Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
credit where due for sure, Apple nailed it this year (as far as iPhones go. Still not my cup of tea even with the improvements), while MS continues to crawl as it always has when it comes to listening to customer wishes and then applying them.
Am I the only one who finds it curious that only WPC and Crackberry members are the ones gnashing their teeth about this with tons of posts while AC is more or less indifferent about iOS8? I'm getting the impression that people are more or less taking the stance that iOS showing an upside just peeves them off about their own OS of choice and are bashing it to downplay it. This update is being very well received everywhere else. The amount of attention you guys are paying to this is testament in itself that this update is a pretty big deal. Nobody was trending topics about WP 8.1 over at iMore, AC, or even CB for that matter

I actually said this on AC. There are bunch of posts on iOS 8 on WPCentral and CrackBerry but on AC there is only like 2 threads about it with less than around 20 posts combined. I think because regardless of iOS does Android will still be top dog. It's a matter of who at the lower amount software market share will suffer the most now that #2 is stepping it up.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I actually said this on AC. There are bunch of posts on iOS 8 on WPCentral and CrackBerry but on AC there is only like 2 threads about it with less than around 20 posts combined. I think because regardless of iOS does Android will still be top dog. It's a matter of who at the lower amount software market share will suffer the most now that #2 is stepping it up.

This is also because regardless what Apple does, their customers will keep buying their phones.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is also because regardless what Apple does, their customers will keep buying their phones.

True. But this year, it looks like more people from other platforms are going to jump ship too.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you're conveniently dismissing the improvements made to their ecosystems. An apple product works well with other apple products. Quite frankly they work better than other products because they control software and hardware. Regardless, Apple is providing their users with new features (yes others OS's have them) that will work across any of their devices. SMS integration? Android has that only if you use hangouts, otherwise no one has it and Apple will most likely make it a more reliable experience. Taking calls with your macbook? I mean I think you're being a bit dismissive because you have some ill will towards Apple. In all honesty I want a cohesive experience between devices and Apple just laid their offering out there, and it looks the best. Microsoft isn't there yet and Android is android regardless of device (not arguing the usability of their devices). And how can you dismiss actionable notifications, seriously? If WP had it you would probably tout how Innovative MS is. But because apple did it.....meh. C'mon man.
but Google hangouts it's available across platforms. You don't need an android phone. I've been using it on my PC and old iPhone for at least the past year.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
For me, one killer feature of WP is the way you can pin something from within an app to the start screen. I love this feature. I have pinned specific podcasts, loyalty cards, radio stations, a mix from Mix Radio, a couple of often-called contacts, a source from Bing News and more. There is no way to do this on iOS, and Android only allows it if there is a widget available to do a similar job.

A typical example. A radio station from TuneIn. With iOS I have to open the app and dig down to find the station from within my favourites. WP lets me pin the station directly to the start screen. So much more convenient. IMO the UI is of paramount importance. The iOS UI consists of just app icons. So basic.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
but Google hangouts it's available across platforms. You don't need an android phone. I've been using it on my PC and old iPhone for at least the past year.

How is Apple any worse than having a Windows Phone and a Windows computer? You say you have to get a Apple computer to work with a phone. But don't you have to have a Windows computer to get the full Windows effect?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I left apple recently and IOS 8 represents every reason I was tired of apple. And this is exactly why do many iPhone users switch to Android. It's fancy but more or less it's the same thing with some cool features iPhone users aren't really asking for. Improve iTunes, SD card support, improve apple ID, allowed complete skinning.

Instead we get keyboard skinning, exploding text messages and Mac phone calls. Apples inability to give people what they want instead offering features to keep people trapped in the apple ecosystem is exactly why they're losing market share everyday. Open your eyes people.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For me, one killer feature of WP is the way you can pin something from within an app to the start screen. I love this feature. I have pinned specific podcasts, loyalty cards, radio stations, a mix from Mix Radio, a couple of often-called contacts, a source from Bing News and more. There is no way to do this on iOS, and Android only allows it if there is a widget available to do a similar job.

A typical example. A radio station from TuneIn. With iOS I have to open the app and dig down to find the station from within my favourites. WP lets me pin the station directly to the start screen. So much more convenient. IMO the UI is of paramount importance. The iOS UI consists of just app icons. So basic.

The people who buy iPhones don't care about the basic interface so I think its more than that is what gets Apple the big bucks in mobile.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
How is Apple any worse than having a Windows Phone and a Windows computer? You say you have to get a Apple computer to work with a phone. But don't you have to have a Windows computer to get the full Windows effect?

Nope. My partner and i have been using OneDrive for some time now. He's on Android and i was on iPhone. OneDrive was so great coming to Windows was an easy choice. I highly doubt idrive leaves apple anytime soon.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I left apple recently and IOS 8 represents every reason I was tired of apple. And this is exactly why do many iPhone users switch to Android. It's fancy but more or less it's the same thing with some cool features iPhone users aren't really asking for. Improve iTunes, SD card support, improve apple ID, allowed complete skinning.

Instead we get keyboard skinning, exploding text messages and Mac phone calls. Apples inability to give people what they want instead offering features to keep people trapped in the apple ecosystem is exactly why they're losing market share everyday. Open your eyes people.

Market share does not translate to losing. They still make record profits in mobile very year along with Samsung.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

That is exactly what Microsoft critics are saying :D .

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope. My partner and i have been using OneDrive for some time now. He's on Android and i was on iPhone. OneDrive was so great coming to Windows was an easy choice. I highly doubt idrive leaves apple anytime soon.

So you agree it's easier to use Windows Computers with Windows Phone then? Just like it is easier to use iPhones with Macs. Not much of a difference in my opinion.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So you agree it's easier to use Windows Computers with Windows Phone then? Just like it is easier to use iPhones with Macs. Not much of a difference in my opinion.

It's easier but it's actually possible with Windows. It's not possible with apple. If your don't have an iPhone you have no choice in using imessage. You simply can't. You cannot make calls on your computer even if you have an iPhone if you don't have a Mac. But Skype works on all platforms. Office works on all platforms. OneDrive works on all platforms. It's easier between Windows but you have the option to use it with your other products too. Something apple is clearly trying to prevent so that your forced to buy apple products whether they're better or not.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

What is more likely, that people will have a Microsoft computer or Mac?
Mac are, much like iPhones to expensive. For price of 27" Mac I can buy a comparable Windows PC (including screen and all other things), Lumia 1520 and Windows tablet.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's easier but it's actually possible with Windows. It's not possible with apple. If your don't have an iPhone you have no choice in using imessage. You simply can't. You cannot make calls on your computer even if you have an iPhone if you don't have a Mac. But Skype works on all platforms. Office works on all platforms. OneDrive works on all platforms. It's easier between Windows but you have the option to use it with your other products too. Something apple is clearly trying to prevent so that your forced to buy suppose products whether they're better or not.

You can use an iPhone with Windows though. I know several people at my college who have iPhones with Windows laptops.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
People are getting fed up with seeing Android and WP doing things their phones will never do but they don't have choice because they're trapped in this apple ecosystem. IOS 8 just improves on that trap not on the smart phone industry. Not on innovation. Not on creativity. Only on apple.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What is more likely, that people will have a Microsoft computer or Mac?
Mac are, much like iPhones to expensive. For price of 27" Mac I can buy a comparable Windows PC (including screen and all other things), Lumia 1520 and Windows tablet.

Why did you pick a 27 inch iMac? When you guys bring up price you always pick the most expensive ones but never pick the cheapest ones. If we compare prices. The prices of the iMacs are inline with Windows All in Ones. Not over priced and if they are Windows computers are overpriced too.

Attachments

• 1401822261486.jpg
    1401822261486.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8
  • 1401822269009.jpg
    1401822269009.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics