iOS8 is overkill!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah great, but you are missing this that don't all Android devices get updates. As far as I know Samsung Galaxy S3 won't be getting KitKat and this phone is about 6 months newer that iPhone 4S. And I would still rather have update that is a bit "crippled" than no update at all ;) . I don't like Apple, would never buy, I would consider buying Nexus it but that with updates is fact that I can not overlook.

The Galaxy S3 international version is not getting KitKat because it has 1GB of RAM. All other versions of the S3 are getting KitKat (they have 2GB of RAM).

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Hh, it's funny that phone needs 2 GB of RAM to recive update that brings optimization for devices with 512 MB of RAM :D . Oh same goes for Galaxy Nexus, official because of chipset but ...

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 international version is not getting KitKat because it has 1GB of RAM. All other versions of the S3 are getting KitKat (they have 2GB of RAM) should the carrier allow it, which they probably won't.

Fixed that for you (;

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hh, it's funny that phone needs 2 GB of RAM to recive update that brings optimization for devices with 512 MB of RAM :D . Oh same goes for Galaxy Nexus, official because of chipset but ...

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

The phones are 2 years old. Most of the people who had an S3 will or is going to get an S5. You also have to consider that Touchwiz takes up RAM as well. But most of the models of the S3 are getting KitKat and that is a good thing. My phone for example, I have a Droid RAZR M with 1GB of RAM got an update to 4.4.2. 2 weeks ago. So Android devices aren't bad on updates loan they used to.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They are carriers don't block updates. The North America Version of the S3 is getting KitKat soon. I can't speak for other countries.

I never said they block them, but they do have to approve them. If the number of people who still own an S3 is too low, AT&T won't bother letting it through.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I never said they block them, but they do have to approve them. If the number of people who still own an S3 is too low, AT&T won't bother letting it through.

Disagree strongly. They don't just drop updates for devices for reasons like that. They never have.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Disagree strongly. They don't just drop updates for devices for reasons like that. They never have.

Right. The Lumia 810 was definitely not confirmed to get Lumia Black + Update 3 due to low sales. That totally never happened /s

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Right. The Lumia 810 was definitely not confirmed to get Lumia Black + Update 3 due to low sales. That totally never happened /s

On the same token, I'm interested in seeing whether or not AT&T's 920 gets WP8.1. There are a lot (relatively speaking) of them out there. But then by the time AT&T gets around to pushing the update they'll have been on the market about 2 years, which means that the first users will be upgrading to new devices.

pahutakz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
They are carriers don't block updates. The North America Version of the S3 is getting KitKat soon. I can't speak for other countries.

oh really kitkat on s3 but samsung said that kitkat on s3 got an issue for storage because it is huge

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have posted a new thread about iOS 8 on imore.com, I will share it here too
Will iOS 8 going to loos its Minimal Design? - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Will iOS 8 going to lose its Minimal Design?

Simplicity and Minimal Design have been iOS Priority from the first day
But after WWDC2014 I found iOS Priority has been changed to Function.
There is no any Antagonism between Simplicity and Function, But now
I think Apple is ready to Sacrifice some Minimal Design aspects of iOS for its Function, if it will be needed.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow, WP8.1 already feels outdated.
The WP team needs to pick things up real fast. No long waits before updates, huge features in GDRs etc. It took a year for apple to accomplish this much (took MS 2 years to go from WP8 to WP8.1). Sad thing is, nothing would change in the WP update process anytime soon

As an ex iPhone user, let me tell you, innovation was not something they were excelling in with their frequent "updates". This is the first update in a long time that I've actually seen them do something impressive. One of the reasons I left iPhone, was because they would add one feature, and call it revolutionary.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

So know you switched from talking about Android to Windows Phone? You guys love to move goal posts around here.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So know you switched from talking about Android to Windows Phone? You guys love to move goal posts around here.

I'm describing the way that carriers treat both Android and WP. Only iOS gets special treatment. The carriers don't go "oh, we'll put up arbitrary rules because it's WP". If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. Its as simple as that. I don't see how which OS I'm talking about is "moving goal posts" but whatever.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm describing the way that carriers treat both Android and WP. Only iOS gets special treatment. The carriers don't go "oh, we'll put up arbitrary rules because it's WP". If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. Its as simple as that. I don't see how which OS I'm talking about is "moving goal posts" but whatever.

You were specifically talking about Android and updates then brought up a Windows Phone. The S3 is getting KitKat and at that was a LOT more popular than the 810. It sold millions in 2012, hell I know people who still use an S3 because it was (and still is) a good phone. Though in terms of specs it would be considered midrange but the hardware still holds up well because of the 2GB of RAM.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Havent paid much attention to the iOS8, but it sounds like it was a pretty drastic overhaul. I am sticking with WP but MS isn't doing the best job of giving people reasons to stay on board.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You were specifically talking about Android and updates then brought up a Windows Phone. The S3 is getting KitKat and at that was a LOT more popular than the 810. It sold millions in 2012, hell I know people who still use an S3 because it was (and still is) a good phone. Though in terms of specs it would be considered midrange but the hardware still holds up well because of the 2GB of RAM.

You're missing the point. You said that carriers have never stopped supporting a phone due to low sales and I provided an example of a time that they did. It doesn't matter if 50 million were sold a day, if carriers determine that there aren't enough of an install base to bother testing it, they won't.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Windows Phone : Oct/Nov 2010 - Current.
iOS : June 2007 - Current.

Are you really surprised WP is playing catch-up? People don't give WP and BB10 credit for how far they've came in such a short period of time.
Maybe because you're engaging in a little bit of revisionist history.

Windows Mobile 2003 : June 23, 2003 (1st Windows-based smartphone OS)
Windows Mobile 5 : May 9, 2005
Windows Mobile 6: February 12, 2007
Windows Mobile 6.1 : April 1, 2008
Windows Mobile 6.5: May 11, 2009
Windows Phone 7: November 8, 2010
Windows Phone 8: October 29, 2012
Windows Phone 8.1 : April 2, 2014

That's not including PocketPC 2000 released in 2000 that was the foundation for everything that came afterwards.

To claim that Microsoft has come so far in such a short time is laughable.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You're missing the point. You said that carriers have never stopped supporting a phone due to low sales and I provided an example of a time that they did. It doesn't matter if 50 million were sold a day, if carriers determine that there aren't enough of an install base to bother testing it, they won't.

I'll take your word for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss