01-04-2015 01:50 AM
82 1234
tools
    Keep hearing Windows 10 will blow everything away. Hope it's true. Hope the 1530 is out by then too.

The 6+ is rather nice though.
    Its always the next update that will blow everything away. When it finally comes, it doesn't. Well the next one will, etc.etc. The competition is working on their own updates anyway. Ive never been an apple fan, but that 6+ is smooth Its growing on me
    spazzmeister, tgp and xandros9 like this.
    01-03-2015 11:54 AM
    iPads are being slowly phased out in favor of Surface Pro tablets.
    Sure, you got any numbers for this? iPad's dominate in the corporate sector, and the last numbers I've seen posted show them at a 90% majority.
    01-03-2015 12:20 PM
    I did the exact opposite. I made the switch from WP to iPhone 6 and within a few weeks, I bought a 1520 and switched back. Neither the 6+ or the 1520 really take advantage of the extra space well by giving a true phablet experience, so that is a wash. After that, it really comes down to the OS and apps. I switched for apps, and I switched back for the OS. WP just provides a better operating experience than iOS does in my view, and it is enough of a difference to make up for the app differential. I look forward to Windows 10, but frankly, after WP 8.1, there really isn't much the OS lacks that I need, other than things to increase the phablet function (digitizer, etc.). I cannot imagine that MS doesn't recognize that the have to compete with the Note and 6+ in this area, so I would be very surprised to not see that improvement in the next OS iteration.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-03-2015 12:32 PM
    I've been a loyal Windows Phone user since WP8 came out with the 920. I've since had 2 1020s and now my 1520, which I wouldn't give up for anything currently on the market. (not until the next Windows 10 flagship phone) With that said though, I am considering an iPhone 6+ as a SECOND phone.. as it is a fantastic device as well! Both have their shortcomings and advantages. I have an iPad Air 2 that I got for Christmas that I absolutely love.. nothing wrong with managing two or more ecosystems... buy what you like and what works for you!
    01-03-2015 12:33 PM
    Sure, you got any numbers for this? iPad's dominate in the corporate sector, and the last numbers I've seen posted show them at a 90% majority.
    Gartner says otherwise.

Surface Pro 3 vs iPad Air 2: which is better for business? | News | TechRadar

More reading.

Why Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Sales Soared as Apple's iPad Sales Plunged (AAPL, MSFT)

Even more.

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/...elta-air-lines
    spaulagain and snowmutt like this.
    01-03-2015 01:11 PM
    iPads dominance was purely due to lack of anything else. Now that true competition is engaged in the market like the Surface line, they are being phased out as they are just oversized iPhones.

When a decent iPad costs the same as a "low end" Surface Pro (albeit much higher specs), the Surface Pro is a clear winner for businesses.
    01-03-2015 01:31 PM
    When Joe said 'were just aligning everything', which makes sense (and is pretty much expected around these parts if you weren't just 'omg ios has better word!") what im wondering, how come those aren't aligned as well?

so all of windows has to wait for win10 but android and ios don't? Would it have hurt them to release everything at once?
    "Hey heres our new awesome Touch Office for Win10. Guess what, its also available for ios and android!" Instead of just quietly releasing revamped touch office for ios/android and then say 'oh windows guys just wait...touch office is comin with win10 some several months after please be patient'
    01-03-2015 01:45 PM
    I too jumped ship back to iOS land. I went from an iPhone 4s to a 720 then a 920 and finally a 1020 before going back to the 6+. I had very high hopes with Windows Phone that just seemed to fizzle. XBOX music...horrible. Office on the WP platform is not at feature parity with iOS versions (password protected One Note pages for example).
    What I don't get is this assumption that converging the OS's for the different platforms is going to mean developers are going to jump at writing Windows Store Apps. By and large most windows apps are still good old .exe apps that you can buy/download from anywhere. I don't see Windows Phone supporting those so I don't see developers oohing and aahhing over the ability the write once for Windows/Phone/XBOX.
    What has to happen is a killer phone or a must-have feature but I don't see either happening in the time frame to help WP. I think we will see a resurgence of BlackBerry. BlackBerry seems to be listening to their customers and they have access to Android apps to boot.
    I'm sorry but I think supporting MS in this means that you will forever be beta testers for a company that is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks...and so far not much.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    01-03-2015 02:32 PM
    The iPhone is an awesome, awesome phone. My only complaint with it is iOS itself, and the "you take what we give you" approach that Apple has with it. That's why I prefer Android, as one can tailor their experience to fit their needs. My brief time with WP8.1 left me somewhat impressed in that it was a lot more customizable than I had thought it was going to be, but nothing like Android, and it is still very locked down, pretty much as bad as iOS is. So, my Moto X is my main device, and my iPhone 6 gets used primarily for gaming and music. I had the Lumia 830 but returned it because it was just waaay too underpowered. When a proper WP flagship comes to AT&T I'll likely give it another go.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    01-03-2015 02:43 PM
    01-03-2015 03:58 PM
    Hello,

Just curious, what are you basing the explode or fizzle comment on?

I think there is a middle ground - WP slowly gets market share and becomes more of a player. Why does it have to be one or the other?

There is still growth in Asia. WP might be better for business with integration of Windows 10. Dual sim phones - for work and home (why carry two devices)

The Surface 3 is awesome - a solid laptop replacement - would go nicely with a WP phone. But this might take time.

Right now, Android dominates the phones in the world partially because of their integration with Google Services. Microsoft also provides services, Bing, Skype, Office, Xbox, Cortana and Windows. Apple - besides iTunes - do they offer any services?

Microsoft also has money. For them to give up this area of the market would be crazy. I think they really need to step up their marketing in different regions. But don't try to be Apple. Most people I know do not even know MS has a phone.

Or maybe you see something I don't. Regardless - thanks for the comment!

Mr. V
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-03-2015 04:11 PM
    01-03-2015 04:47 PM
    None of the links you provided showed any numbers for corporate or enterprise usage. In 2014, iPad was at 90% usage for that market.

http://media.www1.good.com/documents...index-2014.pdf
    Are you kidding me? You're hanging your hat on Good activations? Did you ever consider that SP3 devices, or any x86 tablet, don't need Good services for proper Exchange integration? IT departments can configure enterprise Exchange systems natively on the Pro series tablets, not so with mobile OSes like Android or iOS. C'mon, you can do better than that.
    James8561 likes this.
    01-03-2015 05:04 PM
    Same website says ipad pro will will be loved by business....Will the iPad Pro be the next blockbuster enterprise device? | News | TechRadar
    Anything's possible. But unless they put OS X in the Pro, it'll just be a bigger version of what's available now. The article did mention that apps are being written to facilitate enterprise-level security within iOS. Which leads us back to the point that Windows 8.1 devices already have baked-in what IT managers have been clamoring for in mobile devices. Android is not even part of the discussion for now since Knox was shown to be as worthless as tits on a bull.

I'm having a hard time understanding why iOS and Android followers can't admit that Microsoft has introduced a better mousetrap for business users. Delta Airlines is one of the first commercial airlines to replace iPads in their cockpits. For those unaware of how the FAA works, this was not a willy-nilly decision. The FAA had to approve this first and soon all US airlines will follow suit because the FAA likes uniformity and what the FAA wants, the FAA gets. AOPA, the pilot's union, fought this tooth and nail and LOST. Why? Security. In-Flight systems will be handled through the Surface tablets and not just flight plan info as was being done on iPads. Don't be too surprised when Lumias replace every flight attendants' phones. This is not going to be by choice, it will be a mandate. Word is that a secondary device will be trialled on a much smaller test sample and our fly-boys will have to make a choice and that will be final. Hint: it's not iOS or Android. My guess would be BB but John Chen hasn't announced any plans for a new tablet and I seriously doubt it would be a PlayBook.
    snowmutt and spaulagain like this.
    01-03-2015 05:27 PM
    I decided to take the year off and give iOS a go. Upgraded to an 830, but had to return it due to touch screen/search button issues. Microsoft has chosen not to provide a real flagship till Win10, so if something is interesting next year, I'll come back. My wife is happy with her 635 and I have one as a backup, so I'm not totally gone.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-03-2015 05:28 PM
    My sister has the iPhone 6 +. She let me play with it for 2 minutes and I hated it!!! It is also the most ugliest phone I have ever seen and it looks cheap. I'm very happy with my 1520.
    I never liked the look of the iPhones, but the iPhone 6 in black is a piece of art. The way the glass is curved perfectly and how everything is so well designed. It's almost a fashion accessory. I mean picture a powerful CEO with a nice gucci suit and a big square orange lumia or with an iPhone 6. People will get phones as fashion accessories as well. In the world of clothing iPhone 6 is designer. Of course everyone has their own styles of clothes just like their phones. But one thing is for sure people want their phones to look good. It's become something that is part of you. So while your own taste says that it's ugly. My opinion is that it's the best looking phone ever made.

I'm hoping the LG rumored phone does actually come out as that one is likely going to be a nice looking phone.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-03-2015 06:02 PM
    Are you kidding me? You're hanging your hat on Good activations? Did you ever consider that SP3 devices, or any x86 tablet, don't need Good services for proper Exchange integration? IT departments can configure enterprise Exchange systems natively on the Pro series tablets, not so with mobile OSes like Android or iOS. C'mon, you can do better than that.
    Every article I read regarding tablets in enterprise says the same thing, that Apple dominates the sector.

You posted an article that says an airline switched over to the Surface, but is there anything else you've read that shows that the Surface is stealing enterprise customers away from Apple? I'd like to think it's true, but I'd rather stay grounded in reality.
    01-03-2015 06:10 PM
    Every article I read regarding tablets in enterprise says the same thing, that Apple dominates the sector.

You posted an article that says an airline switched over to the Surface, but is there anything else you've read that shows that the Surface is stealing enterprise customers away from Apple? I'd like to think it's true, but I'd rather stay grounded in reality.
    The NFL for one, that's 32 teams. If Ballmer has his way, the NBA will follow suit. Expect all US airlines to adopt the Surface Pro within the next 3 months after the secondary device (unknown at this time) finishes its trial period. As I mentioned in a prior post, the FAA will make it obligatory for all carriers to use the same device throughout and that's not going to be up for debate.
    01-03-2015 06:26 PM
    Anything's possible. But unless they put OS X in the Pro, it'll just be a bigger version of what's available now. The article did mention that apps are being written to facilitate enterprise-level security within iOS. Which leads us back to the point that Windows 8.1 devices already have baked-in what IT managers have been clamoring for in mobile devices. Android is not even part of the discussion for now since Knox was shown to be as worthless as tits on a bull.

I'm having a hard time understanding why iOS and Android followers can't admit that Microsoft has introduced a better mousetrap for business users. Delta Airlines is one of the first commercial airlines to replace iPads in their cockpits. For those unaware of how the FAA works, this was not a willy-nilly decision. The FAA had to approve this first and soon all US airlines will follow suit because the FAA likes uniformity and what the FAA wants, the FAA gets. AOPA, the pilot's union, fought this tooth and nail and LOST. Why? Security. In-Flight systems will be handled through the Surface tablets and not just flight plan info as was being done on iPads. Don't be too surprised when Lumias replace every flight attendants' phones. This is not going to be by choice, it will be a mandate. Word is that a secondary device will be trialled on a much smaller test sample and our fly-boys will have to make a choice and that will be final. Hint: it's not iOS or Android. My guess would be BB but John Chen hasn't announced any plans for a new tablet and I seriously doubt it would be a PlayBook.
    I hope the surface 3 is successful, good lord they surely flopped on making any money on the first 2. It's Softies BS sales numbers that always make me skeptical. Sales doubled to $908 million, but they paid the nfl $400 million to use the surface. Hopefully it will catch on and actually MAKE money. Staying on topic, yes, both the 6 and 6+ are great phones. But i choose not to buy a phone on contract anymore and i ain't payin' $700 when a 635 for $41.76 works just fine.
    Last edited by etad putta; 01-03-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    01-03-2015 06:33 PM
    Windows 10 has the advantage that it comes on every platform from Microsoft and that makes it the biggest platform for apps that there is. This is for developers a reason to develop apps because they can reach more people than on any other platform out there without making different apps for each platform.
    I want to now if they will announce wp 10 to on January 21 and tell when it comes to the current devices.
    Windows 10 is also one of the reasons why my next game console will be the xbox one.
    01-03-2015 06:58 PM
    The NFL for one, that's 32 teams. If Ballmer has his way, the NBA will follow suit. Expect all US airlines to adopt the Surface Pro within the next 3 months after the secondary device (unknown at this time) finishes its trial period. As I mentioned in a prior post, the FAA will make it obligatory for all carriers to use the same device throughout and that's not going to be up for debate.
    The NFL adopted the Surface because Microsoft paid them to do so, and as far as the airlines go, I got the impression that it was a deal that Microsoft worked out with them as well.

I would like to think that enterprise customer will use Surface because of its superior capabilities, but the NFL and airline stories you're pointing out don't really show a massive change. People use their iPad's at work because they're in love with them. The places we see where Surface is making headway are a result of deals that have been made by Microsoft with the respective companies.

Last year, there were many articles like this: Apple's Enterprise Sales: 'Unbelievable' - Business Insider

I'm hoping that 2015 will have similar articles featuring the Surface instead, but we will likely have to wait.
    01-03-2015 07:19 PM
    Ya, sorry to tell ya SIR but my work gave me a 6+... give it a couple of updates and it will slow like every other phone. Go post on a crApple board.
    01-03-2015 07:27 PM
    The iPhone 6 does feel good in the hand, but it feels so slippery thanks to its curves sides and polished body. But guess what, the L735 feel just as good in the hand. The two have almost identical dimensions. Both feel highly responsive. But one looks so much better with a coloured (green) shell.
    I prefer a lumia over the iphone any day of the week but im saying if you're the average shopper and you don't know anything about phones, i can see why people would want one more than other flagships despite its ridiculous price. It does feel extremely slippery and fragile though thats for sure.
    01-03-2015 08:08 PM
    Ya, sorry to tell ya SIR but my work gave me a 6+... give it a couple of updates and it will slow like every other phone. Go post on a crApple board.
    Nobody likes a fanboy.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-03-2015 08:13 PM
    The NFL adopted the Surface because Microsoft paid them to do so, and as far as the airlines go, I got the impression that it was a deal that Microsoft worked out with them as well.

I would like to think that enterprise customer will use Surface because of its superior capabilities, but the NFL and airline stories you're pointing out don't really show a massive change. People use their iPad's at work because they're in love with them. The places we see where Surface is making headway are a result of deals that have been made by Microsoft with the respective companies.

Last year, there were many articles like this: Apple's Enterprise Sales: 'Unbelievable' - Business Insider

I'm hoping that 2015 will have similar articles featuring the Surface instead, but we will likely have to wait.

I never said it was a massive change. I said the iPad is being phased out. You asked for proof and I gave it to you. The whys and wherefores are irrelevant. You go out of your way to argue with me at every turn. Reply if you want, I couldn't give a fat baby's azz. I'm out.
    01-03-2015 08:51 PM
82 1234