Dye Gate..watch out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That is crazy. I want to say people are overreacting, but I do understand this a little bit. An iPhone can be really expensive, even with carrier subsidy, and they are supposed to be the premium brand. There are certainly plastics that don't absorb dye from your clothes, see the ABS shells that Nokia uses. I think I would be upset if my phone was starting to discolor after only a few weeks' use.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I commented the same thing twice accidently. My 1520 slipped out my hand and I hit the 'post' button before I was finished. My Lumia suffers from the 'slip-gate' problem

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
That is crazy. I want to say people are overreacting, but I do understand this a little bit. An iPhone can be really expensive, even with carrier subsidy, and they are supposed to be the premium brand. There are certainly plastics that don't absorb dye from your clothes, see the ABS shells that Nokia uses. I think I would be upset if my phone was starting to discolor after only a few weeks' use.
I have to agree. While my phones are always in a case, they shouldn't be damaged by normal careful usage.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I am sorry but this is just silly. I have never bought an Apple product and probably never will, but the idea of blaming them because people buy clothes that were dyed with dyes that are not colorfast is just surreal. A colorfast dye will not bleed whereas one that is not colorfast will bleed into fabrics and stain most light colored plastics. ;I expect if the people were asked to show their pockets one would see the white internal fabrics are blue (or whatever color) and that the other stuff in the pockets (other than metal) were also stained. This is not about iPhones, it is about fabric dyes. A dye that is designed to absorb into porous materials (a trait of most common plastics) was not stabilized and did, in fact, stain other stuff. That is the beginning and end of the story. It is also only in the news because they have sold huge numbers of the devices - bigger samples equals larger potential to identify stuff. BTW, if someone's child was to use a pen with permanent ink and filled in the bits of white, would there be a pen gate too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea