Why do Apple fans have great multitasking on iOS9

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried it? It doesn't work on my 10" tablet at all. That's probably because I am in Tablet Mode but it's a fecking tablet so that seems appropriate. All Tablet Mode seems to do is switch off features, to stop your tablet from being usable. It seems to me as if Microsoft decided the best way to make desktop users happy was to **** over everyone who likes Windows 8, rather than try to make both groups happy.

Because both are used on tablets and lots of us have tablets?

No, it is the perfect time for debate. Once it is released, it is too late to do anything. And if you think W10 isn't feature complete just 6 weeks out from full release, you are kidding yourself. The features you see now in Windows 10 are the features you will have to live with for at least the next 6 months. For me that means that for at least the next 6 months the tablet I have put Windows 10 onto will remain a brick. I may as well put it into storage, it is completely unusable without a mouse and keyboard. If I had realised I couldn't go back to 8.1 from the recovery partition I would never have installed it (should have read the fine print).

Given how bad W10 is on my tablet, and the fact I cannot roll back to W8.1, it looks like I am going to have to pay $100 NOT to have W10. And do you know what? It will be the best $100 I will spend this year.

Really? I can't get my stupid tablet to upgrade, the download gets to 99% and goes no further. What has improved in 10130?

I am the other way around. I quite like most of what they are doing with Mobile, although the new graphical direction in apps is a bit ugly. It's already on my daily driver and I don't miss Cortana at all, although Quiet Hours was very convenient and it's gone too. But I cannot imagine a time I would want to swap W8 for W10 on any PC I own. W10 doesn't have so much as a single new feature that interests me but it has removed almost everything that made me excited to leave W7 behind.

Those are all reasons NOT to upgrade. Cortana only works in three countries, which is about 1% of the total number of countries in the world. Action Centre does less than the Charms Bar it replaces, yet takes up three times as much of your screen. It is also ugly and hard to use with touch. (Try to collapse/expand the buttons without also putting your tablet into flight mode.) Edge is just another desktop browser, it is almost unusable with touch. My tablet already came with Office, the apps are redundant. None of the other updated apps I have tried are in any way better than those they replace. Finally, Tablet Mode doesn't just need "tweaks and improvements", it needs to be thrown out and replaced with something that can be used on a tablet. Something like Windows 8 would be perfect.

Maybe all of that would be OK if W10 offered anything of substance in it's place but it doesn't. The Desktop experience is still 99% the same as W8, which itself is 99% the same as W7 and Vista, except that where W8 made things better where it was different, W10 makes them worse. Overall, upgrading from W8 to W10 means that you will lose a lot and gain very little, if anything at all. You would have to be crazy but, of course, if you were crazy enough to stick with W7 when you could have had W8, then maybe you won't notice.

The first one is hilarious. Three countries? United States, the United Kingdom, China, Canada, Australia, India, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy constitute more than three countries. And it's likely to be more by the time 10 releases. Let me go try for you, with expanding the controls, on my SP 3. Wait, Flight Mode is on the bottom row for me. The one right under the "expand/collapse" is " all settings". So I don't see how that is even possible, the button isn't even close. How are you doing it?

Next is the difference between the Office apps you have and the ones you get in 10. You talk about using a tablet, but you don't realize just how much better these news ones are for touch. Then again, you seem to think that the built in apps are "redundant". I honestly have to ask if you know what that word means, since there's nothing redundant that I can see about the single mail app, the single calendar app, the single music, video, etc apps.

Then we get to the "tablet mode can't be used with a tablet" argument, which is equally hilarious. I have a SP3, and when I use it I use it as a tablet. So, obviously, I'm either a miracle worker or you're completely wrong.

All in all, this is basically a rant against Windows 10 with NO substance. You act like you've used this with a tablet, in tablet mode no less, but the way you describe it makes it obvious that you're nothing more than a troll.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The first one is hilarious. Three countries? United States, the United Kingdom, China, Canada, Australia, India, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy constitute more than three countries.
whoa, boyyyyy
you're confused. cortana works in all those countries in windows 8.1. it doesn't in 10. Canada for one isn't supported, australia either, india loses it. it works now, but not with 10, and microsoft has stated it won't for a while. so for the VAST majority of nations, it's a useless feature. it's actually a usability step backwards since every time i start my dell venue 8 pro it opens the useless search menu, slows down my computer, takes up half the screen to literally only show me the bing image of the day.

there are legitimate concerns with 10. in many ways, he's right, in many ways it's a step backwards. clicking on the start menu button is a TERRIBLE way to open start on a tablet compared to charms/start. that loss alone frustrates the hell out of me. the new start screen isn't an improvement on tablets. there is literally nothing better about it, except of course, that it runs like a dog and crashes constantly (which i doubt will be fixed by july 29th).

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
whoa, boyyyyy
you're confused. cortana works in all those countries in windows 8.1. it doesn't in 10. Canada for one isn't supported, australia either, india loses it. it works now, but not with 10, and microsoft has stated it won't for a while. so for the VAST majority of nations, it's a useless feature. it's actually a usability step backwards since every time i start my dell venue 8 pro it opens the useless search menu, slows down my computer, takes up half the screen to literally only show me the bing image of the day.

there are legitimate concerns with 10. in many ways, he's right, in many ways it's a step backwards. clicking on the start menu button is a TERRIBLE way to open start on a tablet compared to charms/start. that loss alone frustrates the hell out of me. the new start screen isn't an improvement on tablets. there is literally nothing better about it, except of course, that it runs like a dog and crashes constantly (which i doubt will be fixed by july 29th).

Wait, what? Clicking the start button, whether it be the software or hardware one, is better than opening charms that sometimes failed to open. As for running like a dog and crashing constantly, never had any of those problems after the first couple betas. I find there to be plenty of reasons to upgrade.

Seems like every time I come to Windows Central nowadays, I kind of wish I didn't. You guys are never happy.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It might be a matter of preference but swiping the right side to show charms press the windows button is faster and easier compared to precisely reaching it at the bottom left.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If I had realised I couldn't go back to 8.1 from the recovery partition I would never have installed it (should have read the fine print).

Given how bad W10 is on my tablet, and the fact I cannot roll back to W8.1, it looks like I am going to have to pay $100 NOT to have W10. And do you know what? It will be the best $100 I will spend this year.

Although I now share your thoughts on the tablet mode, under Windows 10, anything you have to say is pretty silly seeing as you managed to basically trash your own machine. You're not the intended type of person for the test preview really.

P.s. I REALLY do hope that MS improves the tablet mode but, other than that, Windows 10 will be installed on EVERY desktop/laptop I own. The Surface Pro 3 will stay on Windows 8.1

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont know, ios 9 can only multitask with 2 apps at once, and only on the newest hardware.

We can multitask more apps at once and on all windows 10 tablets.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, I don't know about you, but I booted up my W8 PC and it told me all those things. So yeah, I guess I had to watch as it told me, which was super difficult or whatever. Then I knew how to do it.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Each build of Windows 10 will be finished prior to release. This is how updates work. And if the design idea that MS follows is poor, then individual updates following that design will be poor. If MS approach at this point is to backtrack on features and usability from W8, that may improve at some point but for now this is one more case of MS removing features in yet another in a long series of pivots.

W8 was really revolutionary and great in that the UI was very usable for both mouse-and-keyboard and touch interfaces. I found it an improvement over Windows 7. However, there was a small but noisy group of change-averse users who spoke out, and MS has regrettably listened to them.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Why is a full blown OS being compared to a mobile OS?

Because if you buy a Windows tablet and an iPad each at about 500, that's what you get. Windows 8 tablets have great multitasking/switching, and now iPads will be getting similar features with the iOS 9 beta.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I didnt go through all the replies but how the author of this post can discuss/compare/guarantee that the IOS9 multitasking is great if the public release was not even released?!? Im a BIG Apple fan and I always try to defend Apple but I canto defende right now :-/

I think it's because iOS is in beta now so users can actually go use it on their iPads. So at this point it's something users can actually see.

Seems like every time I come to Windows Central nowadays, I kind of wish I didn't. You guys are never happy.

I was happy with Windows 8. I really liked it.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
tablet mode is already a pretty nice experience, if you ask me. All you need to do is snap a window to the side and all the apps you have will be on the other side, waiting to be the chosen. If there would be anything I'd change, it'd be pressing the start button again to go back to the app that I triggered it in.

I still don't get why we were arguing about 1 feature that could easily be modded onto W10 after a month or so.

RedTez

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
NON of the above that i read has ANYTHING to do with multi tasking and how crippled our thousands of pounds desk tops have become since dropping us into tablet mode. What needs to happen now is a rival OS to come and wipe the floor with this lazy pile of arrogant sanitized toilet filled cat litter.

You now CANNOT open page after page in an extensive search, it limits you to three particularly if they are slow at opening. You cannot have a folder open and in use by win rar and then open a second instance of the same folder. The machine just completely feels notchy, nerdy and extremely time wasting.

WHY do you think desktops would want to use TABLET software and features?? Sure i see why tablet users would want to use desktop windows but it doesn't traverse the other way. As i say - lazy, unimaginitive and a lame excuse for what once was the best OS in the world.

THIS and many more instances is why Microsoft should be liquidated and Bill Gates liquidised. He is so busy giving his over large sums of money away there really is nothing left to come out of him of any benefit to anyone. Plot and LOST it is the summary of Windows 10!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99