Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't like all iOS 8, and don't think some things are revolutionary, like the keyboard, however, Microsoft copied off others. You guys should all know, sometimes we need to get ideas from others. Someone once said "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

And they did announce things that we don't have. I'm sure all of you will be begging for these features from Microsoft, am I right?

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I just watched the presentation for IOS 8. Those that believe that IOS 8 brings nothing to the table are not being truthful. IOS 8 brings tons. More than I've ever seen in any other package and this package will be a FREE upgrade. Google I/O is a joke by comparison.

The worst part about Google is that only about 20-25% (if not lesser) phones get the Android updates. There is much lesser support for Android devices compared to Windows or iOS devices.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe everything is fine but I just don't understand the purpose of the contacts floating in the multitasking view. Why there? It is pointless and weird.

Quick access to contacts that is out of the way but still accessible anywhere.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
But, like clockwork, they roll out once a year, and about 90% of apples mobile device users get the latest and greatest IOS should they choose to install it. Nice.

The answer to actionable notifications is actionable live tiles. This is something that should have shipped with W7 when the OS was launched. The fact that we don't have it yet -- and that it may never be coming -- is really just pathetic.

MS, you are behind and falling further and futher behind. WP8.1 is not really an "upgrade" with all the features you've removed, but once again a lateral move. Try just adding features, and doing it faster. The best way to get more features faster is to open up your OS to 3rd party developers. Custom keyboards (now in iOS), alternative browsers, start screen skins, etc., are all a must.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The answer to actionable notifications is actionable live tiles. This is something that should have shipped with W7 when the OS was launched. The fact that we don't have it yet -- and that it may never be coming -- is really just pathetic.

MS, you are behind and falling further and futher behind. WP8.1 is not really an "upgrade" with all the features you've removed, but once again a lateral move. Try just adding features, and doing it faster. The best way to get more features faster is to open up your OS to 3rd party developers. Custom keyboards (now in iOS), alternative browsers, start screen skins, etc., are all a must.

We need actionable live tiles for WP, yes (it was demoed for W8, idk when it will come), but actionable notifications would be nice as well. I think Android has something a bit similar.

Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am watching WWDC 2014 live and I must say, I really expected Apple to pull a bigger refresh... same with OS X Yosemite... please share your ideas :)

They ripped off the whole iCloud Drive integration from OneDrive in Windows 8. Obviously it means that MS is doing the right thing, heh. But it shows how Apple have lost any ability to innovate, and are just playing catch-up.

If the rumours are true and they put out bigger iPhones, they'll be doing the same with hardware.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Since everyone is so readily impressed by apple ability to produce nothing of real usefulness lets talk about all the features apple users want that aren't present in IOS 8. Idrive is an interesting concept but useless if the stupid phone doesn't even have a file manager anyway. Clearly it's a way to force people into the Idrive. iTunes has not been updated and iPhones biggest crutch is having to buy a Mac to get somewhat of a decent iTunes experience. And since you're still forced to use iTunes you're locked in further. Answering phone calls on a Mac is a Mac feature not an iPhone feature. And one again this requires you buy more apple products. Same with imessage, group text had to be the most annoying feature on iPhone. Fixing it only for other iPhone users does not make me want an iPhone. It makes me less likely to get one. Siri update is weak. Siri still can't do half of what Cortana does. Apple completely drop the ball when it comes to Siri. Actionable notifications is cool but it's far from this mesmerizing feature you guys are making it out to be. Most IOS 8 features are fixes not game changers. Imessage was terrible and now it's better but it's far from revolutionary. Keyboard is better but not revolutionary. IOS 8 is better than IOS 7 but marginally.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
But, like clockwork, they roll out once a year, and about 90% of apples mobile device users get the latest and greatest IOS should they choose to install it. Nice.

I feel like there's not a lot of option with IOS updates. If you don't install them your device will become obsolete. I know that iPhone users are wealthy and change their phones each year, but if they don't, they are left behind. More so than with any other platform.

Their updates are free and big, sure, but they are also are pretty much mandatory. It's their philosophy in everything: it's their way or your loss, like it or leave.

That's one of the many things I don't like about Apple and their devices.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Many of the new features are a copy of 3 party apps/other OS (swiftkey, mic option in message, ability to send video and voice messages,...)

Who cares, it's consumers who benefit from OEMs 'copying' each other. I'd gladly use an OS that copies all the greatest features from current systems, why not? As a user, I want all the features in one package, I'm not going to purchase 3 different devices because they offer different features. Someone designs a feature, another one copies it and improves it, third one improves it even further, first and second one implement the latest improvements. It's a win for users. It's not like WP8.1 is 100% original ideas. There's even an article on Pocketnow, how webOS had all these things, that are being presented as new in new systems, already implemented.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about mic option in message, I much rather use the new flow keyboard. If I want to talk, I'll just call. Video and voice messages are being presented as a revolution, like everything Apple presents, yet I find very little use for them. I only find it weird that this wasn't available before.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Since everyone is so readily impressed by apple ability to produce nothing of real usefulness lets talk about all the features apple users want that aren't present in IOS 8. Idrive is an interesting concept but useless if the stupid phone doesn't even have a file manager anyway. Clearly it's a way to force people into the Idrive. iTunes has not been updated and iPhones biggest crutch is having to buy a Mac to get somewhat of a decent iTunes experience. And since you're still forced to use iTunes you're locked in further. Answering phone calls on a Mac is a Mac feature not an iPhone feature. And one again this requires you buy more apple products. Same with imessage, group text had to be the most annoying feature on iPhone. Fixing it only for other iPhone users does not make me want an iPhone. It makes me less likely to get one. Siri update is weak. Siri still can't do half of what Cortana does. Apple completely drop the ball when it comes to Siri. Actionable notifications is cool but it's far from this mesmerizing feature you guys are making it out to be. Most IOS 8 features are fixes not game changers. Imessage was terrible and now it's better but it's far from revolutionary. Keyboard is better but not revolutionary. IOS 8 is better than IOS 7 but marginally.
I think you're conveniently dismissing the improvements made to their ecosystems. An apple product works well with other apple products. Quite frankly they work better than other products because they control software and hardware. Regardless, Apple is providing their users with new features (yes others OS's have them) that will work across any of their devices. SMS integration? Android has that only if you use hangouts, otherwise no one has it and Apple will most likely make it a more reliable experience. Taking calls with your macbook? I mean I think you're being a bit dismissive because you have some ill will towards Apple. In all honesty I want a cohesive experience between devices and Apple just laid their offering out there, and it looks the best. Microsoft isn't there yet and Android is android regardless of device (not arguing the usability of their devices). And how can you dismiss actionable notifications, seriously? If WP had it you would probably tout how Innovative MS is. But because apple did it.....meh. C'mon man.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
ios 8 = ios 7 + health stuff and some minor stuff which android, wp , BB have enjoyed since atleast 2 years but were waiting for apple to invent the new features and be called revolutionary
i dont see any reason why ios 8 is even called the next version of ios, it doesnt have any new features as such and might as well have been an updated ios 7.1.x or something instead of 8
every other mobile os gets major changes every update(wp,android,BB10 and even the aging and old- BBos and symbian)
ios on the other hand has gone the other way after ios 7, design is kiddish and unoriginal-they should have given an option of themes and fonts instead , even wp has more customisation in that aspect(dark and white background,wallpaper,colour schemes etc)
ios is a great os no doubt,dont get me wrong, but ios 7 and 8 are real letdowns for an apple lover like me, i love my idevices but only one of my ipads is on ,7 others are jailbroken on 6.1.3 and 6.1.2
wp8.1 has already gotten soo much criticism and hate for a few things despite bringing alot of new things to the table if not late but ios 8 ,despite not getting any major updates is still not scrutinized

ps- taking calls with a mac etc have been inbuilt-features for windows and windows phone as well, just try pairing wp8.1 to windows 8/8.1 and see, you can even make calls etc from there

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe everything is fine but I just don't understand the purpose of the contacts floating in the multitasking view. Why there? It is pointless and weird.

It's there for people who use their phones to communicate with other people a lot. Remember that you can't pint your contacts to start on iOS, so before this shortcut, calling someone quickly required going to Contacts first.
Oh, I noticed there were options for contacts shortcuts, but creating then was less then convenient.
And that space was empty before, now they filled it up with content, not so pointless from my point of view.

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 has some pretty neat features. None of them are anything innovative/revolutionary. They're good but not great, imo. However, Microsoft definitely need to pick up the pace, since there's things iOS7 had that WP8.1 doesn't.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's there for people who use their phones to communicate with other people a lot. Remember that you can't pint your contacts to start on iOS, so before this shortcut, calling someone quickly required going to Contacts first.
Oh, I noticed there were options for contacts shortcuts, but creating then was less then convenient.
And that space was empty before, now they filled it up with content, not so pointless from my point of view.

yeah its one of the few things which i also liked about ios 8

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
iOS 8 has some pretty neat features. None of them are anything innovative/revolutionary. They're good but not great, imo. However, Microsoft definitely need to pick up the pace, since there's things iOS7 had that WP8.1 doesn't.

true dat, something like airdrop or remote access to files on a network natively would have been nice i guess

xchange

Banned
Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
credit where due for sure, Apple nailed it this year (as far as iPhones go. Still not my cup of tea even with the improvements), while MS continues to crawl as it always has when it comes to listening to customer wishes and then applying them.
Am I the only one who finds it curious that only WPC and Crackberry members are the ones gnashing their teeth about this with tons of posts while AC is more or less indifferent about iOS8? I'm getting the impression that people are more or less taking the stance that iOS showing an upside just peeves them off about their own OS of choice and are bashing it to downplay it. This update is being very well received everywhere else. The amount of attention you guys are paying to this is testament in itself that this update is a pretty big deal. Nobody was trending topics about WP 8.1 over at iMore, AC, or even CB for that matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb