The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-03-2015 04:56 AM
93 123 ...
tools
    While us stuck on a lousy tablet mode on Windows 10.
    Jeddic likes this.
    06-09-2015 01:01 AM
    Tell me what you're talking about. What multitasking for ios and how is w10 poor in that respect?
    Last edited by Oliverspin; 06-12-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    06-09-2015 01:05 AM
    Because "everyone" moaned about the changes that came with the Win8 interface. So Microsoft has back-tracked and is ending up with an interface designed by committee. Which is, of course, a complete cumpuddle.
    06-09-2015 01:09 AM
    Tell me what yyou'retalking about. What multitasking for ios and how is w10 poor in that respect?
    Fast switching thru apps by flicking left side gone for one. Tablet mode just feels.. incomplete compared to 8.1.
    jasongw, aXross, H Seldon and 2 others like this.
    06-09-2015 01:53 AM
    Because they are really good at copying things and actually make it to work and nicely designed.
    06-09-2015 02:18 AM
    Because they are really good at copying things and actually make it to work and nicely designed.
    I agree 100% for this!

Unlike Microsoft, copying the hamburger menu, but without the swiping from left gesture like Android. Thus making Windows 10 for phone half-baked.
    Yazen and 0000alex0000 like this.
    06-09-2015 04:18 AM
    Look like everyone is also copying Samsung features.

Split screen.
    06-09-2015 05:00 AM
    Apple sits out and waits for others to innovate, watches their innovation fail and or be useless, takes the innovation for themselves and perfects it for their own ecosystem. This IMO is smart.

Microsoft should take that for consideration. Not the copying part but the polish/perfection part.

For example, the Surface Pro was criticized for 1. Not having good "lapability" 2.Having poor battery life 3. Being too thick

How can you make a product like this and not tell that it is far from comfortable to use in lap? Microsoft could've very well done something esque of the SP3 kickstand in the original if they had just thought about other ways how they could make it more "lappable", instead of just giving it a fixed kickstand. Poor battery life is also something that could've been avoided first generation. Although thickness may not have. maybe the tech just wasn't there yet? I don't know. It's like the first Surface Pro was rushed IMO

Did they make two half-baked Surface Pro's on purpose? because the problems with them were so unavoidable...

The Surface Pro 3 on the other hand came out Microsoft's womb with the face and heart of an angel...
    aXross and libra89 like this.
    06-09-2015 09:34 AM
    With regards to Surface lappability, why didn't they just make a kickstand with a continuous hinge on the bottom rather than the middle kind of like the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2?
    06-09-2015 09:39 AM
    Your definition of multitasking is different than mine.

I have a tablet. Doesn't mean I want one thing maximized full screen all the time and everything else hidden in background. How is that multitasking?

Show me an iOS machine where I can run multiple apps side by side, or 26 different apps each in their own sizeable window all visible and actually processing simultaneously, then I will take you seriously.
    06-09-2015 09:45 AM
    Don't worry, Microsoft likes to emulate apple as much as they can so expect them to copy this in Windows 11.... /s
    06-09-2015 09:57 AM
    With regards to Surface lappability, why didn't they just make a kickstand with a continuous hinge on the bottom rather than the middle kind of like the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2?
    Chances are that Lenovo has a patent on that hinge and MSFT has their own patent on the hinge.
    06-09-2015 10:26 AM
    Apple fans will have multitasking sometime in September or October. Right now they are on iOS 8 so not real multitasking yet.
    As I was following the WWDC my thoughts on seeing the features in iOS 9 were that they copied what MSFT tried to do with Windows 8.1 but wasn't too successful.
    James8561 likes this.
    06-09-2015 10:28 AM
    Once this is implemented I am expecting the cries of reduced battery life and hot devices.

If Microsoft copied the hamburger menu I'd love to know who from.. The very first versions of windows had a hamburger menu and that was a LONG time ago.
    920Walker, Hoekie, ectobs and 2 others like this.
    06-09-2015 11:05 AM
    Once this is implemented I am expecting the cries of reduced battery life and hot devices.

If Microsoft copied the hamburger menu I'd love to know who from.. The very first versions of windows had a hamburger menu and that was a LONG time ago.
    Lol, its only possible on the new iPad air 2. All the other ios devices cant do split screen multitasking. I don't expect performance or battery complaints at all and this is a good way to 'encourage' people to upgrade to their latest product.
    sweatshopking and Jeddic like this.
    06-09-2015 11:29 AM
    Yea it's funny Desktop users complaining completely screwed up Windows on tablets. Now Apple copies all the cool things win 8.1 did on TABLETS and will be praised for being innovative.

Win 8.1 is going to be the win XP for tablets, Win 10 is such a horrible downgraded experience for touch.

Why does MS have to be so stupid? It's like they nerfed Win 10 for Tablet out of spite to try and win Desktop users back, when in reality they could have had "Tablet" mode act like win 8.1 and it would have had ZERO impact on win 10 users in desktop mode.
    Last edited by swanlee; 06-09-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    06-09-2015 11:38 AM
    Tbh if they bring back W8.1 multitasking gestures, I would only want the new Start screen animation to return
    aXross likes this.
    06-09-2015 11:56 AM
    FFS... Windows 10 is NOT FINISHED YET! Any opinion is simply void until it hits that final build. Moan, moan, moan and moan. It gets annoying.

As for multi-tasking in ios9... A haa haaa!

P.s. I own a Air 2 so I'm happy but won't, probably, use the feature. We'll see (It's not as if I used it on the Surface Pro)
    stevemind likes this.
    06-10-2015 04:42 AM
    Yea it's funny Desktop users complaining completely screwed up Windows on tablets. Now Apple copies all the cool things win 8.1 did on TABLETS and will be praised for being innovative.

Win 8.1 is going to be the win XP for tablets, Win 10 is such a horrible downgraded experience for touch.

Why does MS have to be so stupid? It's like they nerfed Win 10 for Tablet out of spite to try and win Desktop users back, when in reality they could have had "Tablet" mode act like win 8.1 and it would have had ZERO impact on win 10 users in desktop mode.

Ironic isn't it that Microsoft discarded their innovative tablet switching feature and apple picks it up to great acclaim. Another fumble by Microsoft.

However seeing as one of their stated aims with Win 10 is to make it easier for ios and android users to switch they may very well bring this feature back...
    Last edited by theefman; 06-10-2015 at 07:41 AM.
    920Walker and sketchy9 like this.
    06-10-2015 06:05 AM
    You mean to tell me you won't shop around in Amazon while playing Netflix/Amazon Prime or such PIP? Kinda don't believe you there..
    06-10-2015 07:03 AM
    Ironic isn't it that Microsoft discarded their innovative tablet switching feature and apple picks it up to great acclaim. Another fumble by Microsoft.
    How do you know that they've discarded it? Is this from using a PREVIEW bit of software? Odd that.

P.s. People CAN stay on Windows 8.1 if they want. It's almost if your post WANTS attention.
    06-10-2015 07:33 AM
    How do you know that they've discarded it? Is this from using a PREVIEW bit of software? Odd that.

P.s. People CAN stay on Windows 8.1 if they want. It's almost if your post WANTS attention.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...om-here-on-out. Pretty sure that means NO new features, plus they have already shown how Win 10 will do app switching. Maybe you find it odd but its clear to anyone they have discarded the Win 8 app switching method.
    noersetiawan and Jeddic like this.
    06-10-2015 07:58 AM
    Alright, I have to ask: How many people, whether average consumers or tech users, actually knew that Windows 8's left-edge swipe would cycle through apps, that left-edge swipe-and-back would bring up a recent app list with only Modern apps or Desktop immediately after getting Windows 8? Was it absolutely clear to you guys that that was possible? Were all the other gestures easily discoverable and usable? Did anyone ever say, "Oh, move the mouse to the top left, then drag down, to show recent apps; that makes so much sense!" Or do we feel this all makes more sense than what Windows 10 is doing just because we don't want to "re-learn" a way of doing, ergo, because we are being forced to do it differently than what you're used to, it automatically sucks.

I know on my end, even with the tutorials Microsoft put for the gestures in 8.1, I'm still showing people I know about the gestures for fast-switching apps, snapping apps, etc., because the gestures we learned to love is nowhere near discoverable to use, and only feels intuitive because we learned it. But I digress, slightly.

When it comes to task switching here and now, Windows 8.1's system was as follows:
    • Swipe from Left Edge; or Mouse Click from upper-left corner: Switch to last app, or cycle through apps. (1 or more gestures)
    • Swipe from Left Edge, then Right, then Click; or Mouse to upper left, drag down, then click: Bring up a task list of only Modern apps or the Desktop, and click to move to that task. (3 gestures)
    • Only Modern apps are shown individually; all desktop apps are only in Desktop.

Windows 10's Task View:
    • Swipe from left edge, then click: See all running tasks, and move to another task. (2 Gestures)
    • Click Task View on Taskbar, click: Same as above. (2 gestures).
    • UWP/Modern Apps and Legacy Desktop Apps are all shown equally in Task View.

Comparing the 8.1 vs 10 ways, is 10 really that bad, people, or as unusable as everyone complains about? The only thing that I see, and feel using the preview, in the new way of task switching is it now takes me 2 gestures instead of just 1 to move to my last task. I think adding one more gesture to switch to last used task is well worth the effort for the benefits of W10's way of task switching.
    06-10-2015 08:50 AM
    You know, as I browse some of these comments here and on some other posts, the common theme seems to be that Microsoft had a feature, end users complained, Microsoft then moves away from said feature, Apple picks it up and uses it (or plans to) on it's devices and gets praised for it, while Microsoft gets labeled "stupid," "fumbling," etc, for discarding a feature that it's end users were complaining about. With that said, maybe what needs to change here is the Microsoft user base (not all of them, but enough so) as opposed to Microsoft or it's products. The one thing to me that has and will continue to separate Apple from Microsoft is end user loyalty. Apple releases a product, it's core users see it as innovation and a step forward. Microsoft releases the same product/feature (typically much earlier in many cases) and it's end users bash it because it differs from what they are accustomed to.
    ​ The lesson here is, Apple users lift up the company behind their software and devices. It is time for more Microsoft users to do the same. Hint: Unhappy End User? Identify and learn a new feature, see how it can be beneficial to you versus shouting (which is every bit your right) because something changed.
    06-10-2015 09:06 AM
    FFS... Windows 10 is NOT FINISHED YET!
    It is, well at least for the initial public release. From here on MS will be squashing bugs until it hits RTM. Maybe in Redstone we can see improvements, I see no reason otherwise.
    Jeddic likes this.
    06-10-2015 09:56 AM
93 123 ...