Revolutionary New Features! Watching the LiveBlog...

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Key *NEW* Features!
-Bigger Display (like everyone else)
-NFC (like everyone else)
-Optical Image Stabilization (like everyone else)
-Best Shot (like everyone else)
-Swipey Keyboard (like everyone else)
-Available in 16GB, skips 32GB and gouges for 64GB (unlike everyone else)

But seriously, it does seem like they got some things right, simply because they have such a huge following. The catching up to tech available on other platforms is a huge thing for iPhone users, and the press there is practically wetting their pants. Notable things was the phase detection focus on the camera, the video modes with 240fps, and the pretty secure sounding ePayment system.

What did you think?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The first wave of smart watches got me interested in the product, but I have to say, reading about the Moto 360 yesterday and the iWatch today, I realize that I am so glad that I held out. To me, there is no compelling reason to have a smartwatch. If I want to know what is happening with my phone, I'll pull it out of my pocket. It's hardly a cumbersome process, I do it mindlessly dozens of times a day. Unless someone introduces a truly remarkable smart watch, I am completely over the idea.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ApplePay seems like a giant proprietary solution to a very small problem. I can't see it catching on with only iPhone 6 as a user base.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I watched the live blog from Apple's website. A solid update but I was surprised that nothing completely blew me away. Usually there's at least something. Even the iWatch was like meh. Plus, I was really surprised to hear that it's not launching until next year. It's not usually like Apple to announce a mobile product a few months in advance. I'm liking the NFC but more and more proprietary systems is only going to limit NFC deployment, not increase it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
ApplePay seems like a giant proprietary solution to a very small problem. I can't see it catching on with only iPhone 6 as a user base.

The user base for NFC tap to pay is much larger than the iPhone 6. Lots of Androids have it. I've been using it for a year and a half already, that is, at the few places around here who have the capability. iPhone having the feature will hopefully make it mainstream.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that the lazy media won't point out that those features are just playing catch up to what other phones already have. They are too scared of causing the stock price to dip so they continue to make up all of this crap about how great Apple is.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
From four years ago:

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that." We're assuming he's likely talking about the latest crop of 4-, 4.3- and 5-inch phones that include the Galaxy S series, the EVO 4G, Droid X, and Dell Streak, even going so far as to call them "Hummers"

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

The iPhone 6 user base would eventually be large enough to be a significant player in the payment space. I do like the concept and approach, but absolutely hate the idea that Apple would be the one calling the shots. They will screw people over, and their fans would happily bend over to take it in.

The thing with the iPhone 6 starting at 16GB, and jumping to 64GB? There's no reason for that, other than to screw people over, and force you to pay more.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
what I hate hearing on a daily basis is how the new Windows Phone isn't worth getting because of all the people they laid off and how they are not moving forward. I have been contemplating going to Samsung and I do like some of what Apple showed. Oh and todays rants from the Apple fanboys is how NFC for Windows will disappear because of what Apple has done. Microsoft seems to be too quiet about new things coming or what is not coming

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
It's a shame that the lazy media won't point out that those features are just playing catch up to what other phones already have. They are too scared of causing the stock price to dip so they continue to make up all of this crap about how great Apple is.

They do point it out, but most average consumers didn't notice. The iphone is a name so now they probably will.

ciscomoto

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The only platform I have not used to-date has been anything running Apple IOS.

I thought this was a decent release of a larger phone to attract those folk Apple lost because they wanted a bigger display, I suspect many may go back to Apple when the 6+ is released - though I don't think the 6 will engender a major shift. Just my opinion.

The faster processor, better graphics, improved battery, extra sensors, more LTE bands, WiFi speed up, WiFi Callimg, improved camera and strengthened glass are all positives, as well as the thinner (not sure if it is lighter?) profile. Also jumping on the NFC bandwagon but backing it with their payment processing (and fingerprint confirmation) is quite a solid move and with their name backing it may just shift perception to phone payment.

I've had three bad experiences with Lumia, and it has been enough to think about a move, and since I've done Symbian, Blackberry, Android and Windows phone I may consider the iPhone 6. I'd have to see and play with it to test the water, and since there are some decent Windows Phone and Android options coming up it will make it interesting.

So...bring them on...
c

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not about having NFC enabled devices or not, it's about getting all those partners aboard.

The way I understand NFC payment, it basically sends your payment information, which is what the magnetic stripe on your credit card does. Some credit cards actually have this functionality. I don't see how Apple Pay itself is so important. The vendors need to have NFC terminals. Google Wallet has been doing for a long time what Apple Pay will do.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Well that, and the media is scared they won't be invited back to the next revolutionary update to iWhatever announcement.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not about having NFC enabled devices or not, it's about getting all those partners aboard.

This.

Such that I've emailed a couple companies such as Square for the ePayment system, and Jawbone (before today's post) about a WP app. The gist of what they say is that the marketshare is too small, yet the only way the marketshare would increase is to develop for it. So, no one gets anywhere because of this. Companies like Facebook in particular (just large companies in general) have no excuse not to develop for WP, and the one MS made for them don't count. With an effload of cash, how much can it POSSIBLY cost to develop an app? There's something else going on, and it's not about not wanting to develop on WP from an investment perspective. My theory is that the folks that has gotten drunk off the Apple Kool Aid back when are the ones in the position to decide where development goes. And who wouldn't want to kill off a 3rd choice platform? #conspiracy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb