06-18-2014 07:36 AM
118 ... 2345
tools
    I just wanna ask, is sending audio and video messages a big deal in US? I mean, isn't the whole point of messaging that it's silent so you don't have to talk and listen? I've never ever sent an audio or video message, if I feel like talking, I call, if they're not available, I send a text asking to call me back, and I only really use video with my wife if I'm far away from home, and that's rare.
    And WP supports sending a voice note and a video too, it's just two taps away, under 'attach' where is should be. To me, it's a completely useless feature, and quick shortcuts are just taking up space. Anyone care to comment?

---
    Another comment, have you noticed how they're finally not afraid to show that they run M$ apps? When they came to enterprise, Microsoft Office was the first one to show, and OneDrive is the first 3rd party supported cloud storage listed right under iCloud, so in a way, M$ is getting what they want, they are after all a software company, and as a software company you don't want to limit yourself to one system/platform. This means that if by any chance WP doesn't get better, at least the services that M$ provides will continue to grow.
    SwimSwim likes this.
    06-03-2014 10:06 AM
    LMFAO!!! I love how people think IOS is on the cutting edge of os features hahahaha, IOS is behind Android by a ways, the whole lift phone to face to go directly to listen to messages, my note 2 would do that years ago, you could be in a text thread and all you had to do is put your phone to your ear and it would call that person.
    Android has had scrollable notifications for over a year, smart video and smart screen, screen tap codes and gestures!! Apple = copy then sue. But but IOS has a fingerprint scanner, umm so did a laptop I had 8 years ago, but but it has a blood pressure monitor, umm theres been apps that do the same thing for years.

As far as MS goes you cant beat it for overall performance (battery life and smoothness) but is light years behind on what the os has to offer as far as features (not talking about apps) look at what LG and Sammy are doing with android, yes some things are a joke/ gimmick but some of the things are really nice to have and do make for a nice user experience.

Ms does need to step it up asap because once LG and Sammy get there hands on the 805 or 811 snapdragon combined with 4k if Microsoft hasn't closed the gap some its going to be game over.
    This is true of course. What Apple had going for it is that these features are on EVERY new Apple phone and work the same on every device. The fragmentation on Android means that this is hardly true. I have an android phone now and I don't have many of the features you mention. With Apple they will be there right out of the box. The "it just works" mantra from Apple is most certainly true. I really like my Android phone but have to admit that my iPhone never needed the amount of fussing around with stuff that my Android does.
    06-03-2014 10:16 AM
    Is it seriously such a big thing that Android had some of the features first? So what? Android doesn't have live tiles, so are they behind?

Should looks at it as, Apple closed the gap and there are even extra features that are pretty exciting. Newer than Android.
    No matter who's first or not, iOS8 filled in the gap and it is nothing short of positive for consumers.

One thing I do know is MS is taking helluva long time updating ****.
    06-03-2014 10:25 AM
    This is true of course. What Apple had going for it is that these features are on EVERY new Apple phone and work the same on every device. The fragmentation on Android means that this is hardly true. I have an android phone now and I don't have many of the features you mention. With Apple they will be there right out of the box. The "it just works" mantra from Apple is most certainly true. I really like my Android phone but have to admit that my iPhone never needed the amount of fussing around with stuff that my Android does.
    That's not true. Any iPhone more than a year old won't get all the features of the new iOS version. Android by comparison mostly evey feature besides Nexus exclusives like Google Now Launcher and KitKat Dialer worn make it but everything else in KitKat hits all devices. I think that is overlooked often in regards to Android and iOS updates.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    06-03-2014 10:41 AM
    Android by comparison mostly evey feature besides Nexus exclusives like Google Now Launcher and KitKat Dialer worn make it but everything else in KitKat hits all devices.
    Yeah great, but you are missing this that don't all Android devices get updates. As far as I know Samsung Galaxy S3 won't be getting KitKat and this phone is about 6 months newer that iPhone 4S. And I would still rather have update that is a bit "crippled" than no update at all ;) . I don't like Apple, would never buy, I would consider buying Nexus it but that with updates is fact that I can not overlook.
    06-03-2014 10:57 AM
    Yeah great, but you are missing this that don't all Android devices get updates. As far as I know Samsung Galaxy S3 won't be getting KitKat and this phone is about 6 months newer that iPhone 4S. And I would still rather have update that is a bit "crippled" than no update at all ;) . I don't like Apple, would never buy, I would consider buying Nexus it but that with updates is fact that I can not overlook.
    The Galaxy S3 international version is not getting KitKat because it has 1GB of RAM. All other versions of the S3 are getting KitKat (they have 2GB of RAM).

06-03-2014 11:06 AM
    Hh, it's funny that phone needs 2 GB of RAM to recive update that brings optimization for devices with 512 MB of RAM :D . Oh same goes for Galaxy Nexus, official because of chipset but ...

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk
    06-03-2014 11:25 AM
    The Galaxy S3 international version is not getting KitKat because it has 1GB of RAM. All other versions of the S3 are getting KitKat (they have 2GB of RAM) should the carrier allow it, which they probably won't.

Fixed that for you (;
    06-03-2014 11:27 AM
    Hh, it's funny that phone needs 2 GB of RAM to recive update that brings optimization for devices with 512 MB of RAM :D . Oh same goes for Galaxy Nexus, official because of chipset but ...

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk
    The phones are 2 years old. Most of the people who had an S3 will or is going to get an S5. You also have to consider that Touchwiz takes up RAM as well. But most of the models of the S3 are getting KitKat and that is a good thing. My phone for example, I have a Droid RAZR M with 1GB of RAM got an update to 4.4.2. 2 weeks ago. So Android devices aren't bad on updates loan they used to.

06-03-2014 11:35 AM
    Fixed that for you (;
    They are carriers don't block updates. The North America Version of the S3 is getting KitKat soon. I can't speak for other countries.

06-03-2014 11:36 AM
    They are carriers don't block updates. The North America Version of the S3 is getting KitKat soon. I can't speak for other countries.

I never said they block them, but they do have to approve them. If the number of people who still own an S3 is too low, AT&T won't bother letting it through.
    06-03-2014 11:49 AM
    I never said they block them, but they do have to approve them. If the number of people who still own an S3 is too low, AT&T won't bother letting it through.
    Disagree strongly. They don't just drop updates for devices for reasons like that. They never have.

06-03-2014 12:04 PM
    Disagree strongly. They don't just drop updates for devices for reasons like that. They never have.

Right. The Lumia 810 was definitely not confirmed to get Lumia Black + Update 3 due to low sales. That totally never happened /s
    tgp and Moiz Mian like this.
    06-03-2014 12:09 PM
    Right. The Lumia 810 was definitely not confirmed to get Lumia Black + Update 3 due to low sales. That totally never happened /s
    On the same token, I'm interested in seeing whether or not AT&T's 920 gets WP8.1. There are a lot (relatively speaking) of them out there. But then by the time AT&T gets around to pushing the update they'll have been on the market about 2 years, which means that the first users will be upgrading to new devices.
    06-03-2014 12:15 PM

oh really kitkat on s3 but samsung said that kitkat on s3 got an issue for storage because it is huge
    06-03-2014 12:32 PM
    I have posted a new thread about iOS 8 on imore.com, I will share it here too
    Will iOS 8 going to loos its Minimal Design? - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Will iOS 8 going to lose its Minimal Design?

Simplicity and Minimal Design have been iOS Priority from the first day
    But after WWDC2014 I found iOS Priority has been changed to Function.
    There is no any Antagonism between Simplicity and Function, But now
    I think Apple is ready to Sacrifice some Minimal Design aspects of iOS for its Function, if it will be needed.
    06-03-2014 01:07 PM
    Wow, WP8.1 already feels outdated.
    The WP team needs to pick things up real fast. No long waits before updates, huge features in GDRs etc. It took a year for apple to accomplish this much (took MS 2 years to go from WP8 to WP8.1). Sad thing is, nothing would change in the WP update process anytime soon
    As an ex iPhone user, let me tell you, innovation was not something they were excelling in with their frequent "updates". This is the first update in a long time that I've actually seen them do something impressive. One of the reasons I left iPhone, was because they would add one feature, and call it revolutionary.
    SwimSwim likes this.
    06-03-2014 01:12 PM
    So know you switched from talking about Android to Windows Phone? You guys love to move goal posts around here.

06-03-2014 01:22 PM
    oh really kitkat on s3 but samsung said that kitkat on s3 got an issue for storage because it is huge
    No that was the international S3.

06-03-2014 01:22 PM
    So know you switched from talking about Android to Windows Phone? You guys love to move goal posts around here.

I'm describing the way that carriers treat both Android and WP. Only iOS gets special treatment. The carriers don't go "oh, we'll put up arbitrary rules because it's WP". If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. Its as simple as that. I don't see how which OS I'm talking about is "moving goal posts" but whatever.
    06-03-2014 01:46 PM
    I'm describing the way that carriers treat both Android and WP. Only iOS gets special treatment. The carriers don't go "oh, we'll put up arbitrary rules because it's WP". If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. Its as simple as that. I don't see how which OS I'm talking about is "moving goal posts" but whatever.
    You were specifically talking about Android and updates then brought up a Windows Phone. The S3 is getting KitKat and at that was a LOT more popular than the 810. It sold millions in 2012, hell I know people who still use an S3 because it was (and still is) a good phone. Though in terms of specs it would be considered midrange but the hardware still holds up well because of the 2GB of RAM.

06-03-2014 01:59 PM
    Havent paid much attention to the iOS8, but it sounds like it was a pretty drastic overhaul. I am sticking with WP but MS isn't doing the best job of giving people reasons to stay on board.
    A895 and Orange Cat like this.
    06-03-2014 02:09 PM
    You were specifically talking about Android and updates then brought up a Windows Phone. The S3 is getting KitKat and at that was a LOT more popular than the 810. It sold millions in 2012, hell I know people who still use an S3 because it was (and still is) a good phone. Though in terms of specs it would be considered midrange but the hardware still holds up well because of the 2GB of RAM.

You're missing the point. You said that carriers have never stopped supporting a phone due to low sales and I provided an example of a time that they did. It doesn't matter if 50 million were sold a day, if carriers determine that there aren't enough of an install base to bother testing it, they won't.
    06-03-2014 02:11 PM
    Windows Phone : Oct/Nov 2010 - Current.
    iOS : June 2007 - Current.

Are you really surprised WP is playing catch-up? People don't give WP and BB10 credit for how far they've came in such a short period of time.
    Maybe because you're engaging in a little bit of revisionist history.

Windows Mobile 2003 : June 23, 2003 (1st Windows-based smartphone OS)
    Windows Mobile 5 : May 9, 2005
    Windows Mobile 6: February 12, 2007
    Windows Mobile 6.1 : April 1, 2008
    Windows Mobile 6.5: May 11, 2009
    Windows Phone 7: November 8, 2010
    Windows Phone 8: October 29, 2012
    Windows Phone 8.1 : April 2, 2014

That's not including PocketPC 2000 released in 2000 that was the foundation for everything that came afterwards.

To claim that Microsoft has come so far in such a short time is laughable.
    A895 likes this.
    06-03-2014 02:28 PM
    You're missing the point. You said that carriers have never stopped supporting a phone due to low sales and I provided an example of a time that they did. It doesn't matter if 50 million were sold a day, if carriers determine that there aren't enough of an install base to bother testing it, they won't.
    I'll take your word for it.

06-03-2014 02:29 PM
118 ... 2345