Why do Apple fans have great multitasking on iOS9

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Split screen isn't a samsung feature dude. Trust me ;) It's second nature to split the screens if you want to do two things at the same time. I would rather say it's a Nintendo feature from the SNES time. Or a windows feature since windows could do a special split screening feature since Vista already ;) Way before the first Galaxy Note or even first iPhone came out!

Split screen in old SNES games is nothing like what we're talking about here. This is a single app rendering two views for each player. Also, split screen gaming predates the SNES by quite a few years.

Split screen is merely a UX feature, splitting two screens in half, that facilitates displaying multiple apps without the hassle of manipulating app windows. Having multiple apps on screen at once is something else altogether and goes back at least to the days Apple System 5 and Windows 1.0.

It's not some monumental feat to software engineering; people were doing multitasking with 66Mhz Pentiums and 2MB of RAM. The limiting factor for mobile devices has been screen size, resolution, SoC architecture wasn't designed for it and of course apps themselves have gotten more taxing on the hardware.

luniboy26

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the best thing Microsoft can do at this point is to step back from listening to any of the things you guys want because you guys change your mind more than you change your underwear. For the most part listening to it's users has propelled Windows forward in places it probably wouldn't have gotten to without us, but at the same time it comes to a point where you have to realize that your users may not always be right and they may need to tell the users what they want a la Apple.

Tablet mode got gimped because idiots moaned about their emphasis on tablet mode without equally telling Microsoft they actually enjoyed the tablet mode. At this point I just write most of you off as whiny 13 yr olds sitting on a computer telling grown ups what they should do meanwhile you haven't even learned to control your vocal cords. Instead of coming here complaining, come here and link people to your post asking Microsoft to keep tablet mode great. That way you can get people to actually do something like upvote your request (you know something they'll actually see...).

You guys have the most asinine way of getting your voice heard. It's amazing they even got users to actually join Insider and provide feedback in the first place, but it doesn't take a genius to realize the one's who did don't represent the voices in these forums because they use more of Windows than the casual brand loyal users you find here. Their vision of what Windows should be greatly differs from what casual users and WindowsCentral members would because they want the desktop experience and don't care for a balance of the two in a desktop environment (basically they're exactly like Apple users only they're more obdurately determined in their viewpoint and less likely to be swayed by whatever Microsoft says). In Apple's world users are fine having multiple devices that only do slightly different things, but if Apple told them they were going to make one device to do it all they'd all without a doubt applaud them and adjust. In contrast, if you tried that with Microsoft users they'd cry about how impractical that actually is and give a million ways as to how they could do it "The right way". Out of those two examples you only see one group asking the other to follow the examples of the other company even though they despise the companies practices.

Here's a link to one of the many asking to keep 8.1 start screen: https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...suggestions/6524562-keep-the-8-1-start-screen While I find it generally too broad in what it's asking, at least the user is being proactive and having their voice heard.

TL:DR
Organize your thoughts, figure out exactly what you want from tablet mode that can work with the current vision of Windows 10 (obviously just saying "keep the 8.1 start screen" isn't going to work), shop the idea around the forums until you refine it to a clear path and present it in the feature request. After that, link it here and go on with your lives. Otherwise, you all just sound like a bunch of children who can't get their way so they cry.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It just looks like more webOS copies from 6 years ago. I haven't seen much innovated since then in a UX. Hardware has come light years, but the UX's are still trying to catch up with webOS and the dev teams put together way back in the future and it was the future having had palm and windows Treo's for years before.

Long live webOS. It really was the best.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Somehow I'm a bit irritated. I know how the multitasking on Tablet + Win 8.1 worked, but I don't know how it works with Windows 10. I have seen a few videos for Windows 10, but I think I never saw one for Tablets. How is it different? Can someone give me a link & video?

Thank you!

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yea it's funny Desktop users complaining completely screwed up Windows on tablets. Now Apple copies all the cool things win 8.1 did on TABLETS and will be praised for being innovative.

Win 8.1 is going to be the win XP for tablets, Win 10 is such a horrible downgraded experience for touch.

Why does MS have to be so stupid? It's like they nerfed Win 10 for Tablet out of spite to try and win Desktop users back, when in reality they could have had "Tablet" mode act like win 8.1 and it would have had ZERO impact on win 10 users in desktop mode.

Is it released yet? Have they actually released a Windows 10 Tablet, or released the full finished version of Windows 10? Lets re-visit this issue when its released, and if we are still having the same conversation, then lets debate. Debating on Beta software is stupid.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Please. Apps on Windows Phone are already in their "sleep" mode when in the background. That's caused the infamous Resuming and is what I hate about it.

View attachment 106298

😂 resuming screen is bad already, but what's worse is sometimes (or most of time for me) the app doesn't actually resume but just got refreshed. But wait there's more, the worst is, the resumed app will refuse to launch at all until all apps in multitask screen are swiped away. Sometimes I question how WP8.1 manage RAM, since this didn't happen in WP8.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
�� resuming screen is bad already, but what's worse is sometimes (or most of time for me) the app doesn't actually resume but just got refreshed. But wait there's more, the worst is, the resumed app will refuse to launch at all until all apps in multitask screen are swiped away. Sometimes I question how WP8.1 manage RAM, since this didn't happen in WP8.

Resuming definitely got worse in 8.1 over 8. Let's hope 10 fixes it.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
What is left is implementation of features and which will be implemented now and which will be implemented later or not at all. We do have a fast and a slow ring for a reason. In that vein, it is not finished. Ergo, his point is more valid than yours.
feature sets for windows 10 release are locked in and now it's bug fixes. there aren't any more implementations for RELEASE day to be implemented.

they've already said it's the last release and in the future they're going to copy osx and just update it but always keep it at 10.

In that vein, it will never be finished, EXCEPT THAT THEY'RE NOT ADDING ANY MORE FEATURES BEFORE RELEASE. There will be changes in the future, but by the metric of FINISHED, they only way to gauge that with this OS is release date, and in that vein, no, you're both wrong, it's feature locked and his point and yours are both wrong. it's bug fixes from here on out. i'm not sure how many times they have to state that before you get it.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
feature sets for windows 10 release are locked in and now it's bug fixes. there aren't any more implementations for RELEASE day to be implemented.

they've already said it's the last release and in the future they're going to copy osx and just update it but always keep it at 10.

In that vein, it will never be finished, EXCEPT THAT THEY'RE NOT ADDING ANY MORE FEATURES BEFORE RELEASE. There will be changes in the future, but by the metric of FINISHED, they only way to gauge that with this OS is release date, and in that vein, no, you're both wrong, it's feature locked and his point and yours are both wrong. it's bug fixes from here on out. i'm not sure how many times they have to state that before you get it.

There is no way that Tablet mode / Continiuum are finished. I think they will be adding some more gesture controls, and customizations in the next builds. I also think that there's going to be a lot of updates and tweaks ask the way up to and after it's even released. And guess what......... Once again, you have an option to not upgrade. Nobody told you that you have to, MS will support 8.1 for a long time, just don't expect to get it for free more than a year from now.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
well, you're welcome to talk to Gabe, who has repeatedly said that it's only bug fixes from now on.
TBH, i do anticipate tablet changes, and actually i've just updated to 10130 on my dell venue pro 8, and it's OMG SO MUCH BETTER than the previous. really a lot of positive changes there.
I'll upgrade for sure on desktops and tablet. mobile is something i'll have to see. losing cortana in canada is a pain in the *** with the upgrade.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
W10 without a doubt. You get Cortana, action center, Edge/ Spartan, Office mobile apps and new updated native apps. Tablet mode just needs tweaks and improvements

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I didnt go through all the replies but how the author of this post can discuss/compare/guarantee that the IOS9 multitasking is great if the public release was not even released?!? Im a BIG Apple fan and I always try to defend Apple but I canto defende right now :-/

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What screen size is that on?
Split Screen handling has got quite a bit better:
Snap in Windows 10 refined with Snap Assist, Corner Snap, and Snap Fill
Have you tried it? It doesn't work on my 10" tablet at all. That's probably because I am in Tablet Mode but it's a fecking tablet so that seems appropriate. All Tablet Mode seems to do is switch off features, to stop your tablet from being usable. It seems to me as if Microsoft decided the best way to make desktop users happy was to **** over everyone who likes Windows 8, rather than try to make both groups happy.

Why is a full blown OS being compared to a mobile OS?
Because both are used on tablets and lots of us have tablets?

Is it released yet? Have they actually released a Windows 10 Tablet, or released the full finished version of Windows 10? Lets re-visit this issue when its released, and if we are still having the same conversation, then lets debate. Debating on Beta software is stupid.
No, it is the perfect time for debate. Once it is released, it is too late to do anything. And if you think W10 isn't feature complete just 6 weeks out from full release, you are kidding yourself. The features you see now in Windows 10 are the features you will have to live with for at least the next 6 months. For me that means that for at least the next 6 months the tablet I have put Windows 10 onto will remain a brick. I may as well put it into storage, it is completely unusable without a mouse and keyboard. If I had realised I couldn't go back to 8.1 from the recovery partition I would never have installed it (should have read the fine print).

Once again, you have an option to not upgrade. Nobody told you that you have to, MS will support 8.1 for a long time, just don't expect to get it for free more than a year from now.
Given how bad W10 is on my tablet, and the fact I cannot roll back to W8.1, it looks like I am going to have to pay $100 NOT to have W10. And do you know what? It will be the best $100 I will spend this year.

TBH, i do anticipate tablet changes, and actually i've just updated to 10130 on my dell venue pro 8, and it's OMG SO MUCH BETTER than the previous. really a lot of positive changes there.
Really? I can't get my stupid tablet to upgrade, the download gets to 99% and goes no further. What has improved in 10130?
I'll upgrade for sure on desktops and tablet. mobile is something i'll have to see. losing cortana in canada is a pain in the *** with the upgrade.
I am the other way around. I quite like most of what they are doing with Mobile, although the new graphical direction in apps is a bit ugly. It's already on my daily driver and I don't miss Cortana at all, although Quiet Hours was very convenient and it's gone too. But I cannot imagine a time I would want to swap W8 for W10 on any PC I own. W10 doesn't have so much as a single new feature that interests me but it has removed almost everything that made me excited to leave W7 behind.

W10 without a doubt. You get Cortana, action center, Edge/ Spartan, Office mobile apps and new updated native apps. Tablet mode just needs tweaks and improvements
Those are all reasons NOT to upgrade. Cortana only works in three countries, which is about 1% of the total number of countries in the world. Action Centre does less than the Charms Bar it replaces, yet takes up three times as much of your screen. It is also ugly and hard to use with touch. (Try to collapse/expand the buttons without also putting your tablet into flight mode.) Edge is just another desktop browser, it is almost unusable with touch. My tablet already came with Office, the apps are redundant. None of the other updated apps I have tried are in any way better than those they replace. Finally, Tablet Mode doesn't just need "tweaks and improvements", it needs to be thrown out and replaced with something that can be used on a tablet. Something like Windows 8 would be perfect.

Maybe all of that would be OK if W10 offered anything of substance in it's place but it doesn't. The Desktop experience is still 99% the same as W8, which itself is 99% the same as W7 and Vista, except that where W8 made things better where it was different, W10 makes them worse. Overall, upgrading from W8 to W10 means that you will lose a lot and gain very little, if anything at all. You would have to be crazy but, of course, if you were crazy enough to stick with W7 when you could have had W8, then maybe you won't notice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion