Should I move on to an Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: tried an iphone 6 and iphone 6+ today .... got so jealous !

If you really like the iPhone 6/6+, then sell your Windows Phone device and get one...Simple and easy, if you don't like what you have then get what you want and move on...life is too short to complain that you got the wrong phone.

As for Windows Phone 10 or Windows 10 phone edition at this point, who knows, no leaks, no captures (accept for some still image that no one knows for sure). We know what the PC looks like (for the most part at this point) but, the phone, only MS knows.

To say it's going to blow the water out of the iPhone is yet to be seen but, personally, I think Windows Phone 8.1.1 already does that (my wife has a 5c and I have had to use it many times)

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

just bought a lumia 1520 online to replace my lumia 925 , was so happy with my dicision until i saw an iphone 6 ,, with its smooth performance ..
even saw a WORD app from microsoft on the iphone !!
why we Windows phone users dont have that and the damn iphone have it ?
Why microsoft makes its own apps better on other platformes ??
i dont know but i feel like i regreted buying the lumia 1520 after seeing that .

Joe Belfiore: More news on Office for Windows Phone is coming before Feb. 19 | Windows Central

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I like the iPhone 6+ a lot actually.
I had one for 2 days but I missed my tiles and Windows phone OS :p

If Microsoft annoys me too much, I am jumping ship to the iPhone.
But presently, nothing can beat my lumia 1520 and I am not too upset of a Word app or Office apps on iPhone or android as the one we have now works just fine for me.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Where have I heard this before? WP7 was supposed to "change" everything. Didn't happen? Oh just kidding guys WP7.5 "Mango" will be the real deal... No? Lets add a tad bit of mainstream to appeal to a broader audience with 8.0... [Crickets] well 8.1 will have Cortana and action center, it's sure to be the bees knees! Woooow a whopping 3% guys!! I can't wait for Windows 10 to blow everything out of the water this one's definitely it guys!.............. Lol sums up about the past four years of Microsoft's mobile effort.

Wow, you're so off key it's not even funny.

First of all, no one ever said WP7 was going to "change everything." That being said, for Microsoft, WP7 was changing everything as it was their first main debut of their new UI design language (Zune wasn't really that close).

WP8 was to get the mobile OS onto the same kernel as Windows 8 to help build the path for the eventual merge of the two OSes. And to catch up on some of the features.

Windows 10 is about unifying the OSes,the app environment, and hopefully about really bringing on the features.

Like I said earlier, unless MS randomly strips out all the features from Windows RT, Windows 10 mobile should be pretty packed with features and functionality. In addition it will completely merge the Windows store and app development environment.

If Windows 10 is a successful Desktop OS, it can bleed that success into the mobile OS since they're no longer two separate OSes.

Now, I'm not saying that with W10, we'll see a massive surge of Window phones. In fact, I'm not sure it will ever take hold more than 10% or so. But it will make it a more even playing field and hopefully neutralize the app gap issue. Developers would be damned stupid to ignore Windows 10 if it gets anywhere near the install base of Windows 7.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Wow, you're so off key it's not even funny.

First of all, no one ever said WP7 was going to "change everything." That being said, for Microsoft, WP7 was changing everything as it was their first main debut of their new UI design language (Zune wasn't really that close).

WP8 was to get the mobile OS onto the same kernel as Windows 8 to help build the path for the eventual merge of the two OSes. And to catch up on some of the features.

Windows 10 is about unifying the OSes,the app environment, and hopefully about really bringing on the features.

Like I said earlier, unless MS randomly strips out all the features from Windows RT, Windows 10 mobile should be pretty packed with features and functionality. In addition it will completely merge the Windows store and app development environment.

If Windows 10 is a successful Desktop OS, it can bleed that success into the mobile OS since they're no longer two separate OSes.

Now, I'm not saying that with W10, we'll see a massive surge of Window phones. In fact, I'm not sure it will ever take hold more than 10% or so. But it will make it a more even playing field and hopefully neutralize the app gap issue. Developers would be damned stupid to ignore Windows 10 if it gets anywhere near the install base of Windows 7.

What you mentioned about changing UI was precisely what I was talking about. As for the rest I know exactly what Microsoft was doing on their end every Microsoft fan/enthusiast knew. What I was taking about however was the consumer smartphone perspective. John Q Customer doesn't give a rats *** what kernel which OS is using all he cares about is whether or not he can send a naughty snap to that cute girl he met last weekend. Perhaps upload that cute video of his cat on Instagram. Play hay day or clash of clans with his siblings. Oh wait you know what? Windows Phone can't do ANY of those! So what happens? 3% is what happens.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

Don't you know that if you love MS services then use Android or iOS not WP.
What you can except from other Devs when MS treat their own OS inferior to other and their apps quality is the proof of that.

and since WP isn't as fast & fluid as it was before. So, obviously iPhone 6 is better than WP flagship device.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

As much as i love to hate apple and despise the company in every single way, i held the iphone 6, i had to admit, it felt really good in the hand, its definitely not cheap (probably because it actually isnt) but it feels really good when you hold it, its thin, its light and feels premium, much better than many android flagships i've held. Of course i still wouldn't trade a lumia flagship over one even if my life depended on it.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows Phone, but I do not like the strategy of bringing Microsoft apps to IOS and Android. I believe that WP should have exclusivity. It will distort the app gap in Windows Phone favour.

Office and MSN apps should be solely on Microsoft devices.

Btw I've used the iPhone 6 and 6+. Long story short: I'm sticking with my Lumias.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

How can anyone be jealous of an iPhone. The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles, no info at a glance. You have to launch the app to get information.

Live tiles are so much better. I just can't get past the UI on other platforms. No jealousy here, that's for sure.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
How can anyone be jealous of an iPhone. The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles, no info at a glance. You have to launch the app to get information.

Live tiles are so much better. I just can't get past the UI on other platforms. No jealousy here, that's for sure.

And I think here OP is referring to app quality and fluidity of OS.

UI is not everything.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I think it'll do neither. In a year from now we'll probably be saying what we're saying now; "This year, when Windows 10 hits..." except we'll be adding "GDR1." WP has plodded along for over 4 years now, and it's at 3% market share where it's been for about half that time.

If W10 is the hit it is purported to be, it probably won't happen right out of the gate. It'll take time to work its way into the market, and will probably require an update or two to squash bugs. I bet we'll be looking at sometime in 2016 until we see any significant change to WP's place in the market, IF it happens at all!

These are not the optimisms you were looking for..

Every 6-12 months a new device comes out from different OEMs. Sure you can look at the reflection in the water and think the bone is bigger, but its all part of a cycle. So in being real, iPhone 6p is nice, but I'll hold on to my 1520 which I like better. I can name services that I know Windows has that iPhone doesn't and WP had Office way before iPhone. My 1530 W10 will blow the 6 away. That is untill the 7 comes along and the cycle will start over again.

My lane is sound.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

i had to admit, it felt really good in the hand
The iPhone 6 does feel good in the hand, but it feels so slippery thanks to its curves sides and polished body. But guess what, the L735 feel just as good in the hand. The two have almost identical dimensions. Both feel highly responsive. But one looks so much better with a coloured (green) shell.

The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles
I think you've nailed it! iOS (and Android) are very much like Win 3.1. However, the iOS clock icon is like a live tile / widget in that the time displayed on the icon is the current time. I've always felt that widgets in Android were clumsy, and I hated the way that a single app would install three or four widgets depending on the information you want them to display and how large you wanted them.

One thing I miss from Android is the ASOP calendar widget. It's frustrating that the WP live tile shows such a limited range of calendar entries.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

These are not the optimisms you were looking for..

Every 6-12 months a new device comes out from different OEMs. Sure you can look at the reflection in the water and think the bone is bigger, but its all part of a cycle. So in being real, iPhone 6p is nice, but I'll hold on to my 1520 which I like better. I can name services that I know Windows has that iPhone doesn't and WP had Office way before iPhone. My 1530 W10 will blow the 6 away. That is untill the 7 comes along and the cycle will start over again.

My lane is sound.

Nice, but what you wrote has little to do with my post. I'm not sure why you quoted it!

But to respond to yours, I understand your opinion, and I somewhat agree with you. But the market doesn't. Given your logic, WP should be doing much better than 3% market share. I'm no Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly respect Apple and what they have accomplished in the mobile field. I believe that Apple deserves every fan they have, and I will not criticize a single one. Were it not for the cost I might be one of them. A few years ago it was pretty much a fact that the iPhone was easily the best, although we have seen some parity since then. It's pretty easy for anyone looking in from the outside to discredit the praise given to WP with one question, "Why isn't WP selling?"

And just so you know, the 1530 W10 will probably not be competing with the iPhone 6/6+. It will compete with the iPhone 7/7+, since they'll probably be released at about the same time. You already implied that the iPhone 7 would be a step above. So once again WP still looks at the taillights...

And please humor me: what services does Windows (Phone) have the the iPhone doesn't? I don't mean brand specific, but services where the iPhone has no equivalent.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Oh cry me a river. We have a Word app. And it was just this past year that iPhone got "better" Office apps. In fact, just a year ago the iPhone didn't have any Office app.

When Windows 10 launches, I can practically guarantee you that Windows "Phone" will blow the iPhone away. Especially in terms of Microsoft apps.

Welcome to technology.

i'm putting "iphone-funeral-parade" in this post so searching for this thread, after windows phone 10 is released sometime this year, it will be easy to find the thread. it will be interesting to see the expectations/predictions vs realizations.

ok, until then..... :)

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Would never trade my 1520 for a iPhone.. Wp10 and denim will rock your socks off!!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I love Windows Phone, but I do not like the strategy of bringing Microsoft apps to IOS and Android. I believe that WP should have exclusivity. It will distort the app gap in Windows Phone favour.

Office and MSN apps should be solely on Microsoft devices.

Btw I've used the iPhone 6 and 6+. Long story short: I'm sticking with my Lumias.

That kind of strategy would tank Microsoft services. As long as their services are limited to MS products, and alternatives are available across platform, then MS will lose share in the market.

This exclusivity argument is flawed and tiresome.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site

This threads are useless. No one really cares is you are jealous or not. Just deal with it like a man abd stop wasting server's resources for this things.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What you mentioned about changing UI was precisely what I was talking about. As for the rest I know exactly what Microsoft was doing on their end every Microsoft fan/enthusiast knew. What I was taking about however was the consumer smartphone perspective. John Q Customer doesn't give a rats *** what kernel which OS is using all he cares about is whether or not he can send a naughty snap to that cute girl he met last weekend. Perhaps upload that cute video of his cat on Instagram. Play hay day or clash of clans with his siblings. Oh wait you know what? Windows Phone can't do ANY of those! So what happens? 3% is what happens.

So what's your point other than to babble 3% again?

We all know WP fell short of consumer needs for years. Much of that was due to market saturation before WP was launched (app gap). But that doesn't mean its doomed or worthless as a product.

Just look at Apple, OSX for years was limited on available applications. Which is why many people stuck with Windows. And OSXs market share reflected that staying at around 5% or less.

But now due to the success of Apple's other products, OSX has gained momentum and matured in a way that has brought many of those applications to OSX now. Even with the low market share it has.

Your point seems to be that regardless of how good a product is, all that matters is the petty market share.

I'm saying, that's a really narrow way to look at it. And if that was the case, there would be a lot of companies that should just shut their doors and give up. In reality, market share is only a temporary thing, it can change dramatically based on many factors often outside the companies control. But if they have a good product, and a long term strategy, than it's good to stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro