iOS8 is overkill!

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to like that the time frame exists. You don't even have to buy WP. You're free to buy what you wish. I merely pointed out the time differences to use a little common sense. This is a fast moving industry. Microsoft can't time warp years of development and magically catch up to iOS or Android. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is. I haven't heard any excuses from them...

Don't worry, I'm already aware of the fact that I 'can' buy what I wish. I don't need you telling me that. ;).
MS was responsible for WM wasn't it? So they do have a lot of experience in the mobile world . Yet WP7 and 8 lacked features expected on a smartphone. You don't have to like it, it is what it is.
I like WP and will continue to support it, but the truth remains; they are slow compared to the competition. WP8.1 was due last year. If it did come out last year, WP would have definitely been in a better position than it is in today

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Looking at some of the stuff from the conference...

The improvements in Mail are pretty awesome. Actionable notifications are decent.

iCloud and Siri adding functionality, but OneDrive and Cortana are still better.

But man... Swift replacing Objective C is HUGE. Wow.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok checked all features in IOS 8 and still only useful thing are actionable notification. To have Mac integration I would still be missing something even if I buy iPhone, that's Mac ;). Other things are not so interesting.
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad OS but I also isn't something that would make me pay so much for a phone.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Now I want to have macbook and iphone now... :(

Macbook now can using phone calling, texting, continue typing an unfinished email,... from iphone/ipad.
Technically... If you're working on macbook and need an iphone/ipad feature, you just use it on macbook!!!
You don't even need to connect your iphone/ipad to macbook via USB cable...
OSX now have an Aero-like UI and Widget support. Those features that windows used to have...
Messenger on OSX now support all skype-like features and even more...

Meanwhile, my Lumia520 can't do anything with my Surface pro 2...
And Windows8.1 don't even have a Notification Center!
Skype can't even show preview of sending photos and I can't even make a group call on WP8.1 !!!!!!!!!

Microsoft are too slow again!

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The gaming comparison isn't as valid. They've been in development long before initial release. Just cause one company brought something later doesn't mean they haven't spent time on it. Windows Phone was a start from scratch. Same as BB10.

Exactly. And BB10 was released even later than WP, yet it's feature list is almost as huge(picture password, ability to interact with notifications from the lockscreen, actionable notifications, more action center controls etc). I do get where you're coming from though, but some things should have been on WP from the get go

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok checked all features in IOS 8 and still only useful thing are actionable notification. To have Mac integration I would still be missing something even if I buy iPhone, that's Mac ;). Other things are not so interesting.
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad OS but I also isn't something that would make me pay so much for a phone.
True, my biggest gripe with iPhones...the price.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
After watching the entire thing, I've changed from unimpressed to mildly impressed. Its sad that they're just now getting predictive text, but I guess better severely late than never.

Most of this stuff seems to only work if you have a Mac, except for their Cloud storage, which is also too late to make much of an impact. Actionable notifications and 3rd party keyboards are really the only thing that impresses me.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya ios 8 copied android diktat that's why Apple enter into agreement with Google not to sue each other.anyway great thing for Apple users.Apple has nailed it this time.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to have this on my iPad. The reason I didn't get a Surface was the massive iOS ecosystem and I also like to see variety in the devices I use. Having a Windows Phone and a Surface is as boring to me as having an iPhone and an iPad. My future with the iPad is very bright indeed :)

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, I'm already aware of the fact that I 'can' buy what I wish. I don't need you telling me that. ;).
MS was responsible for WM wasn't it? So they do have a lot of experience in the mobile world . Yet WP7 and 8 lacked features expected on a smartphone. You don't have to like it, it is what it is.
I like WP and will continue to support it, but the truth remains; they are slow compared to the competition. WP8.1 was due last year. If it did come out last year, WP would have definitely been in a better position than it is in today

Yeah, Microsoft has themselves to blame for not taking the iPhone seriously and continuing WinMo, but that's an old discussion. :p

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
apple to me could afford not to catch up with android ASAP because they knew people could jail break it, if im missing a feature when i had my iphone, i searched ways of getting it and 90% of the time it was available on cydia, this meant i didn't have to leave the OS to get a feature i needed.
But with windows phone, i can't do that, i have to move OS if i want that particular feature. im fine with no jailbreaks being aloud and stuff like that on windows phone but in order for me to stay with the OS.
i need to know that features that are required come as soon as possible. e.g replying from other apps has been avaliable on cydia since ios 3 i think and through bitesms on cydia, on windows phone there is no other way of getting it, so because of that my expectation is now i expect to see it between the first GDR or the second one.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just saw this on wmpoweruser.com

1) Photos app and iCloud Photo Library: This new iOS 8 feature will allow users to take photos and videos anywhere between iOS devices. There are some really neat photo editing features and the edits will also be updated across devices.

In WP8.1: The Windows Phone Photos app includes not only OneDrive back-up, which synchronizes photos from other Windows and Windows Phones with the same account, but also integrates 3rd party libraries from any developer who cares to code one, including at present Facebook and Twitter.

2) iMessage: You can now tap to talk and it allows you to share your voice and the same simple gesture also works for sharing videos and photos within Messages. Also, now you can choose to share your current location from within Messages for an hour, a day or longer.

In WP8.1: There is no built-in messaging app, but you have Microsoft owned Skype, which if course has a much wider reach than iMessage. While the user experience is still lacking, Microsoft is working to improve integration and make it a slicker experience.

3) HealthKit: This is a brand new feature in iOS8. Health app will gather the information you choose from your various health apps and fitness devices, and provides you with a clear and current overview in one place.

In WP8.1: There is a new app called Bing Health and Fitness which can provide similar experience. The big difference here is the lack of 3rd party apps support in the Bing app.

4) Apple?s QuickType keyboard: QuickType understands the way you communicate, suggesting favorite phrases, so you can write entire sentences with just a few taps.

In WP8.1: Windows Phone has SmartFlow keyboard which offers this word predictions already. Windows Phone could benefit from supporting 3rd party keyboards however.

5) Family Sharing: This allows users to communicate and share purchases, photos and calendars within the same household. Family members can browse and download each other?s iTunes?, iBooks? or App Store purchases. Up to six members can participate, each with their own Apple ID.

In WP8.1: Windows Phone has a cool feature called Family Room which does almost most of the above except the iTunes part. Being able to share app store purchases with family members is however a great feature.

6) iCloud Drive: You can store documents of any type can be safely stored, accessed and edited across your devices. Make edits on one device and the most up-to-date version of your documents will be available across all devices.

In WP8.1: Windows Phone has OneDrive. OneDrive is much more comprehensive cloud storage solution than iCloud Drive without any doubt.

7) Enterprise: iOS 8 offers expanded security and management improvements as well as new productivity features, including an expanded level of data protection for key built-in apps.

In WP8.1: Microsoft has added a huge set of enterprise features that Apple have added in iOS for years. Microsoft?s Intune service is being updated every few weeks, so Microsoft won?t lag much in this space.

8) Interactive notifications, quick access to key contacts:

In WP8.1: Microsoft has just added notifications center for the first time in their OS. I?m sure Interactive notifications will come only in the next big release. And quick access to contacts is really not a problem as you pin them on your Start screen.

9) Extended Spotlight capabilities : It give you results beyond what?s on your device, including articles from Wikipedia, findings from the news and results from places nearby

In WP8.1: Cortana and Bing offers much better search experience.

10) Cand Mac: You can Handoff to start an activity on one device and finish on another, along with Instant Hotspot and the ability to make and receive calls and send SMS and MMS messages from your Mac or iPad.

In WP8.1: Microsoft is completely absent in this department. Given the fact that both its mobile and desktop OS shares same core, I expected this continuity feature on Windows before iOS/Mac. Kudos to Apple for waking up Microsoft, I hope Microsoft does this continuity thing.

Comparing The Top 10 Features Of New Apple iOS 8 With Microsoft Windows Phone OS 8.1 | WMPoweruser

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
windows phone 8.1 turned out to be something big and unexpected with many improvements, new features and so on. but there are some features i would like to see in order to keep the hype and momentum of windows phone 8.1 going. we need something or anything we can get that reduce the hype ios 8 is now receiving. imagine on CNN they are talking about feature like actionable notification, family/ room, always on siri like they are the new apples innovation.
please vote for these features and share with as many people as you can.
actionable notification, always on cortana, picture password – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
Wow, WP8.1 already feels outdated.
The WP team needs to pick things up real fast. No long waits before updates, huge features in GDRs etc. It took a year for apple to accomplish this much (took MS 2 years to go from WP8 to WP8.1). Sad thing is, nothing would change in the WP update process anytime soon

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
windows phone 8.1 turned out to be something big and unexpected with many improvements, new features and so on. but there are some features i would like to see in order to keep the hype and momentum of windows phone 8.1 going. we need something or anything we can get that reduce the hype ios 8 is now receiving. imagine on CNN they are talking about feature like actionable notification, family/ room, always on siri like they are the new apples innovation.
please vote for these features and share with as many people as you can.
actionable notification, always on cortana, picture password – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Apple is implementing some of the best features of its competitors. Definitely a smart move on their part, giving people fewer reasons to leave and more reasons to pick up a Mac in addition to an iPhone.

I still prefer Microsoft's approach to things, however. I'm willing to be patient with Windows Phone.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yet with all this overkill, metrics indicate that iOS will loose market share to WP. Productivity and enginuity aren't Apples problems, it's affordability, and it's in markets like Asia and Europe. iOS8 is a pleasant update, but I think WP knew that it would be, so while iOS8 for develpers will drop later this month, WP8.1 which is pretty much still in developers preview will get updates like today. Expect another update, this one fairly big to come either right after or right before the official upgrade is made available. Now they have seen what iOS8 is about, they can tweek 8.1 a little and still have it appear as the official OS update, right as the 930 and W8 get released, not to mention Lenovo and other OEMs later in the year. All is all it works out well for both enterprises, since we know it's all going to culminate around the holidays on what's the best bang for your buck. That's a battle iOS is loosing now.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yet with all this overkill, metrics indicate that iOS will loose market share to WP. Productivity and enginuity aren't Apples problems, it's affordability, and it's in markets like Asia and Europe. iOS8 is a pleasant update, but I think WP knew that it would be, so while iOS8 for develpers will drop later this month, WP8.1 which is pretty much still in developers preview will get updates like today. Expect another update, this one fairly big to come either right after or right before the official upgrade is made available. Now they have seen what iOS8 is about, they can tweek 8.1 a little and still have it appear as the official OS update, right as the 930 and W8 get released, not to mention Lenovo and other OEMs later in the year. All is all it works out well for both enterprises, since we know it's all going to culminate around the holidays on what's the best bang for your buck. That's a battle iOS is loosing now.

I'm not sure if that's all the big a problem for iOS because I think they are consciously choosing not to compete in that area. It's not a battle that they are trying to win.

Apple is near their saturation point, but they continue to make a lot of money because their customers are loyal and will continue to repurchase Apple products.

I don't really see Apple as WP's big competitor. We're really competing with Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12