Why do Apple fans have great multitasking on iOS9

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've seen what the OP is talking about in terms of what is going on with IOS9. I installed it on my IPad last night and what they've seemed to have done is borrow from google's android Lollipop card model. I think its nice if you are on that platform. On THIS platform, I manage just fine with how multitasking works on this platform. Can it improve? Of course. But what happens on IOS is just different. not necessarily better and far from great.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
FFS... Windows 10 is NOT FINISHED YET! Any opinion is simply void until it hits that final build. Moan, moan, moan and moan. It gets annoying.

As for multi-tasking in ios9... A haa haaa!

P.s. I own a Air 2 so I'm happy but won't, probably, use the feature. We'll see (It's not as if I used it on the Surface Pro)

Windows 10 is 1 month from release on PCs and Tablets. Microsoft has already stated that now we are only going to be receiving polish and bug fixes in the new builds before release.

Fixing the tablet interface would be adding a ****load of new features, which at this point, is not happening. Maybe Windows 10.1 will fix it.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the apps view on contrary, coz although view looks cool but arrangement hides preview of apps behind in stack. Vista flip 3d does amazing job in fact!

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nonsense.
Windows 10 is a huge step backwards. Microsoft should learn to stick to their guns if they want to be considered a pioneer. Changing perception with all media against you is no simple thing, but had they waited enough and believed in what they had in their hands (their competitors most certainly did, ripped them off just grand) today it would be much much different. Yes people were "shocked" the masses are stupid and slow to change, but 2 years later they had started buying on the change. Windows 10 changed all that. Sure, it is an easy sale, especially since it is free, something they should have done in the first place with Windows 8, but it brings computing back to 2000s.

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The big difference is that UX is a priority and Apple and it is literally (as we see with Win10) and afterthought with MS.
It is incredible that MS's approach to Win10 is to put a bunch of widgets on the screen, release it as a preview, and then create a UX around what the biggest complaints were on each screen of widgets. That is a sure way to get a terrible UX.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
FFS... Windows 10 is NOT FINISHED YET! Any opinion is simply void until it hits that final build. Moan, moan, moan and moan. It gets annoying.

As for multi-tasking in ios9... A haa haaa!

P.s. I own a Air 2 so I'm happy but won't, probably, use the feature. We'll see (It's not as if I used it on the Surface Pro)

You do know that windows 10 is feature locked though, right? there aren't any additional changes coming, just bug fixes. your point is irrelevant.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
One should also question whether "multitasking" involves any innovation discussion or not. From my standpoint in this day and age using several apps simultaneously on one screen doesn't have to do with innovation, it's more something everyone would expect to just work. Innovation would rather be a very distinctive / cutting-edge way of doing that.

Nima Chalebyani

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Look like everyone is also copying Samsung features.

Split screen.

Split screen isn't a samsung feature dude. Trust me ;) It's second nature to split the screens if you want to do two things at the same time. I would rather say it's a Nintendo feature from the SNES time. Or a windows feature since windows could do a special split screening feature since Vista already ;) Way before the first Galaxy Note or even first iPhone came out!

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure I would call ANY version of ANY multitasking on a cellphone/tablet "great". Aside from the odd Android tablet that lets you have more than 2 apps open at a time (in awkward layouts or clunky "windows") most devices restrict you to a maximum of two apps shown on screen at a time. And when they do it's typically this awkward side-by-side layout where at least one, if not both, of the apps are awkwardly squished. How is that impressive?

Mobile multitasking is a joke, and it's meant to be because the screen sizes simply don't have the real estate to do the job. It's also because you can't layout multiple windows and switch between things on the fly ala a desktop. The current method of being able to rapidly switch between apps with a button press makes the most sense for a phone. They are not designed to be "PC's on the go." You can only do so much with 4-6" screens. Phone multitasking should be measured by how swiftly you can switch between apps and how quick they are to function once you do.

IMO the only company who got multitasking right in the tablet space was Microsoft. Surface is a tablet that's got your casual, tablet use covered and it can also convert to a full desktop PC when needed. So perfect. Shame they're going to go and screw up the tablet mode with Windows 10.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Split screen isn't a samsung feature dude. Trust me ;) It's second nature to split the screens if you want to do two things at the same time. I would rather say it's a Nintendo feature from the SNES time. Or a windows feature since windows could do a special split screening feature since Vista already ;) Way before the first Galaxy Note or even first iPhone came out!

I mean to say Samsung is the first one to bring these features on mobile and phablet.
And everyone else is following them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
iOS put's apps to "Sleep" when those apps aren't in use. One of the features that both Windows and Android need.

If by "Windows" you mean WP or W10M, well guess what? That's exactly what happens... ever since WP7.1. apps that aren't in the foreground are suspended, i.e. sleeping. What that means is that while they do occupy space in RAM, they use no CPU cycles.

That isn't what's responsible for the resuming delay however.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Well you can snap four windows to the screen in W10 and alt-tab between them, or work on multiple things at once. Multi-tasking seems fine to me.

Besides, I recently read some uni research that correlates multi-tasking with negative health. People who focus on one job at a time do a much more efficient job, whilst people who excessively multi-task do a slopper job and cause their brains to fatigue super fast, and have more stress in their lives.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You do know that windows 10 is feature locked though, right? there aren't any additional changes coming, just bug fixes. your point is irrelevant.
What is left is implementation of features and which will be implemented now and which will be implemented later or not at all. We do have a fast and a slow ring for a reason. In that vein, it is not finished. Ergo, his point is more valid than yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3