Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange Cat

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Where is all mobile platforms headed..........Integration...........

It's been the dream of Microsoft to have this across all platforms,and Apple is going to beat them at their own game. They will catch up,but,the damage is done.

Agreed. Rather than merge the code of two OS's, Apple is setting up the desktop to reach into everything the phone can do. Ultimately, it may not be as robust as Threshold, but Apple is getting phase 1 out this year, whereas Threshold will be released to consumers (most likely) in Fall 2015. At that point, Apple will have iOS 9, aka phase 2, available.

I have a Nokia Icon with WP 8.1. I was impressed by what Apple showed today. I am also a little down, like many people here, that several aspects of iOS 8 are better than what WP offers. This isn't a war, I'm not interested in seeing iPhones wiped from the face of the Earth, but I'd sure feel more comfortable if my ecosystem could get up to, say, 10% marketshare in the US (where I live).

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
This. The Lumia Icon and Ativ SE are also up there off contract price wise. Saying an iPhone is expensive is hypocrisy when the best WPs are in the same price range.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Best Windows Phone off contract is $549.
Phone with same memory except non-expandable from Apple? $749

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...
You do not need to install iTunes to charge iDevices. Also you don't need a computer to activate an iPhone and haven't for years (Since the iPhone 4 in 2010 i believe). Those 2 things are simply not true. This integration also works from iPhone to iPad and there are 200 million of those out there.

I don't understand why you guys are so against Apple for doing something that makes peoples lives easier just because it may not make your life any easier. I love WP too but I'm not going to sit here and act like MS has the better implementation when they have NOTHING at the system level that competes with Apple's "continuity" in it's current form. Everyone keeps throwing around comparisions that are not even the same thing. WP+W8.1 does not have the same integration as OSX+iOS. It's a fact so let it go and hope MS copies it in the next release.

Not everyone posting in this forum has an abhorrence for Apple. I think at least for me the underlying tone is there wasn't anything released at the WWDC conference that was revolutionary as I was expecting seeing how quiet Apple had been leading up to it. Usually they're pretty straight forward with what you can expect to see in advance of the unvieling. Again, I have nothing but respect for Apple and the products they produce, however what was announced that drops the bottom out of what MSFT products provide. I will admit that in some aspects it presents a more seemless transfer between devices, but ultimately that is a feature that I can and have utilized on my 1520 and Asus T100. I've started documents on my tablet and have edited them on my phone. As long as I have all my documents auto saved to One drive, I can access them on any device. Even Xbox. As for texting on a tablet...that has a place and I agree it's innovative, but if I'm texting, I would suspect that by mere human habit, most would be inclined to use their phones. If I'm ever in a situation where I have my phone and my tablet with me, I'm more liable to do phone centric functions on my phone, like texting. As to your scenerio as hypothetical as that sounds, it would satisfy that need. Of course the part about being attached to a wall would be negateted if Apple adopted wireless charging with their iphones, which is something I would have already expected. All in all some innovations expanded on ones that already existed, while others were finally implemented, that had been experienced on other ecosystems. It's clear that Apple, at least in this last WWDC isn't trying to take people away from Andriod or Windows Phone, but more or less trying to keep the base they already have content, which metrics would indicate, is where their focus should be, because they are loosing market share, and are predicted to continue to loose it. If I was an avid iOS user and OSX user, I'd be rather content with the presentation. At the same time, I don't think it was a knock out blow to Andriod or WP. The bigger question isn't so much the ecosystem, but the devices that it will run on and its presentation. Lets face it, we live in an optic society. We assess with our eyes first, and many will wait to see what the iPhone6 has to offer.

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Well said. Looking at the new features of iOS8 objectively and considering the rate at which features arrive on WP8 *regardless of 3 OTA updates per General update; I have to also admit that if the new iPhone 8 has a bigger screen (i.e. above 4.5) I'm going for it.
NB I've had a WP Lumia 710, 800, 920 and 1020 and am using WP8.1

On second thought, I'm so cortana rocks and so does onedrive integration. Hmmm maybe I should wait for MSFT/Nokia's next major handset offerings.

Orange Cat

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll stick my head out here and say the family sharing of apps is a first. One person in the family can buy an app and share it with five other people? No other app store is allowing licenses to be shared like that.

fonix232

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Sigh...
You do not need to install iTunes to charge iDevices. Also you don't need a computer to activate an iPhone and haven't for years (Since the iPhone 4 in 2010 i believe). Those 2 things are simply not true. This integration also works from iPhone to iPad and there are 200 million of those out there.

Interesting, since I have a few friends with iPhones, and when they come to my place, they always ask me to charge their phones from my laptop. Their phones were NEVER recognized and they never even started charging unless I grabbed iTunes and installed it. So your statement pretty much fails there.
I don't know about the activation, but I do remember a friend of mine getting a 5c just a few weeks back. I went with him to the store, the first thing that damned phone demanded was to get connected to iTunes (by the way, fresh out of the box, first time turned on device we're speaking about).

And again, this integration can go s*ck d*ck as long as you only have one iDevice. Apple took a 180 degree turn on their way of doing things, the platform is not simple any more, and I can assure you there will be more and more clutter on the way.

Why is it so hard to accept that Apple was late to the game, finally realized that they need to do what others been doing for years, and as soon as they tout it as "their" innovation, people would die to protect this lie?

Android was never about integration. It works well in the Google ecosystem, but can import your information from various other platforms too (Facebook, Firefox Account, Microsoft, and if I recall right there was even an iAccount adapter too). It goes low-level (MTP was only generalized with the spread of the unified internal storage), and supports any OS it's connected to, to an extent. The nice thing is that it can be easily expanded so it works with a companion app. Crude method, but works.

Windows Phone integrates into Windows a lot better. Using a custom MTP driver, you can easily access your storage, but MS would prefer if you used the cloud (can't blame them for that tho). Its syncing might not give the same level comfort as continuity, but it is rid of any of that systems stupidity (e.g. you get off from your computer to take a call, and bam it opens the document you were editing, while you did not need that). Both systems have their pros and cons, and sincerely, I am more used to MS's way, and I think it is more comfortable than continuity. And this comes from a guy who did the Metro transition easily (so I'm open to changes that MAKE SENSE).

I don't understand why you guys are so against Apple for doing something that makes peoples lives easier just because it may not make your life any easier. I love WP too but I'm not going to sit here and act like MS has the better implementation when they have NOTHING at the system level that competes with Apple's "continuity" in it's current form. Everyone keeps throwing around comparisions that are not even the same thing. WP+W8.1 does not have the same integration as OSX+iOS. It's a fact so let it go and hope MS copies it in the next release.

I'm not against them because they make people's lives easier. I'm against them because they tout their "innovation" which is 90% copy of other platforms already existing features, 5% slapping the i to the beginning, and 5% work on making it fit.

It is indeed not the same, and I have to disagree, MS does it better. As I said before, while almost all WP users day-to-day computer runs Windows (hence, almost all WP user can enjoy the syncing, etcetera), only a minority of the iDevice users have another iDevice (let it be a computer, tablet, phone, whatever.). And you have to accept this. Just by being here on the forums, you represent the minority of the Apple users who know more than 5% of their phones' features, and use it. I'm happy that you can use continuity, be happy with it - but stop praising it as it was the first and best solution ever, for all. It might be the best for you, but again, the MAJORITY of the iDevice users will NEVER use it. Or use it once or twice, just like Siri.

There was a time when Apple was innovative, spitting newer and better products at the market. But that time is long gone, and now they're trying to lessen the gap of features between iOS and other mobile platforms. Yes, iOS8 is a big change from 7, I agree on that. It brings great features that the platform missed for some time. But comparing it to e.g. Android, you'll see that almost all the features have been at the core of Android for the past few years.

It also does not help on the image that the first thing they did during WWDC was to bash on Android. It's basically saying "my neighbour has such ****ty taste with all the garden decorations, they suck. But hey, I just bought and set up lots of the almost same decoration!".

The problem here is that Apple is contradicting itself on multiple levels. Once their motto was "keep it simple, stupid". Now it's not true any more, because they brought in the features that make other platforms complex. Also, their unofficial motto has been for some time "Be different" (or "Think different", can't remember exactly). How is it being different if you're copying 90% of your new features from others?

PxuLL

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
No one would expect wpcentral fans to love it neither will Android fans. So I don't see how your disappointed.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
How is any of that the same thing Apple showed? Most of the things you listed are already being done in OSX (Safari Tab Sync, Keychain Password Sync, iWork in iCloud, Contacts sync accross platforms too). You saying most people won't use it is a stretch since you can't possible know that. It's not just about taking calls and texts. Its about the seemless handoff which MS does not have. It's about me sitting at my iMac typing a email, getting up and instantly finishing where I left off on my iPad or iPhone. It's about sitting on the couch with my iPad while my phone is charging and texting with it instead of being tethered to a wall. Just that to me is beyond useful. I think everyone is also forgeting that this also works on the iPad with the iPhone. There are 100s of millions of iPads out there. In fact more than any single other tablet. So theres that.
I'm saying that if I wanted a phone with the same specs and I'm under a budget, I would get the lumia 521 and I did.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If Apple releases a larger phone I could have a very, very difficult decision when the contract for my 920 expires in November. And I might have to hold off on that new PC purchase. Microsoft better have something compelling by end of year.

Well if you weren't compelled by the Surface Pro 3, then I don't know what to tell you. That would be my PC purchase. As for phones, you have the 930 and the W8 being released later this year. I went from the 920 to the 1520. You might want to check that out too. The screen is amazing.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well if you weren't compelled by the Surface Pro 3, then I don't know what to tell you. That would be my PC purchase. As for phones, you have the 930 and the W8 being released later this year. I went from the 920 to the 1520. You might want to check that out too. The screen is amazing.

Surface 3 kills the ipad on every level. It is insane on the specs that the surfaces have and the quality they come with.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, since I have a few friends with iPhones, and when they come to my place, they always ask me to charge their phones from my laptop. Their phones were NEVER recognized and they never even started charging unless I grabbed iTunes and installed it. So your statement pretty much fails there.
I don't know about the activation, but I do remember a friend of mine getting a 5c just a few weeks back. I went with him to the store, the first thing that damned phone demanded was to get connected to iTunes (by the way, fresh out of the box, first time turned on device we're speaking about).

And again, this integration can go s*ck d*ck as long as you only have one iDevice. Apple took a 180 degree turn on their way of doing things, the platform is not simple any more, and I can assure you there will be more and more clutter on the way.

Why is it so hard to accept that Apple was late to the game, finally realized that they need to do what others been doing for years, and as soon as they tout it as "their" innovation, people would die to protect this lie?

Android was never about integration. It works well in the Google ecosystem, but can import your information from various other platforms too (Facebook, Firefox Account, Microsoft, and if I recall right there was even an iAccount adapter too). It goes low-level (MTP was only generalized with the spread of the unified internal storage), and supports any OS it's connected to, to an extent. The nice thing is that it can be easily expanded so it works with a companion app. Crude method, but works.

Windows Phone integrates into Windows a lot better. Using a custom MTP driver, you can easily access your storage, but MS would prefer if you used the cloud (can't blame them for that tho). Its syncing might not give the same level comfort as continuity, but it is rid of any of that systems stupidity (e.g. you get off from your computer to take a call, and bam it opens the document you were editing, while you did not need that). Both systems have their pros and cons, and sincerely, I am more used to MS's way, and I think it is more comfortable than continuity. And this comes from a guy who did the Metro transition easily (so I'm open to changes that MAKE SENSE).

I'm not against them because they make people's lives easier. I'm against them because they tout their "innovation" which is 90% copy of other platforms already existing features, 5% slapping the i to the beginning, and 5% work on making it fit.

It is indeed not the same, and I have to disagree, MS does it better. As I said before, while almost all WP users day-to-day computer runs Windows (hence, almost all WP user can enjoy the syncing, etcetera), only a minority of the iDevice users have another iDevice (let it be a computer, tablet, phone, whatever.). And you have to accept this. Just by being here on the forums, you represent the minority of the Apple users who know more than 5% of their phones' features, and use it. I'm happy that you can use continuity, be happy with it - but stop praising it as it was the first and best solution ever, for all. It might be the best for you, but again, the MAJORITY of the iDevice users will NEVER use it. Or use it once or twice, just like Siri.

There was a time when Apple was innovative, spitting newer and better products at the market. But that time is long gone, and now they're trying to lessen the gap of features between iOS and other mobile platforms. Yes, iOS8 is a big change from 7, I agree on that. It brings great features that the platform missed for some time. But comparing it to e.g. Android, you'll see that almost all the features have been at the core of Android for the past few years.

It also does not help on the image that the first thing they did during WWDC was to bash on Android. It's basically saying "my neighbour has such ****ty taste with all the garden decorations, they suck. But hey, I just bought and set up lots of the almost same decoration!".

The problem here is that Apple is contradicting itself on multiple levels. Once their motto was "keep it simple, stupid". Now it's not true any more, because they brought in the features that make other platforms complex. Also, their unofficial motto has been for some time "Be different" (or "Think different", can't remember exactly). How is it being different if you're copying 90% of your new features from others?
All you're bringing to the conversation is anecdotal evidence and ridiculous generalizations. You dont need itunes for anything anymore and havent for years. You haven't showed me why WP+W8.1 is better than OSX+iOS. You just keep saying Windows does X or Windows does Y while pulling percentages out of thin air to support your claims. You havent said anything about a Windows version of what Apple presented yesterday because it DOES NOT EXSIT.A quote from WMPowerUser " Microsoft is completely absent in this department. Given the fact that both its mobile and desktop OS shares same core, I expected this continuity feature on Windows before iOS/Mac. Kudos to Apple for waking up Microsoft, I hope Microsoft does this continuity thing."
Have a source that 90% of the features are from competitors? How about only 5% of iOS users don't know how to use the feature in there devices? Your bias is showing.

Last edited:

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You just keep saying Windows does X or Windows does Y while pulling percentages out of thin air to support your claims. You havent said anything about ta Windows version of what Apple presented yesterday because it DOES NOT EXSIT A quote from WMPowerUser " Microsoft is completely absent in this department. Given the fact that both its mobile and desktop OS shares same core, I expected this continuity feature on Windows before iOS/Mac. Your bias is showing.
Alllllllll of this

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well I see Apple gaining,and it's not all about the numbers.

Do we all drive the same car?

People moan because Apple uses from others,big deal. Which works best for you?

How long has this been done in the world? There really isn't a lot of this that is that is truly brand new.

You have to compare the whole ecosystem of each and decide which is better for you. Which one supports you best,which one takes care of your issues best,which one can you recoup most from if leaving,how invested are you with each.Which integrates with the other is using both or multiple platforms.

A lot of this isn't the initial cost but of trading in for many people today. If only dealing with low end devices, Apple certainly isn't trying to get you to switch,but,if you can afford higher end devices like a iPhone then come time to upgrade the cost is well offset by their long term value.

No 1 manufacturer is perfect for everyone. We all have different needs wants and desires along with different values we place on importance's.

Mac

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe everything is fine but I just don't understand the purpose of the contacts floating in the multitasking view. Why there? It is pointless and weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion