06-18-2014 07:36 AM
118 123 ...
tools
    Wow, WP8.1 already feels outdated.
    The WP team needs to pick things up real fast. No long waits before updates, huge features in GDRs etc. It took a year for apple to accomplish this much (took MS 2 years to go from WP8 to WP8.1). Sad thing is, nothing would change in the WP update process anytime soon
    06-02-2014 01:46 PM
    Ok so what is so new and so awesome in IOS 8? Only thing I like are intractable notifications.
    06-02-2014 01:53 PM
    I'm afraid I have to agree. Apple is addressing lots of complaints and many reasons that push people to Android, like 3rd party keyboards.
    All in all very impressed, Microsoft still has a lot of catching up to do and Google IO hasn't even happened yet.
    06-02-2014 01:54 PM
    They pretty much took rooms from WP8
    ven07, forked, Blu3V3nom07 and 1 others like this.
    06-02-2014 01:54 PM
    Windows Phone : Oct/Nov 2010 - Current.
    iOS : June 2007 - Current.

Are you really surprised WP is playing catch-up? People don't give WP and BB10 credit for how far they've came in such a short period of time.
    06-02-2014 01:59 PM
    Ok so what is so new and so awesome in IOS 8? Only thing I like are intractable notifications.
    What's so new and awesome on WP8.1 :) (And I'm a MS enthusiast)
    Moiz Mian likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:01 PM
    Windows Phone : Oct/Nov 2010 - Current.
    iOS : June 2007 - Current.

Are you really surprised WP is playing catch-up? People don't give WP and BB10 credit for how far they've came in such a short period of time.
    This really isn't an excuse. If a new car company is set up this year, would you expect their cars to perform like how cars did in the 80s? But yea, WP has come a long way since WP7
    06-02-2014 02:02 PM
    Oh god, I didn't say any thing about WP, I thought asked what features do you find so great in IOS 8 ?
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:04 PM
    Oh god, I didn't say any thing about WP, I thought asked what features do you find so great in IOS 8 ?
    Oh my bad, I misread that. I liked the new messaging app, the actionable notifications, the ability to listen to voice messages by just placing the phone on your ear(I guess it's still part of the first 2 points), the integration with MAC is amazing...
    ven07 likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:10 PM
    This really isn't an excuse. If a new car company is set up this year, would you expect their cars to perform like how cars did in the 80s? But yea, WP has come a long way since WP7
    I suppose we should all be born with the knowledge of old wise people too, right? Time is no excuse. ;)
    06-02-2014 02:15 PM
    Must be a different iOS 8 you saw...
    06-02-2014 02:18 PM
    I may have to dust off the 5c and check what iOS 8 has to offer. I will admit, a few of the changes did catch my eye...actionable notifications as well as third party keyboards to name just two.
    ven07 likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:19 PM
    4000 new APis, change to new programming language + new features.. Credit is due where its due.

Wp8.1 won't be rolled out till end of year, too late.
    Jan Tomsic likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:20 PM
    I suppose we should all be born with the knowledge of old wise people too, right? Time is no excuse. ;)
    This analogy doesn't play right in this context. Look at Xbox. Sony and Nitendo were in the game making business for a long time before MS stepped in. But the Xbox team did a very neat job. You can't enter an already established market and try to win customers over by giving the "I'm new to the business so pardon my faults and speed with updates" attitude. :)
    Beijendorf, A895 and radmanvr like this.
    06-02-2014 02:22 PM
    This analogy doesn't play right in this context. Look at Xbox. Sony and Nitendo were in the game making business for a long time before MS stepped in. But the Xbox team did a very neat job. You can't enter an already established market and try to win customers over by giving the "I'm new to the business so pardon my faults and speed with updates" attitude. :)

Couldn't agree more. Another example is Sony launching the PS4 with an online service that matched Xbox Live and in some areas surpassed it FROM THE GET GO!
    Beijendorf and meddyrainzo like this.
    06-02-2014 02:29 PM
    Maybe I'll have my wife upgrade to an iPhone next.

As much as I love Windows Phone, I sometimes don't know what to say when she has complaints about missing apps or functionality that her friends have.

I am a lot less needy with my phone. To me, the way that WP handles things is enough to keep me here. But for my wife, I feel a little guilty convincing her to buy a Windows Phone.

​Don't get me wrong... she does really like it. I just wonder if she's be more happy with something else for the next two years until MS hopefully catches up.
    06-02-2014 02:32 PM
    You don't have to like that the time frame exists. You don't even have to buy WP. You're free to buy what you wish. I merely pointed out the time differences to use a little common sense. This is a fast moving industry. Microsoft can't time warp years of development and magically catch up to iOS or Android. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is. I haven't heard any excuses from them...
    06-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Couldn't agree more. Another example is Sony launching the PS4 with an online service that matched Xbox Live and in some areas surpassed it FROM THE GET GO!
    The gaming comparison isn't as valid. They've been in development long before initial release. Just cause one company brought something later doesn't mean they haven't spent time on it. Windows Phone was a start from scratch. Same as BB10.
    06-02-2014 02:34 PM
    Yea that...and they added an always on feature for Siri, just say hey Siri and she listens just like Google now
    06-02-2014 02:39 PM
    I saw that, Family Sharing seems to be a cross between Rooms and Kids Corner.
    06-02-2014 02:40 PM
    What's so new and awesome on WP8.1 :) (And I'm a MS enthusiast)
    Download the Developer Preview and find out for yourself!!!
    06-02-2014 02:41 PM
    How long has it taken them to add predictive text?
    SwimSwim likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:42 PM
    You don't have to like that the time frame exists. You don't even have to buy WP. You're free to buy what you wish. I merely pointed out the time differences to use a little common sense. This is a fast moving industry. Microsoft can't time warp years of development and magically catch up to iOS or Android. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is. I haven't heard any excuses from them...
    Don't worry, I'm already aware of the fact that I 'can' buy what I wish. I don't need you telling me that. ;).
    MS was responsible for WM wasn't it? So they do have a lot of experience in the mobile world . Yet WP7 and 8 lacked features expected on a smartphone. You don't have to like it, it is what it is.
    I like WP and will continue to support it, but the truth remains; they are slow compared to the competition. WP8.1 was due last year. If it did come out last year, WP would have definitely been in a better position than it is in today
    NHUK likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:43 PM
    Looking at some of the stuff from the conference...

The improvements in Mail are pretty awesome. Actionable notifications are decent.

iCloud and Siri adding functionality, but OneDrive and Cortana are still better.

But man... Swift replacing Objective C is HUGE. Wow.
    Great deal likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:43 PM
    Ok checked all features in IOS 8 and still only useful thing are actionable notification. To have Mac integration I would still be missing something even if I buy iPhone, that's Mac ;). Other things are not so interesting.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not bad OS but I also isn't something that would make me pay so much for a phone.
    06-02-2014 02:46 PM
118 123 ...