Anyone bailing for the iPhone 6 or 6+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
First off, a disclaimer: I am not an Apple "fan boy" or an iSheep. If your only retort is to call me either, don't bother.

The fact that NFC and a wallet-style payment system came late to the iPhone? Doesn't matter.
The fact that fingerprint scanners on laptops didn't work well in the 90s? Doesn't matter.
The fact that the 1520 has better specs than the iPhone 6? Doesn't matter to anyone except the 3% market share Windows Phone users.

What matters is that Apple will bring NFC and ApplePay into the mainstream. They'll get retailer and vendor support unlike anyone's ever had. What matters is that Apple brought the fingerprint scanner back into the mainstream, and the iPhone's fingerprint scanner works. Reliably. What matters is that if your iPhone doesn't work, Apple has stores all over the place which will make it right. What matters is that when Apple releases an OS update, it's available to ALL iPhones when they say it will be available... not two months later.

Microsoft... hasn't done any of that. They might get there one day, but until then? Apple will ALWAYS dominate.

For me, well, I updated two iPhones to iOS 8 today, the day it was released, only two weeks or so after I was finally able to upgrade my Lumia 820 (the software for which was released two months ago). When my iPhone 5s contract is up, I will upgrade to the iPhone 6. But I'm not bailing for it; I still have my 820 and use it. It's just not my daily driver because the iPhone, well, it just works. And it works well.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I will never buy an iPhone, because-
No sd card slot
No fm
No file manager
No Bluetooth ftp
No MTP/PnP
Have to rely on iTunes for syncing
No micro USB(Really?!)
No wireless charging
No removable battery
No amoled display
Dated hardware(see benchmarks)
Way too overpriced
No glance/notification led
No double tap to wake
Mediocre camera (8mp in 2014? C'mon!)
No camera button
No offline maps
No fb integration
No clear black polarizer (sunlight legibility sucks)
Keyboard sucks (they just recently added text prediction after 7 years, and it still sucks. No inbuilt WordFlow)

And many more......

I remember how Steve jobs firmly said that 3.5 inches was the perfect size for iPhone. The big screen market got big,iSheep said firmly that 3.5 inches was perfect, when they saw androids and WPs using big displays. Now apple has jumped into the big screen bandwagon, they say that Android copied iPhone. Next year they will claim they invented the stylus, whereas Steve jobs originally said-"Who wants a stylus? Nobody wants a stylus! " Apple has run out of innovation. They have a marketing hype on their side, and that's it. Never gonna buy anything ever with an apple logo on it. Even my $20 Nokia dumb phone has a file manager, sd card slot, fm, removable battery.

Last edited:

AndersonSilvaR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My Humble Opinion:
64-bit is gimmick, that's a fact.
At least right now. BUT, only for now, because Apple antecipated the 64-bit chip and OS so the developer can already build 64-bit apps. So when the RAM reach 4 gb's the apps are already optimized. Microsoft can't wait until 4 gb RAM is a thing on smartphones, they need to anticipate.

Touch-ID it's not a gimmick, it's a real useful feature and that's a fact too. Let's be honest PLEASE.
Ok, fingerprint scanners are old as hell, but they weren't implented in a smart way, right now the only phones that implemented in a useful way was the iPhone and the Ascend Mate 7 (no one knows this one.). So Microsoft need to implement it.

NFC payments, ok WP and Android have this for while, but let's analyse this, Google and Microsoft built their digital wallets but they didn't partnered with companies to spread the feature, and Apple did. So right now Apple users will use it more than the Google and Microsoft ones. Got it?
Anyway it doesn't matter because Apple is helping popularize the NFC payments, win for us, win for them.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
First off, a disclaimer: I am not an Apple "fan boy" or an iSheep. If your only retort is to call me either, don't bother.

The fact that NFC and a wallet-style payment system came late to the iPhone? Doesn't matter.
The fact that fingerprint scanners on laptops didn't work well in the 90s? Doesn't matter.
The fact that the 1520 has better specs than the iPhone 6? Doesn't matter to anyone except the 3% market share Windows Phone users.

What matters is that Apple will bring NFC and ApplePay into the mainstream. They'll get retailer and vendor support unlike anyone's ever had. What matters is that Apple brought the fingerprint scanner back into the mainstream, and the iPhone's fingerprint scanner works. Reliably. What matters is that if your iPhone doesn't work, Apple has stores all over the place which will make it right. What matters is that when Apple releases an OS update, it's available to ALL iPhones when they say it will be available... not two months later.

Microsoft... hasn't done any of that. They might get there one day, but until then? Apple will ALWAYS dominate.

For me, well, I updated two iPhones to iOS 8 today, the day it was released, only two weeks or so after I was finally able to upgrade my Lumia 820 (the software for which was released two months ago). When my iPhone 5s contract is up, I will upgrade to the iPhone 6. But I'm not bailing for it; I still have my 820 and use it. It's just not my daily driver because the iPhone, well, it just works. And it works well.

Apple is the only company that produces iPhones, so they control everything. It's a whole lot easier to update everything when you own everything. That's the reality the Apple lives in. MSFT has always been a provider for others so its not the easiest to control everything. Now I've heard horror stories of taking in damaged iPhones that didn't end as conveniently as you mentioned. Specs don't tell the whole story, but I would say that comparing your 5S to your 820 is like a race car to a beater. Remember the 820 like the 920 was the first set of WP 8 phones to come out. There was no developers preview which allows you to experience the benefits of the update until the official update. My 1520 albeit a year old is a more viable comparison to the 5S or 6plus. Specs are not the half of it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple is the only company that produces iPhones, so they control everything.

I'm finding it very hard to not reply with, "well, duh." But now, with the purchase of Nokia's hardware manufactory, Microsoft can be in the same position. Will they? Doubtful.

Specs don't tell the whole story, but I would say that comparing your 5S to your 820 is like a race car to a beater.

I'm not comparing my 5S to my 820 *except* in how quickly the respective OSs get updated after the update is announced. I never said anything about comparing specs.

andrewsam

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The lumia 925 released two years ago is the iPhone 6 guys. Can't see a feature set that deserves the price tag apple puts on the iPhone. It costs approximately Rs. 53000 in India. Right now the Lumia 925 is around Rs. 26,000. Touch ID, super slo-mo and 64 bits for double the cost? And there's practically no app gap in India for WP. Looks, features, display, NFC, smoothness of UI, camera, OIS, sound, audio quality of phone calls etc are all so 2 years ago.. Heck the 830 is 925 repackaged with 10 mp shooter.

There's only one feature that I really covet in iPhone. When you click, the photo is taken.. that's amazing. Other than that no usability downsides for a two-year old phone.

WP_20140916_005(2).jpg

Maybe it's the wallpaper :sweaty: and Brand Microsoft is not equal to Brand Apple.

p.s. Used nokia phones until the iPhone came out in 2007, got one immediately until the Lumia 800 and wp 7.5 were released.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
64 bit has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with memory support. Since the phone has 1GB of memory the 64 bit architecture means absolutely nothing. In fact, 64 bit programs will use more memory than their 32 bit counterparts to account for the additional memory registers.

When individual apps can use over 3GB of memory on a phone or when the phone ships with over 3.5GB, then it will be worth moving to a 64 bit CPU. If you think any different you have no idea what you're talking about.

Please tell them. 64 Bit may be forward thinking but it's definitely unnecessary as of the moment.

j666w

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
have my iphone 6+ ordered going to take 3 - 4 weeks but I am not bailing still going to be using my 1020 and will definetly be buying the next wp8 device that exites me :)

i am a happy wp8 user !!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
64 bit has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with memory support. Since the phone has 1GB of memory the 64 bit architecture means absolutely nothing. In fact, 64 bit programs will use more memory than their 32 bit counterparts to account for the additional memory registers.

When individual apps can use over 3GB of memory on a phone or when the phone ships with over 3.5GB, then it will be worth moving to a 64 bit CPU. If you think any different you have no idea what you're talking about.
ok that being said ... If the same game runs smoother on the new iPhones with " 64 bit" than our 1gb windowsphones guess what customers are going to want ...smoother running apps regardless of gigabytes or bits the phone has. So if games and apps are running smoother on iPhones that's what's going to sell hence record breaking preorders!!

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Why are people still talking about specs? Regular people don't care about specs, at all. They care about a friendly UI, and good apps. Maybe apple hasn't put out anything groundbreaking for awhile, (that's fine by most), but they have consistently put out an excellent phone, which is more than I can say for any other company. As for price, most top end phones are about the same price, at least with iphone you're paying for unparalleled design and build quality.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why are people still talking about specs? Regular people don't care about specs, at all.

Because the non-techy crowd has no idea what they want or should care about, so they ALWAYS consult others for advice. People like shop sales staff, the tech press, or the tech geek friend or family member. These are a minority group, but they have a huge influence on what sells and what doesn't. With the exception of the Apple faithful, this group cares very much about specs (unfortunately). Their influence makes them a very important marketing target, and spec sheets are directed precisely at that group (again, except for Apple).

Last edited:

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Because the non-techy crowd has no idea what they want or should care about, so they ALWAYS consult others for advice. People like shop sales staff, the tech press, or the tech geek friend or family member. These are a minority group, but they have a huge influence on what sells and what doesn't. With the exception of the Apple faithful, this group cares very much about specs (unfortunately). Their influence makes them a very important marketing target, and spec sheets are directed precisely at that group (again, except for Apple).

I guess, but I rarely find someone I can talk to about specs in person. Besides my wife, but I know she really doesn't listen. Ha.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess, but I rarely find someone I can talk to about specs in person. Besides my wife, but I know she really doesn't listen. Ha.

Any Android enthusiast or PC gamer will generally engage in specs-discussions. Those are large groups. Millions of people.

The entire Android marketing industry is built around spec sheet optimization. That wouldn't be the case if it wasn't effective. Even here at WPC you can see, on a daily basis, how the continual drive for higher camera MP counts, despite having long surpassed the point where they matter (for smartphones) has a strong influence on buying decisions.

Specs are not the only way to market hardware, but they are the prefered choice for most hardware companies.

Last edited:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Specs do matter. Whether you measure screen size, screen dpi, RAM size, storage space, CPU architecture, MP or benchmark metrics; someone is looking at at-least one of those to make their decision. Even Apple die hards. Even the OS and software features depend on specs. With latter OS's and features requiring faster processors, RAM, and even dedicated image chips

I can guarantee you that 2.5 years from now, flagships of today will not be desirable due to old specs.

To original question, the first reason I will not bail is because I like the Microsoft/UI ecosystem over Apple/UI. Other reasons deal with specs:)
iPhone 6 has an inferior camera, smaller screen, less memory, less storage, and cost more than a fully decked 1520.

But that fingerprint scanner is sweet. Give me that and IR blaster from M8 Windows and 64 bit/2K for future proof in my next WP device and you can color me pink!

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Microsoft will announce a few game changers soon as well. Otherwise, their market share will drop and people will lose interest. The 830 and 735 are great, but not what I would call "game changers". Still waiting for Microsoft's smart watch too...

Microsoft Keeps shooting itself in the foot. Releasing all their apps on IOS kinda gives people maybe on the fence for getting iPhone or WP would not have any insensitive to come to WP. First they released Office for the Ipad which really hurt WP and Surface sales. I wont be surprised if they have Cortana for Iphone in the coming months. MS is just killing itself. Your right they need some killer apps but keep them on WP.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Keeps shooting itself in the foot. Releasing all their apps on IOS kinda gives people maybe on the fence for getting iPhone or WP would not have any insensitive to come to WP. First they released Office for the Ipad which really hurt WP and Surface sales. I wont be surprised if they have Cortana for Iphone in the coming months. MS is just killing itself. Your right they need some killer apps but keep them on WP.

I disagree with this. I try to be pragmatic sometimes:) Microsoft knows they will not stop sales of iPad, just too many people jumping over the cliff after another follower. So if iPad sales will not stop, then those people will need something for presentations/documentations. If Office wasn't ported, then Apple would make their own software or those users on Google Docs would grow. Either case, it would eliminate the need for Office and dry up a lucrative Microsoft revenue generator.

So Microsoft is smart by porting Office to iPad. It shuts down Apple's plan of getting into document creation and mitigates Google Docs while at the same time increases user base for Office. Now on the flip side, I've thought about Cortana and I don't see any revenue protecting reason to give up Cortana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss