Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You're right: It's not easy. Hence why we give our money to companies to make, offer and sell a quality and compelling product.

Seriously, that logic will ruin the world, because it wouldn't leave room to criticize anything. Don't like a movie? Go make your own! Supermarket sold you rotten meat? Raise your own cows! A landscaper you hired did a **** job on your yard? Go do it yourself! Etc, etc.

Yeah, the whole point of this magical little thing we call an economy is to facilitate the trade and exchange of goods. They're supposed to do the hard work we can't and don't want to do, and we pay them in return. They don't listen? Then we speak with our wallets: By spending money elsewhere.

So hell yeah, it's tough to build an OS, hence why I'm giving them my money to do it for me. As such, if they don't give me what I want: I can go elsewhere, where I can receive what I desire. Gotta love the choice available in a consumer-driven economy. :p

you should know i come from a business family so yeah i know the struggles of a corporate as well
it might look easy to do well etc but do you know the behind the scenes stuff??
especially coding an entire os without any open source code etc isnt easy
you misunderstood my point
A895 doesnt even own any non-android device as he stated earlier and wants to comment about something he hasnt even used/owned so he defintely doesnt know the pros and cons
he wants to buy a wp, once he buys one, he can have enough knowledge to comment about the pros and cons since he will have experienced it

no one is forcing you to buy their product :)
your comment is higly flawed and misleading
you usually have better opinions than this,stick to the topic

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely impressed by everything I saw at WWDC. Apple really hit it out of the park with Continuity, interactive notifications, Swift, Metal, HealthKit, HomeKit. Literally no mistakes, awesome stuff. Google I/O is right around the corner, ball in their court. MS really behind now.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The continuity sold me. I am going to love being able to respond to text messages, recieve phone calls, and pick up right where I was on my iMac, iPhone, or iPad. IMO it completly blows MS integration out of the water. I'm very curious to see how Google responds and am somewhat disappointed the all of MS's cards are showing. Just when they finally catch up, Apple makes me want to go full on iOS.

MS is literally 2 years behind Apple/Android and never going to catch up. I'm convinced of that now. People keep talking about MS catching up, but it's not possible when you spot Apple & Google YEARS. It's not as if Apple/Google are going to slow down and allow MS to catch up either. At this point MS would have to pull a miracle out of their hats in the next 12 months or WP is done.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
"Windows Phone isn't a prime focus for Microsoft"
Lolwut? dude they plan to merge all their services and OS's for a unified experience
8.1 is just the start with the new .APPX format which is easy for wp8.1 and w8.1 releases of apps

See......here's where I have a problem..all this talk of continuity with Windows...it's all talk right now with little action..They have a long way to go and little time if they want to be relevant for this.

Will they span the 3 platforms successfully.....I don't think it will be anytime soon..and Apple already is a leg up on them..
Mac

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
See......here's where I have a problem..all this talk of continuity with Windows...it's all talk right now with little action..They have a long way to go and little time if they want to be relevant for this.

Will they span the 3 platforms successfully.....I don't think it will be anytime soon..and Apple already is a leg up on them..
Mac

you do realize ubuntu touch has the same goal in mind and so does apple and google but guess who has a larger majority overall

yeah its microsoft, windows is the most popular desktop and laptop os, the most productive tablet os which is recognised only by corporates and not consumers for now
Xbox is arguably the most popular gaming service and console (xbox one-ps4 gen yet has to prove itself), plus having a windows core in the xbox one means porting windows pc games will be easier than porting to the unix freebsd based ps4(hardware is another issue altogether)
apple is expensive and i dont see OSX taking off as much as windows given it cant be installed officially and stuff on a non-apple computer
hence if you buy their products and accessories you will have to stick to apple only and its not possible for everyone to do that

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
people who talk about OS integration and making calls from your mac and iphone etc honestly seem very misinformed about MS
just fyi, windows 8.1 and wp8.1 are integrated in the same way and supports calls in the same way via bluetooth as well
heres a link to prove my point-
Windows Phone 8 - Bluetooth Pairing with Windows 8.1

its funny how apple "invents" everything and people believe them because they havent seen the same features on other platforms
even symbian and android support something like this

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
That's just it. Apple didn't hit anything out the park. They kept the ball in their park only. If you're entrenched in Apple products iOS8 will have you smiling, but if you only have an iPhone or iPad its not going to make you run out and grab something else Apple or switch from Android or WP. If you don't think MSFT doesn't rival what iOS8 and iOSX can do, then you don't own multiple MSFT products. iCloud made improvements but still lack what OneDrive does. I'll take fluidity over continuity. OneNote, contacts, Xbox music which even with its issues is better than iTunes. Xbox Video has amazing fluidity on all platforms. Like I've stated, metrics indicated iPhone will loose share to WP over the next 3 years. Why do you think that is?? How many iPhone users are also using something running Windows? What did iOS8 do to keep those people.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
That's just it. Apple didn't hit anything out the park. They kept the ball in their park only. If you're entrenched in Apple products iOS8 will have you smiling, but if you only have an iPhone or iPad its not going to make you run out and grab something else Apple or switch from Android or WP. If you don't think MSFT doesn't rival what iOS8 and iOSX can do, then you don't own multiple MSFT products. iCloud made improvements but still lack what OneDrive does. I'll take fluidity over continuity. OneNote, contacts, Xbox music which even with its issues is better than iTunes. Xbox Video has amazing fluidity on all platforms. Like I've stated, metrics indicated iPhone will loose share to WP over the next 3 years. Why do you think that is?? How many iPhone users are also using something running Windows? What did iOS8 do to keep those people.

I fully agree with this. No improvement for iTunes single handedly kills all updates for both Mac and iPhone for a whole lot of people. ITunes is really unbearable especially if you don't have a Mac. And as market share has proven, most computer users are not on Mac.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Xbox music over iTunes...?

That's funny. ITunes works exceptionally well with any iPhone or Mac...the same cannot be said about Xbox and here is a biggie... IOS 8 is just out in beta while Xbox is rtm....give me a break.

I've never had iTunes screw up my music or videos not once,and Xbox can't even load the metadata without a friggin workaround.

Sure Apple will loose some market share,it's bound to happen,but I'll wager they gain more come this release date than Microsoft or Samsung does with their new releases...

I find much of this humorous at best..especially for people in the USA where this release is the most anticipated release ever for them. People are switching from Android to Apple products.I know this for a fact...and I also know WP's are gaining momentum too...and also know they would gain more if it they would fix their issues faster. If folks here bothered to read the suggestion pages,one of the largest request was for Zune not Xbox and was shot down....to me that is what is holding many people back from WP that are using iPhones, everything else they have covered with the Lumina line..and they force this Xbox crap on it...and fwiw....I use iTunes across WP Androids and iPhones without issues from my Mac and from even XP and Vista and Windows 7 pc's and prefer it to Windows Media Center never did it fail to sync or hose my music or video.

ITunes may not be perfect but it's a damnsight better than Xbox on just about every front and if I could choose between them for my 1520 and have the full available of each I would take it over Xbox any day..but..that is just my preferences..and I know it will never happen

Sooner or later Microsoft will wakeup and realize while streaming is okay,it isn't what everyone else wants,we are not all blessed with unlimited data or have 4bars signal 📶...nor do we have access all the time for Wi-Fi...

You folks can make all the excuses in the world for Microsoft and it's Xbox but the world doesn't revolve around it's game consoles no matter how badly they want them to.

Mac

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Xbox music over iTunes...?

That's funny. ITunes works exceptionally well with any iPhone or Mac...the same cannot be said about Xbox and here is a biggie... IOS 8 is just out in beta while Xbox is rtm....give me a break.

I've never had iTunes screw up my music or videos not once,and Xbox can't even load the metadata without a friggin workaround.

Sure Apple will loose some market share,it's bound to happen,but I'll wager they gain more come this release date than Microsoft or Samsung does with their new releases...

I find much of this humorous at best..especially for people in the USA where this release is the most anticipated release ever for them. People are switching from Android to Apple products.I know this for a fact...and I also know WP's are gaining momentum too...and also know they would gain more if it they would fix their issues faster. If folks here bothered to read the suggestion pages,one of the largest request was for Zune not Xbox and was shot down....to me that is what is holding many people back from WP that are using iPhones, everything else they have covered with the Lumina line..and they force this Xbox crap on it...and fwiw....I use iTunes across WP Androids and iPhones without issues from my Mac and from even XP and Vista and Windows 7 pc's and prefer it to Windows Media Center never did it fail to sync or hose my music or video.

ITunes may not be perfect but it's a damnsight better than Xbox on just about every front and if I could choose between them for my 1520 and have the full available of each I would take it over Xbox any day..but..that is just my preferences..and I know it will never happen

Sooner or later Microsoft will wakeup and realize while streaming is okay,it isn't what everyone else wants,we are not all blessed with unlimited data or have 4bars signal 📶...nor do we have access all the time for Wi-Fi...

You folks can make all the excuses in the world for Microsoft and it's Xbox but the world doesn't revolve around it's game consoles no matter how badly they want them to.

Mac
Xbox may not be better but that doesn't equivocate that iTunes sucks any less. ITunes is the heart of the iphone/ipad to mac connection and an easy Bing or Google search can wield you countless iTunes complaints. IOS lacking iTunes overhaul is a kill switch.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Xbox may not be better but that doesn't equivocate that iTunes sucks any less. ITunes is the heart of the iphone/ipad to mac connection and an easy Bing or Google search can wield you countless iTunes complaints. IOS lacking iTunes overhaul is a kill switch.

I know about some of the issues it had with the roll out of IOS 7...I also know most issues were resolved too...and I also know like I said before...IOS 8 is beta,Xbox is rtm...big difference between them. Crap issues by Ota download problems is common place,regardless of the platform it's on..but not as common for the Apple servers..

ITunes may suck in some regards to a person who is a Windows fan,but I know for a fact it is far more usable than Xbox will ever be....unless Microsoft allows a full restore option or allows 3rd party development without the hooks into Xbox..

Mac

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
And yet Apple just bought out Beats....seems they think streaming is pretty serious too. iTunes radio tanked. I agree comparing Zune to Xbox music, which I still use, but we're not comparing those are we? WP is at least making a conscious effort to upgrade the Xbox music experience on WP by shooting out updates almost bimonthly. You say Android is loosing users to Apple, well that might be true in your circle but any statistic would who you quite the opposite. As for your inclination that Apple will do better than WP this next quarter... We'll definitely have to see. WP has multiple launches coming up from new OEMs and new tablets running Windows 8.1. iOS8s success will coincide with the success of the iPhone6.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I know about some of the issues it had with the roll out of IOS 7...I also know most issues were resolved too...and I also know like I said before...IOS 8 is beta,Xbox is rtm...big difference between them. Crap issues by Ota download problems is common place,regardless of the platform it's on..but not as common for the Apple servers..

ITunes may suck in some regards to a person who is a Windows fan,but I know for a fact it is far more usable than Xbox will ever be....unless Microsoft allows a full restore option or allows 3rd party development without the hooks into Xbox..

Mac

You're missing the point. I'm not a windows fan and I'm not saying Xbox music is better. I was an iPhone user and I'm saying iTunes is frustrating like hell and it was not updated in IOS 8 or Yosemite. ITunes being the core of the problem with Apple products that should have been the first thing updated but it wasn't and although Apple put together some decent features they're still not fixing the problems people with their products already have and that is why IOS 8 is unimpressive.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You're missing the point. I'm not a windows fan and I'm not saying Xbox music is better. I was an iPhone user and I'm saying iTunes is frustrating like hell and it was not updated in IOS 8 or Yosemite. ITunes being the core of the problem with Apple products that should have been the first thing updated but it wasn't and although Apple put together some decent features they're still not fixing the problems people with their products already have and that is why IOS 8 is unimpressive.

Okay..I understand �

Mac

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
especially coding an entire os without any open source code etc isnt easy

True, but many would argue that it is extremely stupid. Why spend shareholders' and customers' money implementing something yourself when you can get a decent version for nothing, or at least share the cost with others? Of course, there are areas where you want to differentiate but frankly there are many more where it's not possible to add any worthwhile extra value.

If Microsoft used open source software in those places, think of the resources it would free up to improve their products where it actually matters!

[this is assuming that Microsoft do not make use of any open source code in their products, which may not be true]

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
True, but many would argue that it is extremely stupid. Why spend shareholders' and customers' money implementing something yourself when you can get a decent version for nothing, or at least share the cost with others? Of course, there are areas where you want to differentiate but frankly there are many more where it's not possible to add any worthwhile extra value.

If Microsoft used open source software in those places, think of the resources it would free up to improve their products where it actually matters!

[this is assuming that Microsoft do not make use of any open source code in their products, which may not be true]

fair enough but they do give us quality which is rare these days(hardware wise especially)
people forget that they can do research before buying something and complaining(not directed at you,dont get me wrong :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion