09-03-2015 04:56 AM
93 1234
tools
    iOS put's apps to "Sleep" when those apps aren't in use. One of the features that both Windows and Android need.
    06-11-2015 05:00 PM
    iOS put's apps to "Sleep" when those apps aren't in use. One of the features that both Windows and Android need.
    Please. Apps on Windows Phone are already in their "sleep" mode when in the background. That's caused the infamous Resuming and is what I hate about it.

5efvol.jpg
    06-11-2015 08:58 PM
    One should also question whether "multitasking" involves any innovation discussion or not. From my standpoint in this day and age using several apps simultaneously on one screen doesn't have to do with innovation, it's more something everyone would expect to just work. Innovation would rather be a very distinctive / cutting-edge way of doing that.
    06-12-2015 12:31 AM
    Don't worry, Microsoft likes to emulate apple as much as they can so expect them to copy this in Windows 11.... /s
    Windows 10 will be final version of Windows - Telegraph
    06-12-2015 03:01 AM
    Look like everyone is also copying Samsung features.

Split screen.
    Split screen isn't a samsung feature dude. Trust me ;) It's second nature to split the screens if you want to do two things at the same time. I would rather say it's a Nintendo feature from the SNES time. Or a windows feature since windows could do a special split screening feature since Vista already ;) Way before the first Galaxy Note or even first iPhone came out!
    noersetiawan likes this.
    06-12-2015 04:22 AM
    I'm not sure I would call ANY version of ANY multitasking on a cellphone/tablet "great". Aside from the odd Android tablet that lets you have more than 2 apps open at a time (in awkward layouts or clunky "windows") most devices restrict you to a maximum of two apps shown on screen at a time. And when they do it's typically this awkward side-by-side layout where at least one, if not both, of the apps are awkwardly squished. How is that impressive?

Mobile multitasking is a joke, and it's meant to be because the screen sizes simply don't have the real estate to do the job. It's also because you can't layout multiple windows and switch between things on the fly ala a desktop. The current method of being able to rapidly switch between apps with a button press makes the most sense for a phone. They are not designed to be "PC's on the go." You can only do so much with 4-6" screens. Phone multitasking should be measured by how swiftly you can switch between apps and how quick they are to function once you do.

IMO the only company who got multitasking right in the tablet space was Microsoft. Surface is a tablet that's got your casual, tablet use covered and it can also convert to a full desktop PC when needed. So perfect. Shame they're going to go and screw up the tablet mode with Windows 10.
    noersetiawan likes this.
    06-12-2015 04:46 AM
    Split screen isn't a samsung feature dude. Trust me ;) It's second nature to split the screens if you want to do two things at the same time. I would rather say it's a Nintendo feature from the SNES time. Or a windows feature since windows could do a special split screening feature since Vista already ;) Way before the first Galaxy Note or even first iPhone came out!
    I mean to say Samsung is the first one to bring these features on mobile and phablet.
    And everyone else is following them.
    06-12-2015 05:07 AM
    If by "Windows" you mean WP or W10M, well guess what? That's exactly what happens... ever since WP7.1. apps that aren't in the foreground are suspended, i.e. sleeping. What that means is that while they do occupy space in RAM, they use no CPU cycles.

That isn't what's responsible for the resuming delay however.
    06-12-2015 06:04 AM
    Well you can snap four windows to the screen in W10 and alt-tab between them, or work on multiple things at once. Multi-tasking seems fine to me.

Besides, I recently read some uni research that correlates multi-tasking with negative health. People who focus on one job at a time do a much more efficient job, whilst people who excessively multi-task do a slopper job and cause their brains to fatigue super fast, and have more stress in their lives.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-12-2015 06:09 AM
    You do know that windows 10 is feature locked though, right? there aren't any additional changes coming, just bug fixes. your point is irrelevant.
    What is left is implementation of features and which will be implemented now and which will be implemented later or not at all. We do have a fast and a slow ring for a reason. In that vein, it is not finished. Ergo, his point is more valid than yours.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-2015 08:35 AM
    Split screen in old SNES games is nothing like what we're talking about here. This is a single app rendering two views for each player. Also, split screen gaming predates the SNES by quite a few years.

Split screen is merely a UX feature, splitting two screens in half, that facilitates displaying multiple apps without the hassle of manipulating app windows. Having multiple apps on screen at once is something else altogether and goes back at least to the days Apple System 5 and Windows 1.0.

It's not some monumental feat to software engineering; people were doing multitasking with 66Mhz Pentiums and 2MB of RAM. The limiting factor for mobile devices has been screen size, resolution, SoC architecture wasn't designed for it and of course apps themselves have gotten more taxing on the hardware.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-12-2015 10:29 AM
    I think the best thing Microsoft can do at this point is to step back from listening to any of the things you guys want because you guys change your mind more than you change your underwear. For the most part listening to it's users has propelled Windows forward in places it probably wouldn't have gotten to without us, but at the same time it comes to a point where you have to realize that your users may not always be right and they may need to tell the users what they want a la Apple.

Tablet mode got gimped because idiots moaned about their emphasis on tablet mode without equally telling Microsoft they actually enjoyed the tablet mode. At this point I just write most of you off as whiny 13 yr olds sitting on a computer telling grown ups what they should do meanwhile you haven't even learned to control your vocal cords. Instead of coming here complaining, come here and link people to your post asking Microsoft to keep tablet mode great. That way you can get people to actually do something like upvote your request (you know something they'll actually see...).

You guys have the most asinine way of getting your voice heard. It's amazing they even got users to actually join Insider and provide feedback in the first place, but it doesn't take a genius to realize the one's who did don't represent the voices in these forums because they use more of Windows than the casual brand loyal users you find here. Their vision of what Windows should be greatly differs from what casual users and WindowsCentral members would because they want the desktop experience and don't care for a balance of the two in a desktop environment (basically they're exactly like Apple users only they're more obdurately determined in their viewpoint and less likely to be swayed by whatever Microsoft says). In Apple's world users are fine having multiple devices that only do slightly different things, but if Apple told them they were going to make one device to do it all they'd all without a doubt applaud them and adjust. In contrast, if you tried that with Microsoft users they'd cry about how impractical that actually is and give a million ways as to how they could do it "The right way". Out of those two examples you only see one group asking the other to follow the examples of the other company even though they despise the companies practices.

Here's a link to one of the many asking to keep 8.1 start screen: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums...1-start-screen While I find it generally too broad in what it's asking, at least the user is being proactive and having their voice heard.

TL:DR
    Organize your thoughts, figure out exactly what you want from tablet mode that can work with the current vision of Windows 10 (obviously just saying "keep the 8.1 start screen" isn't going to work), shop the idea around the forums until you refine it to a clear path and present it in the feature request. After that, link it here and go on with your lives. Otherwise, you all just sound like a bunch of children who can't get their way so they cry.
    06-12-2015 12:58 PM
    It just looks like more webOS copies from 6 years ago. I haven't seen much innovated since then in a UX. Hardware has come light years, but the UX's are still trying to catch up with webOS and the dev teams put together way back in the future and it was the future having had palm and windows Treo's for years before.
    Long live webOS. It really was the best.
    06-12-2015 01:00 PM
    Somehow I'm a bit irritated. I know how the multitasking on Tablet + Win 8.1 worked, but I don't know how it works with Windows 10. I have seen a few videos for Windows 10, but I think I never saw one for Tablets. How is it different? Can someone give me a link & video?

Thank you!
    06-12-2015 01:31 PM
    Yea it's funny Desktop users complaining completely screwed up Windows on tablets. Now Apple copies all the cool things win 8.1 did on TABLETS and will be praised for being innovative.

Win 8.1 is going to be the win XP for tablets, Win 10 is such a horrible downgraded experience for touch.

Why does MS have to be so stupid? It's like they nerfed Win 10 for Tablet out of spite to try and win Desktop users back, when in reality they could have had "Tablet" mode act like win 8.1 and it would have had ZERO impact on win 10 users in desktop mode.
    Is it released yet? Have they actually released a Windows 10 Tablet, or released the full finished version of Windows 10? Lets re-visit this issue when its released, and if we are still having the same conversation, then lets debate. Debating on Beta software is stupid.
    06-12-2015 02:26 PM
    Please. Apps on Windows Phone are already in their "sleep" mode when in the background. That's caused the infamous Resuming and is what I hate about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5efvol.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	106298
    😂 resuming screen is bad already, but what's worse is sometimes (or most of time for me) the app doesn't actually resume but just got refreshed. But wait there's more, the worst is, the resumed app will refuse to launch at all until all apps in multitask screen are swiped away. Sometimes I question how WP8.1 manage RAM, since this didn't happen in WP8.
    sweatshopking likes this.
    06-12-2015 09:38 PM
    resuming screen is bad already, but what's worse is sometimes (or most of time for me) the app doesn't actually resume but just got refreshed. But wait there's more, the worst is, the resumed app will refuse to launch at all until all apps in multitask screen are swiped away. Sometimes I question how WP8.1 manage RAM, since this didn't happen in WP8.
    Resuming definitely got worse in 8.1 over 8. Let's hope 10 fixes it.
    06-12-2015 11:33 PM
    06-13-2015 01:20 AM
    What is left is implementation of features and which will be implemented now and which will be implemented later or not at all. We do have a fast and a slow ring for a reason. In that vein, it is not finished. Ergo, his point is more valid than yours.
    feature sets for windows 10 release are locked in and now it's bug fixes. there aren't any more implementations for RELEASE day to be implemented.

they've already said it's the last release and in the future they're going to copy osx and just update it but always keep it at 10.

In that vein, it will never be finished, EXCEPT THAT THEY'RE NOT ADDING ANY MORE FEATURES BEFORE RELEASE. There will be changes in the future, but by the metric of FINISHED, they only way to gauge that with this OS is release date, and in that vein, no, you're both wrong, it's feature locked and his point and yours are both wrong. it's bug fixes from here on out. i'm not sure how many times they have to state that before you get it.
    Jeddic likes this.
    06-13-2015 06:41 AM
    feature sets for windows 10 release are locked in and now it's bug fixes. there aren't any more implementations for RELEASE day to be implemented.

they've already said it's the last release and in the future they're going to copy osx and just update it but always keep it at 10.

In that vein, it will never be finished, EXCEPT THAT THEY'RE NOT ADDING ANY MORE FEATURES BEFORE RELEASE. There will be changes in the future, but by the metric of FINISHED, they only way to gauge that with this OS is release date, and in that vein, no, you're both wrong, it's feature locked and his point and yours are both wrong. it's bug fixes from here on out. i'm not sure how many times they have to state that before you get it.
    There is no way that Tablet mode / Continiuum are finished. I think they will be adding some more gesture controls, and customizations in the next builds. I also think that there's going to be a lot of updates and tweaks ask the way up to and after it's even released. And guess what......... Once again, you have an option to not upgrade. Nobody told you that you have to, MS will support 8.1 for a long time, just don't expect to get it for free more than a year from now.
    06-13-2015 03:32 PM
    well, you're welcome to talk to Gabe, who has repeatedly said that it's only bug fixes from now on.
    TBH, i do anticipate tablet changes, and actually i've just updated to 10130 on my dell venue pro 8, and it's OMG SO MUCH BETTER than the previous. really a lot of positive changes there.
    I'll upgrade for sure on desktops and tablet. mobile is something i'll have to see. losing cortana in canada is a pain in the *** with the upgrade.
    iamakii and Jeddic like this.
    06-13-2015 07:43 PM
    actually i've just updated to 10130 on my dell venue pro 8, and it's OMG SO MUCH BETTER than the previous. .
    I am using 10130 on DVP8 too and it is much better than previous builds. Hope to see incremental improvements from hereon.
    06-13-2015 11:56 PM
    Is W10 better on DVP8 than W8.1? I own this tablet as well.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
    06-14-2015 07:03 AM
    W10 without a doubt. You get Cortana, action center, Edge/ Spartan, Office mobile apps and new updated native apps. Tablet mode just needs tweaks and improvements
    06-14-2015 08:21 AM
    Nice, let's see. I signed up for Windows 10 update and waiting for 29th of July :-)
    06-14-2015 09:06 AM
93 1234