Should I move on to an Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: tried an iphone 6 and iphone 6+ today .... got so jealous !

Hello,

Just curious, what are you basing the explode or fizzle comment on?

I think there is a middle ground - WP slowly gets market share and becomes more of a player. Why does it have to be one or the other?

There is still growth in Asia. WP might be better for business with integration of Windows 10. Dual sim phones - for work and home (why carry two devices)

The Surface 3 is awesome - a solid laptop replacement - would go nicely with a WP phone. But this might take time.

Right now, Android dominates the phones in the world partially because of their integration with Google Services. Microsoft also provides services, Bing, Skype, Office, Xbox, Cortana and Windows. Apple - besides iTunes - do they offer any services?

Microsoft also has money. For them to give up this area of the market would be crazy. I think they really need to step up their marketing in different regions. But don't try to be Apple. Most people I know do not even know MS has a phone.

Or maybe you see something I don't. Regardless - thanks for the comment!

Mr. V

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

None of the links you provided showed any numbers for corporate or enterprise usage. In 2014, iPad was at 90% usage for that market.

http://media.www1.good.com/documents/rpt-mobility-index-2014.pdf

Are you kidding me? You're hanging your hat on Good activations? Did you ever consider that SP3 devices, or any x86 tablet, don't need Good services for proper Exchange integration? IT departments can configure enterprise Exchange systems natively on the Pro series tablets, not so with mobile OSes like Android or iOS. C'mon, you can do better than that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Anything's possible. But unless they put OS X in the Pro, it'll just be a bigger version of what's available now. The article did mention that apps are being written to facilitate enterprise-level security within iOS. Which leads us back to the point that Windows 8.1 devices already have baked-in what IT managers have been clamoring for in mobile devices. Android is not even part of the discussion for now since Knox was shown to be as worthless as tits on a bull.

I'm having a hard time understanding why iOS and Android followers can't admit that Microsoft has introduced a better mousetrap for business users. Delta Airlines is one of the first commercial airlines to replace iPads in their cockpits. For those unaware of how the FAA works, this was not a willy-nilly decision. The FAA had to approve this first and soon all US airlines will follow suit because the FAA likes uniformity and what the FAA wants, the FAA gets. AOPA, the pilot's union, fought this tooth and nail and LOST. Why? Security. In-Flight systems will be handled through the Surface tablets and not just flight plan info as was being done on iPads. Don't be too surprised when Lumias replace every flight attendants' phones. This is not going to be by choice, it will be a mandate. Word is that a secondary device will be trialled on a much smaller test sample and our fly-boys will have to make a choice and that will be final. Hint: it's not iOS or Android. My guess would be BB but John Chen hasn't announced any plans for a new tablet and I seriously doubt it would be a PlayBook.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I decided to take the year off and give iOS a go. Upgraded to an 830, but had to return it due to touch screen/search button issues. Microsoft has chosen not to provide a real flagship till Win10, so if something is interesting next year, I'll come back. My wife is happy with her 635 and I have one as a backup, so I'm not totally gone.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

My sister has the iPhone 6 +. She let me play with it for 2 minutes and I hated it!!! It is also the most ugliest phone I have ever seen and it looks cheap. I'm very happy with my 1520.

I never liked the look of the iPhones, but the iPhone 6 in black is a piece of art. The way the glass is curved perfectly and how everything is so well designed. It's almost a fashion accessory. I mean picture a powerful CEO with a nice gucci suit and a big square orange lumia or with an iPhone 6. People will get phones as fashion accessories as well. In the world of clothing iPhone 6 is designer. Of course everyone has their own styles of clothes just like their phones. But one thing is for sure people want their phones to look good. It's become something that is part of you. So while your own taste says that it's ugly. My opinion is that it's the best looking phone ever made.

I'm hoping the LG rumored phone does actually come out as that one is likely going to be a nice looking phone.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Are you kidding me? You're hanging your hat on Good activations? Did you ever consider that SP3 devices, or any x86 tablet, don't need Good services for proper Exchange integration? IT departments can configure enterprise Exchange systems natively on the Pro series tablets, not so with mobile OSes like Android or iOS. C'mon, you can do better than that.

Every article I read regarding tablets in enterprise says the same thing, that Apple dominates the sector.

You posted an article that says an airline switched over to the Surface, but is there anything else you've read that shows that the Surface is stealing enterprise customers away from Apple? I'd like to think it's true, but I'd rather stay grounded in reality.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Every article I read regarding tablets in enterprise says the same thing, that Apple dominates the sector.

You posted an article that says an airline switched over to the Surface, but is there anything else you've read that shows that the Surface is stealing enterprise customers away from Apple? I'd like to think it's true, but I'd rather stay grounded in reality.

The NFL for one, that's 32 teams. If Ballmer has his way, the NBA will follow suit. Expect all US airlines to adopt the Surface Pro within the next 3 months after the secondary device (unknown at this time) finishes its trial period. As I mentioned in a prior post, the FAA will make it obligatory for all carriers to use the same device throughout and that's not going to be up for debate.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Anything's possible. But unless they put OS X in the Pro, it'll just be a bigger version of what's available now. The article did mention that apps are being written to facilitate enterprise-level security within iOS. Which leads us back to the point that Windows 8.1 devices already have baked-in what IT managers have been clamoring for in mobile devices. Android is not even part of the discussion for now since Knox was shown to be as worthless as tits on a bull.

I'm having a hard time understanding why iOS and Android followers can't admit that Microsoft has introduced a better mousetrap for business users. Delta Airlines is one of the first commercial airlines to replace iPads in their cockpits. For those unaware of how the FAA works, this was not a willy-nilly decision. The FAA had to approve this first and soon all US airlines will follow suit because the FAA likes uniformity and what the FAA wants, the FAA gets. AOPA, the pilot's union, fought this tooth and nail and LOST. Why? Security. In-Flight systems will be handled through the Surface tablets and not just flight plan info as was being done on iPads. Don't be too surprised when Lumias replace every flight attendants' phones. This is not going to be by choice, it will be a mandate. Word is that a secondary device will be trialled on a much smaller test sample and our fly-boys will have to make a choice and that will be final. Hint: it's not iOS or Android. My guess would be BB but John Chen hasn't announced any plans for a new tablet and I seriously doubt it would be a PlayBook.

I hope the surface 3 is successful, good lord they surely flopped on making any money on the first 2. It's Softies BS sales numbers that always make me skeptical. Sales doubled to $908 million, but they paid the nfl $400 million to use the surface. Hopefully it will catch on and actually MAKE money. Staying on topic, yes, both the 6 and 6+ are great phones. But i choose not to buy a phone on contract anymore and i ain't payin' $700 when a 635 for $41.76 works just fine.

Last edited:

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

Windows 10 has the advantage that it comes on every platform from Microsoft and that makes it the biggest platform for apps that there is. This is for developers a reason to develop apps because they can reach more people than on any other platform out there without making different apps for each platform.
I want to now if they will announce wp 10 to on January 21 and tell when it comes to the current devices.
Windows 10 is also one of the reasons why my next game console will be the xbox one.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

The NFL for one, that's 32 teams. If Ballmer has his way, the NBA will follow suit. Expect all US airlines to adopt the Surface Pro within the next 3 months after the secondary device (unknown at this time) finishes its trial period. As I mentioned in a prior post, the FAA will make it obligatory for all carriers to use the same device throughout and that's not going to be up for debate.

The NFL adopted the Surface because Microsoft paid them to do so, and as far as the airlines go, I got the impression that it was a deal that Microsoft worked out with them as well.

I would like to think that enterprise customer will use Surface because of its superior capabilities, but the NFL and airline stories you're pointing out don't really show a massive change. People use their iPad's at work because they're in love with them. The places we see where Surface is making headway are a result of deals that have been made by Microsoft with the respective companies.

Last year, there were many articles like this: Apple's Enterprise Sales: 'Unbelievable' - Business Insider

I'm hoping that 2015 will have similar articles featuring the Surface instead, but we will likely have to wait.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Ya, sorry to tell ya SIR but my work gave me a 6+... give it a couple of updates and it will slow like every other phone. Go post on a crApple board.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

The iPhone 6 does feel good in the hand, but it feels so slippery thanks to its curves sides and polished body. But guess what, the L735 feel just as good in the hand. The two have almost identical dimensions. Both feel highly responsive. But one looks so much better with a coloured (green) shell.
I prefer a lumia over the iphone any day of the week but im saying if you're the average shopper and you don't know anything about phones, i can see why people would want one more than other flagships despite its ridiculous price. It does feel extremely slippery and fragile though thats for sure.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Ya, sorry to tell ya SIR but my work gave me a 6+... give it a couple of updates and it will slow like every other phone. Go post on a crApple board.

Nobody likes a ******.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The NFL adopted the Surface because Microsoft paid them to do so, and as far as the airlines go, I got the impression that it was a deal that Microsoft worked out with them as well.

I would like to think that enterprise customer will use Surface because of its superior capabilities, but the NFL and airline stories you're pointing out don't really show a massive change. People use their iPad's at work because they're in love with them. The places we see where Surface is making headway are a result of deals that have been made by Microsoft with the respective companies.

Last year, there were many articles like this: Apple's Enterprise Sales: 'Unbelievable' - Business Insider

I'm hoping that 2015 will have similar articles featuring the Surface instead, but we will likely have to wait.

I never said it was a massive change. I said the iPad is being phased out. You asked for proof and I gave it to you. The whys and wherefores are irrelevant. You go out of your way to argue with me at every turn. Reply if you want, I couldn't give a fat baby's azz. I'm out.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

How can anyone be jealous of an iPhone. The interface is so.... Windows 3.1 like, what with everything being an icon on the desktop, so to speak. No live tiles, no info at a glance. You have to launch the app to get information.
Live tiles are so much better. I just can't get past the UI on other platforms. No jealousy here, that's for sure.

That was my perception after using an iPhone 4S for a while. It did work very well, but seemed like a high-powered Palm Pilot or Tungsten T3. True, if you can think of it, there's probably an app for it in the App Store, but I really wanted to see something more like what WM6.5 provided on the "home" screen and Office compatibility.
I started with a Handspring Visor Prism in 2002, then an AT&T Tilt 8925 in 2008. Briefly tried a Samsung Captivate Glide (I like real keyboards) but didn't care for Quickoffice or the possibility of malware (perceived anyway), and then went to the 4S for about 2 years. Added a NUU bluetooth keyboard. Upgraded to a 5S for a bit, then went all the way back to an AT&T Tilt2. True, the 5S included Pages and Numbers (Word and Excel type apps), but it felt like some more of the same with a nice fingerprint scanner (it did make the upgrade painless). I didn't care for using Numbers on the iPhone (seems a bit clunky, not as much formula power), and you had to have the latest version of Numbers for Mac (not even Excel for Mac) or it wouldn't sync spreadsheets. Grrrr.
I wanted to try WP for some time (I'm a ways from upgrade eligible) so I bought a used HTC Titan 2 and found I like the interface. Thanks to the Windows Central Forums, I updated it to WP7.8. :smile: The ability to resize the tiles and move things around is far better in my opinion than just seeing a list of apps. Seeing the time, date, email and text counts, and the next calendar appt on the lock screen is useful to me as well. iOS doesn't provide all of that as easily. Now if we could just customize the WP lock screen a little more... (I really haven't looked yet) My main complaint with WP is I can't sync everything to the computer like with WM6.5. Strikes me as odd that MS would drop that.

True, iPhones seem to be a bit of a status symbol, but they also work well. I too think (just my opinion; keep your arrows in the quiver) they are more for the mainstream user (such as my wife) and not so much for business. I use my phone nearly as a portable computer, editing documents on it routinely and computing various values in spreadsheets. Hence the reason I keep looking for keyboards. I also rely on the calendar quite a bit for reminders and such. Palm and WM6.5 were quite to my liking; it took some doing for me to get the same utility from iOS. Lollipop might provide a good home screen; I'll wait to find out.

My wife has an iPhone 6+. I answered a call for her today and thought I was holding an iPad to my head. It's pretty big! But, she likes it because the screen is bigger and easier to read. That's also what I like about the Titan2 over the Tilt2. Too bad the Titan 2 won't get WP10. :cry:

What I find a bit surprising is how the iPhone took so much marketshare. As I recall, WM6 was quite popular back in the day, (after Palm) as were Blackberries. Apple was originally making personal music players. Good marketing move on Apple's part. Perhaps the intended product markets are not the same...or the same size?

As was (kind of) stated a few times already--Find the phone you like. If it's not what everyone else has, so what? In six months, no one will notice. It needs to work for you. :smile:

Windows 10 has the advantage that it comes on every platform from Microsoft and that makes it the biggest platform for apps that there is. This is for developers a reason to develop apps because they can reach more people than on any other platform out there without making different apps for each platform.
I want to now if they will announce wp 10 to on January 21 and tell when it comes to the current devices.
Windows 10 is also one of the reasons why my next game console will be the xbox one.

Didn't realize Win10 was going to form the Windows collective. Interesting. I'm running the Tech Preview of Win 10 right now, and so far I like it. Seems like a thoughtful blend of Win8 and Win7 visually (i.e. the Start Menu is there). Don't know if it supports touch screen, but I suspect it does (my laptop doesn't have that). And it will run in Parallels 8 for Mac, despite info out on the Internet that it doesn't. And I've installed Zune w/o problems, may also try Office 2010.

For those looking for a flagship WP device, by chance did you look at the HTC One (M8) for Windows? Or was that what you had in mind? If Win 10 fixes Word and Excel (so we can cut/copy/paste/etc), I might get one.
(Sorry about the LONG post)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I never said it was a massive change. I said the iPad is being phased out.
I understand that's what you're saying, and all I have been asking for is some insight as to why you believe this.

You say that the airline and NFL deals are an indicator that the iPad is losing out in the enterprise/corporate sector to the Surface. I don't think the deals that Microsoft made with those companies completely validate your claim. The Surface is finding great success now, but lets be realistic here and not jump the gun.

I would personally love to see the Surface kicking the iPad's ****, especially since Tim Cook made fun of the Surface on stage at WWDC, he deserves to eat some crow over that.

You go out of your way to argue with me at every turn. Reply if you want, I couldn't give a fat baby's azz. I'm out.

This is unfortunate, and quite honestly, an unexpected reaction from you.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

For those looking for a flagship WP device, by chance did you look at the HTC One (M8) for Windows? Or was that what you had in mind? If Win 10 fixes Word and Excel (so we can cut/copy/paste/etc), I might get one.
(Sorry about the LONG post)

I'm not a fan of the physical design of the M8. I had the android one for a couple days, but returned it because I didn't like how tall it was and how much bezel it had. I really love Nokia's design and build quality, and would really like to have a flagship Lumia. The 830 was a gorgeous phone but Nokia cut the wrong corners and it felt incredibly under powered. I really like the 930, but unfortunately it's not compatible with AT&T's LTE network so it'll only get HSPA+, which is a deal breaker for me. Since I have never owned a windows phone before (aside from my very brief stint with the 830), I want my first WP experience to be a proper one, with a no compromise device. Hopefully Microsoft will release one this year.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

I have an unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 plus and an unlocked AT&T 1520. I am still debating which one to sell. I have used HTC titan, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020, Lumia Icon, Lumia 1520. The only windows phone I missed is the 1020.

First of all, I cannot tolerate the resuming screen. If there is an app open, unlock your phone will take you an resuming screen. I assume that Microsoft has heard of the problem a lot. Microsoft's inability to fix it says a lot about the platform.

Second, the camera speed. It is unbearable. It takes too long to take a picture and it takes too long to load a picture after taking it/

Third, picture quality is not as good as iPhone 6 plus. I was telling my daughter about how good cameras on lumia phones. My daughter challenged me to take a picture of a plant under a table lamp. iPhone picture is just like me looking at the plant. It cannot be said about lumia 1520.

Forth, home screen or start screen. WP start screen is so crowded. It does not look pretty.

Fifth, the app gap. I use google voice a lot. It is not available on wp. If Microsoft apps are better on other platforms than on windows phone.

Music control. how simple it is to control music playing on an iPhone. You have to restart music app to gain control back..

If anyone says that iPhone design is ugly, he/she is living in another world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99