Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
what??
other than the ipad and apple tv, every other apple product is quite overpriced and has lower specs especially for macs,rather get that dell,chris mentioned, and install elementary os and windows in dual boot

plus the macbook air 11" is a sweet deal but battery wear issues are present in every laptop/macbook in the market so a laptop with a removable battery is better

They are not overpriced, you and others want to believe that it is, but in reality Apple's products are in the same range as any other OS's high end end devices.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter, majority of this thread is about who had it first.

I think it doesn't matter. Windows Mobile had so many features, so many possibilities. Most of them were cut for Windows Phone 7. It didn't even have copy and paste anymore...

It doesn't matter who had it first, it matters who has it now and how it's implemented.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it doesn't matter. Windows Mobile had so many features, so many possibilities. Most of them were cut for Windows Phone 7. It didn't even have copy and paste anymore...

It doesn't matter who had it first, it matters who has it now and how it's implemented.

Exactly, Windows Mobile got left in the cold and was supplanted for Windows Phone 7 and from the get go WP7 had less than half of the features of Windows Mobile.

tylerpw

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of where you stand, you have to realize that more users = improvement to WP ecosystem. Your individual ****** love of the platform won't drive developers to improve the severely lacking app ecosystem. Until WP is perceived to be on par with iOS by the non-techie masses, it won't stand a chance.

IMO WP is trying really hard to differentiate without making improvements to core features that iOS/Android users have grown accustomed to.

You can make the argument that Apple isn't doing anything innovative but, who cares if people love their iPhones and feel no need to look elsewhere?

tylerpw

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The fact that I still use my sim-less iPhone via Wi-Fi to be able to use a better functioning version of most apps speaks volumes. That has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the trajectory of the 2 platforms. WP needs help, quick.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The fact that I still use my sim-less iPhone via Wi-Fi to be able to use a better functioning version of most apps speaks volumes. That has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the trajectory of the 2 platforms. WP needs help, quick.

Does that mean you are using a Windows Phone device as main phone? Why don't you just use your old iPhone then?

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
What is more likely, that people will have a Microsoft computer or Mac?
Mac are, much like iPhones to expensive. For price of 27" Mac I can buy a comparable Windows PC (including screen and all other things), Lumia 1520 and Windows tablet.

You can get a core i7, a 1520, and any Windows tablet for the price of a Mac? Do Macs cost $3,500 where you're from?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Apple was far better when steve jobs was there now apple mostly try to make money out of their devices. And as tapehead said its true now there is innovation in any of the OS. They just copy each other ideas.
Apple just launched iphone 5C 8gb version in India for ₹38000(i.e $600) same as the price tag of lumia 1520 and Samsung galaxy S5.In india still people go for apple cause its an iphone it will make them feel look rich(they think this way)

Hey I think India everyone has galaxies S4 &S5

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
They are not overpriced, you and others want to believe that it is, but in reality Apple's products are in the same range as any other OS's high end end devices.

The issue isn't purely price point, but price point in relation to what you're getting. For example, the iPhone 5S on contract is the same as the Lumia 1520 (both considered flagships) The base iPhone 5 (no Siri) without contract is $549.00 which is the same price as a Lumia 1520 off contract. Now let's look at the phones and what you're getting. Lumia has a bigger and better screen, better battery, better camera, better processor, better audio and microphone (4) and a microSD slot for expandable memory. The issue with Apple products have never been strictly price related as they are price accordingly to the product class, but rather price versus product capability.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok Christoper, you got point.

So IOS 8 isn't bad but is not enough for most of Windows Phone fans, Apple products are overpriced and Microsoft has some work to do.

Good night guys, or have a nice day (if you are from US).

Yes Apple iPhone's are for those who spend a fortune atleast in India.so all Apple products users be happy you get all from this ios 8.I agree this is better update than ios 7.enjoy your iPhone's!!!!.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to see what the iPhone 6 brings to iOS 8 hardware wise. I am pretty sure some sort of heart beat monitor either on the home button or in the ear pods, maybe some other enhancements like a bigger screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The issue isn't purely price point, but price point in relation to what you're getting. For example, the iPhone 5S on contract is the same as the Lumia 1520 (both considered flagships) The base iPhone 5 (no Siri) without contract is $549.00 which is the same price as a Lumia 1520 off contract. Now let's look at the phones and what you're getting. Lumia has a bigger and better screen, better battery, better camera, better processor, better audio and microphone (4) and a microSD slot for expandable memory. The issue with Apple products have never been strictly price related as they are price accordingly to the product class, but rather price versus product capability.

No it's perceived value. Regardless of capability an iPhone 5C (the base model and most popular model) is $549 off contract and the Lumia Icon is $549 off contract as well. They are the same price. Whether one device is more value for the money is always up for debate and will always be swayed by personal choice and bias. Also for the 1520 I am seeing it for $584 off contract on AT&T`s website.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I did not bring up price or who had anything first. I addressed that point because others brought it up. IOS 8 is weak on its own merit. These points don't have to be brought up to prove IOS 8 is weak. IOS 8 is an example of Apple doing what Apple does best when it comes to iPhones since the death of Steve jobs. It offers a few app updates (message, notification center, keyboard) and a gimmick feature (think fingerprint scanner) like calling over Mac. These updates are not significant updates because these updates fixed where Apple was already falling short. The ability to remove yourself from group text comes from the flaws already in group text. Predictive text comes from the slowness of regular texting. My girl has an iPhone 5s and entering any text is a chore whenever I borrow it (Especially when you're used to WordFlow). This really should be called IOS 7.2 not IOS 8.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As far as people talking about Apple implementation. Adopted implementation will always be a bit more refined because they only support 3 or 4 phone models at any one time. Older phones don't get updated features. You also have to consider that they build all of the hardware. It's a very closed system.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I did not bring up price or who had anything first. I addressed that point because others brought it up. IOS 8 is weak on its own merit. These points don't have to be brought up to prove IOS 8 is weak. IOS 8 is an example of Apple doing what Apple does best when it comes to iPhones since the death of Steve jobs. It offers a few app updates (message, notification center, keyboard) and a gimmick feature (think fingerprint scanner) like calling over Mac. These updates are not significant updates because these updates fixed where Apple was already falling short. The ability to remove yourself from group text comes from the flaws already in group text. Predictive text comes from the slowness of regular texting. My girl has an iPhone 5s and entering any text is a chore whenever I borrow it (Especially when you're used to WordFlow). This really should be called IOS 7.2 not IOS 8.

I think you are not wiling to admit iOS now has more features than Windows Phone does. We can criticize Apple all day but in the end, who makes the most money from mobile? Who gets a lot of repeat customers? Who has one of the best ecosystems? That is all Apple.

Personally I would be beyond hesitant to get an iPhone but now with iOS 8 bringing so many features and a bigger iPhone set to come out, I would be fooling myself if I didn't check it out at least.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you are not wiling to admit iOS now has more features than Windows Phone does. We can criticize Apple all day but in the end, who makes the most money from mobile? Who gets a lot of repeat customers? Who has one of the best ecosystems? That is all Apple.

Personally I would be beyond hesitant to get an iPhone but now with iOS 8 bringing so many features and a bigger iPhone set to come out, I would be fooling myself if I didn't check it out at least.

Having more features and sales has nothing at all to do with the OS being weak.
PS I do think it does have more features but i don't think it has the most useful features. I recently left iPhone for lack of useful features. I had a 4s. I didn't update to the 5 cause it introduced stuff that was useless to me. I still don't know anyone who regularly users airdrop at all. Then the 5s came out and one again I didn't update because a fingerprint scanner had nothing to do with a feature I would actually want. It's a novelty feature. When Samsung threw in every feature under the sun in their phones they were critiqued for bloating the OS. Apple sort of does the same by bloating with the features that aren't what Apple users are asking for. They're asking for iTunes improvements, ways to backup their phones without it altogether, their asking for customizations, they're tired of having to jailbreak to get some real function or of their phone.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

In my opinion IOS 8 has already told me everything I need to know about the iPhone 6. No SD card. No removable battery, no regular micro USB charge port. I'm sure it will have improvements but not the ones the users are asking for.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I left apple recently and IOS 8 represents every reason I was tired of apple. And this is exactly why do many iPhone users switch to Android. It's fancy but more or less it's the same thing with some cool features iPhone users aren't really asking for. Improve iTunes, SD card support, improve apple ID, allowed complete skinning.

Instead we get keyboard skinning, exploding text messages and Mac phone calls. Apples inability to give people what they want instead offering features to keep people trapped in the apple ecosystem is exactly why they're losing market share everyday. Open your eyes people.

In the U.S., their market share has increased over 10 points in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99