iOS8 is overkill!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think the iOS upgrade is great. I really thought interactive notifications was going to be a WP game changer. But unfortunately it didn't happen. Also continuity is awesome! Microsoft has been advertising the 3 screens unity for over a year now, and still there is no integration between any of the platforms aside from onedrive and tab syncing. If it takes Microsoft another full year to deliver the next update, it will be way too late.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
the mighty microsoft is too too powerfull to lose. is very clear that they are changing the whole company in every single aspect to win . you cant look at the last couple of years , because that was the old microsoft. the old microsoft realized they have to live with the times and recreate every single department. we are in the begining of that process . and they are catching up very well. the analysts predict a growth . of course that nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy , but look at the surface 3. when they come up with the surface phone, goldfinger, or what ever is called, they are going to have another winner. and theyre going to keep pouring billions and billions more. time to buy more shares...:smile:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
the mighty microsoft is too too powerfull to lose. is very clear that they are changing the whole company in every single aspect to win . you cant look at the last couple of years , because that was the old microsoft. the old microsoft realized they have to live with the times and recreate every single department. we are in the begining of that process . and they are catching up very well. the analysts predict a growth . of course that nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy , but look at the surface 3. when they come up with the surface phone, goldfinger, or what ever is called, they are going to have another winner. and theyre going to keep pouring billions and billions more. time to buy more shares...:smile:

Until there is proof of a surface phone (which has been rumored for a long time now, at least a year), I will remain a bit skeptical. Also until they seamlessly integrate like iOS and Yosemite that will also add to my skepticism.

Microsoft can do it. They just need to pull it together faster. This slow moving stuff is hurting them more than helping. By the time they get it right everyone will have moved on and lost interest, there is still Google IO coning up and big things are rumored for Android this year.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This is how I read the forums in here:
- 2010: NoDo will change everything
- 2011: Mango will change everything
- 2012: Windows Phone 8 will change everything
- 2013: Windows Phone 8.1 will change everything
- 2014: Threshold will change everything

I will agree that WP8.1 is a great step forward but the thing is Android and iOS are not stale and waiting for WP to catch up. With 3 updates a year, Microsoft has the opportunity and the duty to offer some iOS8 features without us having to wait for WP9.
There's technically nothing wrong with those statements...each update did change everything...it's just that the competition *also* changed in that time period. The issue, to be honest, is Microsoft's slow pace with Windows Phone. But given that the Windows Phone team was just a fringe group until the re-org/i.e. some months ago, that impediment may not be the case today. Case in point, just look at the successive updates seen in the WP 8.1 Dev Preview, we haven't even gotten to the first GDR but we already had two - albeit back-end - updates.

Dhyan Hariprasad

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yea...with every update IOS is becoming more android....just think about it....there is only a little to change in ios and android when compared with wp....wp is a platform that can be developed a long way......and totally different from ios and android.....i have a phone is that is unique and personal....love it.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Kia/Hyundai took almost 2 decades to get into the market and only then actually start selling cars with proper profit, only after that huge period of time people was convinced that hyundais are reliable and a viable alternative to Honda or Toyota. People dont like to buy what they dont know, thats how it is and always has been.
Also, no offense, you keep saying ios8 is amazing, but all the features i read, already exists. Apart from something like talking on your mac through your phone, (no idea why on earth would you rather talk to your computer rather than your phone but okay)
I mean Burst mode is one of their features...Mind = Blown

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid I have to agree. Apple is addressing lots of complaints and many reasons that push people to Android, like 3rd party keyboards.
All in all very impressed, Microsoft still has a lot of catching up to do and Google IO hasn't even happened yet.

I wouldn't even sweat goog io. All you should expect from them are talk of activations and apps in the play store, the state of google+ (eg. how they force participation), a star studded chrome book movie and how rudderless WP is. They won't come close to what Apple dropped this week.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Kia/Hyundai took almost 2 decades to get into the market and only then actually start selling cars with proper profit, only after that huge period of time people was convinced that hyundais are reliable and a viable alternative to Honda or Toyota. People dont like to buy what they dont know, thats how it is and always has been.
Also, no offense, you keep saying ios8 is amazing, but all the features i read, already exists. Apart from something like talking on your mac through your phone, (no idea why on earth would you rather talk to your computer rather than your phone but okay)
I mean Burst mode is one of their features...Mind = Blown

But for iOS to take features like that and make a closed system more open is a big jump form the Apple of old. To say "meh" to this is just jot understanding how much of departure this is for Apple and what this means for other platforms going forwards.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't even sweat goog io. All you should expect from them are talk of activations and apps in the play store, the state of google+ (eg. how they force participation), a star studded chrome book movie and how rudderless WP is. They won't come close to what Apple dropped this week.

A new Android version is expected, Android Wear and maybe a UI redesign. I highly doubt whatever they do will be "meh". Either way the only thing for Android to go is for other manufacturers besides Samsung to step up.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A new Android version is expected, Android Wear and maybe a UI redesign. I highly doubt whatever they do will be "meh". Either way the only thing for Android to go is for other manufacturers besides Samsung to step up.

The thing is that no other manufacturers beside Samsung have devices that are big sellers. I wouldn't say the manufacturers need to step up. They are releasing loads of products, but consumers don't buy them. There isn't much HTC can do if consumers find their products 'meh' compared to Samsung's products.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that no other manufacturers beside Samsung have devices that are big sellers. I wouldn't say the manufacturers need to step up. They are releasing loads of products, but consumers don't buy them. There isn't much HTC can do if consumers find their products 'meh' compared to Samsung's products.

If they would do more marketing. HTC did a couple commercials and that was it. If we learned anything from Apple and Samsung is they have ads on all year long and you will see them several times a day.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny when people talk about integration and state that the only thing MSFT has is One drive. Well that's all it really needs. Seamlessly transitioning between WP, Windows desktops, laptops, tablets, and even Xbox.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny when people talk about integration and state that the only thing MSFT has is One drive. Well that's all it really needs. Seamlessly transitioning between WP, Windows desktops, laptops, tablets, and even Xbox.

OneDrive works great in Linux too. I'm currently running Linux, not Windows, as I post this.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OneDrive works great in Linux too. I'm currently running Linux, not Windows, as I post this.

BURN THE WITCH! ;P Seriously, I didn't even know OneDrive existed for Linux. That's pretty cool. OneDrive has come a long way and has improved a lot in the past months. All I'm wishing for though is that MS will finally improve its streaming capabilities so that users can use it to stream their uploaded videos across their devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
BURN THE WITCH! ;P Seriously, I didn't even know OneDrive existed for Linux. That's pretty cool. OneDrive has come a long way and has improved a lot in the past months. All I'm wishing for though is that MS will finally improve its streaming capabilities so that users can use it to stream their uploaded videos across their devices.
I'm using OneDrive in Firefox. I currently don't have a Windows PC. My ASUS got replaced after being repaired twice, but now the replacement is out for repair (they sent me a replacement with only 4 GB RAM, when I purchased the original with 8 GB RAM). I'm running an old PC that originally ran XP. It does not meet the requirements for a newer version of Windows, but Linux runs great on it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
But for iOS to take features like that and make a closed system more open is a big jump form the Apple of old. To say "meh" to this is just jot understanding how much of departure this is for Apple and what this means for other platforms going forwards.

I agree. In terms of new features, iOS 8 doesn't add much you can't already do in Android (often for many years), but the new more open direction is much more interesting. It will really help Apple's products to keep up with Android in the future and leaves Microsoft with a tough decision - do they also open up themselves, or do they try to keep up with not just Apple and Google, but with iOS and Android's *entire* developer communities by themselves?

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The actionable notifications thing upset me a bit because this was a leaked feature in WP8.1 that everyone loved, and it was either never there (so not a leak but a false rumor) or pulled for some reason and now iOS 8 has it.. So if WP does get it then "took that from iOS". Some of the other features are clearly borrowed and playing "catch up" on iOS to WP and Android but every bit they jump ahead to add WP features, we still don't have iOS equivs for so we still have some catching up to do. I do hope that MS really goes for it for WP8.2 or 9 or whatever the heck is next.

I believe the current rumor mill too says that GDR1 for WP8.1 is just bug fixes, no new features but GDR2 has new features. Hopefully those will be out this year. Granted iOS 8 is still in beta just like WP8.1 is (well bug fix period now but will be out this summer). We've seen a lot of transparency (I say that lightly but more than usual) on Cortana development. I hope WP is also not putting all their eggs in 1 basket with Cortana and neglecting the rest of the OS features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb