01-04-2015 02:50 AM
82 1234
tools
    Don't you know that if you love MS services then use Android or iOS not WP.
    What you can except from other Devs when MS treat their own OS inferior to other and their apps quality is the proof of that.

and since WP isn't as fast & fluid as it was before. So, obviously iPhone 6 is better than WP flagship device.
    01-03-2015 03:47 AM
    As much as i love to hate apple and despise the company in every single way, i held the iphone 6, i had to admit, it felt really good in the hand, its definitely not cheap (probably because it actually isnt) but it feels really good when you hold it, its thin, its light and feels premium, much better than many android flagships i've held. Of course i still wouldn't trade a lumia flagship over one even if my life depended on it.
    hidayat225 likes this.
    01-03-2015 06:36 AM
    You keep waiting then. Until 2016 my 930 will keep serving me as a paperweight I guess.
    And a mighty fine looking paper weight it is too.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-03-2015 07:02 AM
    You keep waiting then. Until 2016 my 930 will keep serving me as a paperweight I guess.
    And a mighty fine looking paper weight it is too.
    It is indeed! But spazzmeister, I guess I'm not sure what you meant by that.
    01-03-2015 08:22 AM
    I love Windows Phone, but I do not like the strategy of bringing Microsoft apps to IOS and Android. I believe that WP should have exclusivity. It will distort the app gap in Windows Phone favour.

Office and MSN apps should be solely on Microsoft devices.

Btw I've used the iPhone 6 and 6+. Long story short: I'm sticking with my Lumias.
    01-03-2015 08:31 AM
    How can anyone be jealous of an iPhone. The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles, no info at a glance. You have to launch the app to get information.

Live tiles are so much better. I just can't get past the UI on other platforms. No jealousy here, that's for sure.
    01-03-2015 08:39 AM
    How can anyone be jealous of an iPhone. The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles, no info at a glance. You have to launch the app to get information.

Live tiles are so much better. I just can't get past the UI on other platforms. No jealousy here, that's for sure.
    And I think here OP is referring to app quality and fluidity of OS.

UI is not everything.
    techiez, Tareq27 and dgr_874 like this.
    01-03-2015 08:45 AM
    I think it'll do neither. In a year from now we'll probably be saying what we're saying now; "This year, when Windows 10 hits..." except we'll be adding "GDR1." WP has plodded along for over 4 years now, and it's at 3% market share where it's been for about half that time.

If W10 is the hit it is purported to be, it probably won't happen right out of the gate. It'll take time to work its way into the market, and will probably require an update or two to squash bugs. I bet we'll be looking at sometime in 2016 until we see any significant change to WP's place in the market, IF it happens at all!
    These are not the optimisms you were looking for..

Every 6-12 months a new device comes out from different OEMs. Sure you can look at the reflection in the water and think the bone is bigger, but its all part of a cycle. So in being real, iPhone 6p is nice, but I'll hold on to my 1520 which I like better. I can name services that I know Windows has that iPhone doesn't and WP had Office way before iPhone. My 1530 W10 will blow the 6 away. That is untill the 7 comes along and the cycle will start over again.

My lane is sound.
    fatclue_98, xandros9 and snowmutt like this.
    01-03-2015 08:52 AM
    i had to admit, it felt really good in the hand
    The iPhone 6 does feel good in the hand, but it feels so slippery thanks to its curves sides and polished body. But guess what, the L735 feel just as good in the hand. The two have almost identical dimensions. Both feel highly responsive. But one looks so much better with a coloured (green) shell.

The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles
    I think you've nailed it! iOS (and Android) are very much like Win 3.1. However, the iOS clock icon is like a live tile / widget in that the time displayed on the icon is the current time. I've always felt that widgets in Android were clumsy, and I hated the way that a single app would install three or four widgets depending on the information you want them to display and how large you wanted them.

One thing I miss from Android is the ASOP calendar widget. It's frustrating that the WP live tile shows such a limited range of calendar entries.
    01-03-2015 08:53 AM
    These are not the optimisms you were looking for..

Every 6-12 months a new device comes out from different OEMs. Sure you can look at the reflection in the water and think the bone is bigger, but its all part of a cycle. So in being real, iPhone 6p is nice, but I'll hold on to my 1520 which I like better. I can name services that I know Windows has that iPhone doesn't and WP had Office way before iPhone. My 1530 W10 will blow the 6 away. That is untill the 7 comes along and the cycle will start over again.

My lane is sound.
    Nice, but what you wrote has little to do with my post. I'm not sure why you quoted it!

But to respond to yours, I understand your opinion, and I somewhat agree with you. But the market doesn't. Given your logic, WP should be doing much better than 3% market share. I'm no Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly respect Apple and what they have accomplished in the mobile field. I believe that Apple deserves every fan they have, and I will not criticize a single one. Were it not for the cost I might be one of them. A few years ago it was pretty much a fact that the iPhone was easily the best, although we have seen some parity since then. It's pretty easy for anyone looking in from the outside to discredit the praise given to WP with one question, "Why isn't WP selling?"

And just so you know, the 1530 W10 will probably not be competing with the iPhone 6/6+. It will compete with the iPhone 7/7+, since they'll probably be released at about the same time. You already implied that the iPhone 7 would be a step above. So once again WP still looks at the taillights...

And please humor me: what services does Windows (Phone) have the the iPhone doesn't? I don't mean brand specific, but services where the iPhone has no equivalent.
    Last edited by tgp; 01-03-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    01-03-2015 09:16 AM
    Oh cry me a river. We have a Word app. And it was just this past year that iPhone got "better" Office apps. In fact, just a year ago the iPhone didn't have any Office app.

When Windows 10 launches, I can practically guarantee you that Windows "Phone" will blow the iPhone away. Especially in terms of Microsoft apps.

Welcome to technology.

i'm putting "iphone-funeral-parade" in this post so searching for this thread, after windows phone 10 is released sometime this year, it will be easy to find the thread. it will be interesting to see the expectations/predictions vs realizations.

ok, until then..... :)
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-03-2015 09:18 AM
    Would never trade my 1520 for a iPhone.. Wp10 and denim will rock your socks off!!
    01-03-2015 09:23 AM
    I love Windows Phone, but I do not like the strategy of bringing Microsoft apps to IOS and Android. I believe that WP should have exclusivity. It will distort the app gap in Windows Phone favour.

Office and MSN apps should be solely on Microsoft devices.

Btw I've used the iPhone 6 and 6+. Long story short: I'm sticking with my Lumias.
    That kind of strategy would tank Microsoft services. As long as their services are limited to MS products, and alternatives are available across platform, then MS will lose share in the market.

This exclusivity argument is flawed and tiresome.
    fatclue_98, xandros9 and snowmutt like this.
    01-03-2015 09:30 AM
    This threads are useless. No one really cares is you are jealous or not. Just deal with it like a man abd stop wasting server's resources for this things.
    spaulagain likes this.
    01-03-2015 09:35 AM
    What you mentioned about changing UI was precisely what I was talking about. As for the rest I know exactly what Microsoft was doing on their end every Microsoft fan/enthusiast knew. What I was taking about however was the consumer smartphone perspective. John Q Customer doesn't give a rats *** what kernel which OS is using all he cares about is whether or not he can send a naughty snap to that cute girl he met last weekend. Perhaps upload that cute video of his cat on Instagram. Play hay day or clash of clans with his siblings. Oh wait you know what? Windows Phone can't do ANY of those! So what happens? 3% is what happens.
    So what's your point other than to babble 3% again?

We all know WP fell short of consumer needs for years. Much of that was due to market saturation before WP was launched (app gap). But that doesn't mean its doomed or worthless as a product.

Just look at Apple, OSX for years was limited on available applications. Which is why many people stuck with Windows. And OSXs market share reflected that staying at around 5% or less.

But now due to the success of Apple's other products, OSX has gained momentum and matured in a way that has brought many of those applications to OSX now. Even with the low market share it has.

Your point seems to be that regardless of how good a product is, all that matters is the petty market share.

I'm saying, that's a really narrow way to look at it. And if that was the case, there would be a lot of companies that should just shut their doors and give up. In reality, market share is only a temporary thing, it can change dramatically based on many factors often outside the companies control. But if they have a good product, and a long term strategy, than it's good to stick with it.
    01-03-2015 09:36 AM
    But to respond to yours, I understand your opinion, and I somewhat agree with you. But the market doesn't. Given your logic, WP should be doing much better than 3% market share. I'm no Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly respect Apple and what they have accomplished in the mobile field. I believe that Apple deserves every fan they have, and I will not criticize a single one. Were it not for the cost I might be one of them. A few years ago it was pretty much a fact that the iPhone was easily the best, although we have seen some parity since then. It's pretty easy for anyone looking in from the outside to discredit the praise given to WP with one question, "Why isn't WP selling?"
    Consumers are not rational. They buy an iPhone because it is shiny. It is a status symbol. Is a Rolex better than a Seiko watch? They both tell the time, except the Rolex has shiny diamonds on it. The Rolex is not even hand made. It is mass produced.

Apple has succeeded in indoctrinating the masses. They have made it a desirable good, not for the specs and the productivity gained from it, but because they have successfully marketed the iPhone.

WP is not selling because of Microsoft's marketing. The 1520 is a better device that the iPhone 6. It has a better camera for starters...

Windows 10 will help market WP. Consumers should see that the potential of 1 unified OS. Many are already entrenched in the Windows ecosystem in the pc. Windows 10 brings their experience on the pc to the smartphone.
    01-03-2015 09:40 AM
    Nice, but what you wrote has little to do with my post. I'm not sure why you quoted it!

And just so you know, the 1530 W10 will probably not be competing with the iPhone 6/6+. It will compete with the iPhone 7/7+, since they'll probably be released at about the same time. You already implied that the i Phone 7 would be a step above. So once again WP still looks at the taillights...

And please humor me: what services does Windows (Phone) have the the iPhone doesn't? I don't mean brand specific, but services where the iPhone has no equivalent.
    I quoted yours as an example of low optimism. There was a context break and the second part was to the OP.

I didn't infer an iP 7 would be better than 1530. Some may claim it will be. (I see you). Others may say it will be on parity. I really dont have that foresight, my point is that the cycle will continue.

To answer your question. Universal Apps, Xbox live games..
    tgp likes this.
    01-03-2015 09:43 AM
    That kind of strategy would tank Microsoft services. As long as their services are limited to MS products, and alternatives are available across platform, then MS will lose share in the market.

Did MS ever release Office for Linux in the PC market? I don't see why they need to do so for the smartphone market.

Office's ability to sway users should not be underestimated. A fully functional word editor on WP along with the ability to sync with your PC has a lot of advantages. MS dominates the pc. They should use universal apps to their advantage.

Giving away Office to competitors will not help WP at all, unless it is a limited form.
    01-03-2015 09:49 AM

While I agree Microsoft should make available one drive and Skype and such services across all platforms, I believe it's a mistake to make Microsoft office available across all platforms.

One of the reasons Windows dominated the PC market was the popularity of Microsoft office and it was available only on Windows. Steve Jobs when settling a court case with Microsoft, one of the conditions was Microsoft office should be made available on macintosh. He knew without it Apple computers won't have any chance of competing with Windows computers.

The place where I work was looking at trying to use Linux to replace Windows, but the biggest problem was that Microsoft office was not available and Open office was not as good, so eventually after a lot of testing the company stayed with Windows and Microsoft office. With Microsoft Office now available across all platforms there will be almost no incentive for anyone to stay with Windows.
    mathsisbest likes this.
    01-03-2015 10:04 AM
    WP is not selling because of Microsoft's marketing. The 1520 is a better device that the iPhone 6. It has a better camera for starters...
    I already gave my opinion on the marketing bit, which obviously is completely opposite of yours. I'll leave it there.

It's true that the 1520's camera (and most high end Lumias) is better than the iPhone 6's. But is it better in any meaningful way? Is it important to 97% of smartphone users? Nope. The iPhone's camera is plenty good.

Did MS ever release Office for Linux in the PC market? I don't see why they need to do so for the smartphone market.
    Linux has 1% market share in computers. iOS and Android have 97% market share in mobile. Do you see the difference?
    01-03-2015 10:07 AM

Office's ability to sway users should not be underestimated. A fully functional word editor on WP along with the ability to sync with your PC has a lot of advantages. MS dominates the pc. They should use universal apps to their advantage.

Giving away Office to competitors will not help WP at all, unless it is a limited form.
    You're kidding right? They have 0 reason to release Office for Linux. Linux has essentially 0 market share except for web servers where you don't need Office.

Whereas Android and iOS combined have 95% of the mobile market where having Office tools is needed. And if Office isn't available, those people will find an alternative. An alternative that could potentially replace Office on the desktop for them as well. This is why MS has to make Office available and effective for these platforms.

Giving away Office to other platforms won't help WP. But Office exclusivity on WP didn't seem to have an impact on WP market share did it? Remember, Office has been exclusive on WP since 2010 until just this past year. How did that work out for WP? It didn't.

Instead, MS started losing ground in their Office tools to products like Google Docs. And with Office being one of their primary revenue generators, its absolutely vital they keep it relevant and used by everyone. Even if that means giving I a way on competitors MOBILE devices.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people to understand. It's common sense in the business world.
    Last edited by spaulagain; 01-03-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    tgp, spazzmeister and snowmutt like this.
    01-03-2015 10:46 AM
    Remember, Office has been exclusive on WP since 2010 until just this past year. How did that work out for WP? It didn't.
    Actually, Office has been on MS mobile platforms since PocketPC 2002. The only alternative was Docs To Go on PalmOS and later BlackBerry. This was during a time when PDAs were all the rage for dudes in suits and the exclusivity didn't faze the others. I can't wrap my head around this idea of not letting MS offer their services to competing platforms. MS is a software company first and foremost.
    dkediger likes this.
    01-03-2015 11:12 AM
    What you mentioned about changing UI was precisely what I was talking about. As for the rest I know exactly what Microsoft was doing on their end every Microsoft fan/enthusiast knew. What I was taking about however was the consumer smartphone perspective. John Q Customer doesn't give a rats *** what kernel which OS is using all he cares about is whether or not he can send a naughty snap to that cute girl he met last weekend. Perhaps upload that cute video of his cat on Instagram. Play hay day or clash of clans with his siblings. Oh wait you know what? Windows Phone can't do ANY of those! So what happens? 3% is what happens.
    Not everyone is a 20 year old horndog, some of us just want a reliable inexpensive smart phone with an easy to use UI.
    01-03-2015 11:19 AM
    Not everyone is a 20 year old horndog, some of us just want a reliable inexpensive smart phone with an easy to use UI.
    Is it any wonder that BlackBerry owns 60% of the enterprise sector? There are some grownups in the world and they use smartphones too.
    01-03-2015 11:41 AM
    Actually, Office has been on MS mobile platforms since PocketPC 2002. The only alternative was Docs To Go on PalmOS and later BlackBerry. This was during a time when PDAs were all the rage for dudes in suits and the exclusivity didn't faze the others. I can't wrap my head around this idea of not letting MS offer their services to competing platforms. MS is a software company first and foremost.
    Agreed, I'm continuously amazed by the number of people that can't seem to get that through their head.
    01-03-2015 12:32 PM
82 1234