Anyone bailing for the iPhone 6 or 6+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Am I purchasing a first generation hardware model and initial release operating system?

For me, the answer is a resounding NO which applies to any technology hardware and software. If you want me to "discover" a.k.a. test your hardware/software, pay me for my time and inconvenience. I'll wait for the iPhone 6s Plus or the Galaxy Note 5 next year for consideration.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It is the iPhone 6 and the Note 4 coming out this year, not iPhone (1) and Note (1). They are in no way first generation hardware and initial release operating system.

sphinx144

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I really don't want to change platforms. But if Microsoft doesn't come with a really premium devise to upgrade my aging Lumia 920 this year I'll be tempted to make the switch back to IOS.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
ok that being said ... If the same game runs smoother on the new iPhones with " 64 bit" than our 1gb windowsphones guess what customers are going to want ...smoother running apps regardless of gigabytes or bits the phone has. So if games and apps are running smoother on iPhones that's what's going to sell hence record breaking preorders!!

Apps and games were running smooth on iPhones years before "64-bit". Where have you been?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I really don't want to change platforms. But if Microsoft doesn't come with a really premium devise to upgrade my aging Lumia 920 this year I'll be tempted to make the switch back to IOS.
Can you please describe a truly premium device? As far as iI can tell, the icon and 1520 are both premium. Os runs great on both.

As well as everything running smooth like butter on even the most basic windows phones. I have a 520 and the OS and all apps run smooth. Much smoother than on my note 2

Last edited by a moderator:

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
If she had sold her iPhone 5 at Ebay, she could've gotten over $300/$400. Just saying. :)

I don't understand what you mean, when we say that the iPhone is faster we don't refer to speed of say a car, but general fluidity and app performance.

A faster shutter speed, I assure you, isn't stupid. Smartphones with cameras are designed to get a quick amazing photo, and the iPhone will probably go a better job at it compared to the 1520(except maybe in RAW detail).

And what do you mean by under spec value for money? The iPhone 5S despite having worse specifications than a Lumia 1520 still beat in benchmarks, I am sure the iPhone 6 will as well.

Yes, she could've gotten more for it but she just wanted to do it quickly. Set it on the counter, trade it, and leave with the new one.

Renard dAllan

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
But it's not about the specs, well, it kind of is, but not really.

Microsoft offers so much more in Windows Phone, from Cortana to the amazing UI to PC compatibility.

If you were to leave this treasured platform just for a camera that is a little sharper and a GPU that's a little faster, it's a waste of money and, frankly enough, stupid.

Windows Phone is, and hopefully always will be, a mixture of beauty and efficiency. If a benchmark test it's a little higher on a newer phone that is half of WP..... just don't. Don't.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 521 is enough, if I want a new phone I'm waiting for a true replacement for the Lumia 1020. All Windows Phone needs is better and more apps. Why pay so much money for a fruity phone?

That's how I feel. Seriously, 920 dollars for a phone(64GB iPhone 6+ w/ tax). I'm waiting for our next best thing :)

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Funny but true... Apple religion is a powerful cult. People will by Apple products even though it does not meet there needs. I see them as consumption devices not productivity There are hundreds of things PC's can do that Mac's cannot, but there is nothing a Mac can do that the PC can't as well. As far as phones are concerned WP OS is logical choice if your on the PC platform. There is a lot of Integration that you wont even find in the Apple universe. Sure there are not as many Apps on WP but really how many apps do people really use on a daily basis; maybe 10 the rest is just games and stuff to waste time with...

Here you go with the "meeting people's needs" again. How do you know it doesn't meet a Mac owners needs? Have you even used a mac or an iPhone?

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It is the iPhone 6 and the Note 4 coming out this year, not iPhone (1) and Note (1). They are in no way first generation hardware and initial release operating system.

Allow me to clarify your misconceptions:
1. Apple has never released an iPhone screen size larger than four inches. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are 4.7" and 5.5" screen size respectively. Verdict: new.

2. Apple has never released an iPhone with Optical Image Stabilization(OIS). The iPhone 6 Plus has OIS. Verdict: new.

3. Apple has never released an iPhone with storage capacity higher than 64GB. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have 128GB storage options. Verdict: new.

4. Apple has never released a Near Field Communications(NFC) chip. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus both have an NFC chip. Verdict: new.

5. Both iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have increased battery size from iPhone 5s, from 1560 mAh to 1810 mAh and 2915 mAh respectively. Verdict: new

6. Both iPhone 6 and 6 Plus both use the Apple A8 processor. The iPhone 5S uses the A7 processor. Verdict: new.

I've conclusively shown that the new chassis and internal hardware support my assertion that these are new models with new hardware and not simply cosmetic.

The iOS 8 operating system is version 0. For comparison, iOS 7 is version 7.1.2(11D257). When software is initially released to the public it is known as the "zero" version or more popularly for manufacturers, "Gold". Internal version numbers are different. IOS 8 was released yesterday. IOS 8 was not available to the general public prior to yesterday. So iOS 8 is classified as the initial release.

Please ensure you read the myriad reviews for any product so you are better informed on what is actually new and what is not. I have provided the software numbering convention so you more informed on the classification of software releases. Should you require further information concerning software release classification, please do not hesitate to ask.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know what the specs are, and the difference between the 5s & 6/6+. But by your definition every phone and its OS are 1st gen and initial release.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Here you go with the "meeting people's needs" again. How do you know it doesn't meet a Mac owners needs? Have you even used a mac or an iPhone?

Well, if it meets your needs fine. Yes, I have used Apple products... My son has a MacBook air and a 5s which he loves because they are easy to use. But anything beyond surfing mail and pictures he uses his PC. His Mac is not a good gaming PC at all. A Mac could not even come close to doing the work that I do. Face it. Macs and Iphones are for normal everyday folks that want it easy and don't demand much from their hardware. Simply consumption devices. Anything beyond bloging, surfing, and a little picture and photo editing it's can't compare. Apple is just not and Enterprise Company. I'll stick with my Icon, my PC, that communicate great together and do everything I need for my business. I phones to me are just status bling that really can't do anything better then what has already been done a long time with Android, and Windows. Plus Apple thinks they invented the large screen phone based on there last keynote. They also think they invented NFC. I bet the battery life on the 6 is just as bad as the 5 series. We shall see.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know what the specs are, and the difference between the 5s & 6/6+. But by your definition every phone and its OS are 1st gen and initial release.

I'm glad you agree with me. Because stating this completely different form factor is not new was certainly puzzling!

Unfortunately you did not understand the software release classification so I will clarify this for you once again. To be fair, it is not common knowledge unless one has worked on and released software as a profession.

Any new software released is released as version "zero". The reason for this is the manufacturer has decided that there are significant change to differentiate from previous release. Any change is denoted by the same build number followed by numbers which specify any incremental change that is not deemed to significantly impact the functionality of the software. Hence, my previous example of iOS 7 to iOS 8.

IOS 8 is considered "new" software by Apple. It will be noted on all their marketing and their support documentation.

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A Mac could not even come close to doing the work that I do.

What kind of work do you do?

Macs and Iphones are for normal everyday folks that want it easy and don't demand much from their hardware. Simply consumption devices. Anything beyond bloging, surfing, and a little picture and photo editing it's can't compare.

I do not think you could be more wrong.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
What kind of work do you do?

I do not think you could be more wrong.

Mechanical/Eng Autodesk products mostly. AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit.

Beyond what I stated above, I still don't see what kind of specialized work you could do on a Mac, and if so that could not be done on a PC better and faster. Apple is just not an Enterprise platform.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Beyond what I stated above, I still don't see what kind of specialized work you could do on a Mac, and if so that could not be done on a PC better and faster. Apple is just not an Enterprise platform.

Hence why I have this crazy theory that Microsoft and Apple would be a good fit with one another to combat Google.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

While Inventor and Revit are not available for Mac, AutoCAD is, and I know first hand that it runs perfectly well on a Mac (one of my ex-GF's father ran a prototyping and short-run business using AutoCAD on Mac exclusively.) Of course, those are very specific applications for specific needs, not ubiquitous applications like Office.

Honestly, it sounds like you just plain don't like Mac and are looking for justifications to put it down. Which is totally fine, but call a spade a spade. You're getting people in this thread telling you that - aside of very specific applications like Inventor and Revit - Mac *can* meet enterprise needs, but you're shoving your fingers in your ears and shouting "LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING LA LA LA!" That, in my opinion, is the epitome of fanboyism: not accepting that other platforms are just as capable and usable as is your pet platform, regardless of evidence or testimony of such.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
While Inventor and Revit are not available for Mac, AutoCAD is, and I know first hand that it runs perfectly well on a Mac (one of my ex-GF's father ran a prototyping and short-run business using AutoCAD on Mac exclusively.) Of course, those are very specific applications for specific needs, not ubiquitous applications like Office.

Honestly, it sounds like you just plain don't like Mac and are looking for justifications to put it down. Which is totally fine, but call a spade a spade. You're getting people in this thread telling you that - aside of very specific applications like Inventor and Revit - Mac *can* meet enterprise needs, but you're shoving your fingers in your ears and shouting "LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING LA LA LA!" That, in my opinion, is the epitome of fanboyism: not accepting that other platforms are just as capable and usable as is your pet platform, regardless of evidence or testimony of such.

Not true, AutoCAD for the Mac is a joke. I have imported files created on the mac and they are missing data and just ends up crashing the PC version. And the Interface is completely different then the standard AutoCAD. I don't think many architectural firms are going to allow there employees to bring a Mac, and pay a lot of money just for one seat of AutoCAD. Autodesk provides Suites that come with 5 or six diff programs for one license. You would be stuck with AutoCAD which is slowing fading away anyway.

I Don't HATE macs I just am tired of hearing everyone say that Apple products are superior to Windows. This was originally about the iPhone but got off topic. I am only pointing out the truth that Macs are for general consumption and not for serious business use. And if it were not for MS putting Office on the Mac, many companies would not allow there employees to bring there own devices. IT is not going to allow use of Open source or knock-off office apps. Can't trust the security. It's all about standards and if everyone is mixing hardware you really run into problems.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not true, AutoCAD for the Mac is a joke.

Dude, see? "LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING LA LA LA!" Whether you think it's true or not, whether you think it's a joke or not, it happened, and he was very successful.

I am only pointing out the truth that Macs are for general consumption and not for serious business use.

And I - as well as others - are telling you that you're wrong. So pull your fingers out of your ears and get over yourself. Your opinion about a platform does not make it fact.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I've always been a PC guy, but both of my roommates are ardent musicians. They use Pro Tools piped through a Mac for all of their recording/production needs, and everyone else in the music industry seems to do so as well. There are some things that Macs do really well, and you really can't deny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion