Advantages of Windows for a iOS user?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, alot of my tech I own are apple products. I own a apple tv, a iphone, and a ipad. Im now saving up for a laptop and im trying to decide between a Windows Laptop or a Macbook. for a desktop computer, ive always used windows. Its something im not sure ill ever get away from on a desktop computer just because I like the option of gaming, and Mac gaming isnt anywhere close to what PC gaming is yet.

Originaly, i was going to just go with a macbook for the added interoperability with my ios stuff, but im keeping a open mind to windows for a laptop. The Dell XPS 13 coming this year looks great and I think the surface looks like a cool device as well and am interested to see what the pro 4 looks like.

Basicaly, would you guys still recommend a windows based laptop to someone who use a ipad, iphone, and apple tv (I admit I dont use the apple tv as much due to the fact I like the Roku 3 alot more right now) I should note that I dont have alot of purchased media on itunes. The music I bought is DRM free anyway and while I do have about 40 tv episodes purchased I dont really care about them anymore or really watching them again. I also dont have much of a software investment into windows. I never really bought programs besides a few games. of which id probaly want to play on my desktop anyway over a laptop.

anyway, I know this is a windows site, but id be curious what you guys think.

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I use Windows for my desktop, and both my laptops and also have another desktop running Puppy Linux and a Google Nexus tablet (which wants to know every time my dog goes out for a walk). I keep hearing people rave about their IPads, IPhones, IThis, IThat and IOther, so eventually I sat down with some IThings, and I was very disappointed because there was absolutely nothing on the IThings that I couldn't do with Windows, apart from more variety in apps. I don't begrudge the simplicity of the IThings, as I can see the benefit. My dislike of IThings is based on all IThems being overpriced, in my humble opinion, but then again I go back to the days when Linux was freeware without propriety wrappers.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I never had an iPad but did have an iPhone and didn't like how my music had to be on iTunes as it meant I couldn't transfer my music (or pics) to any other phone. And when my iPhone died (no drops or soaking) apple quoted me ?70 just for an over the phone diagnostics !! How the hell can they tell what's wrong with it when they can't see it ??? Hate apple for that alone. Bad customer service. Had a problem with my app store on windows... Got my credit (?20) refunded and waited no more then 2 seconds each time to have a live chat (which didn't cost a penny in a diagnostic) you have to ask yourself what you want the windows laptop for? If its for music, pics, general use then yes... Go for it. And the OS is more flexible (download emulators for example) plus the tiles flip and change and not just sit there on screen. That's my opinion anyway :)

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I never had an iPad but did have an iPhone and didn't like how my music had to be on iTunes as it meant I couldn't transfer my music (or pics) to any other phone. And when my iPhone died (no drops or soaking) apple quoted me ?70 just for an over the phone diagnostics !! How the hell can they tell what's wrong with it when they can't see it ??? Hate apple for that alone. Bad customer service. Had a problem with my app store on windows... Got my credit (?20) refunded and waited no more then 2 seconds each time to have a live chat (which didn't cost a penny in a diagnostic) you have to ask yourself what you want the windows laptop for? If its for music, pics, general use then yes... Go for it. And the OS is more flexible (download emulators for example) plus the tiles flip and change and not just sit there on screen. That's my opinion anyway :)

The main reason I'm on iOS is mainly a app thing. I also find them to be more stable than android alternatives.

The laptop is mainly going to be used for general school work as needed, Internet browsing, email, media, and I just wanted to own my own computer, not just the family one. Also for certain programs I may find. And I may be pursuing a computer major of some kind, so I'd like to atleast own my own computer.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Ah in that case then def go for it :) depending what apps you need you should find a good alternative

It still feels weird though, getting a windows laptop if I use iOS. While I can't even remember the last time I plugged my iOS devices to my PC. it still feels like a disconnect. Know what I mean? I Feel like I wouldn't feel that way if I used android for some reason.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ah in that case then def go for it :) depending what apps you need you should find a good alternative

Although there aren't many apps in the Windows Store, 1) Windows 10 will hopefully merge the stores from Windows and WP, offering more apps for all devices, and 2) almost all apps that iOS users use can be used on the web with the website pinned, or have full-fledged programs.

Satorindley

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Well the advantage of a MacBook is that you can run Windows on it with software like Parallels. But the advantage of Windows laptop/hybrid is that you can a have a touch screen which make Windows 8.1 fantastic and probably the best Operating System there is. Without touch I find it awkward to use.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So I actualy may be upgrading to a note 4 soon. I'm gonna do something different than iOS, and the note 4's screen, battery, and camera look pretty killer. I don't love touch wiz, but I think I can live with it. And I can always just use a different launcher.

So I assume android would go well with windows as well?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you plan to do any gaming? Although there are games available for OS X and Linux, there are many more games that are only available for PC.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to be using this laptop/tablet for some degree of work, whether it be school or enterprise related, you'd be restricting yourself from the ways you'd be able to access information if you get a MacBook. I only say that because you wouldn't be able to transition anything from your ipad to your MacBook, unless you used the cloud seeing as the ipads don't have external memory capability. You want to maximize your resourcefulness, and getting a 2in1 hybrid or a Surface Pro 3 would be the way to go. You may even find you won't have use for your ipad either. Besides, with Windows 10 right around the corner, you'd probably be getting one anyway, so why wait, and start enjoying the benefits of it now?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Do you plan to do any gaming? Although there are games available for OS X and Linux, there are many more games that are only available for PC.

Well yes, gaming is a consideration for sure. But I just don't know how good the gaming would be on a laptop that doesn't cost like 2500 dollars.

But certainly its something I'd like to do, at least for games from devs like valve and blizzard.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well yes, gaming is a consideration for sure. But I just don't know how good the gaming would be on a laptop that doesn't cost like 2500 dollars.

But certainly its something I'd like to do, at least for games from devs like valve and blizzard.
You won't need to spend that much money. Just check the specs on the Steam games. The majority do not require top-of-the-line graphics cards.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You won't need to spend that much money. Just check the specs on the Steam games. The majority do not require top-of-the-line graphics cards.

I must say im pretty taken by the new Dell XPS laptop. looks amazing, which is not something id expect from Dell (I often associated them with cheap crappy desktops and laptops)

I guess im just a odd ball that enjoys iOS for tablet and phone, but windows for desktop and possibly laptop. My thing is I personaly found android to be too disjointed. you have every OEM doing there own thing and its alot of times impossible for your device to recieve updates. iOS, although its made by apple, I just thinks works better and I also get updates quickly. I am keeping my eye on windows phone, as I think the OS is awesome, but unfortunately the app situation is just too much of a deal breaker for me personally. I still enjoy MS products though and services. I just have to come to terms with being a ios user who uses windows I guess. Which may not be that odd. I dont know. I do wonder which OS windows users go to and perfer if they dont use Windows Phone.

However I should say I still am deciding between either the 6 plus or moto x 2014. I guess im wondering which would better integrate with my PC

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You
I must say im pretty taken by the new Dell XPS laptop. looks amazing, which is not something id expect from Dell (I often associated them with cheap crappy desktops and laptops)

I guess im just a odd ball that enjoys iOS for tablet and phone, but windows for desktop and possibly laptop. My thing is I personaly found android to be too disjointed. you have every OEM doing there own thing and its alot of times impossible for your device to recieve updates. iOS, although its made by apple, I just thinks works better and I also get updates quickly. I am keeping my eye on windows phone, as I think the OS is awesome, but unfortunately the app situation is just too much of a deal breaker for me personally. I still enjoy MS products though and services. I just have to come to terms with being a ios user who uses windows I guess. Which may not be that odd. I dont know. I do wonder which OS windows users go to and perfer if they dont use Windows Phone.
It sounds like you should get the nexus 4/5/6, in my opinion it is pure android which means you will be guaranteed updates, like iPhones are and it's not disjointed at all since you are getting everything straight from google. You don't have to worry about support at all. Android 5.0 looks way more interesting than iOS 8. Sadly, Microsoft apps work better on platforms other than windows (that might change on the 21st). They are the perfect devices in my opinion

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You
It sounds like you should get the nexus 4/5/6, in my opinion it is pure android which means you will be guaranteed updates, like iPhones are and it's not disjointed at all since you are getting everything straight from google. You don't have to worry about support at all. Android 5.0 looks way more interesting than iOS 8. Sadly, Microsoft apps work better on platforms other than windows (that might change on the 21st). They are the perfect devices in my opinion

Well, actualy I am considering getting the Moto X 2014 Pure Edition. Ill be able to side step the carriers as far as updates go and moto seems to really value the stock google experience. plus, I think i like its size more.

But to be honest, I really think id be happier with the iphone. I honestly think it works best for me, and the MS support is pretty great. again, dont know if its weird to use iphone if I use a Windows PC as well. for some reason i just think all ios user use Mac, but I know of course thats not true.

Last edited:

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
So I actualy may be upgrading to a note 4 soon. I'm gonna do something different than iOS, and the note 4's screen, battery, and camera look pretty killer. I don't love touch wiz, but I think I can live with it. And I can always just use a different launcher.

So I assume android would go well with windows as well?

The major draw back I find with my nexus 7 running android, is that android is way too unstable, even with the latest updates for me to take seriously. It saddens me to have learned the hard way about android. Also the size of the screen is way too small for note taking imho. Im thinking that im going for the pro surface 3.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The major draw back I find with my nexus 7 running android, is that android is way too unstable, even with the latest updates for me to take seriously. It saddens me to have learned the hard way about android. Also the size of the screen is way too small for note taking imho. Im thinking that im going for the pro surface 3.

The nexus 7 is pretty old hardware now. I'm unsure you'd see such instability on recent devices. And lollipop is supposed to address lag issues.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, actualy I am considering getting the Moto X 2014 Pure Edition.

My wife has the Moto X 2014 Pure Edition, and I have the Nexus 6. They're quite similar except for the size. One other major difference is that the Nexus 6 has wireless charging. Other than that, it's pretty much up to which screen size you prefer, 5.2" or 6". The form is pretty much identical.

I'm curious what issues you're having and what's causing the instability. I have both the 2012 & 2013 versions, and both are rock solid. The 2012 is rather slow, but that's a known issue from Day 1. It works fine and is very stable. Do you have the 2012 version or the 2013 version? What OS version is installed? Is it stock?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss