Revolutionary New Features! Watching the LiveBlog...

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Key *NEW* Features!
-Bigger Display (like everyone else)
-NFC (like everyone else)
-Optical Image Stabilization (like everyone else)
-Best Shot (like everyone else)
-Swipey Keyboard (like everyone else)
-Available in 16GB, skips 32GB and gouges for 64GB (unlike everyone else)

But seriously, it does seem like they got some things right, simply because they have such a huge following. The catching up to tech available on other platforms is a huge thing for iPhone users, and the press there is practically wetting their pants. Notable things was the phase detection focus on the camera, the video modes with 240fps, and the pretty secure sounding ePayment system.

What did you think?

Just a couple of points about this post. Why is it "gouging" for 64 when the price was the same before but only for 32GB? I see them giving you 64GB as on par with what the rest of the industry was doing with their 32GB options... They were charging $50 more and Apple was charging $100 more for 16 more GB, now that you get 48 more it is price gouging?! Based on Apple's history that I just detailed, please explain how them keeping the same price points but the consumer getting more is "gouging".

To some of the other points, "like everyone else" especially NFC, if they get it to work without feeling like a hodgepodge of apps (like how FaceTime was seamless as opposed to exiting a call and opening Skype or something else to start a new call) then it is a big deal that Apple has this stuff now. They wait for others to do it for the most part and then improve upon the user experience.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
And don't forget: You've got your Nokia thanks to the iPhone ;)

Yeah, and Apple got the iPhone thanks to BlackBerry.

And BlackBerry got its phone thanks to Palm.

Thanks to Steve J. obviously and some really fantastic products in the past.

"Past" being the operant word here.

Starting a post like this on a forum like this makes me say: You're jealous that you can't afford (well, let's say simply won't buy) the iPhone 6.

Yeah, that must be it. Where I live in Canada we have a law that states no one can buy an iPhone if they own something else. Terrible law and I'm so jealous.

Here's the bottom line: there is nothing and I mean nothing that screams innovation from Apple this time around. That's not jealousy - that's fact. Everything they showcased exists already and has for sometime from other folks. The quality is there - that's an Apple hallmark.

But so is masterful spin marketing.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Starting a post like this on a forum like this makes me say: You're jealous that you can't afford (well, let's say simply won't buy) the iPhone 6. And don't be shy because I'm also banging my head on every single stone for leaving iOS and Apple's hardware because it's better, every second I use the 1320 it just doesn't do the trick.

Doesn't seem like jealousy to me, more like just calling out Apple for their so-called "improvements." Under Steve Jobs' leadership it always seemed like Apple was pushing the boundaries and creating their markets. But lately it mostly seems like Apple is tracking what other's are doing and just keeping up.

How about this tidbit from Steve?

Steve Jobs memorably dissed big phones in 2010, during the infamous Antennagate debacle. Making a phone so big “you can’t get your hand around it” would help with reception, said Apple’s then CEO, but “no one’s going to buy that." -Android Authority

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
WP still does not have NFC payment, which is the major feature of Apple's NFC. WP's NFC is still quite limited in function.
wp actually does since 8.1. Lol

You use the wallet app to add the cards. Why don't they ever showcase this feature?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I wish Microsoft/Nokia would release a flagship that doesn't have micro-sd in different available sizes life the iphone, the only phones from them that has micro-sd and seem to have reasonable future is lumia 730 , 830 and 1520.
and I think they should just be like Samsung instead. Removable battery, micro sd and the specs to back it up.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
wp actually does since 8.1. Lol

You use the wallet app to add the cards. Why don't they ever showcase this feature?

Has anyone successfully used it? I think the ISIS app is needed, which doesn't yet exist.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, and Apple got the iPhone thanks to BlackBerry..
And if Alexander wasn't so lazy and just walked up to someone we didn't have the phone. But hey, someone once made a wheel ...

Yeah, that must be it. Where I live in Canada we have a law that states no one can buy an iPhone if they own something else. Terrible law and I'm so jealous.

Here's the bottom line: there is nothing and I mean nothing that screams innovation from Apple this time around. That's not jealousy - that's fact. Everything they showcased exists already and has for sometime from other folks. The quality is there - that's an Apple hallmark.

But so is masterful spin marketing.

It's true. There's no innovation, but do you miss something? I don't get the disappointment. Because if we talk disappointmet I think we got enough with Windows Phone: No official Facebook app, no snapchat, Whatsapp is horrible and Instagram is dead. I think the iPhone 6 is a pretty neat product moving with the current devices and adding some extra's along. Apple's pay system's new. Same with the watch. You should focus on the entire keynote and we can't say it's a disappointment. What did you expect? 99 USD and laser beams shooting abilities and such?

BTW: Is that law thing true? Why is that ...

Steve Jobs memorably dissed big phones in 2010, during the infamous Antennagate debacle. Making a phone so big “you can’t get your hand around it” would help with reception, said Apple’s then CEO, but “no one’s going to buy that." -Android Authority

In 2010. Back in 1998 someone said the floppy disk couldn't be missed in the iMac.... Hey, we've gone 4 years into the future.
Back in the iPod days Steve said that no one wanted to watch video on the iPod classic. And yet, there was one.

P.S. now it's time to sleep ... :) cheers

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone Wallet NFC...

Purchase apps and games in the Windows Phone Store, or simply keep track of your card account info. And if your service provider and phone support it, you can even set up credit or debit cards to make NFC purchases in stores. (This requires a special, secure SIM card.)

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
And if Alexander wasn't so lazy and just walked up to someone we didn't have the phone. But hey, someone once made a wheel ...

I was referring to your because of the iPhone there is a Windows Phone statement. I was simply stating that the smartphone did not begin with Apple.

It's true. There's no innovation, but do you miss something? I don't get the disappointment. Because if we talk disappointmet I think we got enough with Windows Phone: No official Facebook app, no snapchat, Whatsapp is horrible and Instagram is dead. I think the iPhone 6 is a pretty neat product moving with the current devices and adding some extra's along. Apple's pay system's new. Same with the watch. You should focus on the entire keynote and we can't say it's a disappointment. What did you expect? 99 USD and laser beams shooting abilities and such?

BTW: Is that law thing true? Why is that ...

Yup. The lack of apps for this platform has been bemoaned ad nauseum. It's not a new problem and I'm not sure it will ever be resolved - thank heavens I'm old as dirt and don't really care about apps as much as the younger set.

Apple's pay system is Google wallet redux. And the iPhone 6 is wholly unimpressive - it's a Nexus 4 with iOS. Yipee.

And as far as the watch goes - I don't see the point - not just Apple's offering; anyone else's for that matter. The concept is ridiculous at best - it's just trying to manufacture a need at this point. Just like Google Glass.

And the "law" in Canada I was talking about? I was just messin' with ya.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is playing catch up to. you can knock Apple an iphone all you want, Windows Phone is on the same tourist attraction as iPhone, where as Android is the one running the show by always being a step ahead.

A step ahead, but then two steps back when it gets screwed up somehow.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Key *NEW* Features!
-Bigger Display (like everyone else)
-NFC (like everyone else)
-Optical Image Stabilization (like everyone else)
-Best Shot (like everyone else)
-Swipey Keyboard (like everyone else)
-Available in 16GB, skips 32GB and gouges for 64GB (unlike everyone else)

But seriously, it does seem like they got some things right, simply because they have such a huge following. The catching up to tech available on other platforms is a huge thing for iPhone users, and the press there is practically wetting their pants. Notable things was the phase detection focus on the camera, the video modes with 240fps, and the pretty secure sounding ePayment system.

What did you think?

I think in terms of specs (except the 64-bit) it'll make it just barely enough to be on par with devices that are already getting old. By the time it's out you'll have octacores widespread, Android L coming out, W Threshold etc. (with the cameras that are second to none) and still subpar displays in terms of size, which won't fit phablet users. I don't expect significant market share gains outside the US and a few other English speaking countries where the hype of the US has an impact.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I was referring to your because of the iPhone there is a Windows Phone statement. I was simply stating that the smartphone did not begin with Apple.

Disagree: The smart phone was indeed not Apple's invention but we can't really say that phone's pre-iPhone era are smart, can we? So in some way Apple invented the smart phone we know today, right?

Yup. The lack of apps for this platform has been bemoaned ad nauseum. It's not a new problem and I'm not sure it will ever be resolved - thank heavens I'm old as dirt and don't really care about apps as much as the younger set.

Apple's pay system is Google wallet redux. And the iPhone 6 is wholly unimpressive - it's a Nexus 4 with iOS. Yipee.

And as far as the watch goes - I don't see the point - not just Apple's offering; anyone else's for that matter. The concept is ridiculous at best - it's just trying to manufacture a need at this point. Just like Google Glass.

And the "law" in Canada I was talking about? I was just messin' with ya.
I can't see the need of a watch as well. Because I don't wear one now, and I haven't got an iPhone anyway. There must be people who will start wearing that Apple Watch because of the first word in the products name. Still no issue with that. Google Glass, got no idea where that goes to except for the professional industry.

Apple's Pay system is Google Wallet + major companies behind it. That's the difference in my eyes. And I can't think of an other company "trying" to change the way we pay. It's not that Apple wants to change the way you pay. You're not forced to do anything - I see that in comments here, people think when Apple comes with something you have to use it - I've used my iPhone and never used some services. I like the idea that Apple wants to help you to stop carrying your credidcard with you. Which is a nice first step. Together with the competition it will lead to an improvement in the way we pay, I believe.

Oh and about hardware: You can't compare. The device is running iOS. Windows Phones have Windows, and Samsung's have Android. It's wrong to think that an iPhone with 1GB RAM + iOS would be less good than a Nokia 1520 with 2GB RAM + Windows Phone 8.1. It's how the OS works with the available hardware. Same with NFC, yes it has only now arrived. My girlfriend has NFC on her phone and I've never ever seen her do something with it. Apple only uses NFC now for Apple Pay. Future may say NFC is really needed ....

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Aside from the fact we have had NFC and larger screens for a while now - yeah - we are still playing catch up to Apple. Good observation

Please name some useful things you can do with the NFC function on WP. Please also elucidate how one may use WP with tap-to-pay NFC terminals. Once you do so, you can continue on your daily FUD trip.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, he's no longer around to stop Tim from doing it.

Just talked to my friend from Apple yesterday. It's interesting you mention that. We all know the late Steve have a very specific design in mind, and yes it did hold back many innovations that could have been on the iPhone that we see in other hardware such as Samsung specifically. I said to him, "the iPhone 5 was the last of Job's design, and I can really see that this is now Cook's gig." He agreed pretty enthused, and said a lot of his peers are happy about the change - "he gets it," referring to Tim.

The funny thing about this is that he is seeing it pretty differently from the way I do. Up until this announcement, his opinion was that the iPhone 5 was the ****. He even brushed off comments about the lack of NFC (I've brought up NFC before to him) saying they didn't need it. Yet, he describes this collective sigh of relief that they are now shipping a new phone... no TWO new phones of different sizes, and with a bunch of new hardware (a bunch comparative to what they've done in the past), and also a new watch... no, it's going to be like FIFTEEN watches very soon! A **** ton of SKUs. This, Jobs never would have done. And so, this is the new flavor of Kool Aid the iPhone guys drink. The employees drink it pure with more sugar, and less water mixed in. They would never allow themselves to be caught dead using anything other than an iPhone of no less than one generation behind on the Cupertino campus, and even the stores not because of choice, but their employment or promotion depends on it.

Anyways, end rant. I know they bought quite a few Windows Phones when Cortana launched. They're playing with her. Expect them to rip off what Cortana does soon.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Please name some useful things you can do with the NFC function on WP. Please also elucidate how one may use WP with tap-to-pay NFC terminals. Once you do so, you can continue on your daily FUD trip.

A lot of things:
1) Efficient bluetooth handshakes for seamless & code less pairing (i.e instant audio play when using a jbl speaker)
2) Tap & send data (documents, files) from on device to another which has NFC & Bluetooth
3) Pay with your phone
4) Use your phone as a travel card (points 3 & 4 Japan had this tech in use for over a decade, the only reason WP and any other implementation that uses secure sims can't use it is because of the Carriers.. who are too damn slow)

WP still does not have NFC payment, which is the major feature of Apple's NFC. WP's NFC is still quite limited in function.

Actually it does (see screenshot), Apple's implementation includes the secure element inside the phone therefore by passing the carrier and the way MS implemented it relies on the secure element in a sim - (secure sim, MS calls it a payment sim) which only orange rolled it out in 2011 and only the big carriers in the UK started trialling from feb 2014. NFC payment tech has been out for years but it was not mainstream, the so called contactless payment system (the irony, you still need to touch the reader for it to work :p) is becoming mainstream now since you can find it majority of the retail shops like tesco, sainsburys etc.

wp_ss_20140912_0002.png

Last edited:

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Starting a post like this on a forum like this makes me say: You're jealous that you can't afford (well, let's say simply won't buy) the iPhone 6. And don't be shy because I'm also banging my head on every single stone for leaving iOS and Apple's hardware because it's better, every second I use the 1320 it just doesn't do the trick.

Yes, it may have the same hardware but it's simple: A car is a car. But a Rolls isn't a Dacia ;-) and that's just it. They make it in such a way that people want it, including me and many many more people here on this forum.

Can't afford? (Looks at Surface Pro 3 256GB to the right, thinks for a moment about the XBOX One, thinks a moment more about that PS4 that might get bought) You're right, maybe I just won't buy, and maybe I would buy. If you read my thread, I'm not just knocking the new iPhone. Now, since you're not really a WP guy, in a WPC Forum, you would probably laugh at a similar announcement from MS if it was something that has long been available on iPhones-so don't even. I do think it's got some good things to offer, and it's the first time I'm even considering to buy it. Not as much primary phone. As the phone I have to buy simply because there are a few apps that are not on WP, and this might be a good time because they finally put some tech into it to be current with the times. As a daily driver, my L920 is waaaay more efficient. If you really know how to use your 1320, try doing the same tasks on the iPhone - it is much more fiddly. Now, I'm not insulting you here, it's just that sometimes I hear complaints that come from folks not know how to use their phone effectively. MS needs to do better in demonstrating this to the customers actually.

Their ePayment strategy is quite devious. They haven't even launched the iP6, yet they already have merchants that are ready to take payments from their unreleased phones. Do you know how? They're using Google's NFC terminals that are already there. Well, that must **** them off. They're also taking 0.5% in fees for each transaction. Pretty good idea. Knowing how Apple does what it does, do you really want them to be a dominate player in the payment space?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually it does (see screenshot), Apple's implementation includes the secure element inside the phone therefore by passing the carrier and the way MS implemented it relies on the secure element in a sim - (secure sim, MS calls it a payment sim) which only orange rolled it out in 2011 and only the big carriers in the UK started trialling from feb 2014.

Maybe WP technically has it, but you can't use it. Not every required component is in place. Microsoft will either need to work around the secure element issue like Google did and Apple is doing, or get whatever app is missing.

the so called contactless payment system (the irony, you still need to touch the reader for it to work :p)

I just returned from lunch at McDonald's, where I paid for my meal with NFC. My phone did not touch the reader. You do need to be very close, but it's not technically necessary to touch. It usually does touch though because of how close you need to be.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe WP technically has it, but you can't use it. Not every required component is in place. Microsoft will either need to work around the secure element issue like Google did and Apple is doing, or get whatever app is missing.

You did not even read what I said. jeez, I said it needs a Secure Sim for it to work, everything else is in place, Apple's method places the secure element inside the phone for the provisioning therefore you do not such a sim thereby negating the need to even involve the carriers.

I just returned from lunch at McDonald's, where I paid for my meal with NFC. My phone did not touch the reader. You do need to be very close, but it's not technically necessary to touch. It usually does touch though because of how close you need to be.

I know how contactless works and most implementations (If not all, use Visa's implementation) I have seen require the user to touch the reader & hold their card or phone onto the reader for it to work.

Here is a snippet from their website:

Just touch your Visa contactless card to the contactless reader and hold until you hear the beep and the display confirms your transaction has been successful.

Contactless payments

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You did not even read what I said. jeez, I said it needs a Secure Sim for it to work, everything else is in place, Apple's method places the secure element inside the phone for the provisioning therefore you do not such a sim thereby negating the need to even involve the carriers.

Yes I read what you wrote! :wink: I believe what's missing in WP is the ISIS (now Softcard) app. I do not understand how this all works, but I do know that as of now you cannot use a WP for NFC payment. Apple & Google completely bypass ISIS. Apple worked around the carriers' blocking with hardware, and Google did it with software. WP has not yet done it.

Again, it is currently impossible to use a WP for NFC payment.

I know how contactless works and most implementations (If not all, use Visa's implementation) I have seen require the user to touch the reader & hold their card or phone onto the reader for it to work.

Well maybe certain readers require actual touching, but I do know that McDonald's readers don't. I have to get my phone very close, like within 1/4" or so, but touching is not required.

But hey, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with the little details if you're not yet using it. I've been using it since early 2013. Believe me, I've been there and done that when it comes to NFC tap to pay! When I first started using it, it was very unreliable. I quickly learned to have my credit card out and handy in case tap to pay didn't work.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes I read what you wrote! :wink: I believe what's missing in WP is the ISIS (now Softcard) app. I do not understand how this all works, but I do know that as of now you cannot use a WP for NFC payment. Apple & Google completely bypass ISIS. Apple worked around the carriers' blocking with hardware, and Google did it with software. WP has not yet done it.

Again, it is currently impossible to use a WP for NFC payment.

Fair enough , however you are incorrect in saying it is impossible for WP to make NFC Payments :grin: and is solely dependent on AT&T, Verizon & T-mobile's collaborative group. That is only true for the US not the rest of the world otherwise Orange wouldn't have been able to roll this out back in 2011, if you don't believe me watch Joe belfiore's key note (20:00 to 26:00).

Windows Phone Summit | Channel 9

Contactless Technology for your Mobile with Orange | Store-Orange

Well maybe certain readers require actual touching, but I do know that McDonald's readers don't. I have to get my phone very close, like within 1/4" or so, but touching is not required.

But hey, I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with the little details if you're not yet using it. I've been using it since early 2013. Believe me, I've been there and done that when it comes to NFC tap to pay! When I first started using it, it was very unreliable. I quickly learned to have my credit card out and handy in case tap to pay didn't work.

Fair enough as you have first hand experience in regards to NFC tap to pay, however like I said it varies from implementation to implementation hence some require physical contact others need to be very close but not touching. The current implementation that is widely in use in the UK is Visa's "contactless" payment system. Which requires you to touch the reader & hold until authentication completes.

Also I have been following this since I heard rumours of the citi bank trial, as I said previously NFC payment tech has been around 4+ years and the adoption rate has been very slow.

Citi launches NFC payments pilot in India - Mobile Commerce Daily - Payments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes