07-20-2015 01:28 PM
29 12
tools
    What influenced you to get an iPhone? (or want to get one) rules: This must be your first phone.

P.s. To admins. I know this isn't in iMore.
    10-17-2014 05:13 PM
    You probably won't find many people whose first mobile phone ever is/was an iPhone. Most people started out with some feature phone.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    10-17-2014 05:19 PM
    You probably won't find many people whose first mobile phone ever is/was an iPhone. Most people started out with some feature phone.
    In the US, a lot of people start with iPhones. I almost did, too, because of the fingerprint sensor. Then I saw a Windows phone.
    Witness likes this.
    10-17-2014 05:21 PM
    Depends on how old they are. I'm sure there are far too many teenagers whose first mobile phone was an iPhone.
    920Walker and xandros9 like this.
    10-17-2014 08:35 PM
    Depends on how old they are. I'm sure there are far too many teenagers whose first mobile phone was an iPhone.
    $700 wasted on instagram. Anyways,...
    10-17-2014 08:57 PM
    Not exactly what you're looking for but oh well. I'll just throw it out.

First modern device was an iPod touch 4th generation in middle school. (I had plenty fun with several year old Palm PDAs. Still keep some around)
    Why? Everyone had iPod touches and occasionally an iPhone.
    It was a matter of compatibility. Multiplayer games, being compatible with other people, it was THE platform. And I was missing quite a bit with Palm OS.
    Sanjay Chandra likes this.
    10-18-2014 02:54 PM
    Not exactly what you're looking for but oh well. I'll just throw it out.

First modern device was an iPod touch 4th generation in middle school. (I had plenty fun with several year old Palm PDAs. Still keep some around)
    Why? Everyone had iPod touches and occasionally an iPhone.
    It was a matter of compatibility. Multiplayer games, being compatible with other people, it was THE platform. And I was missing quite a bit with Palm OS.
    Compatibility, you mean.
    10-21-2014 04:07 PM
    Compatibility, you mean.
    Now, I don't care nearly as much, but it was worth something to me then.
    10-21-2014 06:19 PM
    You'd be surprised, not everyone is 100 years old. As a Blackberry user I can't answer the question, and makes your comment relevant. lol

That out of the way, I'd also say app compatibility.
    12-14-2014 09:45 PM
    My first smartphone was the 4S. I had just watched the keynote, thought Siri was awesome.
    12-14-2014 09:50 PM
    Feeling old! My first phone was some brick about an inch thick lol, several phones before a Nokia 3310.
    920Walker and stevemind like this.
    12-14-2014 10:32 PM
    You'd be surprised, not everyone is 100 years old. As a Blackberry user I can't answer the question, and makes your comment relevant. lol

That out of the way, I'd also say app compatibility.

Even with young kids, I'd think their parents would get them something cheaper than an iPhone for their first mobile.
    etad putta likes this.
    12-15-2014 03:42 AM
    I know a few young kids ( ie 12ish) with Iphones now, they tend to be their parent's old phones. My daughter had her dad's Iphone3 for a while, but it was on it's last legs. She has a Lumia now.
    12-15-2014 06:16 AM
    The iPhone 5 is my first smart phone.

The reason why I went for an iPhone is because of resale value. I wanted the Lumia 920 but was nowhere to be found so I opted for an iPhone and sold it when I got the 920. I had a bit more cash to spare for a case.

That's it. I did enjoy the experience though. iOS is a really good mobile OS.
    12-15-2014 06:36 AM
    The Palm Treo!!
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-15-2014 06:51 AM
    Even with young kids, I'd think their parents would get them something cheaper than an iPhone for their first mobile.
    Picked up a couple of lg fuel 2's from Walmart for $29 each. Grand daughter wants my 635 instead. Smart kid. No spendy apple products that could get lost or broken.
    12-15-2014 07:05 AM
    I have been on iPhones for years, originally it was because it was the only one that offered apps, quality touch screen etc then android came along and ripped it off....

So for years it's been iPhone, now considering windows phone when it hits 10. My reasons for iPhone now is primaraly security, I want to access the bank without my details hitting criminal websites (as happened to two of my kids when they used windows laptops for online banking). The appeal of windows is I like the os, there is also a much cheaper entry point, I mainly use email and calls so it's more than adequate.

I will need to be convinced it is secure enough and not yet researched that side of windows 10.
    02-20-2015 06:13 AM
    I have a Iphone 5c on at&t, my first iPhone was the 3GS and my second IPhone was the iPhone 4. Feels awkward having a iPhone again while I am so use to my Nokia Lumia 1520 and still have the phone by the way.
    03-05-2015 03:23 PM
    I have been on iPhones for years, originally it was because it was the only one that offered apps, quality touch screen etc then android came along and ripped it off....

So for years it's been iPhone, now considering windows phone when it hits 10. My reasons for iPhone now is primaraly security, I want to access the bank without my details hitting criminal websites (as happened to two of my kids when they used windows laptops for online banking). The appeal of windows is I like the os, there is also a much cheaper entry point, I mainly use email and calls so it's more than adequate.

I will need to be convinced it is secure enough and not yet researched that side of windows 10.
    You got that all sorts of backwards buddy. APPLE RIPPED OFF ANDROID>
    04-03-2015 11:30 AM
    You got that all sorts of backwards buddy. APPLE RIPPED OFF ANDROID>
    Are you winding me up?....

Apple released ios before android came out, android touch (which before the iPhone had been dismissed by the way) came out after the iPhone ripping off the iPhone. Best you do a wee bit of reading about what came first.

Android is a criminal virus there is no other way to describe it. Its also badly designed, security weak and unbelievably ugly in design. The whole reason people use it goes completely over my head.
    Jonnie LasVegas likes this.
    04-03-2015 12:19 PM
    You'd be surprised. Even in primary school (up to age 11) I see children with iPhones. Usually 4 or 4S handed down from their parents. It's just just one or two children; it's a surprising sizeable minority.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    04-03-2015 02:13 PM
    ... a criminal virus there is no other way to describe it. Its also badly designed, security weak and unbelievably ugly in design. The whole reason people use it goes completely over my head.
    You've just described Windows on the desktop.
    04-03-2015 02:15 PM
    You've just described Windows on the desktop.
    Elaborate?

If my history is correct when it comes do the development of desktop, Ibm came up with the idea, Apple took it from them, then windows took it from Apple but in a different direction. I don't recall windows data mining the os to make the user their product. As far as I recall the developed software and sold it, that does not seem viral.
    04-04-2015 05:25 AM
    a criminal virus there is no other way to describe it.
    Bloated, unintuitive, cumbersome, weighed down by backwards compatibility with older hardware.

Its also badly designed
    Malware is too easy to install; system is easily corrupted; the registry is a nightmare; uninstalling apps leaves debris all over the place; inability to fully manage disks (partitions, formatting) from within the Management console - you need to resort to the command prompt and use DISKPART.

security weak
    Viruses abound. Malware left, right, and centre. Passwords are easy to extract form the system (presumably the registry.)

and unbelievably ugly in design.
    Inconsistent icons; inconsistent program layout; For window 8.x, having a touch interface on non-touch devices is burdensome;

The whole reason people use it goes completely over my head.
    See previous points.

Windows Phone is completely different, though.
    04-04-2015 06:02 AM
    Are you winding me up?....

Apple released ios before android came out, android touch (which before the iPhone had been dismissed by the way) came out after the iPhone ripping off the iPhone. Best you do a wee bit of reading about what came first.

Android is a criminal virus there is no other way to describe it. Its also badly designed, security weak and unbelievably ugly in design. The whole reason people use it goes completely over my head.
    I did not say which was first, I said apple ripped android off. I mean, all the features that are in android that make it better, which is pretty well everything, APPLE has ripped off. And in the latest IOS they even rip off windows, windows phone etc, even names that windows has used before like glance. apple has glances....REALLY. APPLE is just as bad crooks if not more than google. If you think your info is any safer on IOS.OSX than on windows....you have your head up you know where.
    05-02-2015 10:41 AM
29 12