announced today isn't really damning at all, considering that were aren't extremely far behind, and of course the fact that Apple and Microsoft compete in very different markets with very different strategies. So lets all take a chill pill, read a book, ride a bike, swim a couple laps, run a marathon, pet a cat, kiss a girl, provide tech support for Grandma, edit some photos, plant a tree, etc. etc.: And not flip out over something that just isn't worth flipping out over.

[/Essay]

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
The point was that it's still a useful feature regardless of how many people get to use it. Also, how do you feel that the MS integration is superior beyond syncing of colors. What can it do better than what we saw with OSX and iOS? I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Did you watch build?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I just watched the presentation for IOS 8. Those that believe that IOS 8 brings nothing to the table are not being truthful. IOS 8 brings tons. More than I've ever seen in any other package and this package will be a FREE upgrade. Google I/O is a joke by comparison.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For the person wondering about integration on MS devices. I can start a document on one and then go use/add to it on another. My IE tabs and favorites are synced. Reading list is synced. I can start a game on my phone and complete it on my laptop.
I have a calendar, photos, and documents shared with someone else with little setup and we both get notifications when something changes.

The most impressive thing to me about wwdc was Apples ability to get so much corporate support for their locked in APIs

dub_win

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
There was nothing really innovative about the ios8 update. Most people here yapping about ios being so awesome go do your research. I suggest you read this [bit.ly/1iNXyDD].

Also, people crying about Microsoft not releasing updates every morning. I did suggest you please stop whining and support the windows phone ecosystem.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The point was that it's still a useful feature regardless of how many people get to use it. Also, how do you feel that the MS integration is superior beyond syncing of colors. What can it do better than what we saw with OSX and iOS? I'm curious to hear your opinion.
IE11 tab sync. app settings sync. password sync. universal apps. Office online. onedrive. onenote instant sync. Cortana sync interests. the grouping(linking) and syncing of all contacts across all services and devices.
that last one alone blows apple out of the water.

the call transfer from phone to desktop seems useful on the surface but most won't use it often if at all because to talk on a Mac, speaker phone is pretty much required and most people rather be speaking on a real phone (it has speakerphone as well) and not use speakerphone. In fact I see little usage scenario for this.
I admit texting on computer is pretty nice since you can use a real keyboard, but this is only useful for the text heavies who also happens to own a Mac.
Also realize that the mobile-desktop integration is very limited because Mac OS is at like 7.38% while Windows 8+8.1 is at 12.64% so neither got enough users for this features to be fully exploited.

On the bright side, Google got 0 integration between Android and Chrome OS so we're miles ahead of them :)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Word flow is a copy of Swype. Cortana isn't an original idea either. Action center, notification center....I can go on and on

You are absolutely right. Almost everything new in ios8 comes from Android or first appeared on the Android platform. It's the same for updates to Windows Phone.

It's very clear where the innovation now happens.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I got to disagree with the thread title. I was impress by the iOS8 update. Is it safe to say that Apple is back, LoL at anybody being hype for Google I/O. IPhone 6 & IPhablet >>>> any Android that has or will come out this year. I still love WP & consider it me favorite mobile OS, but I got to give props to Apple.

ABsmoove

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I would usually joke about how Apple took features from Android and Windows Phone. But, honestly, when any OS does that, it just makes consumers feel more comfortable switching. Apple made iOS look a lot more attractive, but just off features. They need to get rid of the grid home screen and make something fresh. Apple hasn't changed the home screen since the VERY beginning.

Now with that being said, I have to say that Apple has definitely kept an eye out for Android and Windows Phone's features. It kills and really annoys me that when Apple plays catch up (which they do a lot; it looks like they let other OSs be the guinea pig and see how consumers respond), barely anybody mentions it. But, when WP gets a feature late, people suck their teeth at WP (*looks at CNET*).

"Hey Siri" (Hands-free use) started with the Moto X (Android)
The deepness of Spotlight (That has Bing/Windows Search all over it)
Predictive Texting (What the hell took so long?; The fact that iOS 8 can anticipate a user's reply to another person's text is really cool btw)
The new Group Texting (features taken from Groups on WP 8)
Quickly adding voice to texts and sending video messages (Is it that much better then sending a voice memo or recording a short video?)
The broader "bird's-eye view" of Safari has Google Chrome all over it
Shazam with Siri (Hmmm, Cortana can identify music too w/o Shazam)
One Drive is much more comprehensive then iCould Drive. That's all I have to say.

Now, Apple sent Microsoft a message today. MS needs to update OSs faster. Also, Windows Phone needs to "borrow", "take", or straight up "steal" and most importantly IMPROVE features from other OSs. Doing that just makes consumers feel more comfortable about switching to Windows Phone, which is what we ultimately want! More people on WP!

3rd party keyboards would be nice.
SMS texting on Windows 8 syncing to Windows Phone (PLEASE MICROSOFT!)
Purchasing stuff from the Store with Cortana
Wi-Fi calling (Once again, PLEASE!)
Interactive Notifications (That's awesome. I want this. Some Androids can reply directly from the notifications bar, but not exactly the same)
Continuity with Mac (Microsoft needs to add a continuity feature for Windows and WP. For now, saving to Onedrive is cool
Only iOS lets users select multiple photos & share them in 1 text. Try that on WP, other options will appear, but not messaging. C'mon MS.

I must say this. Since APPS are what really make a smartphone a "smart" phone, more advanced apps MUST come to WP to become on par with iOS and Android apps. You guys know the ones: Facebook, GroupMe (owned by MS and is the worst across all OSs, SMH), YouTube (Middle finger to Google, I have the MS made one on my 920), and, of course, Instagram (F them. There's no excuse to have our app still in beta. Don't give me that "They should update when WP 8.1 officaly releases". The beta was released Oct 22, 2013, it's June 2014. Still in beta. That is freaking embarrassing. Tired of giving somebody my phone and people commenting on my Instagram Beta. My dad says they're trying to keep out Microsoft cause you know what happens when MS gets big in an area. They take over).

Finally, I wanna give some shououts:

S/O to Twitter, Vine, Beats Music (I know), and the other developers for having their apps on WP as good as the apps on Android and iOS.

And S/O to all the iPhone 4 users with cracked phones who ignorantly claim iOS is the best with barely any or crappy arguments. iOS 8 won't come to iPhone 4. Go cry in a corner.

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I got to disagree with the thread title. I was impress by the iOS8 update. Is it safe to say that Apple is back, LoL at anybody being hype for Google I/O. IPhone 6 & IPhablet >>>> any Android that has or will come out this year. I still love WP & consider it me favorite mobile OS, but I got to give props to Apple.

Same here... I've still got a iPhone 5, iPod Touch 4, and Apple TV. I love Windows Phone, but I'll be damned if I don't at least use some iOS 8 features in tandem with my MBP when Yosemite comes out.

shauntipson

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It as some good feature
In notification the ability to text in the notification and third party widget
I like windows 8.1 brought a lot of features that were already available on other os
But they always seem a step behind
It need something to make it stand out from the crowd
Yes Cortana is ok but not ground breaking

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
All three of them stopped being innovative a LONG time ago. Now they just recycle each other's ideas.

Android tries to look like iOS.

iOS tries to look like Windows Phone.

Windows Phone takes Siri from iOS and Notifications from Android, also the entire online office suite.

iOS takes the notion of auto-backup from Google and Microsoft. Disappoints everybody. They are now fixing it.

Android starts getting features VERY similar to Battery Saver on Windows Phone.

iOS steals widgets from Android.

--

To quote Die Antwoord: "It's like one big inbred ****-fest."

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
The way the event came off to me was that iPhone is a great device if every machine you own is made by Apple. Seeing that I use an HTC 8X, Surface Pro 2 (soon to be 3!), Samsung Galaxy S4, and Nexus 7... I'm not exactly their target market.

Five years ago, as an Apple user, I would have passed out.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Apple was far better when steve jobs was there now apple mostly try to make money out of their devices. And as tapehead said its true now there is innovation in any of the OS. They just copy each other ideas.
Apple just launched iphone 5C 8gb version in India for ₹38000(i.e $600) same as the price tag of lumia 1520 and Samsung galaxy S5.In india still people go for apple cause its an iphone it will make them feel look rich(they think this way)

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Very happy they took great features from all OS's meaning key priority is their customers .. give them whats best in business. It doesn't matter if you cant reinvent the wheel but atleast your not missing anything.

Now WP team needs to stop being 1980's company and been smart and provide features in quick fasion.. Notification centre cant really take 2 years to bring to public so yeh .. it took apple 1 year to bring all these new features.. WP / Joe B team has no excuse :)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05