Why do Apple fans have great multitasking on iOS9

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ironic isn't it that Microsoft discarded their innovative tablet switching feature and apple picks it up to great acclaim. Another fumble by Microsoft.

How do you know that they've discarded it? Is this from using a PREVIEW bit of software? Odd that.

P.s. People CAN stay on Windows 8.1 if they want. It's almost if your post WANTS attention.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
How do you know that they've discarded it? Is this from using a PREVIEW bit of software? Odd that.

P.s. People CAN stay on Windows 8.1 if they want. It's almost if your post WANTS attention.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10134-could-drop-this-week-bug-fixes-from-here-on-out. Pretty sure that means NO new features, plus they have already shown how Win 10 will do app switching. Maybe you find it odd but its clear to anyone they have discarded the Win 8 app switching method.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Alright, I have to ask: How many people, whether average consumers or tech users, actually knew that Windows 8's left-edge swipe would cycle through apps, that left-edge swipe-and-back would bring up a recent app list with only Modern apps or Desktop immediately after getting Windows 8? Was it absolutely clear to you guys that that was possible? Were all the other gestures easily discoverable and usable? Did anyone ever say, "Oh, move the mouse to the top left, then drag down, to show recent apps; that makes so much sense!" Or do we feel this all makes more sense than what Windows 10 is doing just because we don't want to "re-learn" a way of doing, ergo, because we are being forced to do it differently than what you're used to, it automatically sucks.

I know on my end, even with the tutorials Microsoft put for the gestures in 8.1, I'm still showing people I know about the gestures for fast-switching apps, snapping apps, etc., because the gestures we learned to love is nowhere near discoverable to use, and only feels intuitive because we learned it. But I digress, slightly.

When it comes to task switching here and now, Windows 8.1's system was as follows:
  • Swipe from Left Edge; or Mouse Click from upper-left corner: Switch to last app, or cycle through apps. (1 or more gestures)
  • Swipe from Left Edge, then Right, then Click; or Mouse to upper left, drag down, then click: Bring up a task list of only Modern apps or the Desktop, and click to move to that task. (3 gestures)
  • Only Modern apps are shown individually; all desktop apps are only in Desktop.

Windows 10's Task View:
  • Swipe from left edge, then click: See all running tasks, and move to another task. (2 Gestures)
  • Click Task View on Taskbar, click: Same as above. (2 gestures).
  • UWP/Modern Apps and Legacy Desktop Apps are all shown equally in Task View.

Comparing the 8.1 vs 10 ways, is 10 really that bad, people, or as unusable as everyone complains about? The only thing that I see, and feel using the preview, in the new way of task switching is it now takes me 2 gestures instead of just 1 to move to my last task. I think adding one more gesture to switch to last used task is well worth the effort for the benefits of W10's way of task switching.

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You know, as I browse some of these comments here and on some other posts, the common theme seems to be that Microsoft had a feature, end users complained, Microsoft then moves away from said feature, Apple picks it up and uses it (or plans to) on it's devices and gets praised for it, while Microsoft gets labeled "stupid," "fumbling," etc, for discarding a feature that it's end users were complaining about. With that said, maybe what needs to change here is the Microsoft user base (not all of them, but enough so) as opposed to Microsoft or it's products. The one thing to me that has and will continue to separate Apple from Microsoft is end user loyalty. Apple releases a product, it's core users see it as innovation and a step forward. Microsoft releases the same product/feature (typically much earlier in many cases) and it's end users bash it because it differs from what they are accustomed to.
​ The lesson here is, Apple users lift up the company behind their software and devices. It is time for more Microsoft users to do the same. Hint: Unhappy End User? Identify and learn a new feature, see how it can be beneficial to you versus shouting (which is every bit your right) because something changed.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It is, well at least for the initial public release. From here on MS will be squashing bugs until it hits RTM. Maybe in Redstone we can see improvements, I see no reason otherwise.

Windows 10 will NEVER be finished. It's a constantly rolling slice of software as MS has dropped the Xp, 7, Vista, 8, next version thing.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The vast majority of people, despite not knowing why as they went on what they were told or didn't even try, Windows 8.1 and certain Touch elements are DEAD. Gone. Probably.

Maybe try not to blame MS but, instead, blame the people that simply have no idea what they're doing.

Apple owners are TOLD that they have a great new feature while MS cannot do anything right /s

P.s. Installing Windows 10 onto my Pro 3 right now as the VM testing's done. Here comes windows 10 no matter what you or I say.

Cosmin Reti

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Apple fans have great multitasking on iOS9 because most of the Apple users don't know what multitasking is but for sure it works perfectly :). Common guys, most of the windows users are like power users compared to Apple users. Most Apple user don't care about their OS, cloud etc... all they care is the social etiquete it brings with it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread is silly. We have multi-tasking and split screen in Windows 8/8.1/10. It is better in 10 than before. iOS9 is starting to get split screen and suddenly it's 'great multi-tasking'. Please. As usual, Apple is on catchup.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
All I can say is you're talking about two software releases that aren't even out yet. Why waist the brainpower even thinking about it.

I'm sad I'm even taking the time to respo

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It just looks like more webOS copies from 6 years ago. I haven't seen much innovated since then in a UX. Hardware has come light years, but the UX's are still trying to catch up with webOS and the dev teams put together way back in the future and it was the future having had palm and windows Treo's for years before.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 will NEVER be finished.

I said the first release is finished (well almost), MS is just polishing for prime time release. We all know Windows 10 will be updated moving forward. My point is we should expect Tablet Mode to be updated/ polished whatevs from hereon.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Look like everyone is also copying Samsung features.
Split screen.
Windows 8 had split screen long before Samsung put in the Galaxy Note. Windows 10 still has split-screen but it seems to have been hobbled. In W8.1 I can split the screen up to four ways but in W10 it seems to only allow two apps at once.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Your definition of multitasking is different than mine.
I have a tablet. Doesn't mean I want one thing maximized full screen all the time and everything else hidden in background. How is that multitasking?
How is that multitasking? Every version of Windows only allows you to interact with one window at a time. In OS X I can use my scroll wheel in a window without first having to give it focus. Of course, that impressive little trick is completely overshadowed by the need to click a window in OS X to give it focus before you can actually start doing anything more than that in it. e.g. If I want to drag some files from one Finder/Explorer window to another - in Windows I can click-drag to select the files and as I start that operation it will shift focus to that window but in OS X it won't. I have to click first to give that window focus, then click-drag to select. It used to work like Windows but they changed it a few versions ago and it can be infuriating when you are in a hurry.

But I digress. Multitasking is simply the act of being able to run multiple programs at the same time. You can listen to music while you compose an email on any smartphone, and you will still get alerts and notifications, so they are all very capable of multi-tasking, no matter how few or many interfaces you can see at one time.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence?

I learned a long time ago not to expect or demand one OS look and behave like another.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8 had split screen long before Samsung put in the Galaxy Note. Windows 10 still has split-screen but it seems to have been hobbled. In W8.1 I can split the screen up to four ways but in W10 it seems to only allow two apps at once.

I don't remember have it in my phone or phablet.
Where you got it?

Another question how long W8(I think you wrongly bring pc in phone segment) have slipt screen before Samsung ?
I want see how good your knowledge is about galaxy phone features.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234