Should I move on to an Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: tried an iphone 6 and iphone 6+ today .... got so jealous !

But to respond to yours, I understand your opinion, and I somewhat agree with you. But the market doesn't. Given your logic, WP should be doing much better than 3% market share. I'm no Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly respect Apple and what they have accomplished in the mobile field. I believe that Apple deserves every fan they have, and I will not criticize a single one. Were it not for the cost I might be one of them. A few years ago it was pretty much a fact that the iPhone was easily the best, although we have seen some parity since then. It's pretty easy for anyone looking in from the outside to discredit the praise given to WP with one question, "Why isn't WP selling?"

Consumers are not rational. They buy an iPhone because it is shiny. It is a status symbol. Is a Rolex better than a Seiko watch? They both tell the time, except the Rolex has shiny diamonds on it. The Rolex is not even hand made. It is mass produced.

Apple has succeeded in indoctrinating the masses. They have made it a desirable good, not for the specs and the productivity gained from it, but because they have successfully marketed the iPhone.

WP is not selling because of Microsoft's marketing. The 1520 is a better device that the iPhone 6. It has a better camera for starters...

Windows 10 will help market WP. Consumers should see that the potential of 1 unified OS. Many are already entrenched in the Windows ecosystem in the pc. Windows 10 brings their experience on the pc to the smartphone.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Nice, but what you wrote has little to do with my post. I'm not sure why you quoted it!

And just so you know, the 1530 W10 will probably not be competing with the iPhone 6/6+. It will compete with the iPhone 7/7+, since they'll probably be released at about the same time. You already implied that the i Phone 7 would be a step above. So once again WP still looks at the taillights...

And please humor me: what services does Windows (Phone) have the the iPhone doesn't? I don't mean brand specific, but services where the iPhone has no equivalent.

I quoted yours as an example of low optimism. There was a context break and the second part was to the OP.

I didn't infer an iP 7 would be better than 1530. Some may claim it will be. (I see you). Others may say it will be on parity. I really dont have that foresight, my point is that the cycle will continue.

To answer your question. Universal Apps, Xbox live games..

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
That kind of strategy would tank Microsoft services. As long as their services are limited to MS products, and alternatives are available across platform, then MS will lose share in the market.

This exclusivity argument is flawed and tiresome.

Did MS ever release Office for Linux in the PC market? I don't see why they need to do so for the smartphone market.

Office's ability to sway users should not be underestimated. A fully functional word editor on WP along with the ability to sync with your PC has a lot of advantages. MS dominates the pc. They should use universal apps to their advantage.

Giving away Office to competitors will not help WP at all, unless it is a limited form.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

That kind of strategy would tank Microsoft services. As long as their services are limited to MS products, and alternatives are available across platform, then MS will lose share in the market.

This exclusivity argument is flawed and tiresome.
While I agree Microsoft should make available one drive and Skype and such services across all platforms, I believe it's a mistake to make Microsoft office available across all platforms.

One of the reasons Windows dominated the PC market was the popularity of Microsoft office and it was available only on Windows. Steve Jobs when settling a court case with Microsoft, one of the conditions was Microsoft office should be made available on macintosh. He knew without it Apple computers won't have any chance of competing with Windows computers.

The place where I work was looking at trying to use Linux to replace Windows, but the biggest problem was that Microsoft office was not available and Open office was not as good, so eventually after a lot of testing the company stayed with Windows and Microsoft office. With Microsoft Office now available across all platforms there will be almost no incentive for anyone to stay with Windows.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

WP is not selling because of Microsoft's marketing. The 1520 is a better device that the iPhone 6. It has a better camera for starters...

I already gave my opinion on the marketing bit, which obviously is completely opposite of yours. I'll leave it there.

It's true that the 1520's camera (and most high end Lumias) is better than the iPhone 6's. But is it better in any meaningful way? Is it important to 97% of smartphone users? Nope. The iPhone's camera is plenty good.

Did MS ever release Office for Linux in the PC market? I don't see why they need to do so for the smartphone market.

Linux has 1% market share in computers. iOS and Android have 97% market share in mobile. Do you see the difference?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Office's ability to sway users should not be underestimated. A fully functional word editor on WP along with the ability to sync with your PC has a lot of advantages. MS dominates the pc. They should use universal apps to their advantage.

Giving away Office to competitors will not help WP at all, unless it is a limited form.

You're kidding right? They have 0 reason to release Office for Linux. Linux has essentially 0 market share except for web servers where you don't need Office.

Whereas Android and iOS combined have 95% of the mobile market where having Office tools is needed. And if Office isn't available, those people will find an alternative. An alternative that could potentially replace Office on the desktop for them as well. This is why MS has to make Office available and effective for these platforms.

Giving away Office to other platforms won't help WP. But Office exclusivity on WP didn't seem to have an impact on WP market share did it? Remember, Office has been exclusive on WP since 2010 until just this past year. How did that work out for WP? It didn't.

Instead, MS started losing ground in their Office tools to products like Google Docs. And with Office being one of their primary revenue generators, its absolutely vital they keep it relevant and used by everyone. Even if that means giving I a way on competitors MOBILE devices.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people to understand. It's common sense in the business world.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Remember, Office has been exclusive on WP since 2010 until just this past year. How did that work out for WP? It didn't.

Actually, Office has been on MS mobile platforms since PocketPC 2002. The only alternative was Docs To Go on PalmOS and later BlackBerry. This was during a time when PDAs were all the rage for dudes in suits and the exclusivity didn't faze the others. I can't wrap my head around this idea of not letting MS offer their services to competing platforms. MS is a software company first and foremost.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

What you mentioned about changing UI was precisely what I was talking about. As for the rest I know exactly what Microsoft was doing on their end every Microsoft fan/enthusiast knew. What I was taking about however was the consumer smartphone perspective. John Q Customer doesn't give a rats *** what kernel which OS is using all he cares about is whether or not he can send a naughty snap to that cute girl he met last weekend. Perhaps upload that cute video of his cat on Instagram. Play hay day or clash of clans with his siblings. Oh wait you know what? Windows Phone can't do ANY of those! So what happens? 3% is what happens.

Not everyone is a 20 year old horndog, some of us just want a reliable inexpensive smart phone with an easy to use UI.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Not everyone is a 20 year old horndog, some of us just want a reliable inexpensive smart phone with an easy to use UI.

Is it any wonder that BlackBerry owns 60% of the enterprise sector? There are some grownups in the world and they use smartphones too.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Actually, Office has been on MS mobile platforms since PocketPC 2002. The only alternative was Docs To Go on PalmOS and later BlackBerry. This was during a time when PDAs were all the rage for dudes in suits and the exclusivity didn't faze the others. I can't wrap my head around this idea of not letting MS offer their services to competing platforms. MS is a software company first and foremost.

Agreed, I'm continuously amazed by the number of people that can't seem to get that through their head.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Keep hearing Windows 10 will blow everything away. Hope it's true. Hope the 1530 is out by then too.

The 6+ is rather nice though.
Its always the next update that will blow everything away. When it finally comes, it doesn't. Well the next one will, etc.etc. The competition is working on their own updates anyway. Ive never been an apple fan, but that 6+ is smooth:smile: Its growing on me:cool:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

iPads are being slowly phased out in favor of Surface Pro tablets.

Sure, you got any numbers for this? iPad's dominate in the corporate sector, and the last numbers I've seen posted show them at a 90% majority.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I did the exact opposite. I made the switch from WP to iPhone 6 and within a few weeks, I bought a 1520 and switched back. Neither the 6+ or the 1520 really take advantage of the extra space well by giving a true phablet experience, so that is a wash. After that, it really comes down to the OS and apps. I switched for apps, and I switched back for the OS. WP just provides a better operating experience than iOS does in my view, and it is enough of a difference to make up for the app differential. I look forward to Windows 10, but frankly, after WP 8.1, there really isn't much the OS lacks that I need, other than things to increase the phablet function (digitizer, etc.). I cannot imagine that MS doesn't recognize that the have to compete with the Note and 6+ in this area, so I would be very surprised to not see that improvement in the next OS iteration.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I've been a loyal Windows Phone user since WP8 came out with the 920. I've since had 2 1020s and now my 1520, which I wouldn't give up for anything currently on the market. (not until the next Windows 10 flagship phone) With that said though, I am considering an iPhone 6+ as a SECOND phone.. as it is a fantastic device as well! Both have their shortcomings and advantages. I have an iPad Air 2 that I got for Christmas that I absolutely love.. nothing wrong with managing two or more ecosystems... buy what you like and what works for you!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Sure, you got any numbers for this? iPad's dominate in the corporate sector, and the last numbers I've seen posted show them at a 90% majority.

Gartner says otherwise.

Surface Pro 3 vs iPad Air 2: which is better for business? | News | TechRadar

More reading.

Why Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Sales Soared as Apple's iPad Sales Plunged (AAPL, MSFT)

Even more.

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news...icrosoft-surface-2-tablets-at-delta-air-lines

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

iPads dominance was purely due to lack of anything else. Now that true competition is engaged in the market like the Surface line, they are being phased out as they are just oversized iPhones.

When a decent iPad costs the same as a "low end" Surface Pro (albeit much higher specs), the Surface Pro is a clear winner for businesses.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

When Joe said 'were just aligning everything', which makes sense (and is pretty much expected around these parts if you weren't just 'omg ios has better word!") what im wondering, how come those aren't aligned as well?

so all of windows has to wait for win10 but android and ios don't? Would it have hurt them to release everything at once?
"Hey heres our new awesome Touch Office for Win10. Guess what, its also available for ios and android!" Instead of just quietly releasing revamped touch office for ios/android and then say 'oh windows guys just wait...touch office is comin with win10 some several months after please be patient'

Erik Read

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

I too jumped ship back to iOS land. I went from an iPhone 4s to a 720 then a 920 and finally a 1020 before going back to the 6+. I had very high hopes with Windows Phone that just seemed to fizzle. XBOX music...horrible. Office on the WP platform is not at feature parity with iOS versions (password protected One Note pages for example).
What I don't get is this assumption that converging the OS's for the different platforms is going to mean developers are going to jump at writing Windows Store Apps. By and large most windows apps are still good old .exe apps that you can buy/download from anywhere. I don't see Windows Phone supporting those so I don't see developers oohing and aahhing over the ability the write once for Windows/Phone/XBOX.
What has to happen is a killer phone or a must-have feature but I don't see either happening in the time frame to help WP. I think we will see a resurgence of BlackBerry. BlackBerry seems to be listening to their customers and they have access to Android apps to boot.
I'm sorry but I think supporting MS in this means that you will forever be beta testers for a company that is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks...and so far not much.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone is an awesome, awesome phone. My only complaint with it is iOS itself, and the "you take what we give you" approach that Apple has with it. That's why I prefer Android, as one can tailor their experience to fit their needs. My brief time with WP8.1 left me somewhat impressed in that it was a lot more customizable than I had thought it was going to be, but nothing like Android, and it is still very locked down, pretty much as bad as iOS is. So, my Moto X is my main device, and my iPhone 6 gets used primarily for gaming and music. I had the Lumia 830 but returned it because it was just waaay too underpowered. When a proper WP flagship comes to AT&T I'll likely give it another go.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

None of the links you provided showed any numbers for corporate or enterprise usage. In 2014, iPad was at 90% usage for that market.

http://media.www1.good.com/documents/rpt-mobility-index-2014.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb