iOS8 is overkill!

nalle76

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Siri getting support for 22 new languages, working in every region already.... Cortana needs quickly to add language support and at minimum let people use it without being forced to set up their phones strictly to us settings.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Looking at some of the stuff from the conference...

The improvements in Mail are pretty awesome. Actionable notifications are decent.

iCloud and Siri adding functionality, but OneDrive and Cortana are still better.

But man... Swift replacing Objective C is HUGE. Wow.

This!!! , this will shutup excuses like we changed from WP7 to WP8 ( it was major kernel change to NT ) lol.. !

vlmirano

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
hmm no I don't think so. first off, WP8.1 has the Word Flow. Cortana has the music identifier before Siri had one. Multitasking, I think WP8 has that ability already. onedrive has better sync between PC and windows phone. also the integration of PC and phone is also evident with Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 so I dunno how IOS8 was able to let say "beat" WP8.1 of course that is considering that Windows Phone 8 was only out for like 2 to 3 years I think. yeah let's admit that Windows Phone OS is playing catch up with IOS and Android but knowing how fast they were able to improve their system is impressive. Of course its easy to base things on sales and stuff. but the thing is, other people are not well informed when it comes to what WP and Nokia can offer that they think its still the Nokia of old days or the "boring" Microsoft. and other just won't admit that a new OS or hardware is looking pretty slick and probably better than what they have in their hands or pockets because that will invalidate their claims that they are the superior OS and hardware. then there's the issue of apps, well how many years did Apple and Android took to reach as many as millions of apps compared to the number of apps that WP has and continue to increase each day? just my two cents. of course everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
hmm no I don't think so. first off, WP8.1 has the Word Flow. Cortana has the music identifier before Siri had one. Multitasking, I think WP8 has that ability already. onedrive has better sync between PC and windows phone. also the integration of PC and phone is also evident with Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 so I dunno how IOS8 was able to let say "beat" WP8.1 of course that is considering that Windows Phone 8 was only out for like 2 to 3 years I think. yeah let's admit that Windows Phone OS is playing catch up with IOS and Android but knowing how fast they were able to improve their system is impressive. Of course its easy to base things on sales and stuff. but the thing is, other people are not well informed when it comes to what WP and Nokia can offer that they think its still the Nokia of old days or the "boring" Microsoft. and other just won't admit that a new OS or hardware is looking pretty slick and probably better than what they have in their hands or pockets because that will invalidate their claims that they are the superior OS and hardware. then there's the issue of apps, well how many years did Apple and Android took to reach as many as millions of apps compared to the number of apps that WP has and continue to increase each day? just my two cents. of course everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Regardless of the fact that I always thought the "Microsoft is just new to the game" argument is not valid, as we should measure the quality of a product based on the competition, and Microsoft actually isn't new to the game, as they released a phone OS when nobody knew an iPhone would ever exist (Windows Mobile), I kept on buying Windows Phone devices after using Windows Mobile for years.

But the time Microsoft needs to catch up is just enormous. Of course, Windows Phone 8.1 is much of an improvement, but Windows Phone 8 didn't offer more than Windows Phone 7 two years before feature-wise.

Personally i have reached the point I'm just tired of waiting. And being behind won't make people switch to this platform either.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Now I want to have macbook and iphone now... :(

Macbook now can using phone calling, texting, continue typing an unfinished email,... from iphone/ipad.
Technically... If you're working on macbook and need an iphone/ipad feature, you just use it on macbook!!!
You don't even need to connect your iphone/ipad to macbook via USB cable...
OSX now have an Aero-like UI and Widget support. Those features that windows used to have...
Messenger on OSX now support all skype-like features and even more...

Meanwhile, my Lumia520 can't do anything with my Surface pro 2...
And Windows8.1 don't even have a Notification Center!
Skype can't even show preview of sending photos and I can't even make a group call on WP8.1 !!!!!!!!!

Microsoft are too slow again!

I guess it is convenient to be able to answer your phone trough computer, otherwise I use a computer for 99 other things then just checking notifications (which are extremely distracting on my phone and tablet already, and I still get email notifications in W8), so I'd never check that. Aero-like transparency
is nice, but distracting at best, and there's more to the computer then transparency and mail. Snapping windows is extremely important to me, and navigating OS with keyboard, rather then gestures, which are usually inconsistent on different devices, unlike keyboard shortcuts that have been more or less unchanged since I can remember (Windows 95)
Cloud integration is great, something that windows 8 had and 8.1 made even better (if not perfect). You can continue writing an unfinished mail from your phone on your pc, because it gets saved in drafts.
To me OSX is very unappealing, with poor window management, menu bars on top of the screen instead of on top of the window they belong to, maximize works in a weird way, there's no windows snapping, icons on the desktop are scattered randomly, dock is horrible, especially once you have more things there, it looks cluttered and ugly, at least with new icons it will probably look better, but that's the problem, it's all about how it looks then functionality.

Recently I had to create a simple shell script on OSX, it took me way longer then it should because:
- right clicking on desktop doesn't give me an option to create new text document
- once I finally found an app used as a notepad (I had to google it), I had hard time figuring out where the special characters are $ / ! @... because keyboards are unmarked and keyboard layout is not standard (I know Slovene keyboard layout by heart, and even though that mac was set to slovene keyboard, I was still lost)
- I think I didn't even find a way to save the file as .sh, so in the end I used terminal to 'touch script.sh' to create a new file that I edited later somehow.

In the end it worked, but I was googling how to perform simplest tasks half the time. I started with Windows 3.1 and moved my way up to 8.1 and things were always logical to me and were where they should be, even when I upgraded to W8. And I find Ubuntu just as simple to use, yet I had problems with OSX. I guess if I were using macs for last 10 years I'd be used to it, but if someone gave me a choice between a macbook and a nice sleek windows laptop, I'd take windows in a heartbeat.
I don't think M$ is slow with it's desktop OS, especially since they made it so you can run pretty much the same app on PC, tablet and phone with minimal change in the code required, I think that's very advanced, people are just too afraid to give W8(.1) a chance.
With WP they are slow a little, but what's there, works great. Cortana came very late to the party, yet from what I've read, it's better and more useful than Siri, for example.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Boom! I don't see why we have to wait for another year to have a "dev preview" of what came out this year on other devices.
MS has to step up and deliver in the GDRs rather than saving everything for a big announcement in a year to come.
I'll give the WP team some credit though; they've really been listening to users(files app etc) but they just have to be faster with the execution of things. That's my only gripe with them

I've come to the point in my life when I rather wait for a thing a bit longer, and that thing is higher quality because of that.
The slide keyboard they made was also late to the (Android) party, but it's near perfect (for supported languages at least).

It's a good thing that you can buy iPhone, Android based phone or WP phone, all in the same store, all there so you have more choice. No one is forcing us to buy anything really, it's all our choice in the end, and if you're not happy, you can get the other one.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
LMFAO!!! I love how people think IOS is on the cutting edge of os features hahahaha, IOS is behind Android by a ways, the whole lift phone to face to go directly to listen to messages, my note 2 would do that years ago, you could be in a text thread and all you had to do is put your phone to your ear and it would call that person.
Android has had scrollable notifications for over a year, smart video and smart screen, screen tap codes and gestures!! Apple = copy then sue. But but IOS has a fingerprint scanner, umm so did a laptop I had 8 years ago, but but it has a blood pressure monitor, umm theres been apps that do the same thing for years.

As far as MS goes you cant beat it for overall performance (battery life and smoothness) but is light years behind on what the os has to offer as far as features (not talking about apps) look at what LG and Sammy are doing with android, yes some things are a joke/ gimmick but some of the things are really nice to have and do make for a nice user experience.

Ms does need to step it up asap because once LG and Sammy get there hands on the 805 or 811 snapdragon combined with 4k if Microsoft hasn't closed the gap some its going to be game over.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
LMFAO!!! I love how people think IOS is on the cutting edge of os features hahahaha, IOS is behind Android by a ways, the whole lift phone to face to go directly to listen to messages, my note 2 would do that years ago, you could be in a text thread and all you had to do is put your phone to your ear and it would call that person.
Android has had scrollable notifications for over a year, smart video and smart screen, screen tap codes and gestures!! Apple = copy then sue. But but IOS has a fingerprint scanner, umm so did a laptop I had 8 years ago, but but it has a blood pressure monitor, umm theres been apps that do the same thing for years.

As far as MS goes you cant beat it for overall performance (battery life and smoothness) but is light years behind on what the os has to offer as far as features (not talking about apps) look at what LG and Sammy are doing with android, yes some things are a joke/ gimmick but some of the things are really nice to have and do make for a nice user experience.

Ms does need to step it up asap because once LG and Sammy get there hands on the 805 or 811 snapdragon combined with 4k if Microsoft hasn't closed the gap some its going to be game over.

Even my local newspaper was writing an article about the fact that Apple introduced only features that are already available on Android. And I agree.

iOS still feels much more elegant to me, and much less fragmented than Android. Also, in comparison to Windows Phone it might just have this edge.

On a personal note, beginning a thread with "LMFAO!!!" doesn't make people take you more seriously, it's rather the opposite effect.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Not overkill, but a damn good update. The continuity in iOS 8 and OS X is what should have been in Windows Phone and Windows from the get go.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
IOS 8 makes tha already pefect apple os More perfect and is now leading and many steps ahead of Android WP and other mobile os as they give u now almost most simplest and fastest way to use a Phone.

A Perfect OS doesn't need improvements. Perfect is an absolute. There's no such thing as more perfect. My point is the OS was not perfect. It's good but not perfect. No software is perfect.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Boom! I don't see why we have to wait for another year to have a "dev preview" of what came out this year on other devices.
MS has to step up and deliver in the GDRs rather than saving everything for a big announcement in a year to come.
I'll give the WP team some credit though; they've really been listening to users(files app etc) but they just have to be faster with the execution of things. That's my only gripe with them

I think they need to hire more developers and testers. I get the feeling the Nokia dev team will not help speed things up.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh god, I didn't say any thing about WP, I thought asked what features do you find so great in IOS 8 ?
Siri/Shazaam, Family Share, Notification Center, Health kit, Quick type and support for 3rd party keyboards like Swype, Messaging, Phone calls that show up on your Mac, answering messages in your lock screen but that is a lot of Yosemite, but mostly, this thing called "Continuity". That is going to bring a lot of folks to Apple IMHO. My wife has already signaled her impatience with WP 8 and is looking in that direction. You don't have to agree, but I'm telling you nothing draws a sharper distinction than seeing a demo of what the phone can do vs. a discussion of what may "eventually" show up on the platform. Android IMHO will feel this. If Apple drops a larger phone as expected as supported by its new SDK, Sammy will return to making TV's and refrigerators full time.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
even my local newspaper was writing an article about the fact that apple introduced only features that are already available on android. And i agree.

Ios still feels much more elegant to me, and much less fragmented than android. Also, in comparison to windows phone it might just have this edge.

On a personal note, beginning a thread with "lmfao!!!" doesn't make people take you more seriously, it's rather the opposite effect.

lmfao

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
iOS really does have that premium aura for a regular customers and developers. Their presentation from what I've seen from the Verge short cut out looks fun though.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I just wanna ask, is sending audio and video messages a big deal in US? I mean, isn't the whole point of messaging that it's silent so you don't have to talk and listen? I've never ever sent an audio or video message, if I feel like talking, I call, if they're not available, I send a text asking to call me back, and I only really use video with my wife if I'm far away from home, and that's rare.
And WP supports sending a voice note and a video too, it's just two taps away, under 'attach' where is should be. To me, it's a completely useless feature, and quick shortcuts are just taking up space. Anyone care to comment?

---
Another comment, have you noticed how they're finally not afraid to show that they run M$ apps? When they came to enterprise, Microsoft Office was the first one to show, and OneDrive is the first 3rd party supported cloud storage listed right under iCloud, so in a way, M$ is getting what they want, they are after all a software company, and as a software company you don't want to limit yourself to one system/platform. This means that if by any chance WP doesn't get better, at least the services that M$ provides will continue to grow.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

This is true of course. What Apple had going for it is that these features are on EVERY new Apple phone and work the same on every device. The fragmentation on Android means that this is hardly true. I have an android phone now and I don't have many of the features you mention. With Apple they will be there right out of the box. The "it just works" mantra from Apple is most certainly true. I really like my Android phone but have to admit that my iPhone never needed the amount of fussing around with stuff that my Android does.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Is it seriously such a big thing that Android had some of the features first? So what? Android doesn't have live tiles, so are they behind?

Should looks at it as, Apple closed the gap and there are even extra features that are pretty exciting. Newer than Android.
No matter who's first or not, iOS8 filled in the gap and it is nothing short of positive for consumers.

One thing I do know is MS is taking helluva long time updating ****.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is true of course. What Apple had going for it is that these features are on EVERY new Apple phone and work the same on every device. The fragmentation on Android means that this is hardly true. I have an android phone now and I don't have many of the features you mention. With Apple they will be there right out of the box. The "it just works" mantra from Apple is most certainly true. I really like my Android phone but have to admit that my iPhone never needed the amount of fussing around with stuff that my Android does.

That's not true. Any iPhone more than a year old won't get all the features of the new iOS version. Android by comparison mostly evey feature besides Nexus exclusives like Google Now Launcher and KitKat Dialer worn make it but everything else in KitKat hits all devices. I think that is overlooked often in regards to Android and iOS updates.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Android by comparison mostly evey feature besides Nexus exclusives like Google Now Launcher and KitKat Dialer worn make it but everything else in KitKat hits all devices.
Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Yeah great, but you are missing this that don't all Android devices get updates. As far as I know Samsung Galaxy S3 won't be getting KitKat and this phone is about 6 months newer that iPhone 4S. And I would still rather have update that is a bit "crippled" than no update at all ;) . I don't like Apple, would never buy, I would consider buying Nexus it but that with updates is fact that I can not overlook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss