iOS8 is overkill!

d_abbatelli

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Now I want to have macbook and iphone now... :(

Macbook now can using phone calling, texting, continue typing an unfinished email,... from iphone/ipad.
Technically... If you're working on macbook and need an iphone/ipad feature, you just use it on macbook!!!
You don't even need to connect your iphone/ipad to macbook via USB cable...
OSX now have an Aero-like UI and Widget support. Those features that windows used to have...
Messenger on OSX now support all skype-like features and even more...

Meanwhile, my Lumia520 can't do anything with my Surface pro 2...
And Windows8.1 don't even have a Notification Center!
Skype can't even show preview of sending photos and I can't even make a group call on WP8.1 !!!!!!!!!

Microsoft are too slow again!

This.

I'm sorry, but this is what I would call the "three screens" vision. iPhone, iPad, Mac perfectly integrated.
Meanwhile, top of the integration reached by WP is what... Project your screen?
Sorry, but while MS announces, Apple delivers...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh my bad, I misread that. I liked the new messaging app, the actionable notifications, the ability to listen to voice messages by just placing the phone on your ear(I guess it's still part of the first 2 points), the integration with MAC is amazing...

I saw many similarities with the current Messaging app on WP8.1 and the new Messaging app on iOS 8. Only real new features I see are the new photos flyover thingy and the raising to the ear to listen to voice messages.

As for the Mac integration: While I agree it's awesome, hasn't this been all but confirmed to be coming with Windows 9/Threshold in 2015? Same with actionable notifications (they were rumored for WP 8.1, but weren't completed in time for release). April 2015, for that matter, so only a few months after iOS 8 goes live. Yes, I realize a few months is eons in the tech world, but not too bad either.

So yeah, I agree that iOS 8 adds some cool new features, but I wouldn't say WP8.1 or Windows 8.1 are obsolete. Missing a feature or two? Definitely. Is it nearly as bad as it was prior to WP8.1? Far from it. Especially when one takes into account that iOS 8 takes many pointers from Android and WP8.1, meaning Apple has reached a point where they're no longer innovators: They're merely playing catch-up.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the actionable notifications. I would say I want it for windows phone, but then all the fanboys would argue with me about how I don't need it because we don't need things from other devices. (I do need it). Btw, iPhone 4 got dropped now, not supported for IOS 8.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yea that...and they added an always on feature for Siri, just say hey Siri and she listens just like Google now

Only when plugged in. Useful, yes, but not a major game changer. Also: Always listening Google Now is only on certain Android handsets with compatible hardware. I believe that Joe Belfiore even said they hoped to bring this always-listening functionality to compatible-chipsets in a future OS update.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
iOS 8 is impressive, the ball is in Microsoft's court, are they obsessively serious about Windows Phone? With Nutella in charge, I'm not so sure, but we'll have to wait and see. Given that Myerson is in charge, it's possible that Threshold will bring in a lot of "bleeding edge" features to the Microsoft mobile landscape, especially if rumours around Goldfinger are of any indication.

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 is impressive, the ball is in Microsoft's court, are they obsessively serious about Windows Phone? With Nutella in charge, I'm not so sure, but we'll have to wait and see. Given that Myerson is in charge, it's possible that Threshold will bring in a lot of "bleeding edge" features to the Microsoft mobile landscape, especially if rumours around Goldfinger are of any indication.
LOL Nutella, now I'm gonna finally remember his name.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

And I think that's the plan. One must keep in mind that several features announced in iOS 8 today were in early builds of 8.1, and a few even made it as far as the SDK before they officially announced 8.1 and had to cut a few features due to time constraints.

I hope they'll come with GDR updates, and they'll definitely be ready by the next major OS update "Threshold" in 2015. I know it's painful to wait, but Microsoft is finally getting things together and gaining momentum. They're on their toes now more than ever before.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
iOS does indeed take lots of hints from WP8.1...like incorporating Shazam into Siri, Swiftkey, Swype is also going to be available in iOS 8 etc....i'm sure there are a lot more. WP8.1 is a great effort by MS but Apple reacts really fast...Hopefully MS will be able to bring new stuff with Update 1, 2 etc.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
3) HealthKit: This is a brand new feature in iOS8. Health app will gather the information you choose from your various health apps and fitness devices, and provides you with a clear and current overview in one place.

Bing Health and Fitness is backed by Microsoft Health Vault which integrates with a number of services and devices (including Fitbit, medical imaging services and devices like scales and blood pressure monitors). I understand that Microsoft also has a standing in the health community, providing enterprise services, so it would be great if they can leverage that and expand Health Vault and the Windows/Windows Phone apps to give you complete view of your official medical history across practitioners and hospitals. This seemed to be were Apple was hoping to go.

10) Cand Mac: You can Handoff to start an activity on one device and finish on another, along with Instant Hotspot and the ability to make and receive calls and send SMS and MMS messages from your Mac or iPad.

1. Handoff: From Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 there is a high level of OS settings sync between devices as well as integration between the 'native' apps (like shared tabs in IE) and devs are encouraged to extend this syncing to their own apps. This means there is a level of 'leave off on desktop pick up on phone' or vice versa (take OneNote as an example with its syncing notes) BUT one big thing that is absent is draft emails and Apple's implementation is nicer in that it seems the OS keeps track of what apps are open and exactly where you are in those apps so you can jump right in on any device.

2. Instant Hotspot: Windows 8.1 lets you pair your Windows Phone 8 device via Bluetooth and once that's done the device always appears in your WiFi list, if you 'connect' to it then it turns on Internet sharing on the device and connects. Unfortunately it only works about 30-40% of the time for me.

3. Calls, SMS, iMessage: I wish this would come to Windows and I wish Skype could work like iMessage. I know iMessage has had it's issues but compared to Skype messaging it feels seamless and natural.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Bing Health and Fitness is backed by Microsoft Health Vault which integrates with a number of services and devices (including Fitbit, medical imaging services and devices like scales and blood pressure monitors). I understand that Microsoft also has a standing in the health community, providing enterprise services, so it would be great if they can leverage that and expand Health Vault and the Windows/Windows Phone apps to give you complete view of your official medical history across practitioners and hospitals. This seemed to be were Apple was hoping to go.

1. Handoff: From Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 there is a high level of OS settings sync between devices as well as integration between the 'native' apps (like shared tabs in IE) and devs are encouraged to extend this syncing to their own apps. This means there is a level of 'leave off on desktop pick up on phone' or vice versa (take OneNote as an example with its syncing notes) BUT one big thing that is absent is draft emails and Apple's implementation is nicer in that it seems the OS keeps track of what apps are open and exactly where you are in those apps so you can jump right in on any device.

2. Instant Hotspot: Windows 8.1 lets you pair your Windows Phone 8 device via Bluetooth and once that's done the device always appears in your WiFi list, if you 'connect' to it then it turns on Internet sharing on the device and connects. Unfortunately it only works about 30-40% of the time for me.

3. Calls, SMS, iMessage: I wish this would come to Windows and I wish Skype could work like iMessage. I know iMessage has had it's issues but compared to Skype messaging it feels seamless and natural.

Yeah I was really expecting the same kind of Continuity feature to be present on Windows first (tbh the way Apple have implemented it is fantastic, but the fact that you need a Mac costing an arm and a leg to do it, meh :p ) - it's this kind of functionality I am looking forward to in future versions of Windows. I think once MS 'catches up' Windows 8.1, Windows Phone and Xbox Ones' features to the same level (same kernel, same code, similar UI) then we will start to see some awesome features and other stuff shine through. They're just doing the groundwork now so they can move forward later on at a faster rate. Hopefully it's not too late, though.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
As far as I can see, almost everything new in ios8 comes from Android and other services you almost certainly use already. Actionable notifications, intents, composing email across devices, Dropbox, third party keyboards are things I use everyday on my Moto G. Most of them worked on my HTC Desire in 2010. It's good that Apple are finally catching up as it gives us more choices, but there's really very little new here. It highlights just how far behind Apple have fallen.

The most interesting additions are the new enterprise device management tools. They could help Apple get further in the corporate market.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone : Oct/Nov 2010 - Current.
iOS : June 2007 - Current.

Are you really surprised WP is playing catch-up? People don't give WP and BB10 credit for how far they've came in such a short period of time.

And before that Windows Mobile for years and years.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It highlights just how far behind Apple have fallen.

I think that's being unfair. I didn't watch the presentation but
  1. I don't think Apple is claiming this stuff is new
  2. Saying they 'have fallen behind' just because there are features iOS doesn't have that Android/WP/BB/etc. already have discounts the things iOS and iPhone has that others don't (a basic example, the fingerprint scanner implementation was new to this segment of phones)
  3. Apple is building the hardware and software here but in terms of innovation they are being held up against the combo of Google and all third party OEMS. Apple can't be 'innovative' or the first in everything all at once and when they aren't it doesn't necessarily mean they have stopped being innovative or fallen behind the others
  4. It's not just having these features, it's how they're implemented. Composing email is probably a bad example in this context because I'm sure with my iPhone 4 I could save drafts to the gmail server and then pick them up from Mail in OSX but this 'new' feature from Apple is about picking up your work seamlessly across multiple apps and devices.

Apple may not always do things first and when they do them they often aren't as customisable or 'power user' as other platforms BUT they are frequently very user friendly and work 'straight out of the box' just like you'd expect and to me that's innovation as well.

Apple aren't special in the sense that they aren't the only ones innovating and they certainly aren't immune to issues/buggy software/etc. but I also think 'innovating' is more than just thinking up the next new feature and I think Apple are still in the lead pack (along with Google, Samsung, etc.).

I see a lot of what Microsoft is doing in the same light too, these are things I like about Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
IOS 8 makes tha already pefect apple os More perfect and is now leading and many steps ahead of Android WP and other mobile os as they give u now almost most simplest and fastest way to use a Phone.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is how I read the forums in here:
- 2010: NoDo will change everything
- 2011: Mango will change everything
- 2012: Windows Phone 8 will change everything
- 2013: Windows Phone 8.1 will change everything
- 2014: Threshold will change everything

I will agree that WP8.1 is a great step forward but the thing is Android and iOS are not stale and waiting for WP to catch up. With 3 updates a year, Microsoft has the opportunity and the duty to offer some iOS8 features without us having to wait for WP9.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This is how I read the forums in here:
- 2010: NoDo will change everything
- 2011: Mango will change everything
- 2012: Windows Phone 8 will change everything
- 2013: Windows Phone 8.1 will change everything
- 2014: Threshold will change everything

I will agree that WP8.1 is a great step forward but the thing is Android and iOS are not stale and waiting for WP to catch up. With 3 updates a year, Microsoft has the opportunity and the duty to offer some iOS8 features without us having to wait for WP9.

Boom! I don't see why we have to wait for another year to have a "dev preview" of what came out this year on other devices.
MS has to step up and deliver in the GDRs rather than saving everything for a big announcement in a year to come.
I'll give the WP team some credit though; they've really been listening to users(files app etc) but they just have to be faster with the execution of things. That's my only gripe with them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)