09-23-2014 11:31 PM
156 1234 ...
tools
    Att has broken presale records on new iPhones......no matter what we say about apples new phones.......none of our windowsphones have ever broken any presale records!
    09-17-2014 10:31 AM
    As soon as Microsoft releases a 64 bit phone with a 64 bit platform and a fingerprint reader I might be inclined to return, but until then I'm getting an iPhone 6+ on Friday.
    Overly excited about very silly gimmicks being sold to you? I'm sorry, there is nothing Windows Phone has for you. You'd be much better off following Apple or Samsung, they seem to have just what you think you want! ;)
    09-17-2014 10:49 AM
    Overly excited about very silly gimmicks being sold to you? I'm sorry, there is nothing Windows Phone has for you. You'd be much better off following Apple or Samsung, they seem to have just what you think you want! ;)
    Not gimmicks for me.
    Touch ID and 64 bit are two features I currently can't live without.

Actually, fingerprint scanners ARE old technology, judgeing by your response you were probably not around in the early 90s to have one on your laptop computer. And they are no longer there because they were and are unreliable. My Father's IP5 scanner worked only about 40% of the time, and got so annoying that it's shut off. Then theres 64 bit. Yes, it could be a good feature if ANY PROGRAMS or APPS actually used it. That's a smoke and mirrors spec by apple to make you think your getting a super fast phone, when my "un revoloutionary", un hip in the eyes of holywood (god help me), nokia windows phone is just as fast and smooth as anything released from the great minds at Cupertino.

Next up, REALLY? You buy a phone because HOLYWOOD thinks their cool? Really? that is the lamest most fanboy'ish reason to buy anything I have ever heard.

That's too funny! I almost snorted beer out my nose when I read that. ha ha ha.

I agree with the above. We had NFC for ages, but lordy lordy look was is "new and revoloutionary" in the land of the turtle neck, NFC. Everyone else stole that idea 2 years ago from apple....ha ha ha. I am going to sell black turtle necks with apple logos on them for 150 a piece because they have a built in new revolutionary neck warmer.
    Well my digital persona fingerprint scanner from the 90's pales in comparison to Touch ID. First Time I have used a fingerprint reader covered in sapphire, pretty innovative, but I'm talking from first hand experience not he said she said.

Your father is probably using his wrong. ;)

Regarding 64 bit, ios has been 64 bit native since last year, and all apps in the AppStore have been 64 bit since February, you should brush up on current events before contributing nonsense.

Only one bringing up Hollywood is yourself, don't really know why though. Sheep mentality?

Good for you, having NFC for ages, I fail to see the relevance.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 09-22-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    09-17-2014 11:15 AM
    Not gimmicks for me.
    Touch ID and 64 bit are two features I currently can't live without.
    I am genuinely excited to hear how you wouldn't be able to live without a 64-bit iPhone!
    Yanano Bere and DHHSMichael like this.
    09-17-2014 11:22 AM
    64 bit has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with memory support. Since the phone has 1GB of memory the 64 bit architecture means absolutely nothing. In fact, 64 bit programs will use more memory than their 32 bit counterparts to account for the additional memory registers.

When individual apps can use over 3GB of memory on a phone or when the phone ships with over 3.5GB, then it will be worth moving to a 64 bit CPU. If you think any different you have no idea what you're talking about.
    09-17-2014 11:34 AM
    Not gimmicks for me. 64 bit is one features I currently can't live without.
    Why not?
    09-17-2014 12:44 PM
    I am genuinely excited to hear how you wouldn't be able to live without a 64-bit iPhone!
    :) if you don't know, pick up an iPhone 6 or 6+ and see for yourself.

The a8 is Apples second generation 64 bit processor and coupled with ios 8 (64bit platform utilizing metal and extensibility framework) with 64 bit apps, it just a very powerful phone in a very small package.
    09-17-2014 01:33 PM
    Yes, only a 64-bit sapphire flux capacitor for me! I see now the wisdom in Apple naming their new cable conifg "Lightning" last rev. And now a "Watch!" As soon as battery tech reaches a 1.21 Gigawatt density we'll have the holy grail: a time travelling iHover!

(Dibs on the iHover trademark!)
    a5cent and Kevin Rush like this.
    09-17-2014 02:47 PM
    Not even remotely interested. The last time Apple did something interesting or innovative in my eyes in the mobile phone industry is well over 4 years ago, at the very least.
    09-17-2014 05:28 PM
    I agree coreldan. Apple is stagnant.
    09-17-2014 08:24 PM
    Well, color me gone. I pre-ordered the 6+. Once it arrives I am selling off my Lumia 1020. I never thought I would go back to Apple, but I am. And I am looking so forward to it. Printing from my phone. Excellent!
    09-17-2014 09:57 PM
    64 bit has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with memory support. Since the phone has 1GB of memory the 64 bit architecture means absolutely nothing. In fact, 64 bit programs will use more memory than their 32 bit counterparts to account for the additional memory registers.

When individual apps can use over 3GB of memory on a phone or when the phone ships with over 3.5GB, then it will be worth moving to a 64 bit CPU. If you think any different you have no idea what you're talking about.
    64-bit is about more than more RAM.
    FFR likes this.
    09-17-2014 10:04 PM
    I'm really hoping that Microsoft will announce a few game changers soon as well. Otherwise, their market share will drop and people will lose interest. The 830 and 735 are great, but not what I would call "game changers". Still waiting for Microsoft's smart watch too...
    And I'm just waiting for a game changer to land on T-Mobile. But with the continued trend of exclusive devices the Sony Xperia Z3 will probably be my next phone as soon as it comes out as the HTC One for Windows won't be available until around Christmas I presume. Oddly enough Windows Phone has been my first modern OS as I have been here since it debuted. I think its time for something new.
    09-17-2014 10:07 PM
    I'm going to buy a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus as my contract is up, just so I can sell it on eBay for the profit.
    It is the phone that I would move to if I was going to leave Windows Phone, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. I hate Google/Android so wouldn't consider any phone running that.
    If Microsoft drop the ball on Windows Phone 9 and/or don't release any new flagship phones in 1Q of 2015 then I will reconsider my position.
    09-17-2014 10:16 PM
    I've always admired Apples innovation and creativity, but I can't justify the price tag. Eight years ago the iPhone was a breath of fresh air, it was new, different, it wasn't Microsoft which seemed to encompass corporate monotony. Even then, as intrigued as I was, I couldn't get over the price point. Apple became a status symbol. The iPhone has been riding the coat tails of past success and impeccable timing. What does the iPhone provide now, that is leaps and bounds better than WP? I see it as the iPhone reached its zenith. I find WP 8.1 more intuitive, more inquisitive. From the peoples hub integration to live tiles providing a visually stimulating gambit of information. Live folders and the best camera technology. Top it off with Cortana, and WP is just getting started. Want to track your cycling, try Bing Health and Fitness. It's the most inclusive fitness app I've used. Despite the barrage of complaints about Xbox music, I still think its better than iTunes, and there's also mixradio. There's nothing that I can't do with the bank app shortcut I pinned to my start screen that an official app could, so its not that serious. WP just seems to have more room for growth and so you have a sort of role reversal.
    brdl04 likes this.
    09-17-2014 10:39 PM
    First off, a disclaimer: I am not an Apple "fan boy" or an iSheep. If your only retort is to call me either, don't bother.

The fact that NFC and a wallet-style payment system came late to the iPhone? Doesn't matter.
    The fact that fingerprint scanners on laptops didn't work well in the 90s? Doesn't matter.
    The fact that the 1520 has better specs than the iPhone 6? Doesn't matter to anyone except the 3% market share Windows Phone users.

What matters is that Apple will bring NFC and ApplePay into the mainstream. They'll get retailer and vendor support unlike anyone's ever had. What matters is that Apple brought the fingerprint scanner back into the mainstream, and the iPhone's fingerprint scanner works. Reliably. What matters is that if your iPhone doesn't work, Apple has stores all over the place which will make it right. What matters is that when Apple releases an OS update, it's available to ALL iPhones when they say it will be available... not two months later.

Microsoft... hasn't done any of that. They might get there one day, but until then? Apple will ALWAYS dominate.

For me, well, I updated two iPhones to iOS 8 today, the day it was released, only two weeks or so after I was finally able to upgrade my Lumia 820 (the software for which was released two months ago). When my iPhone 5s contract is up, I will upgrade to the iPhone 6. But I'm not bailing for it; I still have my 820 and use it. It's just not my daily driver because the iPhone, well, it just works. And it works well.
    09-17-2014 10:41 PM
    I will never buy an iPhone, because-
    No sd card slot
    No fm
    No file manager
    No Bluetooth ftp
    No MTP/PnP
    Have to rely on iTunes for syncing
    No micro USB(Really?!)
    No wireless charging
    No removable battery
    No amoled display
    Dated hardware(see benchmarks)
    Way too overpriced
    No glance/notification led
    No double tap to wake
    Mediocre camera (8mp in 2014? C'mon!)
    No camera button
    No offline maps
    No fb integration
    No clear black polarizer (sunlight legibility sucks)
    Keyboard sucks (they just recently added text prediction after 7 years, and it still sucks. No inbuilt WordFlow)

And many more......

I remember how Steve jobs firmly said that 3.5 inches was the perfect size for iPhone. The big screen market got big,iSheep said firmly that 3.5 inches was perfect, when they saw androids and WPs using big displays. Now apple has jumped into the big screen bandwagon, they say that Android copied iPhone. Next year they will claim they invented the stylus, whereas Steve jobs originally said-"Who wants a stylus? Nobody wants a stylus! " Apple has run out of innovation. They have a marketing hype on their side, and that's it. Never gonna buy anything ever with an apple logo on it. Even my $20 Nokia dumb phone has a file manager, sd card slot, fm, removable battery.
    Last edited by S Vaibhav; 09-22-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    09-17-2014 11:20 PM
    My Humble Opinion:
    64-bit is gimmick, that's a fact.
    At least right now. BUT, only for now, because Apple antecipated the 64-bit chip and OS so the developer can already build 64-bit apps. So when the RAM reach 4 gb's the apps are already optimized. Microsoft can't wait until 4 gb RAM is a thing on smartphones, they need to anticipate.

Touch-ID it's not a gimmick, it's a real useful feature and that's a fact too. Let's be honest PLEASE.
    Ok, fingerprint scanners are old as hell, but they weren't implented in a smart way, right now the only phones that implemented in a useful way was the iPhone and the Ascend Mate 7 (no one knows this one.). So Microsoft need to implement it.

NFC payments, ok WP and Android have this for while, but let's analyse this, Google and Microsoft built their digital wallets but they didn't partnered with companies to spread the feature, and Apple did. So right now Apple users will use it more than the Google and Microsoft ones. Got it?
    Anyway it doesn't matter because Apple is helping popularize the NFC payments, win for us, win for them.
    09-17-2014 11:38 PM
    Not this guy, still impressed with my recently obtained Lumia 1020, even if it is from 2013.
    prasath1234 and Kevin Rush like this.
    09-17-2014 11:58 PM
    First off, a disclaimer: I am not an Apple "fan boy" or an iSheep. If your only retort is to call me either, don't bother.

The fact that NFC and a wallet-style payment system came late to the iPhone? Doesn't matter.
    The fact that fingerprint scanners on laptops didn't work well in the 90s? Doesn't matter.
    The fact that the 1520 has better specs than the iPhone 6? Doesn't matter to anyone except the 3% market share Windows Phone users.

What matters is that Apple will bring NFC and ApplePay into the mainstream. They'll get retailer and vendor support unlike anyone's ever had. What matters is that Apple brought the fingerprint scanner back into the mainstream, and the iPhone's fingerprint scanner works. Reliably. What matters is that if your iPhone doesn't work, Apple has stores all over the place which will make it right. What matters is that when Apple releases an OS update, it's available to ALL iPhones when they say it will be available... not two months later.

Microsoft... hasn't done any of that. They might get there one day, but until then? Apple will ALWAYS dominate.

For me, well, I updated two iPhones to iOS 8 today, the day it was released, only two weeks or so after I was finally able to upgrade my Lumia 820 (the software for which was released two months ago). When my iPhone 5s contract is up, I will upgrade to the iPhone 6. But I'm not bailing for it; I still have my 820 and use it. It's just not my daily driver because the iPhone, well, it just works. And it works well.
    Apple is the only company that produces iPhones, so they control everything. It's a whole lot easier to update everything when you own everything. That's the reality the Apple lives in. MSFT has always been a provider for others so its not the easiest to control everything. Now I've heard horror stories of taking in damaged iPhones that didn't end as conveniently as you mentioned. Specs don't tell the whole story, but I would say that comparing your 5S to your 820 is like a race car to a beater. Remember the 820 like the 920 was the first set of WP 8 phones to come out. There was no developers preview which allows you to experience the benefits of the update until the official update. My 1520 albeit a year old is a more viable comparison to the 5S or 6plus. Specs are not the half of it.
    09-18-2014 12:19 AM
    Apple just recently added text prediction in ios 8. Took them 7 years lol
    Does anyone remember that it wasn't until iOS 3 that the iPhone had copy/paste? Or a landscape keyboard for email? Or MMS? Nope.
    mister2d likes this.
    09-18-2014 12:22 AM
    Apple is the only company that produces iPhones, so they control everything.
    I'm finding it very hard to not reply with, "well, duh." But now, with the purchase of Nokia's hardware manufactory, Microsoft can be in the same position. Will they? Doubtful.

Specs don't tell the whole story, but I would say that comparing your 5S to your 820 is like a race car to a beater.
    I'm not comparing my 5S to my 820 *except* in how quickly the respective OSs get updated after the update is announced. I never said anything about comparing specs.
    09-18-2014 12:34 AM
    The lumia 925 released two years ago is the iPhone 6 guys. Can't see a feature set that deserves the price tag apple puts on the iPhone. It costs approximately Rs. 53000 in India. Right now the Lumia 925 is around Rs. 26,000. Touch ID, super slo-mo and 64 bits for double the cost? And there's practically no app gap in India for WP. Looks, features, display, NFC, smoothness of UI, camera, OIS, sound, audio quality of phone calls etc are all so 2 years ago.. Heck the 830 is 925 repackaged with 10 mp shooter.

There's only one feature that I really covet in iPhone. When you click, the photo is taken.. that's amazing. Other than that no usability downsides for a two-year old phone.

wp_20140916_005-2-.jpg

Maybe it's the wallpaper and Brand Microsoft is not equal to Brand Apple.

p.s. Used nokia phones until the iPhone came out in 2007, got one immediately until the Lumia 800 and wp 7.5 were released.
    09-18-2014 03:11 AM

Please tell them. 64 Bit may be forward thinking but it's definitely unnecessary as of the moment.
    Lee Hayes, berty6294 and mister2d like this.
    09-18-2014 05:25 AM
    I agree with you completely its a sales pitch aimed at the masses that would not understand it, typical apple!
    09-18-2014 05:40 AM
156 1234 ...