Revolutionary New Features! Watching the LiveBlog...

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had three bad experiences with Lumia, and it has been enough to think about a move, and since I've done Symbian, Blackberry, Android and Windows phone I may consider the iPhone 6. I'd have to see and play with it to test the water, and since there are some decent Windows Phone and Android options coming up it will make it interesting.

So...bring them on...
c

Go for it, or just try out iOS on a non-contract device such as their iPod Touches. You'll have access to a lot of apps - way more than you know what to do with, but at the end of the day you may find the UI cumbersome. Once you've used WP's UI with Live Tiles, everything else just seems so... I dunno, meh?

The way I understand NFC payment, it basically sends your payment information, which is what the magnetic stripe on your credit card does. Some credit cards actually have this functionality. I don't see how Apple Pay itself is so important. The vendors need to have NFC terminals. Google Wallet has been doing for a long time what Apple Pay will do.

With the Apple payment, your credit card number does not stay static. That's pretty good security there in my opinion, and is one of the key features of how it works on their device.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
The way I understand NFC payment, it basically sends your payment information, which is what the magnetic stripe on your credit card does. Some credit cards actually have this functionality. I don't see how Apple Pay itself is so important. The vendors need to have NFC terminals. Google Wallet has been doing for a long time what Apple Pay will do.

Well, you're right. The point I wanted to make is that though Microsoft (or Nokia) have started to build NFC enabled devices way earlier it hasn't solved a problem that an ordinary consumer would have. Apple appears to have partnered with big companies in order to solve that problem (to be clear: I'm talking about creating opportunities in stores to use them for payment purposes), and that's what matters more at the end of the day (unless you are a "specnophobe" who needs to check NFC off in order to be satisfied).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
With the Apple payment, your credit card number does not stay static. That's pretty good security there in my opinion, and is one of the key features of how it works on their device.

Google Wallet works the same way. The vendor doesn't get your credit card number. In fact, you can for example use an American Express card to fund a payment to a vendor that does not even accept American Express.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're right. The point I wanted to make is that though Microsoft (or Nokia) have started to build NFC enabled devices way earlier it hasn't solved a problem that an ordinary consumer would have. Apple appears to have partnered with big companies in order to solve that problem (to be clear: I'm talking about creating opportunities in stores to use them for payment purposes), and that's what matters more at the end of the day (unless you are a "specnophobe" who needs to check NFC off in order to be satisfied).
This....
Thank you... :)
Use of the word specnophobe...price less! (I hope you meant specnophile?)

Branden Lucero

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is playing catch up to. you can knock Apple an iphone all you want, Windows Phone is on the same tourist attraction as iPhone, where as Android is the one running the show by always being a step ahead.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup apple just invented all the features (and more) mentioned by the OP by magic.. I threw the spec sheet into a whatsapp group of apple fanatics and surprisingly not one single comment. Probably they are all out getting drunk on "pure" apple ciders :grin: .

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
The phase detect pixel is great for differentiation factor, just like the OIS introduced by the Lumia 910.
Actually… something that need new hardware such as OIS, dedicated sensor processor (M7, SensorCore), optical zoom (Sharp from last decade, but home market only), fingerprint reader (Fujitsu from last decade, but home market only) will have more Wow compared to something that "can be done with software", thanks to Google's "free" mindset where software is worthless (can't put price tag on it).

I hope Microsoft would implement that idea from Nokia about putting physical shutter leaves for phone camera.

As for the iPhone 6, quite disappointed that they don't stuff in a thermometer into that thing together with the barometer. Imagine the weather data collecting apps that would starts pouring garbage data into the cloud.

From four years ago:
Well, he's no longer around to stop Tim from doing it.

PS: The first picture in their camera introduction made me cringe with the clipping under the stone arch.
But well… small sensor camera.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
my lumia 930 can easily match that phone, but..... the applewatch -although really really ugly IMO- has this YO style communication that i see a potential to it, the silly part is that every other manufacturer can copy that with an app, so i dont think it will be a key feature, but a nice one.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is playing catch up to. you can knock Apple an iphone all you want, Windows Phone is on the same tourist attraction as iPhone, where as Android is the one running the show by always being a step ahead.

Aside from the fact we have had NFC and larger screens for a while now - yeah - we are still playing catch up to Apple. Good observation

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the fact we have had NFC and larger screens for a while now - yeah - we are still playing catch up to Apple. Good observation

WP still does not have NFC payment, which is the major feature of Apple's NFC. WP's NFC is still quite limited in function.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I think the Apple Watch reveal was pretty underwhelming. I truly think its gonna kill the concept of a full featured smart watch for a while, at least for a cycle or two of hardware revs to get the tech thinner and the UI for a full feature set worked out. The AW UI isn't it - it just isn't.

I don't think Apple really wanted to introduce the Watch just yet, but as a victim of their success, had to in order to placate the media, analysts, and as mentioned before, not let Samsung completely dominate and define the category.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I learned a new fashion term: INFINITY SCARF.

It has to say something about an unveiling of a product when a dude wearing a purple scarf starts trending as much as your product.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Key *NEW* Features!
-Bigger Display (like everyone else)
-NFC (like everyone else)
-Optical Image Stabilization (like everyone else)
-Best Shot (like everyone else)
-Swipey Keyboard (like everyone else)
-Available in 16GB, skips 32GB and gouges for 64GB (unlike everyone else)

But seriously, it does seem like they got some things right, simply because they have such a huge following. The catching up to tech available on other platforms is a huge thing for iPhone users, and the press there is practically wetting their pants. Notable things was the phase detection focus on the camera, the video modes with 240fps, and the pretty secure sounding ePayment system.

What did you think?

Starting a post like this on a forum like this makes me say: You're jealous that you can't afford (well, let's say simply won't buy) the iPhone 6. And don't be shy because I'm also banging my head on every single stone for leaving iOS and Apple's hardware because it's better, every second I use the 1320 it just doesn't do the trick.

Yes, it may have the same hardware but it's simple: A car is a car. But a Rolls isn't a Dacia ;-) and that's just it. They make it in such a way that people want it, including me and many many more people here on this forum.

Those are not at all Revolutionary features. I wonder when people will come out of iCrap pool. #moreLumia was way better.

No the features aren't new. But they work so much better than any other phone. And because they are Apple, all the creditcard companies stand in line screaming "I WANNA BE FIRST!!!!!" ... if Microsoft would make 'MS Pay' they'll all run away (with their money offcourse) because Apple has this history. Thanks to Steve J. obviously and some really fantastic products in the past.

And don't forget: You've got your Nokia thanks to the iPhone ;)

I don't know about that, I kind of like Samsung's Galaxy Gear Fit. Has all the major features cover and looks cool.
Taste is different but that doesn't look cool in my eyes. It looks nerdy (which is fine!) but I won't wear it. I would deliberately forget about it and hide it together with my leaked naked photos from iCloud... oops!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99