Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Having more features and sales has nothing at all to do with the OS being weak.
PS I do think it does have more features but i don't think it has the most useful features. I recently left iPhone for lack of useful features. I had a 4s. I didn't update to the 5 cause it introduced stuff that was useless to me. I still don't know anyone who regularly users airdrop at all. Then the 5s came out and one again I didn't update because a fingerprint scanner had nothing to do with a feature I would actually want. It's a novelty feature. When Samsung threw in every feature under the sun in their phones they were critiqued for bloating the OS. Apple sort of does the same by bloating with the features that aren't what Apple users are asking for. They're asking for iTunes improvements, ways to backup their phones without it altogether, their asking for customizations, they're tired of having to jailbreak to get some real function or of their phone.

Well all those complaints are now gone in iOS 8. What's the real problem? I honestly don't see any really useless features in iOS 8. I can't hate on something that probably took a good amount of R & D to do. Especially coming from a company that has been so slow to change anything.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion IOS 8 has already told me everything I need to know about the iPhone 6. No SD card. No removable battery, no regular micro USB charge port. I'm sure it will have improvements but not the ones the users are asking for.

Are you serious? iPhones NEVER had a micro SD card, removable battery or a micro USB charging port. Now they would have it? That makes no sense. At that that's something that is rarely if at all seen in Nokia's phones. They have a micro USB port but removable batteries is never seen on their high end models and micro SD card slots have only made it on the 1520 for their high end.

Seems to me you just want to criticize them. Especially since those requests you mentioned seem like what YOU want and not just "general users".

tylerpw

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion IOS 8 has already told me everything I need to know about the iPhone 6. No SD card. No removable battery, no regular micro USB charge port. I'm sure it will have improvements but not the ones the users are asking for.

You have the right to your own opinion and preferences but the average user doesn't care about the things you've listed. The proof is in the pudding. Every business' objective is to sell more. Selling more means catering to said average user.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Adopted lightning connector is no faster than any l an ordinary USB connector. Apple only implemented it to sell Apple charging devices. People do want to be able to use a regular cheap cable to charge their phone. And as you said high end phones have SD cards and Apple is super to be as premium as it gets. You mention Apple never had these things which emphasizes my point. Apple doesn't add the feature people want. Lack of SD card, bigger size, USB charging are reasons Android is winning the phone battle. People want these and Apple will finally cave in due to demand on some features but still they're not there yet.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well all those complaints are now gone in iOS 8. What's the real problem? I honestly don't see any really useless features in iOS 8. I can't hate on something that probably took a good amount of R & D to do. Especially coming from a company that has been so slow to change anything.

The real problem, still no iTunes improvement, Apple ID improvements, file manager, multitasking, etc... I've stated problems in previous post.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Adopted lightning connector is no faster than any l an ordinary USB connector. Apple only implemented it to sell Apple charging devices. People do want to be able to use a regular cheap cable to charge their phone. And as you said high end phones have SD cards and Apple is super to be as premium as it gets. You mention Apple never had these things which emphasizes my point. Apple doesn't add the feature people want. Lack of SD card, bigger size, USB charging are reasons Android is winning the phone battle. People want these and Apple will finally cave in due to demand on some features but still they're not there yet.

They have no reason to do what you just said. You are projecting your own wants onto other people when the proof is in the pudding that Apple does very well despite your reasons why they are losing.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

The average smartphone buyer doesn't even know about SD cards, USB vs. Lightning, removable battery, etc., so I doubt that is a buying factor. It is probably the people that follow these forums (for the most part) that are aware of those features.One reason that Android is winning the battle is that Apple is only in the high-end market, whereas Android sells anything from cheap junk (not the Moto's) to high-end phones. Apple controls the high-end market with around 65% of that market, and they leave the low-end alone.
"Apple only implemented it to sell Apple charging devices." Apple developed Lightning because it is more user-friendly, more pins, and at the time that Lightning was released the micro-usb cables couldn't handle enough amperage to charge an iPad.

Last edited:

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The average smartphone buyer doesn't even know about SD cards, USB vs. Lightning, removable battery, etc., so I doubt that is a buying factor. It is probably the people that follow these forums (for the most part) that are aware of those features.One reason that Android is winning the battle is that Apple is only in the high-end market, whereas Android sells anything from cheap junk (not the Moto's) to high-end phones. Apple controls the high-end market with around 65% of that market, and they leave the low-end alone.
"Apple only implemented it to sell Apple charging devices." Apple developed Lightning because it is more user-friendly, more pins, and at the time that Lightning was released the micro-usb cables couldn't handle enough amperage to charge an iPad.
You're joking, right? People don't know about SD cards and removable batteries? I know old people who don't even own smartphones that know about removable batteries in cell phones. And way too many devices use SD cards for you to say such nonsense.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
At the end of the day,IOS 8 is a big deal.

I know folks who have switched from a 4s to a Galaxy phone..I'm one..I couldn't get used to it.

It was too small of a screen for my eyes. My goodness it was totally closed and I couldn't change much,however it would work when no other phone would. The Wi-Fi was excellent,call quality was spot on,screen sensitivity excellent..all in all was a super nice phone,and the app store,well,that's a no brainer.

Now since then,the improvements with them is impressive,same for Androids,same for Windows phone...bigger screens,better apps,more connectivity,higher resolution screens....man everything across all platforms is better..

To say IOS 8 isn't a big difference is short sighted,same for wp8.1, and 4.3 Android..

They all bring things to the table that are below skin level,and make these phones better.

Whose the best...does it really matter?

I root for them all to make our lives better,isn't that what we all should do?

Competition is good....and we all benefit from it.

My household has all platforms and so I get to see how they all interact together and just like most families,they all have issues playing with one another.

IOS 8 just as WP 8.1 and the next version of Android is better bigger and will do more...and that is a good thing.

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I do (i personally don't even like android at all) but if we are talking sales then clearly android is winning this argument.

Samsung is winning in Android. Their sales total outstrip any manufacturer. But profit wise, Apple makes the most money, and sells more individual phones.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
They are not overpriced, you and others want to believe that it is, but in reality Apple's products are in the same range as any other OS's high end end devices.

hahahaha im assuming you are sarcastic on this one
dont get me wrong i love apple but they are overpriced and overrated except for ipad and appletv

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is winning in Android. Their sales total outstrip any manufacturer. But profit wise, Apple makes the most money, and sells more individual phones.

unbranded phones are winning more than samsung actually, samsung is dropping fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte