Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you've seen iPhone users, they're often "wall huggers." In my school, kids are always desperate to plug in their iPhones. Funny, really. Especially interesting how Apple prioritizes being thin and light over battery life. Didn't the Droid Razr vs. Droid Razr Maxx show us that people will gladly take a slightly bigger and slightly heavier phone for the sake of dramatically increased battery life?
Yes, so true lol, but I think its with the older models or heavy users. My school has several signs posted saying not to charge your phone and the assistant principal says it on announcements every morning. Also I have to admit(wow, word flow guessed I was gonna say have to s***) I am a wall hugger occasionally but only when my phone mysteriously doesn't charge over night. But, thank god its summer break :D
I'm in high school Btw.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you've seen iPhone users, they're often "wall huggers." In my school, kids are always desperate to plug in their iPhones. Funny, really. Especially interesting how Apple prioritizes being thin and light over battery life. Didn't the Droid Razr vs. Droid Razr Maxx show us that people will gladly take a slightly bigger and slightly heavier phone for the sake of dramatically increased battery life?

I never quite understood why Apple thought being thin & light was more important than battery life. I remember when the iPhone 5 was released it was advertised as the thinnest smartphone to date. It was indeed impressive what Apple packed in there, but I for one would gladly carry a few extra millimeters & grams to have better battery endurance.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, after steve jobs went away..they did lose a lot. It isn't as exciting as before since now everything is copying everything. For example, Apple copied the flat, colorful design of W8, Android copied the layout on first gens, everyone copied the idea of the capacative (I know I spelled it wrong) touch screen, and Blackberry copied Android's gingerbread and up versions. Apple needs to come out with something amazing again, with the days when they introduce the first pad and iphone were stunning. Now..it's starting to become less intuitive in new concepts..

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Obviously you can, but the point is its that to use most of the "cool" new features hot need to be fully submerged in the Apple platform

Same with Windows Phone. I don't see the big deal. At least with Apple besides iMessage you can choose whatever services you want to use. On Windows Phone Microsoft Services is at the forefront.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, after steve jobs went away..they did lose a lot. It isn't as exciting as before since now everything is copying everything. For example, Apple copied the flat, colorful design of W8, Android copied the layout on first gens, everyone copied the idea of the capacative (I know I spelled it wrong) touch screen, and Blackberry copied Android's gingerbread and up versions. Apple needs to come out with something amazing again, with the days when they introduce the first pad and iphone were stunning. Now..it's starting to become less intuitive in new concepts..

Android copied what? BlackBerry copied what? BlackBerry borrowed heavily from WebOS if anything with literally Android in it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The iOS 8 announcement was cool. I only wonder.....from version 1 to version 7, all iPhones have horrible battery life and will adding more features worsen it?

What is the use of having so many features when your phone cannot be used for a decent time (forget about competing with battery life of Lumia's) in a single charge.?

The number of features is entirely irrelevant. What matters is how each feature is implemented and how often and for how long a feature is executed. Typically, the three features using most battery power will use more juice than the next 50 combined. Some features, like new settings options, require no extra power at all.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Very true. Many take their technology too heart, and it basically becomes a biggest ***** contest. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but it's true: that's how I see this whole thread.

So because Apple made some improvements: Microsoft-fans feel inadequate and are getting highly defensive. I've said this several times: But you're a fool if you don't beleive iOS 8 is a significant update with lots of new features in tow.
Improved notifications, widgets and keyboards is cool but far from significant and far from a ton of new features. It's a nice update but really we could call this ios 7.2

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Improved notifications, widgets and keyboards is cool but far from significant and far from a ton of new features. It's a nice update but really we could call this ios 7.2

You are only picking and choosing. There was way more than that they talked about. Come on, be fair.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Siri was a program Apple bought from a developer...which in many ways copies Microsoft Voice Command from the WinMo days (yeah....I went there. lol). Microsoft copied the notification center from Android (two versions ago). Everyone borrows from everyone, Apple of course usually claims the idea, but, still. It's not a question about borrowing, stealing or ripping off; it's a question of implementation and advancement. Does the latest company advance the idea?

That said, I wasn't super-impressed with iOS 8 either. lol

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
windows phone 8.1 turned out to be something big and unexpected with many improvements, new features and so on. but there are some features i would like to see in order to keep the hype and momentum of windows phone 8.1 going. we need something or anything we can get that reduce the hype ios 8 is now receiving. imagine on CNN they are talking about feature like actionable notification, family/ room, always on siri like they are the new apples innovation.
please vote for these features and share with as many people as you can.
actionable notification, always on cortana, picture password – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Unless there is a missing plane involved, CNN isn't going to talk about this. lol. Kidding...you make a great point. The key with all of this is hype. Force all Sales staff to live with a Windows phone on 8.1 , after an explanation of the features and benefits, for a month and I think we would see an awful lot more growth. My local t-mobile has two windows phones. The display is behind the registers. There is a wall of Androids, a display of i-stuff...but the 925 and 521 (both amazing phones) are hidden on a wall behind the register. The news gave great reviews and play to 8.1...it's up to the users to keep the hype going.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think some of you get it.

Yes the features aren't new. Yes the stuff Apple announced has been around a long time.

However Apple has seemed to remove the hassle and make everything seamless.

Perfect example the SMS and calls feature. There is absolutely nothing to setup on your ipad or Mac. No extra programs to download and login and sync or create accounts, no searching for bluetooth networks or anything. It just works.

It's the implementation that matters.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Unless there is a missing plane involved, CNN isn't going to talk about this. lol. Kidding...you make a great point. The key with all of this is hype. Force all Sales staff to live with a Windows phone on 8.1 , after an explanation of the features and benefits, for a month and I think we would see an awful lot more growth. My local t-mobile has two windows phones. The display is behind the registers. There is a wall of Androids, a display of i-stuff...but the 925 and 521 (both amazing phones) are hidden on a wall behind the register. The news gave great reviews and play to 8.1...it's up to the users to keep the hype going.

These phones are nice, but they are also pretty outdated and don't run Windows Phone 8.1 unless you go the developer preview route.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Why did you pick a 27 inch iMac? When you guys bring up price you always pick the most expensive ones but never pick the cheapest ones. If we compare prices. The prices of the iMacs are inline with Windows All in Ones. Not over priced and if they are Windows computers are overpriced too.

if my eyes are correct , that surely is overpriced
rather get a decent laptop/macbook with a good display instead

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Not much of a price difference to call it overpriced.

what??
other than the ipad and apple tv, every other apple product is quite overpriced and has lower specs especially for macs,rather get that dell,chris mentioned, and install elementary os and windows in dual boot

plus the macbook air 11" is a sweet deal but battery wear issues are present in every laptop/macbook in the market so a laptop with a removable battery is better

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
if my eyes are correct , that surely is overpriced
rather get a decent laptop/macbook with a good display instead

I was saying in that post the Windows AIO devices have the same specs as the iMacs so it is a fair comparison. So calling them overpriced is calling all the AIO's overpriced as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos